PDA

View Full Version : Skully Officially Admits Defeat

SimonTemplar
08-08-2016, 01:02 AM
Skully Officially Admits Defeat (Click Me) (https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/06/skully-officially-admits-its-over/)

I was hoping this one would make it to market.

Oh well.....guess I'll just park it in the garage between my Chevy Vega and my Triumph TR7.

.....sT

Dave Ritsema
08-08-2016, 06:08 AM
I can do one better for you, I was the proud(?) owner of a TR8 when they first came out. I should have known I was going to have issues when they had to push it off the car carrier.

Skully Officially Admits Defeat (Click Me) (https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/06/skully-officially-admits-its-over/)

I was hoping this one would make it to market.

Oh well.....guess I'll just park it in the garage between my Chevy Vega and my Triumph TR7.

.....sT

SimonTemplar
08-08-2016, 12:05 PM
I had a '75 TR7. The 8 was a refined version of the 7 with a bigger engine. (...and a ragtop option which didn't appear on the 7)

Steve 0080
08-08-2016, 07:07 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9260-Skully-Helmets-Tits-Up&highlight=Skully

3Chief
08-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Definitely sucks, it was on the radar...

BillyDee
08-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Called Skully two months ago, got my $1300.00 back. They kept delaying and delaying.

Just lucky I guess...

willtill
08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Called Skully two months ago, got my $1300.00 back. They kept delaying and delaying.

Just lucky I guess...

You are lucky! Did I read that they were not giving out refunds....?

unsub
08-10-2016, 01:13 PM
I had a '75 TR7. The 8 was a refined version of the 7 with a bigger engine. (...and a ragtop option which didn't appear on the 7)

ST is that a factory colour?

Mmmm, looks better in that photo than the ones I remember back in the 70's. I guess time has been kind to Triumph.:icon_lol:

SimonTemplar
08-11-2016, 01:03 AM
ST is that a factory colour?

Mmmm, looks better in that photo than the ones I remember back in the 70's. I guess time has been kind to Triumph.:icon_lol:

I've slept a few times since I had that car, so I no longer recall the actual paint code. But, the name they gave it was Delft Blue.

.....sT

SimonTemplar
08-11-2016, 01:08 AM

.....sT

53driver
08-11-2016, 07:35 AM

.....sT

Yeah I remember at the end of the commercial, it pulled into a triangle shaped garage.....

unsub
08-11-2016, 11:06 AM
I've slept a few times since I had that car, so I no longer recall the actual paint code. But, the name they gave it was Delft Blue.

.....sT

Very nice colour.:yes:

At the time I was choosing between a British Racing Green Spitfire with tan seats and a Salmon coloured Fiat 124 Spider...I actually passed on a deeply discounted NEW Karmann Ghia:banghead:

They couldn't give those VW's away back then, now they're very collectible. Does that remind anyone of anything??:icon_lol:

SoCal Rich
08-11-2016, 10:52 PM
I hate to break this to you, but the picture you have is not Simon Templar (played by Roger Moore in "The Saint") but John Drake (played by Patrick McGoohan in "Secret Agent" (or "Danger Man" in the U.K.) whose theme song was Secret Agent Man). Sorry.

SimonTemplar
08-12-2016, 12:45 AM
I hate to break this to you, but the picture you have is not Simon Templar (played by Roger Moore in "The Saint") but John Drake (played by Patrick McGoohan in "Secret Agent" (or "Danger Man" in the U.K.) whose theme song was Secret Agent Man). Sorry.

Hate to break it to you...that's been bandied about several times in the past several months.

The error in the picture was deliberate.

Sorry

....sT

SimonTemplar
08-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Yeah I remember at the end of the commercial, it pulled into a triangle shaped garage.....

Yep...used to have that commercial on a hard drive somewhere. Can't seem to find it now, however.

Owning a 7 gave an entirely new meaning to the word 'Wedgie'.

I do miss the 7. Times got hard for awhile back in the '80's and it became necessary to trade it for something more reliable. Wish I hadn't had to do that. Still have the shop manual on the shelf and a nearly brand new bra for one.

The TR7 was one of the first (if not THE first) model designed after the nationalization of the UK car makers (under the moniker British Leyland). As such, it was design-by-bean-counter rather than by engineer. Many TR7 parts were re-purposed parts from other Brits.

For instance....the motors on the drop-away headlights were actually windshield wiper motors from a Spitfire with a different actuator linkage and control network. There were a number of other similar such parts. Part of being a long-term owner was learning exactly what came from where, so you knew where to go when you needed to replace something.

And of course...one needed to know how to deal with the handiwork of Lucas Electrics. But that was something ANY Brit owner had to learn.

All Lucas light switches had three settings....Dim, Flicker, and Off. And things only got worse from there.

....sT

SimonTemplar
08-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Very nice colour.:yes:

At the time I was choosing between a British Racing Green Spitfire with tan seats and a Salmon coloured Fiat 124 Spider...I actually passed on a deeply discounted NEW Karmann Ghia:banghead:

They couldn't give those VW's away back then, now they're very collectible. Does that remind anyone of anything??:icon_lol:

Trouble was....the Spits fell apart and rusted out nearly as fast as mid-70's Fords and the 124's had more than their share of troubles as well (although they did fare better than the X1/9 did, I'll admit). If you can find a Spitfire still in good condition today, take a picture. You'll likely never see another one.

I wish I'd picked up a Kharman Ghia too. Of the three...they were probably the smartest choice, unless you were buying specifically to have an ongoing garage project. (and some people did.)

....sT

SoCal Rich
08-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Hate to break it to you...that's been bandied about several times in the past several months.

The error in the picture was deliberate.

Sorry

....sT

Good touche!

unsub
08-15-2016, 05:02 PM
And of course...one needed to know how to deal with the handiwork of Lucas Electrics. But that was something ANY Brit owner had to learn.

All Lucas light switches had three settings....Dim, Flicker, and Off. And things only got worse from there.

....sT

We used to refer to Lucas as the "Prince of Darkness"

:icon_lol:

willtill
08-15-2016, 05:14 PM

:icon_lol:

Not so much an issue with the recent past ownership of my Triumph Rocket III, although the Brits had warned me about not letting out the smoke within the wiring looms. :icon_wink:

SimonTemplar
08-15-2016, 11:20 PM

Yes, well.....some of us still do......

.....sT