PDA

View Full Version : just installed an 11" madstad

rdeady
08-13-2016, 01:10 PM
I Have tried the stock 7" screen which did practically nothing. I have the honda 17 tall with vent which blocked the airflow in front nicely but had a nasty vacuum and crazy buffeting at 65 plus miles per hr. So I just installed the madstad 11" extra dark grey. Very nice build quality,great people to deal with,seems to look just fine on the bike to me(not as cool as the little 7" screen but that's not usable anyway). Took the b out this morning on highway and tried about 8 diff positions. Is it better then the tall honda screen? Yes it certainly is ! BUT ,is it blocking all the buffeting NO it is not. At least not in any of the positions i tried. Went around 95 MPH for a few seconds and it actually worked pretty darn good at that speed. But i travel 65 to 80 on the hwy and the wind is still not really as clean as i was hoping for. Granted its like 95 degrees here on jersey shore today and feels like 105 so maybe the heat effects performance i have no idea. I will work with it some more when it cools off out there. I am 5 10" kinda long neck and i can easily see over the 11' in its highest position even with it tilted top/forward so I'm wondering if the 13" might do a better job? In any case I will report back with my findings and opinions. If this thing does not work like i had hoped it would for me I may have to put one of the F4 Super large ones on and look through it. I'm not giving up yet though preliminary test only so far on the madstad.
Russ

Davidk
08-13-2016, 01:29 PM
I Have tried the stock 7" screen which did practically nothing. I have the honda 17 tall with vent which blocked the airflow in front nicely but had a nasty vacuum and crazy buffeting at 65 plus miles per hr. So I just installed the madstad 11" extra dark grey. Very nice build quality,great people to deal with,seems to look just fine on the bike to me(not as cool as the little 7" screen but that's not usable anyway). Took the b out this morning on highway and tried about 8 diff positions. Is it better then the tall honda screen? Yes it certainly is ! BUT ,is it blocking all the buffeting NO it is not. At least not in any of the positions i tried. Went around 95 MPH for a few seconds and it actually worked pretty darn good at that speed. But i travel 65 to 80 on the hwy and the wind is still not really as clean as i was hoping for. Granted its like 95 degrees here on jersey shore today and feels like 105 so maybe the heat effects performance i have no idea. I will work with it some more when it cools off out there. I am 5 10" kinda long neck and i can easily see over the 11' in its highest position even with it tilted top/forward so I'm wondering if the 13" might do a better job? In any case I will report back with my findings and opinions. If this thing does not work like i had hoped it would for me I may have to put one of the F4 Super large ones on and look through it. I'm not giving up yet though preliminary test only so far on the madstad.
Russ

I bought that size as well and returned it. I tried it at all different heights and angles and could not get it to block enough wind. The height and angle are all related to rider placement and height

I ended up going with a Windbender of the same size and found it to be better. The WB has a recurve which helps a lot. It is adjustable height, but its awkward. I found the higher it put it, the more wind I got. Donn't understand that. I also later bought their Rake Kit which did help somewhat, but not as much as I hoped. The rake kit is way too expensive at $180 and is awkward to adjust. I think the best option might be a Madstad bracket with a Windbender shield if you can buy the shield and bracket separately

Heavvyduty
08-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Russ

I'm 6ft 3 went with the 13 works like a charm

DMAGOLDRDR
08-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Russ

When adjusting, make very small changes. 3 or 4 deg can make a surprising difference. Also for me the angle made big changes abut the height didn't do as much as I would have though.
For what it's worth.. I settled in at 55 deg up one inch with my 11" shield and I spend a lot of time at highway (75 -80) speeds.

Steve 0080
08-13-2016, 04:35 PM
You may also want to try Baker Hand Wings ...they help a lot and even more for the pillion.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/h18hw.html

I just bought the Next Gen. nice !!!

rdeady
08-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Steve I have the hand wings on there that was the first thing i bought. Seem to be good for directing breeze at me when hot but i don't know what else its really doing.
Hey maybe I'm just being a wimp and expecting to much out of a motorcycle shield ? Any thoughts on the possibility of a 13" working better? I'm sure i would still be looking over it as I can easily see over the 11" in full upward position. I want to spend some more money on a seat,backrest, foot pegs,rack etc but i need to lick this windshield issue first.

