PDA

View Full Version : GPS/Iphone Apps

Hodgey1
08-08-2016, 06:27 AM
Anyone having any success using their Iphone as a trip planner and turn by turn navigation aid? I have the sena 10 Bluetooth and I'm debating weather or not I could get by using my Iphone for direction instead of spending $500 on a Garmin? I'm particularly interested in the apps you are using, if you are having success.

I down loaded "inRoute" iphone app which looks pretty user friendly but it comes with a pricey subscription which I don't mind paying if it works well?

Elroy
08-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Anyone having any success using their Iphone as a trip planner and turn by turn navigation aid? I have the sena 10 Bluetooth and I'm debating weather or not I could get by using my Iphone for direction instead of spending $500 on a Garmin? I'm particularly interested in the apps you are using, if you are having success.

I down loaded "inRoute" iphone app which looks pretty user friendly but it comes with a pricey subscription which I don't mind paying if it works well?

I just use the Apple "Maps" app for when I need navigation. I plug my phone into the USB in the left bag and go. Don't have a headset and don't have the screen in front of me so I just need to listen closely when she speaks. The app works fine, gets me where I need to go. On my last trip out west, when our group separated and I was leading one of the groups, we routinely reached the destination ahead of the other group by a significant margin. And they were being guided by the full Wing's built-in navi system.

After re-reading your post though, "trip planner" stuck out this time. Perhaps you're looking for putting in specific routes and turns and not just getting from Point A to B like my response was. In that case I haven't really explored that kind of utility on any app. Apologies if I missed the mark.

Davidk
08-08-2016, 10:56 AM
I use Apple Maps. Google Maps has the advantage of being able to move the map while navigating. The next version of Apple Maps will have that.

The only two reasons that I can think of to use a separate GPS is the GPS is waterproof (You can use a waterproof case on the phone), or if you travel in areas with bad cell coverage which happens to me. Phones need cell service to get the navigation set up. Once its running it won't need cell unless you want to make a change.

Another good iPhone app is "Where am I at" It does not do turn by turn nav, but it shows your position on the map and allows you to move around to see the various roads

Broken Hand
08-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Supposedly, the ios Google maps app will soon allow multiple stop planning. To me this is the one feature that so many apps fail at vs dedicated GPS.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12329540/google-maps-ios-update-multiple-destinations

Davidk
08-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Supposedly, the ios Google maps app will soon allow multiple stop planning. To me this is the one feature that so many apps fail at vs dedicated GPS.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12329540/google-maps-ios-update-multiple-destinations

Agreed, that would be helpful

Davidk
08-08-2016, 12:04 PM

I Just read that link. That feature is active now. I just checked in on my iPhone and its there. I had no idea. Thanks for letting us know

2kewlgypsy
08-08-2016, 01:21 PM
I use Co-Pilot - and like it - has the ability to input multiple stops - and doesn't use wifi - uses GPS so doesn't effect your data usage.

Davidk
08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I use Co-Pilot - and like it - has the ability to input multiple stops - and doesn't use wifi - uses GPS so doesn't effect your data usage.

Is that a smart phone app or a separate product?

Steve 0080
08-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I can say that Garmin is faster. Once leaving the rally in Franklin I told my Garmin go home and the IPhone go home...The Garmin was one hour shorter...chose the Garmin route.

Can't say why but this was the case. I now have a full grown GL and have yet to test the distances between the two units. It comes down to which "maps" you are using and the latest date installed.

3Chief
08-08-2016, 10:59 PM
The main advantage to using a stand alone GPS unit is that they are not dependent on cell service to work. Anything based on your cell device needs service to work and you're far more likely to lose cellular service than have the GPS lose the satellite.

Broken Hand
08-10-2016, 08:45 AM
The main advantage to using a stand alone GPS unit is that they are not dependent on cell service to work. Anything based on your cell device needs service to work and you're far more likely to lose cellular service than have the GPS lose the satellite.

Here WeGo app, Nokia's GPS mapping division, allows you to download maps for offline use. I have the West coast downloaded, it takes up a little over a gig of memory space. The entire U.S. is around 4.5 gigs.

Hodgey1
08-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Here WeGo app, Nokia's GPS mapping division, allows you to download maps for offline use. I have the West coast downloaded, it takes up a little over a gig of memory space. The entire U.S. is around 4.5 gigs.

