PDA

View Full Version : Spacebags is it for sure

seadog
08-15-2016, 06:41 PM
I just put a complete rain suit with knee high gators into a space bag and after the air was out it took up less than a 1/4 of the space it did when it was in its own plastic bag. This space bag is the one you just squeeze the air out of, me weighing in at 250 pounds just got most of it out by squeezing and then I sat on it in a chair, that was the finish touch . You don't need a vacuum to do the job. It came out nice and flat. Definitely the way to go if your packing for a good size jaunt around the country and want to reduce the volume of the clothes your taking....

Bighutch14
08-15-2016, 06:56 PM
That's a great idea seadog for saving space. But when you have to use it are you going to be able to replicate that at the hotel or on the road? Really good idea though. Thanks.

seadog
08-15-2016, 07:05 PM
That's a great idea seadog for saving space. But when you have to use it are you going to be able to replicate that at the hotel or on the road? Really good idea though. Thanks.

I am not a folding expert by any means, I just put them together as best I could and put them in the space bag. A bunch of squeezing later and then use your weight to compress it and your good to go. easy breezy japanesey

53driver
08-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Packing for a trip....
From now on, when I'm trying to make something fit, I recall GA Teach went on the road from 20 May to 27 Jun with her two saddlebags. And her Full Face helmet occupying most of one of them.
Makes me appear REALLY high maintenance.....

Davidk
08-15-2016, 08:20 PM
I just put a complete rain suit with knee high gators into a space bag and after the air was out it took up less than a 1/4 of the space it did when it was in its own plastic bag. This space bag is the one you just squeeze the air out of, me weighing in at 250 pounds just got most of it out by squeezing and then I sat on it in a chair, that was the finish touch . You don't need a vacuum to do the job. It came out nice and flat. Definitely the way to go if your packing for a good size jaunt around the country and want to reduce the volume of the clothes your taking....

link to the product?

seadog
08-16-2016, 06:34 AM
link to the product?

I sure most any big box store would carry them. These I bought from Meijers here in Cadillac, Michigan and they are just Zip Lock storage bags. You can get the ones that are for a vacuum or the one you just press on to get the air out.

seadog
08-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Packing for a trip....
From now on, when I'm trying to make something fit, I recall GA Teach went on the road from 20 May to 27 Jun with her two saddlebags. And her Full Face helmet occupying most of one of them.
Makes me appear REALLY high maintenance.....

I for a short trip put that big Kuryakyn Ultra tour bag on the back of my bike and had it stuffed to the gill with everything I took with me. So I guess traveling lite is a problem for most of us. Side pods were packed also with rain gear, tools, small compressor, tire plugs, glove, extra water bottles. Could have used a nice trailer too.

willtill
08-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Ever packed an Army duffel bag? :icon_wink: I used to PCS in the early days, with everything I owned within two of them.

bob109
08-16-2016, 08:15 AM
I sure most any big box store would carry them. These I bought from Meijers here in Cadillac, Michigan and they are just Zip Lock storage bags. You can get the ones that are for a vacuum or the one you just press on to get the air out.

Harbor Freight is your friend! They have the "vacuum stowage bags" available for a reasonable price:icon_wink:

Currently on sale for $4.99 for 3ea.!

stevenolts
08-17-2016, 07:47 AM
How do you do this (vacuum seal) on a trip when the rain is here and there? I had to put on / take off my rain gear 50 times on my last trip to Florida. I am done with it!!!

I just bought a Klim Overland jacket: $429.00 (worth every penny)
Goretex / 840 Denier / full vents / D30 molecular armor / on & on / the best made ???

I have Klim Lattitude pants being delivered any day. $499.00 (worth every penny)
Goretex / 840 Denier / full vents / D30 molecular armor / on & on / the best made ???

The Klim stuff is the most comfortable gear I have ever worn, flows a ton of air, 100% waterproof guaranteed for life.
The warranty is guaranteed for life on the entire outfit.

