PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on backrest

ff73148
05-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a F6B Deluxe but I need some advice. My wife was complaining about the passenger backrest. She says it too low. Has anyone done any modifications to the backrest? Thanks.
Frank Ferrante

Phantom
05-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a F6B Deluxe but I need some advice. My wife was complaining about the passenger backrest. She says it too low. Has anyone done any modifications to the backrest? Thanks.
Frank Ferrante

http://www.corbin.com/honda/hf6bdte.shtml

Steve 0080
05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
You might want to actually try it out first,,,before you start throwing money...

MichaelG
05-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I agree with Steve, try it out first. Then if she still doesn't like it, trade in the wife. (no, just kidding)

See what Utopia has for a passenger backrest. They are THEE place to go for a riders backrest, so they may carry a passenger backrest too. Otherwise, you may "have" to go to Corbin.

MSGT-R
05-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Check with the guys at Wing Stuff before you do anything..

TennX
05-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Frank Ferrante

I dont have a F6B yet, but I actively follow all the forums, its my understanding that ultimate will be offering a bracket to raise the passenger backrest...good luck

ddoug
05-12-2013, 08:37 AM
I bought three inch bolts,made two inch spacers,and installed these in place of the factory bolts behind the rear cover of the pad. Wife likes it much better.

chipmaker
05-12-2013, 01:09 PM
I bought three inch bolts,made two inch spacers,and installed these in place of the factory bolts behind the rear cover of the pad. Wife likes it much better.

Can you post pics? I thought about something like this, but was concerned about strength. My wife and daughter may like a little taller back rest also.

ddoug
05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Can you post pics? I thought about something like this, but was concerned about strength. My wife and daughter may like a little taller back rest also.

pull the back cover off ; and it will all make sense. Buy 1/2" tubing , cut too 2" long ; paint black. If I remember ;the 3" long bolts are 8x1.25? Metric something. Take the factory bolt to the store with you.

sorry -I'm not sure how to post pics.

Lawndee
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Hello All,

I a newbie to the F6B Riders, but not to motorcycles, and big Hondas. Traded a perfectly good 2010 GL1800 with 8,000 miles on it for the F6B new in the crate. I am NOT sorry I did that! No need to gush onwards about what we already know. What an awesome motorcycle.

My one beef is the passenger backrest I had the dealer install, (I did not by the deluxe F6). What is Honda thinking? I am sorry to report that this passenger backrest is woefully inadequate. Yes, I am not a young guy, and neither is the XYL. Anyhow -

I have a Utopia installed for me, but I have been looking high and low for a decent passenger backrest, the Honda-line one is kind'a silly for me and my gal age group. So far, the only off the shelf option I can find is Corbin. I have also exchanged emails with Bob at Utopia, he is willing to have a look at fabricating a passenger backrest to match the Utopia driver backrest I have. I will have to send him my Honda-line passenger backrest for him to figure out what to do. No problem there. Hopefully someone can propose a third or fourth idea, but since the F6B is so new, there are not a lot of options on the market yet.

Thanks, glad I signed up for this group, looks like a good place to be. 8-D

(maybe I'll figure out how to add a picture or two)

Teach
07-19-2013, 07:41 PM
One of the members on this forum has made a taller bracket which simply replaces the stock Honda one. This new bracket raises the Honda backrest I believe 3" and makes it more user friendly.
Now here are my findings: I cut some 3/8 steel gas pipe to 4" lengths. I ordered two motor studs long enough to accommodate the 4" sections of pipe and still leave enough thread for nuts. Removed backrest via two bolts, installed two studs, dropped two 4" sections of pipe over studs, reattached backrest with self locking nuts. Way better for Mrs than stock BUT still lacking in support should she want to lean back.

So the ONLY option currently available is the Corbin stand alone which is 14" wide and 12" tall, slightly better and more useable angle.

Now here is a real interesting ALTERNATIVE. Buy another Utopia backrest. Using "Ultimates" extension bracket and bolt the Utopia to that, tada fixed. Your Mrs will have a larger backrest and it will be fully adjustable.

GiddyupF6B
07-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Steve0080 makes a passenger back rest riser, it rises the backrest 4 inches and it's $40 shipped. I put it on last week and my girlfriend loves it! She said it is now the perfect height. I strongly recommend it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111118212398?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Lawndee
07-20-2013, 04:37 AM
Thank you Teach & Giddyup for excellent suggestions. Teach's alternative suggestion intrigues me quite a lot. "Ultimates" was referred to in the post, if you have a chance, help me out with what that refers to.

I took another look at Corbin's offerings, great looking total solution to replacing the whole seat and backrests, but that price will buy a lot of double cheeseburgers as a friend of mine says.

