PDA

View Full Version : Madstad base mounting issues/question

willtill
08-05-2016, 02:19 PM
So I just recieved my 13" medium dark Madstad windshield. Was struggling to get the bas portion of the windshield mounted; I initially though the two outer holes were not drilled precisely in alignment with the windshield mounting holes on the front fairing. I did eventually get the Madstad base mounted by carefully aligning the screw collars in the holes of the windshield base; and working all three screws down simultaneously.

However I see now that I have quite a gap on the outside areas of the Madstad windshield base:

http://i67.tinypic.com/10woewk.jpg

(Note - the weatherstripping on the bike is being reflected on the black Madstad base; so it appears as two pieces of weatherstripping; rather than one).

Is this normal for those whom have installed the Madstad windshield base previously. If so, did you just add some additional weatherstripping? Or are the holes in the base of my Madstad actually off a bit; and contributing to this gap that is on both outer edges of the base?

rdeady
08-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Just ordered and 11" today. I hope i'm not going to run into that ! Probably easy to redrill but then you would not be able to take advantage of the return or trade policy they have.

willtill
08-05-2016, 03:43 PM
I just fired off an email to them with the picture of the gap. I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue, there are several members here whom installed the same.

Gawd this thing is U.G.L.Y. But I decided to try it out and see if it makes a difference.... I've now bought THREE windshields for this bike :icon_doh:

http://i64.tinypic.com/kevkhw.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/fe30o2.jpg

Heavvyduty
08-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I have the 13in .. And I do not have this gap.
But I will tell you this shield is awesome.

MotoMike
08-05-2016, 05:48 PM
FUGLY...Can't wait to order mine.

JGF6B
08-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Will,
I have a gap between the lower shield and the dashboard only where the dash is uneven (where your weatherstripping is on your dash). Below that is sealed tight. I shined light from inside and outside, no light was visible through the shield.
Yours isn't fitting correctly.

It is ugly but it either grows on you or you get used to it. Functionally it is awesome.

Hornblower
08-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Will,
I have a gap between the lower shield and the dashboard only where the dash is uneven (where your weatherstripping is on your dash). Below that is sealed tight. I shined light from inside and outside, no light was visible through the shield.

It is ugly but it either grows on you or you get used to it. Functionally it is awesome.

+1
Either you go for looks or functionality. Rarely do you get both. It's no more complicated than that. At this point, I think there is very little argument that the Madstad is the best windscreen available from the perspective of functionality. Most of us that have Madstads agree that it's not the prettiest windscreen out there. Frankly, I don't care much about that. It's a great windscreen for how it functions and that's all I really care about.

willtill
08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
+1
Either you go for looks or functionality. Rarely do you get both. It's no more complicated than that. At this point, I think there is very little argument that the Madstad is the best windscreen available from the perspective of functionality. Most of us that have Madstads agree that it's not the prettiest windscreen out there. Frankly, I don't care much about that. It's a great windscreen for how it functions and that's all I really care about.

Do you have a gap in the outer areas where the lower base meets the dash?

willtill
08-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Will,

Thank you. I am waiting on Madstad's response to my email; basically what I wrote here in this thread.

This is certainly not a "I'm ripping this gardarned shield off and tossing it into the bushes" moment... but I like symmetry... a smooth finish.

Wing'n it
08-05-2016, 07:36 PM
I posted this very question a long time ago and your getting the same answers I got. I will tell you that it does lay better after some time as mine has almost flattened out completely, but from the start it fits like sh**.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7379-Question-for-Madstad-owners

willtill
08-05-2016, 09:25 PM
I posted this very question a long time ago and your getting the same answers I got. I will tell you that it does lay better after some time as mine has almost flattened out completely, but from the start it fits like sh**.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7379-Question-for-Madstad-owners

Good response! Good post! And good link!