No more carrying rain gear
I will now have both saddlebags for storage
The best protection available
Lifetime guarantee
the most comfort
airflow
(how much is all that worth)

I have become a gear geek and have been on a quest to get the right gear and have tried Dainese, Scorpion and others but the Klim is another level.
I have 3 leather jackets / 2 mesh jackets & leather, full denier, and mesh pants.
These all serve specific purposes but nothing does it all like the Klim.
best protection safety
rain, heat, and cold protection
most comfort
very good looks

I know it is very expensive but we are worth the money right?
I figure I ride every day in the rain, heat, cold so it is worth the extra cost. Hell we buy everything we can for the bike why not treat ourselves.

I recommend the Klim gear as the best I have found / but I will change my mind when I find something better.

Steve

willtill
08-17-2016, 07:51 AM
How do you do this (vacuum seal) on a trip when the rain is here and there? I had to put on / take off my rain gear 50 times on my last trip to Florida. I am done with it!!!

I have Klim Lattitude pants being delivered any day. $499.00 (worth every penny)

The Klim stuff is the most comfortable gear I have ever worn, flows a ton of air, 100% waterproof guaranteed for life.

Lifetime guarantee
the most comfort
airflow

I have become a gear geek and have been on a quest to get the right gear and have tried Dainese, Scorpion and others but the Klim is another level.
I have 3 leather jackets / 2 mesh jackets & leather, full denier, and mesh pants.
best protection safety
most comfort
very good looks

I figure I ride every day in the rain, heat, cold so it is worth the extra cost. Hell we buy everything we can for the bike why not treat ourselves.

I recommend the Klim gear as the best I have found / but I will change my mind when I find something better.

Steve

A thousand dollars for one jacket and a pair of pants? Surely you jest :shock:

seadog
08-17-2016, 08:43 AM

Lifetime guarantee
the most comfort
airflow

best protection safety
most comfort
very good looks

Steve

It ought to clean itself for that kind of money! Haven't got enough currency for that kind of stuff. I thought a good rain suit like the one I have is enough money for what its for. I have other priorities like taking care of the bike. Just spent 300 and some bucks on replacing the front tire and an antifreeze change. balancing beads and new valve stem. I ran in the rain for most part of a day and was dry so the rain suit I have will have to do until I hit the Lottery.

seadog
08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Harbor Freight is your friend! They have the "vacuum stowage bags" available for a reasonable price:icon_wink:

Currently on sale for $4.99 for 3ea.!

I would opt for the bags that you just use your weight on to squeeze out the air. where you going to find a vacuum at the hotel to put all those uncompressed dirty clothes back in the bags

Buckeye_F6B
08-17-2016, 09:16 AM
You can order some from Amazon

http://www.containerstore.com/s/travel/clothing-accessories-organizers/travel-space-bags-by-ziploc/12d?productId=10006747

seadog
08-17-2016, 09:32 AM
You can order some from Amazon

http://www.containerstore.com/s/travel/clothing-accessories-organizers/travel-space-bags-by-ziploc/12d?productId=10006747

These are the right ones! No need for a vacuum to suck out the air you just squeeze it out and then use your weight to compress it and believe me they do work nicely.

53driver
08-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Ever packed an Army duffel bag? :icon_wink: I used to PCS in the early days, with everything I owned within two of them.

Yes! Although I think "sea bags" were actually smaller....

junkyarddog
08-18-2016, 10:37 AM

That's with all your basic issue AND civvies.

bob109
08-18-2016, 11:39 AM
I would opt for the bags that you just use your weight on to squeeze out the air. where you going to find a vacuum at the hotel to put all those uncompressed dirty clothes back in the bags

Staying in a hotel would suggest you have access to both a sink and tub! That said, here's a little trick for using either to remove air from sealable plastic bags. This video shows the process on "chicken" but would work for clothing IMHO:039:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVrdV47VXlfAAUMIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNXQ0NTh jBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1471566806/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3d9Lh6 lGj20Jw/RK=0/RS=4PHpqzZ8I.il600tg7qHcxJUbr4-

Cool Hand Luke
08-18-2016, 10:19 PM
These are the right ones! No need for a vacuum to suck out the air you just squeeze it out and then use your weight to compress it and believe me they do work nicely.

Awesome find, thank you! I'll be using them hopefully on my trip to Daytona Biketoberfest!