PDA

View Full Version : My not so good tomtom rider 400

lloydmoore1
08-02-2016, 06:51 PM
So after getting rained on for the first time my tom tom got wet and shut off. The picture is of the unit the next day, you can clearly see the condensation on the inside of the screen, So I send an email to tom tom explain what happened and included the picture hoping to have it replaced or money refunded. Here is the first response I got back;

Dear Moore,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding Rider device. My name is Nikhil, and I will be assisting you with this.

The reference number for your query is 160802-000871.

Moore, I am sorry to hear that your Rider device is not working properly as it is not turning on. It seems that the issue might be due to low battery on device. I would kindly request you to plug the device to the wall charger for 3-4 hours and then try to turn on the device. Make sure the device should be off when connected to the wall charger.

Please let me know the outcome of the issue.

Sweet geesusss I sent them a picture too..so now I guess the run around will start...not happy..wait out more to follow as the story unfolds.
Lloyd

Steve 0080
08-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Not sure you will get much help...Is that unit water proof ? I can see it is not but should it be?

I know where a Zumo 550 with locking base that can be bought !

lloydmoore1
08-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Not sure you will get much help...Is that unit water proof ? I can see it is not but should it be?

Yes it is supposed to be and one of the main reasons for choosing it.

Steve 0080
08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Then they should fix it !!!

willtill
08-02-2016, 08:11 PM
So after getting rained on for the first time my tom tom got wet and shut off. The picture is of the unit the next day, you can clearly see the condensation on the inside of the screen, So I send an email to tom tom explain what happened and included the picture hoping to have it replaced or money refunded. Here is the first response I got back;

Dear Moore,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding Rider device. My name is Nikhil, and I will be assisting you with this.

The reference number for your query is 160802-000871.

Moore, I am sorry to hear that your Rider device is not working properly as it is not turning on. It seems that the issue might be due to low battery on device. I would kindly request you to plug the device to the wall charger for 3-4 hours and then try to turn on the device. Make sure the device should be off when connected to the wall charger.

Please let me know the outcome of the issue.

Sweet geesusss I sent them a picture too..so now I guess the run around will start...not happy..wait out more to follow as the story unfolds.
Lloyd

Tech Support is going to run through their troubleshooting "Monkey Scripts" before they will ultimately fix it. Just go along with the game. Patience.

I'm running a non-waterproof AWESOME Magellan Roadmate.. and use a plastic baggie when the weather is inclement. Was a special buy and cost me $88.00 from Costco.. lifetime return policy from Costco... you CAN'T GO Wrong With COSTCO's return policy :yes: :yes:

:icon_mrgreen:

BIGLRY
08-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Quot right from TomTom's web site on specs for the TomTom Rider 400 https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/motorcycle-sat-nav/products/rider-400/

"Waterproof = (IPX7) - protects against any wet-weather conditions"

And just in case you wounder what the IPX7 spec is?

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating
Suitable:
•Splashes
•Rain or Snow
•Showering
•Incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes

Unsuitable:
•Swimming
•Diving into water
•Snorkeling or Scuba Diving
•High-speed watersports

Oh and what is that "IP" in IPX7... Ingress Protection Marking, classifies and rates the degree of protection provided against intrusion (body parts such as hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. It is published by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for more info and what all the numbers mean go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

:shhh:What the big print giveth the small print taketh away. Quot from TomTom's warranty.

"7.1 Limited warranty
TomTom offers a limited warranty that the Product (obtained either directly via TomTom or via a Reseller) will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use for a period of two (2) years from the date the Product was purchased, or from the date of purchase until such date as you breach any of these Terms and Conditions, whichever is the shorter period. During this period, the Product will be – on the sole discretion of TomTom – either repaired or replaced by TomTom without charge for either parts or labour. Additionally, TomTom will be responsible for the transport and/or shipping costs related to the repair or replacement. If the Product is repaired after this Period has expired, the period for the repair will expire six (6) months after the date of repair. This limited warranty is not transferable. Please note that your rights under applicable law governing the sale of consumer goods remain unaffected by the warranty given in this clause.

7.2 What this limited warranty does not cover
This limited warranty does not cover damage caused by normal wear and tear or as a result of the Product being opened or repaired by someone not authorized by TomTom, and does not cover damage caused by: misuse, moisture, liquids, proximity or exposure to heat and accident, abuse, non-compliance with the instructions supplied with the Product, neglect or misapplication. The limited warranty also does not cover physical damage to the surface of the Product."

lloydmoore1
08-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Quot right from TomTom's web site on specs for the TomTom Rider 400 https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/motorcycle-sat-nav/products/rider-400/

"Waterproof = (IPX7) - protects against any wet-weather conditions"

And just in case you wounder what the IPX7 spec is?