Thanks Wing'n it !!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

53driver
08-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Mine fit like a glove. No gaps, easy mounting and fitment.
The 11" looks more like a tactical shield than a windscreen.

willtill
08-05-2016, 10:00 PM
I took a very short spin tonight. Definitely a difference (less buffeting). Was no faster than 45mph though.... I look forward to playing with this thing.

May have two windshields for a steal in the classifieds here.... we will see. :popcorn:

F6BPDX
08-05-2016, 10:23 PM
I took a very short spin tonight. Definitely a difference (less buffeting). Was no faster than 45mph though.... I look forward to playing with this thing.

May have two windshields for a steal in the classifieds here.... we will see. :popcorn:

Keep a journal as you make adjustments or you will at some point wind up chasing your tail. Just stuff like 61°, 1" up. So that when you are tinkering and decide the 5th thing you tried was the best you can get it back. Because trust me with this shield a couple of degrees make a big difference.

willtill
08-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Keep a journal as you make adjustments or you will at some point wind up chasing your tail. Just stuff like 61°, 1" up. So that when you are tinkering and decide the 5th thing you tried was the best you can get it back. Because trust me with this shield a couple of degrees make a big difference.

Will do.

Hornblower
08-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Do you have a gap in the outer areas where the lower base meets the dash?

Yep, similar to yours.

willtill
08-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Yep, similar to yours.

Yes, I saw that from the link that Wing'n it provided earlier in this thread.

I am going to go to Home Despot and procure some thicker weatherstripping, and R&R the current weatherstripping that I applied previously from the Clearview windshield installation... I still need to reroute my power cord for my GPS anyway up under the Madstad windshield base. Look forward to having my GPS mounted directly in from of me now between the dash and the lower Madstad base :yes:

lloydmoore1
08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Mine is the same. Be careful not to over tighten the base or it will crack Just add some lock tite

wjduke
08-06-2016, 09:46 AM
I would have a problem with that fit...glad I don't have that shield and that problem. I'm just too OCD to let that go.

Steve 0080
08-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Some things not right... double check the placement of the cowling where the bolts are inside the mirror housing...weather stripping can help and the shield should have come with some...

VStarRider
08-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Just another person here reporting that the Madstad fit well with no gaps, and works great. I actually kind of like the looks of it...it appears to be high-tech. I also like the look of windmills and solar panels because I respect functionality, systems, and innovation so I guess I am little weird that way.

Whatever 2nd bike I end up with down the road, if Madstad doesn't make a windshield for it, I may have to reconsider the bike! :yikes:
I like it that much! Buffeting on all other bikes drove me crazy.

lloydmoore1
08-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Mine is the same. Be careful not to over tighten the base or it will crack Just add some lock tite

OK so now I'm starting to wonder if I was sent the wrong one? They did send me the wrong shield originally, the holes did not line up and they resent the right one. Maybe mine should fit tight with no gaps? I may send them an email with some pictures to confirm.

willtill
08-07-2016, 06:31 AM
OK so now I'm starting to wonder if I was sent the wrong one? They did send me the wrong shield originally, the holes did not line up and they resent the right one. Maybe mine should fit tight with no gaps? I may send them an email with some pictures to confirm.

Quite a few folks that have chimed in on Wing'n it's other posted thread (within this thread) have had the same issue.

I have sent an email with pictures to Madstad Support, but no response as of yet.

Does anyone know if a regular Gold Wing's windshield mount holes vary slightly in measurement; or are they as exact as the F6B's?

If so, maybe the Jig and/or Rig that Madstad uses to drill these holes; is not constant?

Wing'n it
08-07-2016, 07:56 AM
I put a regular Goldwing shield on my F6 and the holes are the same just the F6 don't use slotted holes. I ended up cutting down the Wing shield to a more desirable height and redrilled it. I discover that Madstad as well and almost all other windshield makers don't "form fit" the bottom like the Honda shield. This will cause the gaps but the Madstad appears worse because of the thickness of the base material and the curvature they put into it. Even Clearview sends weather stripping to close the gaps on their shields. Adding the weather strip is something Madstad should consider but it can be easily obtained at any hardware store. Mine still had small gaps at the edges but these have closed up as I think the plastic relaxes and lays out with time. I will tell you it is the best "functioning" windshield I have tried on the F6 and I have tried about 6 or 7 different ones.