Davidk
08-13-2016, 05:56 PM
I want to spend some more money on a seat,backrest, foot pegs,rack etc but i need to lick this windshield issue first.

I would suggest that you get the seat and backrest before the windshield as that may change your riding position and height, both of which will affect windshield performance.

lloydmoore1
08-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Russ

this link might help
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8406-What-s-Ya-MadStad-Stats

53driver
08-15-2016, 08:21 AM
The engineering behind the Madstad is that the longer the gap is in between the windscreens, the better the venturi effect and throw wind over the rider.
SO, if you have an 11" raised all the way up, that will not be nearly as effective as a 13" lowered - even thought they are both at the same level relative to the rider's vision.
I'm 5'9", 30" inseam and with my Corbin seat - I couldn't comfortably see over the 13" in the lowest position. I went with the 11" and I'm still futzing with 1 degree here and there and 1 cm up and down, but I have found a really sweet spot - for me, my seat, and my body metrics.
Best of luck - Steve

willtill
08-15-2016, 08:51 AM
The engineering behind the Madstad is that the longer the gap is in between the windscreens, the better the venturi effect and throw wind over the rider.
SO, if you have an 11" raised all the way up, that will not be nearly as effective as a 13" lowered - even thought they are both at the same level relative to the rider's vision.
I'm 5'9", 30" inseam and with my Corbin seat - I couldn't comfortably see over the 13" in the lowest position. I went with the 11" and I'm still futzing with 1 degree here and there and 1 cm up and down, but I have found a really sweet spot - for me, my seat, and my body metrics.
Best of luck - Steve

If that is true, that is very helpful in understanding the madness of the Madstad. I still have yet to find the "sweet spot" but am trying... this hot weather up here hasn't been a joy to ride in lately.... :icon_frown:

53driver
08-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Best of luck - Steve

If that is true, that is very helpful in understanding the madness of the Madstad. I still have yet to find the "sweet spot" but am trying... this hot weather up here hasn't been a joy to ride in lately.... :icon_frown:

That was per the phonecon btwn myself and "Blake" at Madstad when I was trying to decide what size to get when I had the stock seat on as I was right between the 11" & 13". With the Corbin, that lowered me so the 13 was no longer an option.

rdeady
08-15-2016, 03:07 PM
I think I'm going to have them send a 13" clear (i have the 11" extra dark). I rode 50 miles yesterday in that unbearable heat on jersey shore and at 50 the thing was a charm. But when i got on the highway and went 70 had buffeting. So ill get the clear in case i want to raise it all the way up and peek through it and thats where ill need the clear. Love the look of the extra dark though. Ill pay them for the 13" also as apposed to sending the 11 back and then figure out if i can get one of them to satisfy my need for clean air.

rdeady
08-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Have a 13" incoming. I will give my thoughts when i try it out. As for the 11". It seems to work great up to 50 mph. Just a gentle breeze in the face. But at 65 plus
it just did not eliminate as much wind as i would like. I also jumped up on back seat a couple times to see what a passenger would feel. Well they would get blown off the bike :)
It did stop the nasty nasty buffeting that the honda oem 17 tall windshield had, that is the truth. At 40+ with the honda shield it was like someone was pushing me from behind (nasty vacuum) and at 70 i was getting my head slapped around. With the honda shield i needed no glassess as it blocked 100% of the wind in my face while hammering you on the sides and back of the head. With the madstad I do get wind in the face just happens to be pleasant at 50 and below. I am hoping the 13" will do the trick but I really have my doubts. If it doesn't work my next and final attempt will be a f4 customs touring shield. I don't want to look through a shield and never have but as a last resort I will go that route.
Russ