Anyhow, Thanks!

chipmaker
07-20-2013, 05:07 AM
My wife and daughter like Steve's riser. Cheap also.

Rikrok
07-20-2013, 07:46 AM
I too, am going thru the back rest/seat dilemma. Could someone take a quick measurement of the width and height of just the Honda passenger pad for me?

Thanks

KGREEN
07-20-2013, 08:05 AM
I did what ddoug suggested, but I made mine 3" spacers from some old pipe I had at the house. My wife said it was a great improvement over stock.

Steve 0080
07-20-2013, 08:42 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backrest-F6B-Riser-/111123523205?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item19df7a6685&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backrest-F6B-Riser-/111123523205?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item19df7a6685&vxp=mtr#ht_315wt_911

The listing ran out last night so I put it up again,,,,Thanks again !!!

Lawndee
07-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I called Corbin today, the sell their P/N "H-F6B-PAD" which is just what is says, a replacement backrest pad, which uses the Honda backrest brackets and hardware. $298.00 shipped. 2-3 week lead-time. It will fit the bike either with Corbin's seat, or the Honda factory seat, thankfully, so that eases the over-budget burden on the bike seating. Aren't bike projects *always* over-budget !

As they build to order, you can pretty much have it look the way you want. I went with black & black, no piping, no tuck & roll on the surface so it will sorta' match the Utopia.

After all the smoke and dust have settled for me with this "what do I do" situation, I end up with the Honda OEM seat, a Utopia driver backrest, Corbin passenger backrest pad mounted on Honda OEM backrest frame and brackets. Wife approves purchase of Corbin backrest, as she was very displeased with the Honda part. The Corbin pad is generously sized.

Trouble is, I buy the Honda OEM backrest, throw away the pad (toy for the dog?), use the hardware, and then buy another pad at basically the same money as the Honda OEM backrest costs. Total passenger backrest outlay - about $600.00 :banghead:

Summary: OEM seat $20,000, Utopia driver backrest $199.00, Honda OEM passenger backrest $300.00, Corbin replacement pad, $298.00. All for a seat on 2 wheels, but wow what a set of wheels!

I'll put up a couple of pix when the parts come in and installed.

Teach
07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I gave this post a LOT of thought and came to the conclusion that buying Steve's mount for $40, plus the Utopia backrest and bolting the two together would be the best option, and probably the cheapest. We won't even mention no dog chew:icon_wink:, and fully adjustable. Corbin charges an additional $20 flat in addition to the backrest charge for shipping, just my thoughts.....

fl1madmax
07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I dont have a F6B yet, but I actively follow all the forums, its my understanding that ultimate will be offering a bracket to raise the passenger backrest...good luck

My Last 4 bikes have had Ultimate Seats, Road Star, Stratoliner, Gold Wing and Harley Road Gliide, Ill wait to see what they look like , theres a Corbin Place right up the road from Harley Destination , there both building them and they both come with Drivers and Passanger Back rest that pull out for Single around town Driving, I think a few months to Wait for something Great is worth, this is my last Bike, I'm 64 and got property on 129 North Georgia, the Dragon is only 2 hour ride, and all those roads are beautiful in the NE Georgia Area, Love this Scooter, I have 3000 miles cause I still work, but this bike is GREAT !!!!! some time you just have to wait , for the good stuff, then V&H pipes and I'm done Be Safe JB

RoughRider
07-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Thinking about replacing the stock seat with a Corbin and driver backrest. The stock is pretty comfortable though, don't know yet about long distances, but Im sure a backrest would be nice. I was thinking about using a Cruiser luggage bag to lean back on instead. Any opinions?

jeffro413
07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
we just finished this today. Haven't figured out a price yet, I'm heading to Sturgis tomorrow to test it for a week. its 5" taller at the tallest point. it is totally adjustable, pull a pin in the back and put it where you want it.
<br>874
<br>875

MercuryF1
07-24-2013, 03:15 AM
we just finished this today. Haven't figured out a price yet, I'm heading to Sturgis tomorrow to test it for a week. its 5" taller at the tallest point. it is totally adjustable, pull a pin in the back and put it where you want it.
<br>1339
<br>1340

This is interesting! :clap2:

Bruce B
07-24-2013, 06:35 PM
That looks really good. Lots of folks are going to be eager to see the details on that one. More pictures, well lit, showing back and side views would be good. Also a good close up, well lit, backview, with the back cover removed from the backrest. The more detail, the better, and of course, the pricing. I think you're on to something here. Hurry back from Sturgis.