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating
Suitable:
•Splashes
•Rain or Snow
•Showering
•Incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes

Unsuitable:
•Swimming
•Diving into water
•Snorkeling or Scuba Diving
•High-speed watersports

Oh and what is that "IP" in IPX7... Ingress Protection Marking, classifies and rates the degree of protection provided against intrusion (body parts such as hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. It is published by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for more info and what all the numbers mean go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

:shhh:What the big print giveth the small print taketh away. Quot from TomTom's warranty.

"7.1 Limited warranty
TomTom offers a limited warranty that the Product (obtained either directly via TomTom or via a Reseller) will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use for a period of two (2) years from the date the Product was purchased, or from the date of purchase until such date as you breach any of these Terms and Conditions, whichever is the shorter period. During this period, the Product will be – on the sole discretion of TomTom – either repaired or replaced by TomTom without charge for either parts or labour. Additionally, TomTom will be responsible for the transport and/or shipping costs related to the repair or replacement. If the Product is repaired after this Period has expired, the period for the repair will expire six (6) months after the date of repair. This limited warranty is not transferable. Please note that your rights under applicable law governing the sale of consumer goods remain unaffected by the warranty given in this clause.

7.2 What this limited warranty does not cover
This limited warranty does not cover damage caused by normal wear and tear or as a result of the Product being opened or repaired by someone not authorized by TomTom, and does not cover damage caused by: misuse, moisture, liquids, proximity or exposure to heat and accident, abuse, non-compliance with the instructions supplied with the Product, neglect or misapplication. The limited warranty also does not cover physical damage to the surface of the Product."

yep and now I can see how they will drag this out with the last part in para 7.2 written in red..I should have went to Costco.:banghead::banghead::banghead::yikes:

taxfree4
08-03-2016, 07:42 AM
File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission www.ftc.gov and you'd be surprised how quick they respond and how efficiently they handle your problem, it makes you radioactive.

Steve 0080
08-03-2016, 08:08 AM
I know the Zumo is crazy money but you don't have issues like this or much else either....

Felloverboard
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I use a Garmin nuvi LM50. This is the third bike I have had it on. It has about 70k on it now and still works great. It gets wet some and if excessive rains are staring at me I will disconnect it. 1st on a 750 shadow that I installed a 12v on. Then a VT1300 interstate I put a 12v on. Now the F6B. All had windscreens. About $100 to $150 depending where you can get it on sale. If it breaks or is stolen I will replace with the same.

seadog
08-03-2016, 06:36 PM
I have had for many years and update it every year and have had it in pouring down rain on a full days ride and it works as good today as it did the year when I bought it. My sons run Garmins and my Sister and Brother in law both have Garmins and never a problem. I wouldn't every buy anything else. They are so worth the money.

lloydmoore1
08-04-2016, 11:35 AM
I received another email stating they will replace the unit. I had to give them a copy of my purchase invoice and home address. I'm betting I will have to ship out the old one before they send the new one.
No to the refund because I'm past 30 days but hey at least they will send me a new one. Let's hope it performs better in the rain this time.

willtill
08-04-2016, 11:47 AM
I received another email stating they will replace the unit. I had to give them a copy of my purchase invoice and home address. I'm betting I will have to ship out the old one before they send the new one.
No to the refund because I'm past 30 days but hey at least they will send me a new one. Let's hope it performs better in the rain this time.

May wanna carry a sandwich baggie with you. Usually anything man made will eventually break, wear out, or go tits up. :301:

lloydmoore1
08-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Yep sandwiche bag it is, I'll throw it in the cubby with the lighter,guntape and mag light...oh and yes a few glow sticks not to mark the ORV this time.
Ride safe

lloydmoore1
08-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Just shipped my tomtom rider 400 back to be replaced and should have the new one in 7-10 days. Here are some interesting facts and my lsn's learned.

.the warranty first 30 days you can get your money back
. 1st 6 months they will replace it and pay for shipping
.after 6 months they will replace it but you must pay for shipping...that's me:banghead:
So your basically covered up to 1 year with these few minor details.

So it cost me $32.00 to ship only because they require you to ship it by a method so it can be tracked, UPS or Fed EX. I was told not to send it via the post office because they don't deliver to them.

