PDA

View Full Version : Klim riding gear

stevenolts
08-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Has anyone ever worn Klim riding gear? (Very expensive $$$$$ / close to or best available???)

Klim riding gear is supposed to be some of the best there is. I have been looking seriously at getting a riding suit that is made out of Goretex. I am tired of the putting the rain gear on and then taking the rain gear off. I must have put it on / taken it off 20 times on my last trip to Florida.

Klim makes their Goretex gear as an outer shell of 840 cordura (very tough) with bonded to Goretex inside. (Guaranteed to keep you dry) It has vents for summer but is not lined so you wear layers as needed for cold weather. To me this sounds like the way to go.

I have several Dainese pants and jackets which are very nice but unless you are made like a little Italian girl they do not fit the average American guy very well. I have a Scorpion leather jacket and a Scorpion mesh jacket. Both of these come with rain / wind and winter liners but these have to be added and removed on the road. I used to think this was the way to go but the rain liners do not breath like Goretex and by the time you pull over to put them in you are all wet and riding with a plastic liner is way too hot.

I need something like the Klim set up. Does anyone have any advice?
Steve

xgringo
08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
I have two pairs of Klim Latitude Misano Pants one in black and one in the very light grey.

1. They are absolutely waterproof. Each pair has kept me dry in all day rain storms.

2. The ventilation zips work ok on the full faired f6b. If you throw your legs up on some highway pegs and let the wind blow up your legs and out the vents they work well.

3. They are breathable but if you read the fine print Gortex allows vapor to pass through but not water or liquid sweat. Last June I had the pleasure of riding south through Arizona through Tuscon and down to Mazatlan. The daily highs were between 115 and 105.
I was soaking in a puddle of sweat and by the time I got to Mazatlan I stank to high heaven and had diaper rash. Of course this was an extreme test.

4. I find them comfortable and with the Kiim bubble butt I never get monkey butt even in the conditions I mentioned above.

5. I wear the grey in hot weather and the black when not hot. I've never been able to get the road grime off the light grey pair.

6. I'm absolutely satisfied with them. I did not get a Klim jacket because the jackets don't fit my stringbean build. I went down to the Revzilla boutique to buy them so I tried everything on.

7.A note about the Revzilla boutique, they have some really cute chicks working there. Heck, I would go again just to check out the chicks. Oh, and the old bald headed guy selling the helmets was annoying.

Enjoy!!
Tom

wjduke
08-05-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm not going to offer much advice, only to say that I wear my Klim mesh jacket every single ride and it's great. I haven't used the liner yet, so there's the "no help" moment. I do have a full set of rain gear that I plan to use if I have to. I don't have Klim lowers. I have to think that the Klim liner would be hot like any other. It seems to be a piece of plastic to me....

stevenolts
08-05-2016, 08:32 AM
xgringo,

Did you try on the Overland? I am leaning towards the Overland.
It is supposed to be based on the Traverse.

Last night I tried on the Lattitude and the Badlands Pro. They both seemed real heavy duty and heavy.
It is a shame I could not find one that fit / the guy had the Lattitude marked 400.00 and said he would work with me on the price.

Lattitude they only had grey in XL
sleeves real long but could work / neck scratchy and I have read complaints about it

Badlands Pro (discontinued now) they only had Large in Black
Nice jacket but the large did not fit me

Lattitude pants 36 my size seemed small
seemed too small and heavy

I think the Lattitude Milano (discontunued now) you have is supposed to be lighter than the regular Lattitude.

There is a new Traverse that came out Monday that is made out of the Milono cordurba.
Steve

xgringo
08-05-2016, 02:42 PM
xgringo,

Did you try on the Overland? I am leaning towards the Overland.
It is supposed to be based on the Traverse.

Last night I tried on the Lattitude and the Badlands Pro. They both seemed real heavy duty and heavy.
It is a shame I could not find one that fit / the guy had the Lattitude marked 400.00 and said he would work with me on the price.

Lattitude they only had grey in XL
sleeves real long but could work / neck scratchy and I have read complaints about it

Badlands Pro (discontinued now) they only had Large in Black
Nice jacket but the large did not fit me

Lattitude pants 36 my size seemed small
seemed too small and heavy

I think the Lattitude Milano (discontunued now) you have is supposed to be lighter than the regular Lattitude.

There is a new Traverse that came out Monday that is made out of the Milono cordurba.
Steve

Hi Steve!!
I went to Revzilla with only the Latitude Misano jacket and pants in mind so I did not try any of the other Klim clothing.
And yes even the Misanos are quite substantial to were I bought the Kiim suspenders. Otherwise it's a fair amount of weight hanging on your hips.

Also, I only bought the black ones at the boutique and didn't buy the grey ones until I thoroughly tested the first pair on another trip. I bought the grey pair on Amazon on close out. I just did a search and there are still some close outs on Amazon of the badlands and the misanos if you feel confident on the size you want.

I think they are a total win except for the extreme heat sort of thing and most people have enough sense to avoid that.

Enjoy!!
Tom

taxfree4
08-05-2016, 05:11 PM
If you're looking for a suit Aerostitch makes 3 different types, very good quality.

Broken Hand
08-06-2016, 12:32 AM
I own the black Overland jacket. I bounce around between 250-270 lbs and the XL fits me well. If I dropped to 230lbs, a Large size would likely fit better. It does well up to 90 degrees, but does get hot. Opening all the vents helps. I bought a set of LD comfort shorts and long sleeve shirt, but honestly it didn't help that much in the hot weather. The Overland wrist openings are tight, so even with the Velcro straps loose, I never could get enough breeze blowing up the arms to give me the convection effect. I stopped at a bar and grill to cool off and get a bite. I was seated near a ceiling fan, and was literally freezing my ass off 10 mins later. The LD comfort works well if you can get the breeze blowing up your sleeves. The F6B mirrors do an excellent job blocking that aforementioned breeze.

Despite all that, I really love this jacket, but would hesitate to wear it in 85+ weather.

I tried several Overland pants, but like you Steve, they fit tight. I just couldn't find a size that fit well.

Wayne

ADV67
08-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I use the Klim Rally jacket and pants when riding my adventure bike and when travelling. And I wear the Klim Dakar pants too, you can vent them by opening the zippers when temperatures go up. I use their gloves too. Expensive but absolutely great quality gear.

xgringo
08-07-2016, 06:04 PM
I The F6B mirrors do an excellent job blocking that aforementioned breeze..

Baker hand wings will help dramatically with that.
Enjoy!!
Tom

Steve 0080
08-07-2016, 09:27 PM
If you're looking for a suit Aerostitch makes 3 different types, very good quality.

I have been interested in Aerostitch for a long time. I'm just nervous about paying that much and no trying them on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPBtrixYYo

Broken Hand
08-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Baker hand wings will help dramatically with that.
Enjoy!!
Tom

Damn you Tom. Your reply cost me money!
Can't wait to try them out.
Wayne

taxfree4
08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
I have been interested in Aerostitch for a long time. I'm just nervous about paying that much and no trying them on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPBtrixYYo

Steve,
Aerostitch has a "sizing tool" like RDL, you give them your height, inseam, weight, waist and chest size and they send you back the optimal size for you. If it doesn't fit snd it back for a full refund.

Steve 0080
08-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks...I have been kicking the ideal around for years...the 100* days is what stops me !!!

Seldom if ever see the suits in FLA !