Here is a pic of my GPS mount and you can see the gaps are almost completely gone, cutting the weather stripping to match the contour helped make it look factory.

Switchmonkey
09-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Mine has the gaps on both sides and is warped. Waiting for a response for a replacement base unit.

willtill
09-11-2016, 03:56 PM
For the record, I never got a response via email from Madstad concerning the fitment issue. Maybe they're Luddites. :icon_lol:

I'm sure if I called them though... I would've had an answer.

Regardless, just use thick weatherstripping where the lower Madstad base meets the mounting surface of the bike, and start bolting down the lower base evenly. Don't over tighten the bolts either.

It works for me. happy with it. :yes:

Wing'n it
09-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Mine has the gaps on both sides and is warped. Waiting for a response for a replacement base unit.

The gaps for the black base shield are just the way it is because of them making it from flat sheet material. Adding weather stripping from your local hardware store will fill the gaps and it will look like it came that way. Now if your talking about the front shield being warped I can see it in the pictures and would not be happy with that at all unless it's an illusion from the lighting and the picture angle. The front section looks mis-shaped in the pictures, call them as i'm sure they will make it right as they are great people to deal with.

98valk
09-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Hi,
When I first mounted my Clearview shield, it was a bit warped as well. It is a stiff shield and wanted to stay that way.

But, I was able to loosen the mounting bolts a bit and force the shield to a symmetrical position, then tighten them and it looks great.

Might give it a try. :yes:

Switchmonkey
09-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Madstad is sending me a new base unit. Quick response from them to rectify warp problem. The gaps? We'll see if they're there with the new one...

Dak44312
09-20-2016, 09:38 PM
FWIW, I tried calling them more than a few times with some pre-sale questions, only to get voice jail every time. Then I emailed them. That's been over 2 weeks ago and I've not yet had a response. I've read lots of posts saying how great they are to work with...I'm not seeing it.

willtill
09-21-2016, 05:54 AM
FWIW, I tried calling them more than a few times with some pre-sale questions, only to get voice jail every time. Then I emailed them. That's been over 2 weeks ago and I've not yet had a response. I've read lots of posts saying how great they are to work with...I'm not seeing it.

Could be that they are on vacation. Give them a chance.

MotoMike
10-02-2016, 11:46 AM
The bowing on the base plate is possibly caused by people forcing the shield to fit with the outer holes not having been drilled far enough outbound of the center mount hole. On my shield I found I had to do a little elongation work on the two outer mounting holes. 1 minute of work with a rat tail file and the situation was dealt with. I understand this should be addressed as a QA manufacturing issue by Madstad but Im still very happy with my shield.

dkooris
11-06-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm going from a 2006 BMW R1200RT to a 2016 F6B. I can tell you that I'm going to miss my electric adjustable windscreen. The Madstad looks pretty good to me! Form follows function.

Geoff in CT

Kirby
03-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Just mounted my 13 inch Madstad today and have the gaps. It appears there is a small gap all the way around but about 1/4 inch on each end. I am hoping it will settle in over time. What was the fix from Madstad? , I may give them a call tomorrow.

willtill
03-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Just mounted my 13 inch Madstad today and have the gaps. It appears there is a small gap all the way around but about 1/4 inch on each end. I am hoping it will settle in over time. What was the fix from Madstad? , I may give them a call tomorrow.

Madstad sent me a new base... I think the holes were drilled a little larger, that's all. I still have the original base that had the gaps but used some foan weatherstripping to seal up the gaps. No issues anymore... am used to it.

Now have a spare base for R&D :-)

lloydmoore1
03-14-2017, 10:05 AM

Normal,I used black foam weather strip to fill it in..works great