PDA

View Full Version : I want my F6B to ride like My GOLDWING !!!! HELP

fl1madmax
08-02-2016, 06:07 AM
My F6B is to Hard no matter where I set rear Shock, Has anyone found some changes I can do front and rear to make it ride like a Gold Wing
I love my bike but want it softer , JB

VStarRider
08-02-2016, 07:32 AM
I'll be interested to read the responses to this thread. My rear pre-load is set at full soft and I also think the ride is too firm. I weigh 230 lbs, probably 240 with gear on.

willtill
08-02-2016, 07:35 AM
I'll be interested to read the responses to this thread. My rear pre-load is set at full soft and I also think the ride is too firm. I weigh 230 lbs, probably 240 with gear on.

I think the stock seat has a lot to do with the "firmness". I have been told that Wing seats are more comfortable.

shooter
08-02-2016, 07:45 AM

You don't understand the concept. You need to raise the preload up to halfway and it will ride better.

Felloverboard
08-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Opinions vary on this. Medium setting makes this the most comfortable bike seat I have ever had. Rode 915 miles in one day from Orlando, FL to Parkersburg, WV with no issues. I am about 200 lb. 5'8. I also have a Bridgestone Driveguard rear tire at 28--30 lbs whicch creates a softer ride and still handles great on The Dragon.

98valk
08-02-2016, 10:13 AM
My F6B is to Hard no matter where I set rear Shock, Has anyone found some changes I can do front and rear to make it ride like a Gold Wing
I love my bike but want it softer , JB

I believe that 2012 and up have a stiffer rear spring. If your wing is older than that, that could be why it is a softer ride.

Also, could the F6 need some break in time to soften up? Mine has always seemed fine. Bought it slightly used (1400 miles).

fl1madmax
08-02-2016, 10:17 AM
I think the stock seat has a lot to do with the "firmness". I have been told that Wing seats are more comfortable.

its the Shocks !!!!!!!!! there must be something out there I'm 230ld too, I have had 3 Gold Wings and there Sweet,
just want my F6b to Soften up ! with out losing Sport ability. I love the twisties !!!!!!!!

fl1madmax
08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
You don't understand the concept. You need to raise the preload up to halfway and it will ride better.

I have moved the preload from Full closed and full the other way and left it in the Middle, Still Hard, rear on bumps that I use to
drive over on Wing and never felt a thing ?

VStarRider
08-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Please explain.

Based on my understanding, the spring controls the shock. With the preload minimal, the spring is not "pre"-compressed, allowing the shock to have its full stroke. By increasing the preload, the spring becomes compressed, controlling the motion of the shock, and preventing the shock from easily extending and compressing its full travel.

This, in turn, creates a firmer ride with the shock less "free" to use its range of motion.

opas ride
08-02-2016, 11:42 AM
I have moved the preload from Full closed and full the other way and left it in the Middle, Still Hard, rear on bumps that I use to
drive over on Wing and never felt a thing ?

Buy another Wing and move on I suppose.....JMHO

Travelor
08-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Please explain.

Based on my understanding, the spring controls the shock. With the preload minimal, the spring is not "pre"-compressed, allowing the shock to have its full stroke. By increasing the preload, the spring becomes compressed, controlling the motion of the shock, and preventing the shock from easily extending and compressing its full travel.

This, in turn, creates a firmer ride with the shock less "free" to use its range of motion.

Actually, no, the spring doesn't control the shock, the shock controls the spring (it restricts the free movement, the natural frequency, of the spring), dampening or restricting the movement but not restricting the distance the spring can move. The adjuster that is provided on the F6b is a spring preload adjuster, not a shock damper adjustment. With the preload set at minimal, the spring is not pre-compressed (it actually is, but for the discussion here we will assume that it isn't) and as soon as someone sits on the bike, the spring sags (compresses). With minimal preload, the spring compresses more - therefore leaving less travel to absorb bumps. In other words, it bottoms out the suspension sooner. If you crank up the preload, the spring now doesn't move as far when initially loaded with the rider, leaving more travel to absorb bumps.

As an example, if we have a total of 4 inches rear suspension travel (not spring travel, the suspension itself as limited by the shock travel), and there is no preload dialed onto the spring, the rear suspension may sag 2 inches with a 200 pound rider. That leaves only 2 inches (like a Harley) of travel left out of the 4 inches total to absorb bumps. Then crank up the preload so the same 200 pound rider only compresses the spring 1 inch, there are now 3 inches of travel left to absorb bumps. This is a very simple example, and assumes that the spring is a straight rate spring as opposed to a progressive rate spring (which it probably is), but the action is similar.

Steve 0080
08-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Travelor's explanation is the understanding that I have. I also heard there were two springs used from day one.

shooter
08-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Get 2 tire gauges and make sure you only have 40 lbs in the tires. I've seen gauges be off by 20 lbs or more.

53driver
08-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Actually, no, the spring doesn't control the shock, the shock controls the spring (it restricts the free movement, the natural frequency, of the spring), dampening or restricting the movement but not restricting the distance the spring can move. The adjuster that is provided on the F6b is a spring preload adjuster, not a shock damper adjustment. With the preload set at minimal, the spring is not pre-compressed (it actually is, but for the discussion here we will assume that it isn't) and as soon as someone sits on the bike, the spring sags (compresses). With minimal preload, the spring compresses more - therefore leaving less travel to absorb bumps. In other words, it bottoms out the suspension sooner. If you crank up the preload, the spring now doesn't move as far when initially loaded with the rider, leaving more travel to absorb bumps.

As an example, if we have a total of 4 inches rear suspension travel (not spring travel, the suspension itself as limited by the shock travel), and there is no preload dialed onto the spring, the rear suspension may sag 2 inches with a 200 pound rider. That leaves only 2 inches (like a Harley) of travel left out of the 4 inches total to absorb bumps. Then crank up the preload so the same 200 pound rider only compresses the spring 1 inch, there are now 3 inches of travel left to absorb bumps. This is a very simple example, and assumes that the spring is a straight rate spring as opposed to a progressive rate spring (which it probably is), but the action is similar.

Great explanation! Thanks!

VStarRider
08-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Thank you. I had it backwards. That makes sense. The spring is the one that needs to be controlled as it would want to bounce all over the place.

On snowmobiles, we crank up the preload if the suspension is bottoming out too often...the additional preload buys more travel, as you said.

moosedog
08-02-2016, 09:24 PM

+1 mine rides much better set up this way and running tires at 40lbs - even on the stock seat.

SoCal Rich
08-02-2016, 09:41 PM
If you want an F6B that rides more like your GW, take the trunk and backseat off your GW! :lolup::lolup::lolup:

BIGLRY
08-02-2016, 10:41 PM

I could not have said it any better and why with my 400 lb carcuss I set mine all the way up and get the softest ride ever with all the travel :yes: