PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Sturgis

choptop
08-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Got back from Sturgis Yesterday. Met up w/a riding club, from the Twin Cities, the "Lost 202", that I have been a member of since '02, that I have ridden many miles with, trips and day rides and enjoyed many a party, in the club house and on the road. Last Thursday morning appx 2 hours into our first Sturgis ride, coming out of Spearfish Canyon up the long hill, something distracted our ride leader, the founding member and President of our club since the be beginning and proud to have called my friend, causing him to loose control in the corner, crashed and died along side the road. This was an experienced rider, many years and many, many miles on 2 wheels and now he is gone. It happens that fast folks. What we love and enjoy doing comes w/ possible tragic consequences in a moment if we don't give it 100% of our attention 100% of the time. On the way back, I had one of those moments, thinking to much lost my concentration and probably came the closest to dying that I have ever encountered, but I guess it wasn't my time. Be careful out their. RIP E.J.

Patch
08-08-2016, 11:07 AM
So sorry to see this Choptop. Prayers out for family and friends.

Broken Hand
08-08-2016, 11:29 AM
I can't imagine what you and your friend's family are going through. To have to make that ride home. I hope you surround yourself with loved ones and get through this tragedy as best you can. Peace brother.

wayne

53driver
08-08-2016, 11:53 AM
My sincerest condolences.
Losing a friend too soon is heartbreaking.
Remember him as he would have wanted you to - free and in the wind.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Unfortunate, I can appreciate 100 % what his family and loved ones experienced and are going through.

We do what we can for the family and celebrate the loss as as they would want us too.

My condolences.

Jim

Sorcerer
08-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Sorry for your loss ChopTop. That is a long ride home with a heavy heart. Stay safe.

wjduke
08-08-2016, 02:43 PM
The M109 forum lost a member too...tough week. I feel this way, they still would want us to ride...

shooter
08-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Sorry for your loss Chop. Its always tough to hear those things. Prayers for the family.

willtill
08-08-2016, 03:29 PM
All of us partake in this riding activity which can be dangerous and deadly. How does that saying go? There but for the grace of God go I... or you... or someone you know... :icon_frown:

I am sorry for the loss of your friend Choptop. I hope that your fond memories of him will help placate your grief and sorrow.

stroguy
08-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Brutally sad, sorry to hear. Condolences.

fast eddie
08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Condolences, rip

Pap
08-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Sorry to read this. Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

ReserveBum
08-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Like others have said....Must have been a tough trip home. Sorry for your loss and you have my condolences. Its always in the back of your mind when you ride how fast things can go south but you ride on.....
Jim

Steve 0080
08-08-2016, 07:17 PM
+1 of many of the above. Sad, very sad but in the sport we chose, slipping to neutral, in our minds even for a split second can have grave consequences...Sorry for your loss!

seadog
08-08-2016, 07:48 PM
A long time friend is hard to lose, like losing a family member and all of us experience riders know that a moments lack of 100% concentration can end our ride, we all enjoy riding on two wheel but its still hard when we lose someone we have known a long time. My condolences on your loss, keep in mine though that he was doing something he loved, I have always told my family that, if my life ends riding a motorcycle I was doing something I loved and enjoyed.

jm21ddd15
08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Such sad news. Sorry for your loss, and your Clubs loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your Club.

hardtail
08-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Truly sorry to here this. My best thoughts to you and your friends.

Blk6bgg6
08-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Wow,hang tough chop top and think of all the good times u had..condolenses

soberbiker
08-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Sorry for your loss Chop. Like has been said...blink of an eye. Rip to your friend and ride safe.

Big Jay
08-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Sorry for your loss ,always hard to loose a friend our family, prayers for you and his family and friends.

3Chief
08-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Sorry for your loss.

carpdm
08-09-2016, 01:53 PM
So sorry to read this. Prayers sent.

adventurous1
08-11-2016, 10:33 PM
That's brutal. And yes, it can all happen in a blink of an eye. Prayers are with you.

grendl
08-13-2016, 12:14 PM
My Condolences and best wishes to you and the family of your friend ,Choptop. Not much else to say .brother.Godspeed..

Ixol Phaane
08-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Hey, Choptop... so sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and everyone affected.

You're so right about life changing in a moment. As a member of a large, busy fire department I've seen so many mc incidents over the years that I can't count 'em. Sometimes it's new rider error... sometimes the fault of someone else. It's happened to a few of our members over the years, too, as well as civilians. It's never easy... always sad and difficult. And it will give you pause and make you consider if what we're doing for pleasure is worth the risk, as it should. It sounds like your friend was living and enjoying himself. God bless him for that. I've always felt that just living is a risk... so better to be brave and do the things that you love than let life pass you by. So, when I ride, I give a thought to these things... then tuck away the sad and enjoy the moments. I think that's what God wants us to do.

Peace

choptop
08-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Hey, Choptop... so sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and everyone affected.

You're so right about life changing in a moment. As a member of a large, busy fire department I've seen so many mc incidents over the years that I can't count 'em. Sometimes it's new rider error... sometimes the fault of someone else. It's happened to a few of our members over the years, too, as well as civilians. It's never easy... always sad and difficult. And it will give you pause and make you consider if what we're doing for pleasure is worth the risk, as it should. It sounds like your friend was living and enjoying himself. God bless him for that. I've always felt that just living is a risk... so better to be brave and do the things that you love than let life pass you by. So, when I ride, I give a thought to these things... then tuck away the sad and enjoy the moments. I think that's what God wants us to do.

Peace

What you say is so true.

Darren
08-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Got back from Sturgis Yesterday. Met up w/a riding club, from the Twin Cities, the "Lost 202", that I have been a member of since '02, that I have ridden many miles with, trips and day rides and enjoyed many a party, in the club house and on the road. Last Thursday morning appx 2 hours into our first Sturgis ride, coming out of Spearfish Canyon up the long hill, something distracted our ride leader, the founding member and President of our club since the be beginning and proud to have called my friend, causing him to loose control in the corner, crashed and died along side the road. This was an experienced rider, many years and many, many miles on 2 wheels and now he is gone. It happens that fast folks. What we love and enjoy doing comes w/ possible tragic consequences in a moment if we don't give it 100% of our attention 100% of the time. On the way back, I had one of those moments, thinking to much lost my concentration and probably came the closest to dying that I have ever encountered, but I guess it wasn't my time. Be careful out their. RIP E.J.

So sorry for your loss