PDA

View Full Version : Coolant level

HBWinger
08-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I pulled the left (black)engine cover off looking for the battery (not there) and while I was there I pulled out the coolant dipstick. It's very difficult to tell what the level is with the green coolant on the black plastic dipstick. Coolant doesn't stick to the plastic dipstick so well. Anyone have a suggestion?

shortleg0521
08-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I pulled the left (black)engine cover off looking for the battery (not there) and while I was there I pulled out the coolant dipstick. It's very difficult to tell what the level is with the green coolant on the black plastic dipstick. Coolant doesn't stick to the plastic dipstick so well. Anyone have a suggestion?

Dry dip stick and paint white, after all it is plastic and will take paint well if prepared first.

HBWinger
08-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Dry dip stick and paint white, after all it is plastic and will take paint well if prepared first.

Thank you good idea.

seadog
08-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I was told that if its touching the dipstick there is enough in the system. don't know if that is gospel or not! But that's where mine is right at the bottom of the stick and for over 12000 miles hasn't given me any trouble.

willtill
08-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.

Takes like 5 seconds.

Do it.

SimonTemplar
08-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.......

I like this one MUCH better than painting it. Eventually, that paint will come off...especially in an environment rich in antifreeze. Probably won't hurt your engine when it does come off. But, then again....why gamble?

....sT

wjduke
08-06-2016, 04:27 AM
Here's a thread jack, but what's the reservoir on the right side near the oil dip stick? It looked empty on the last oil change I did and I thought that was for anti freeze. I don't have any issues....

Travelor
08-06-2016, 05:07 AM
Here's a thread jack, but what's the reservoir on the right side near the oil dip stick? It looked empty on the last oil change I did and I thought that was for anti freeze. I don't have any issues....

The only reservoir on the right side near the dip stick is the rear brake pedal master cylinder. Obviously shouldn't be empty, but maybe the brake fluid is too full and you can't see the top of it? Or maybe it's empty...........................

wjduke
08-06-2016, 07:05 AM
The only reservoir on the right side near the dip stick is the rear brake pedal master cylinder. Obviously shouldn't be empty, but maybe the brake fluid is too full and you can't see the top of it? Or maybe it's empty...........................
Maybe I should check it!
I've always been skeptical of the dealer I bought it from. Seems fine but maybe just needs topping off.

HBWinger
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.

Takes like 5 seconds.

Do it.

Yes Sir, right away, Sir.

willtill
08-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes Sir, right away, Sir.

Don't call me Sir. I work for a living. :icon_wink:

Navvet
08-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't call me Sir. I work for a living. :icon_wink:

:lolup:My wife gets upset with me every time I say that ...:lolup:

(She's a retired Navy Chief !!!)