PDA

View Full Version : Road trippin

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Flying from new York to dallas, tx. tomorrow to pick up my f6b. Had to leave it there back in late may, the weather was horrible and I needed to get back so I flew home. Should be a good time riding home.

Sorcerer
08-03-2016, 10:49 AM
How much time do you have?

53driver
08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
You gonna scortch up the super slab or dive off the byways?

kenny urban
08-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Flying from new York to dallas, tx. tomorrow to pick up my f6b. Had to leave it there back in late may, the weather was horrible and I needed to get back so I flew home. Should be a good time riding home.I live in seattle, and was in Portland Oregon last NEW Years DAY RIDE, a WIND storm rolled-in, and I had to take the train home to seattle, and took the train BACK down the following weekend, FIRST train ride.KennyU

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 11:04 AM
How much time do you have?

No hurry, first stop hot springs Arkansas.

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 11:09 AM
You gonna scortch up the super slab or dive off the byways?

Going to avoid major highways when possible. No great rush to get back this time. If it gets to hot, I'll travel early,early morning and put in befor noon.

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I live in seattle, and was in Portland Oregon last NEW Years DAY RIDE, a WIND storm rolled-in, and I had to take the train home to seattle, and took the train BACK down the following weekend, FIRST train ride.KennyU

The storms that I hit in May were crazy. The wind had me hiding along side big rigs, I couldn't see 50 feet but couldn't slow or stop for fear of being run over. One of those times you say never again! Made it to dallas a day later than expected to find out Texas was experiencing the worst floods they had in years. Much of it further south but enough where I was to make life interesting.

STRaider
08-03-2016, 01:15 PM
No hurry, first stop hot springs Arkansas.

If you're going to Hot Springs anyway, go via the Talimena Scenic byway. It starts in Talahina, Oklahoma and runs 54 miles across a mountain range (as good as we have in these parts) ending in Mena, Arkansas. Hot Springs is a very nice 70 mile drive from there. This will be much, much more pleasant than running up 30. Half the ride to Talihena is not that great, but still better than Interstate. This is my favorite overnight ride to make from the Dallas area. I like to go up 75 north, just past Atoka, Oklahoma, then take 43 to and around Sardis Lake, and then hwy 2 into Talahina. From 43 on is a good ride.

Safe Travels.

Shiv
08-03-2016, 01:42 PM
If you're going to Hot Springs anyway, go via the Talimena Scenic byway. It starts in Talihina, Oklahoma and runs 54 miles across a mountain range (as good as we have in these parts) ending in Mena, Arkansas. Hot Springs is a very nice 70 mile drive from there. This will be much, much more pleasant than running up 30. Half the ride to Talihena is not that great, but still better than Interstate. This is my favorite overnight ride to make from the Dallas area. I like to go up 75 north, just past Atoka, Oklahoma, then take 43 to and around Sardis Lake, and then hwy 2 into Talihina. From 43 on is a good ride.

Safe Travels.

We do that pretty often too. Better than 75, take 121 just north of McKinney, get on 82 at Bonham, 271 at Paris, and have lunch at 'Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner' in Talihina. Then ride the good ride to Mena.

Shiv

STRaider
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I do go that way as well sometimes. I have a friend in Tyler and we meet in Paris if we do a quick riad trip to Mena/Hotsprings. If I go alone, I generally go up 75. I like that 43 and coming in by Sardis Lake. I get that a ha moment when I know I've made it out of the rat race.

willtill
08-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Flying from new York to dallas, tx. tomorrow to pick up my f6b. Had to leave it there back in late may, the weather was horrible and I needed to get back so I flew home. Should be a good time riding home.

If this is a brand new F6B... MAKE SURE that you have the rear differential checked for proper fluid level before you ride that thing all the way back to New York. Many of our late year F6B's were low up to 3 ounces of gear oil.

If it's a dealer, crawl under the right rear exhaust and watch and validate the differential fluid level with him. Do not take their word... that they checked it. :nono:

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
If this is a brand new F6B... MAKE SURE that you have the rear differential checked for proper fluid level before you ride that thing all the way back to New York. Many of our late year F6B's were low up to 3 ounces of gear oil.

If it's a dealer, crawl under the right rear exhaust and watch and validate the differential fluid level with him. Do not take their word... that they checked it. :nono:

I've seen this come up on this forum before. I bought the bike new in April of this year. I had to fly home on a recent ride down there. My son just took it to a local dealer for the 4000 mile service knowing I was going to ride it home. I will check that gear oil level befor I head north. Thanks for the heads up.

f6bdan
08-03-2016, 06:43 PM
If you're going to Hot Springs anyway, go via the Talimena Scenic byway. It starts in Talahina, Oklahoma and runs 54 miles across a mountain range (as good as we have in these parts) ending in Mena, Arkansas. Hot Springs is a very nice 70 mile drive from there. This will be much, much more pleasant than running up 30. Half the ride to Talihena is not that great, but still better than Interstate. This is my favorite overnight ride to make from the Dallas area. I like to go up 75 north, just past Atoka, Oklahoma, then take 43 to and around Sardis Lake, and then hwy 2 into Talahina. From 43 on is a good ride.

Safe Travels.

This is the route my daughter told me to take, I'll be leaving from frisco, tx. The destination is close to hot springs it lake Ouachita. I'll get there on fri. Fishing on Sat. On the road again sun. My brother,cousin and nephew are planing to meet me in Nashville and ride back to new York together. They all ride Harleys, hope I can keep up. However it works out it will be fun. Thanks for the info on the route.

jm21ddd15
08-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Going to avoid major highways when possible. No great rush to get back this time. If it gets to hot, I'll travel early,early morning and put in befor noon.

"If it gets hot". Sorry, had to laugh. You will be lucky to have it under 80 at 6am. Good luck. Find some shady routes!