Roddizog
07-29-2013, 05:27 AM
<br>1339
<br>1340

I'm leaving for San Diego from Philly on 8/2 with the wife in tow. She's not crazy about the stock backrest but was willing to give it a try on a long run. I saw the Corbin seat to late to get it in time for the ride. I ordered the riser from Steve today and I'm praying it makes it here in time. How did your invention hold out in Sturgis? Are you back yet? do you have a price yet? and can you ship next day? hahahaha. Hope you enjoyed Sturgis and had a chance to stop at Full Throttle Salon. I went last year and had a ball!!!!!!!

Roddizog
07-29-2013, 05:38 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backrest-F6B-Riser-/111123523205?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item19df7a6685&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backrest-F6B-Riser-/111123523205?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item19df7a6685&vxp=mtr#ht_315wt_911

The listing ran out last night so I put it up again,,,,Thanks again !!!

I'm leaving for San Diego from Philly on 8/2 with the wife in tow. She's not crazy about the stock backrest but was willing to give it a try on a long run. I saw the Corbin seat to late to get it in time for the ride. I ordered the riser from Steve's post today and I'm praying it makes it here in time. She's going to need something to lean back on and the stock rest is nothing but a butt chock like you said hahahaha

Steve 0080
07-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Roddizog....not to worry...I will send yours out this morning at the Post Office !!!! I will over night it just to be sure your wife is happy....I did leave a message on your phone..... Hope you enjoy your trip!!!!

GiddyupF6B
07-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Roddizog....not to worry...I will send yours out this morning at the Post Office !!!! I will over night it just to be sure your wife is happy....I did leave a message on your phone..... Hope you enjoy your trip!!!!

Now that's service! Well done Steve!!! :biggthumpup:

Paul B Blues
07-29-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a Utopia installed for me, but I have been looking high and low for a decent passenger backrest, the Honda-line one is kind'a silly for me and my gal age group. So far, the only off the shelf option I can find is Corbin. I have also exchanged emails with Bob at Utopia, he is willing to have a look at fabricating a passenger backrest to match the Utopia driver backrest I have. I will have to send him my Honda-line passenger backrest for him to figure out what to do. No problem there. Hopefully someone can propose a third or fourth idea, but since the F6B is so new, there are not a lot of options on the market yet.

(maybe I'll figure out how to add a picture or two)

Hi Lawndee,

I have just received my Utopia backrest, it's more substantial than it looks in the picture. I don't have my bike yet, but I'll get it fitted when I do. Are you getting along with it OK? I had an Ultimate and backrest on my Rune, and as a disabled rider I found the backrest invaluable :yes: Keep us posted on how you get on with it please.

Paul B.........:icon_cool:

Steve 0080
07-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks Giddyup........Package Mailed... Should be at your door 12 Noon Tuesday no signature required !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffro413
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM
sorry for the delayed response. I'm back, it worked great!! we are doing some finishing touches on it and I will have some pictures of the finished product in a couple of days. we went with a different latch system, so that is the hold up right now. stay tuned....

kjelders
08-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm interested in the final piece. I like the adjustable different heights. When the Mrs isn't riding with me, you would be able to put it back to stock height.

jeffro413
08-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm interested in the final piece. I like the adjustable different heights. When the Mrs isn't riding with me, you would be able to put it back to stock height.

yes, there are actually 5 different settings. when its at the bottom it actually sits about 1/8" taller then the stock setting.

ff73148
08-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Since I started this thread I thought I would tell everyone how I solved the issue. I went out and bought a Corbin saddle and the passenger back rest. Costly but it took care of the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions.

MercuryF1
08-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Since I started this thread I thought I would tell everyone how I solved the issue. I went out and bought a Corbin saddle and the passenger back rest. Costly but it took care of the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hope to hear read your review on your new saddle soon!

Roddizog
08-18-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm back from my ride to San Diego from Philly with the wife!!!!! Thanks to Steve's back rest and his fast shipping the wife enjoyed the whole entire trip!!!!! We did 600+ days and put about close to 7000 miles (round trip) on my baby
(F6B) and my baby rode like a champ!!!!!! We went the southern route (Tennessee, New Orleans, Texas, New Mexico, and into San Diego) we also rode the coast in to LA. I thought I was not ready for a wing yet but thank you Honda for the F6B!!!!!!

paqcom
05-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Anyone else having trouble removing the back of the passenger backrest? I removed the two bolts, but the cover won't come loose... Thanks.

ReserveBum
05-10-2014, 08:43 AM
after you remove the two screws, pry the bottom open a little and put your hand in. There are two plastic "V" shaped doodads that just need a little pressure to pop out. Seems to work best when you push them outwards from the inside

unsub
05-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Anyone else having trouble removing the back of the passenger backrest? I removed the two bolts, but the cover won't come loose... Thanks.