So after sending it I also sent a copy of my 32.00 bill asking if they would reimburse me since it was their policy that I ship it that way. The TomTom representative replied stating their warranty policy didn't allow to reimburse my money but here is a $10.00 tomtom voucher.:yikes:
So I politely declined the $10.00 voucher and said
It cost me almost 6 hundred dollars for this product and after the 2nd day of a 3 week bike trip it failed after being rained on for the first time. I had to wait until I got back home 2 weeks later to send it back and then I had to pay 32.00 to have it shipped and your response to me is here is a ten dollar voucher for more tomtom products. Thanks but no thanks I will never by anything tomtom again. I will also be sure to pass on my experience to other customers.

I'm sure my next response from them will be no different but at least I can say I tried.

Lloyd

willtill
08-10-2016, 07:24 AM
Just shipped my tomtom rider 400 back to be replaced and should have the new one in 7-10 days. Here are some interesting facts and my lsn's learned.

.the warranty first 30 days you can get your money back
. 1st 6 months they will replace it and pay for shipping
.after 6 months they will replace it but you must pay for shipping...that's me:banghead:
So your basically covered up to 1 year with these few minor details.

So it cost me $32.00 to ship only because they require you to ship it by a method so it can be tracked, UPS or Fed EX. I was told not to send it via the post office because they don't deliver to them.

So after sending it I also sent a copy of my 32.00 bill asking if they would reimburse me since it was their policy that I ship it that way. The TomTom representative replied stating their warranty policy didn't allow to reimburse my money but here is a $10.00 tomtom voucher.:yikes:
So I politely declined the $10.00 voucher and said
It cost me almost 6 hundred dollars for this product and after the 2nd day of a 3 week bike trip it failed after being rained on for the first time. I had to wait until I got back home 2 weeks later to send it back and then I had to pay 32.00 to have it shipped and your response to me is here is a ten dollar voucher for more tomtom products. Thanks but no thanks I will never by anything tomtom again. I will also be sure to pass on my experience to other customers.

I'm sure my next response from them will be no different but at least I can say I tried.

Lloyd

Try to get in touch with Tom-Tom corporate... if you feel so inclined to continue to pursue it. They may very well reverse the shipping charge after hearing from you.

Doug44
08-10-2016, 09:17 AM
I would like to give my experience with both of these companies. I find my Tom Tom units much better, brighter display, acturite, and much better at finding rural address than my Garmin unit. I speak of the automotive models only as I have not owned either of the moto only units. I use my GPS units almost everyday since retiring I work part time for my local moto dealer picking up and delivering new and service units. In addition I run them on my F6B several thousand miles each year. Every time I even think about buying the moto GPS units I can't pull the trigger because of the crazy price these units bring. My wife has even picked up 3 of these Tomtom units at the local thrift stores for as little as $2.99 that works 100% and one never out of the box . Better yet they snapped right into my Ram mount holder soooooooo I think I am set for a long time

unsub
08-10-2016, 10:15 AM
@lloymoore1

Thanks for keeping us posted on your experience. I've said here before that warranties are designed only to protect the manufacturer. They are never designed to benefit the consumer as you're finding out. Consumers [yes, even Honda customers] need to keep that in mind when they make a purchase.

My 2cents..As for TomTom, everyone has an opinion on what works, or doesn't work better. I've used both and my money is always on Garmin as the better overall unit. I've been using a first generation Zumo 660 on a keyed switch with quick release mount for the last 5 years. A bit slower since the last map upgrade, but watertight, and the replaceable battery is still good as new.

There are days when I really miss my tank bag and map pouch though. I mean that literally, I can't find the old bag. I had lots of old trips memorabilia in it including some of my old mapped out routes.:icon_frown:

lloydmoore1
08-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Well my tomtom arrived today via Fed Ex and to my surprise it was a brand new one complete in the the box with all the parts. It was a surprise considering they only asked that I ship only the GPS back with no other parts. So I now have all the extra cables,mounts etc.
Lets hope this stays working.
The other good thing is all I had to do to get back all my saved places and routes was to log back on to my drive tomtom from my new GPS..sweet.

willtill
08-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Well my tomtom arrived today via Fed Ex and to my surprise it was a brand new one complete in the the box with all the parts. It was a surprise considering they only asked that I ship only the GPS back with no other parts. So I now have all the extra cables,mounts etc.
Lets hope this stays working.
The other good thing is all I had to do to get back all my saved places and routes was to log back on to my drive tomtom from my new GPS..sweet.
...and get a plastic sandwich baggie :icon_wink:

A sandwich baggie will rock your world :yes:

http://i63.tinypic.com/dha0ko.jpg