I think having the mapping downloaded and not relying on the data/cell signal is key. I see a few like Co-Pilot that you download the maps, do any of them allow you to avoid unpaved roads? That is huge for me, where I live there are still plenty of dirt roads and I refuse to take my F6B down them:icon_frown:

Slammd
08-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Another option is the Navigon app. It's about $50 and I've been using it for a while and seems to function well. Performs audible turn-by-turn and will allow up to 25 waypoints (stops) for a particular route. Not sure what, if any, limitation the new google app has for this but would am interested in checking it out. Oh, Navigon is also owned by Garmin.

Hodgey1
08-14-2016, 11:15 AM
I just downloaded a program from Garmin called Basecamp. It allows you to plan routes by clicking your mouse and customizing the route. You then export it ".GPX file" I have also loaded an app on my iPhone called "Scenic" You then load the .GPX file on the app which once the route is started will give me turn by turn directions on my custom route.

I will be testing it out here as soon as we have a rain free day and I will report back how it worked. The only down side I see with the Basecamp is having to do it on a computer ahead of time. If I choose not to do a predefined route using Basecamp, the Scenic app will work as a basic navigation system to do my routing with options like avoid highways. It use downloaded base maps, so it's not cell signal dependant.

unsub
08-14-2016, 12:04 PM

BTW Navigon just updated their app and gave the UI a refresh. I find Navigon is hard on the phone battery.

Google maps does a pretty good job of giving you the lay of the land and it's free.

Personally I find the phone a better tool for pedestrian navigation, or for giving someone directions.

Ah, but back to a trip planner: When you do land on a GPS you like give Honda's trip planner a try. You need to register to use all the features, but you're not under any obligations.

http://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

Hodgey1
08-15-2016, 06:36 AM
BTW Navigon just updated their app and gave the UI a refresh. I find Navigon is hard on the phone battery.

Google maps does a pretty good job of giving you the lay of the land and it's free.

Personally I find the phone a better tool for pedestrian navigation, or for giving someone directions.

Ah, but back to a trip planner: When you do land on a GPS you like give Honda's trip planner a try. You need to register to use all the features, but you're not under any obligations.

http://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

The problem with the Honda route planner and others like it is, most don't have the ability to avoid unpaved roads. Where I live dirt roads are everywhere and a lot with very loose gravel :shock:. The Garmin Basecamp software shows all unpaved roads as a dashed line making it easy to avoid the dirt road issue. I have planned a few routes to test the combination of basecamp/Scenic App/IPhone navigation and will be testing soon.

2kewlgypsy
08-15-2016, 11:31 AM
David - it is a iPhone app, but doesn't use wifi - It uses GPS, so it doesn't mess with the data. Its a free download, and you have to have storage for the maps, but I did pay for a traffic upgrade that does use some wifi (though used it for quite a while without that)

Hornblower
08-15-2016, 03:41 PM
David - it is a iPhone app, but doesn't use wifi - It uses GPS, so it doesn't mess with the data. Its a free download, and you have to have storage for the maps, but I did pay for a traffic upgrade that does use some wifi (though used it for quite a while without that)

CoPilot GPS is also a free app for Android. Looks pretty good to me :yes:

Hodgey1
08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
I just downloaded a program from Garmin called Basecamp. It allows you to plan routes by clicking your mouse and customizing the route. You then export it ".GPX file" I have also loaded an app on my iPhone called "Scenic" You then load the .GPX file on the app which once the route is started will give me turn by turn directions on my custom route.

I will be testing it out here as soon as we have a rain free day and I will report back how it worked. The only down side I see with the Basecamp is having to do it on a computer ahead of time. If I choose not to do a predefined route using Basecamp, the Scenic app will work as a basic navigation system to do my routing with options like avoid highways. It use downloaded base maps, so it's not cell signal dependant.

I have to update everyone on my previous post about Garmins program "Basecamp". As I really like it so far for custom routes, I'm a little disappointed after just realizing that you must currently have a Garmin "which I do for my car" or purchase the maps to do the routing:shock: when I did my test routes using the basecamp, I was using a computer which I had updated the maps for my Garmin Nuvi and apparently it was using those as the base maps? Today I tried doing a custom route on a different computer and it told me I needed to download maps$$$.

I just wanted to update people in case they wanted to try Basecamp for themselves which so far I still highly recommend other than the necessity to pay for maps unless you already have a Garmin

Hodgey1
08-24-2016, 07:29 PM
I spent a lot of time preplanning this cool test route on country roads I'd never been on, using the Basecamp Gamin software. I Loaded the .gpx file on my iphone using he scenic app. Tonight I'm ready to test it out and Everytime I launch the app it crashes....:banghead: thank fully I had monkeyed with the route so much, that I had memorized most of it and didn't disappoint the group I was leading. I will have to delete the app and reload it, and try again. Anyone else creating custom routes?

motozeke
08-26-2016, 02:41 PM
I spent a lot of time preplanning this cool test route on country roads I'd never been on, using the Basecamp Gamin software. I Loaded the .gpx file on my iphone using he scenic app. Tonight I'm ready to test it out and Everytime I launch the app it crashes....:banghead: thank fully I had monkeyed with the route so much, that I had memorized most of it and didn't disappoint the group I was leading. I will have to delete the app and reload it, and try again. Anyone else creating custom routes?

I've used Rever and RidewithGPS, and found both to be disappointing on an iPhone primarily because of the software crashing and because the offline mode was spotty at best.

Now that Google Maps has a multipoint routing feature, that's probably going to be my go to app. I'm using it now for point-point directions, the offline mode works great and it hasn't had a stability problem.

Hodgey1
08-26-2016, 09:03 PM
I've used Rever and RidewithGPS, and found both to be disappointing on an iPhone primarily because of the software crashing and because the offline mode was spotty at best.

Now that Google Maps has a multipoint routing feature, that's probably going to be my go to app. I'm using it now for point-point directions, the offline mode works great and it hasn't had a stability problem.

I did not know that google had improved their mapping system, I will have to check it out.

Hodgey1
09-15-2016, 02:07 PM
I am just getting back from a 1,100 mile, 6 day trip, touring Pennsylvania on my F6B. Our goal on this trip was to avoid driving on any Interstates "or a Dirt roads" and to primarily use secondary paved roads. We were able to achieve that goal, very well using the Garmin Base Camp software as the route planner and my iPhone as the navigator using the app named "Scenic". My phone stayed in the left cubby with the AUX jack plugged into it. The Scenic app worked very well and I also used it a couple of times to do the Routing and navigating when we wanted to make side trips that weren't pre-planned.

The Good 1: We had an amazing trip and saw some of the most beautiful parts of PA because of the pre-planned routes and not ever having to be on an interstate. 2: Did not have or use a expensive, stand alone GPS. 3: Scenic app allows you to download the maps, so you don't have to use data while navigating.

The Bad 1:The battery life of the phone was an issue that I addressed with a battery stick/charger. 2: On one leg of our trip, there was a bridge closed. The rerouting "or lack of" done by the Scenic app was not good, it kept bringing us in a circle back to the closed bridge...... 3: Occasionally it would tell us to turn right when the screen showed left?

Summary: Even with the couple of glitches, this worked famously, for doing what we intended it to do. The trip was amazing because of the routing. As a side note, the only reason I used the base camp to do the routing and not the Scenic app was because the app does not show the dirt roads or have the ability to avoid them. If they would improve this app to be able to avoid dirt roads, I would pay handsomely for it. The routing i did do using the Scenic app was amazingly easy to do when compared to the Garmin Base Camp software, which is bordering on awful to use.

I had the Scenic app loaded on both my iPhone and iPad. Once logged in on either device, my routes would show on either device. What was great about that was, I could sit with my iPad and create the route on the bigger screen, then save it and it was then available for navigation on my phone. Once they get Scenic to avoid dirt roads, I would give it a A+ even with the couple of glitches.

pdxstriper
09-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Hi
I'm very happy with Co-Pilot. I downloaded maps for US and Canada and so no need for an Internet link while traveling. In other words, it works just like a GPS. Maps are great and the audible directions are clear and Bluetoothed to my helmet. I have dedicated power to my iPhone so it stays charged. Works great
Pete

Switchmonkey
09-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Google Maps here. Route plan with MyMaps and send to phone.

Hodgey1
09-16-2016, 06:11 AM
Google Maps here. Route plan with MyMaps and send to phone.
The problem I have with google maps is no ability to avoid unpaved roads, which are common where I live. Base camp shows unpaved roads as dashed lines.