Does this help?

paqcom
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
after you remove the two screws, pry the bottom open a little and put your hand in. There are two plastic "V" shaped doodads that just need a little pressure to pop out. Seems to work best when you push them outwards from the inside

I could see those doodads after removing the screws. Didn't want to pull too hard, I was afraid of breaking something. Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Out riding the beast all day. What an awesome ride. Stopped in a rest area and had a couple around my age asking about the bike. She wanted to try out the passenger seat. I let her get on, he took a photo of us. I hope my fiance doesn't find it on the internet somewhere. Last week had two young ladies asking for a ride... Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if I'm successful...

paqcom
05-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Does this help?

Thanks for posting the diagrams. May I ask, where did you find those diagrams? Are there more somewhere? Thanks.

unsub
05-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for posting the diagrams. May I ask, where did you find those diagrams? Are there more somewhere? Thanks.

Not at all. A member here provided this link sometime ago. It's quite useful. You might have to refresh the page and if so, click on the link [top page] to the upper right. You will want to navigate to GL1800B for 2013.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/ei9998.aspx

paqcom
05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
I could see those doodads after removing the screws. Didn't want to pull too hard, I was afraid of breaking something. Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Out riding the beast all day. What an awesome ride. Stopped in a rest area and had a couple around my age asking about the bike. She wanted to try out the passenger seat. I let her get on, he took a photo of us. I hope my fiance doesn't find it on the internet somewhere. Last week had two young ladies asking for a ride... Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if I'm successful...

Putting my hand in did the trick. Popped right off. Side note; whoever put the bolts on for the bracket tightened them way too tight. One of the bolts is now turning in the white plastic piece without coming loose. Got it off anyway though... Success! Thanks for your help.

djohncline
05-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Think Steve's solution has better price point

#18140-D-BO - Passenger backrest bracket ONLY for Deluxe model F6B - 3 inches higher than stock.
Picture shows stock bracket and stock pad
vs
Ultimate bracket with stock pad
$45
http://www.ultimateseats.ca/f6b_oebr_compare.html

djohncline
05-13-2014, 12:18 PM
I called Corbin today, the sell their P/N "H-F6B-PAD" which is just what is says, a replacement backrest pad, which uses the Honda backrest brackets and hardware. $298.00 shipped. 2-3 week lead-time. It will fit the bike either with Corbin's seat, or the Honda factory seat, thankfully, so that eases the over-budget burden on the bike seating. Aren't bike projects *always* over-budget !

As they build to order, you can pretty much have it look the way you want. I went with black & black, no piping, no tuck & roll on the surface so it will sorta' match the Utopia.

After all the smoke and dust have settled for me with this "what do I do" situation, I end up with the Honda OEM seat, a Utopia driver backrest, Corbin passenger backrest pad mounted on Honda OEM backrest frame and brackets. Wife approves purchase of Corbin backrest, as she was very displeased with the Honda part. The Corbin pad is generously sized.

Trouble is, I buy the Honda OEM backrest, throw away the pad (toy for the dog?), use the hardware, and then buy another pad at basically the same money as the Honda OEM backrest costs. Total passenger backrest outlay - about $600.00 :banghead:

Summary: OEM seat $20,000, Utopia driver backrest $199.00, Honda OEM passenger backrest $300.00, Corbin replacement pad, $298.00. All for a seat on 2 wheels, but wow what a set of wheels!

I'll put up a couple of pix when the parts come in and installed.

The stock setup was an after thought by Honda IMHO. It does provide a place to put you foot while wheeling. How did your setup workout.

djohncline
05-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Has anyone installed one of these. $300 seems steep considering the Mustang was only $550.

Darren
05-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I emailed Jeff Schultz at stormlakehonda.com they have a backrest extension for $150 they are refining it at mo due to some rattle issues without a passenger, but says they should have the finished product soon.

Ebony Deluxe
05-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Has anyone installed one of these. $300 seems steep considering the Mustang was only $550.

Just a few pics and post from August of last year.

Just rolled in from Corbin, Hollister. New pad is a must, stock one did not cut it for the wife. Looks bigger in the flesh then on the website. When they brought out the pad it was square looking with a rounded top, did not flow too well with the bike. I had them raise the top to a peak, making the pad look longer, and not as stubby. Raising the pad made the OEM bracket flex, so they reinforced with a few welds. There was not much fabric to choose from, none of their fabric matched the OEM grain, so I just went with black leather. All in all, The wife is happy, I'm happy. Looks good.

Steve 0080
05-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Ultimate is the way to go…my powder coater went out of business!!! Someone put a leather like sleeve over the unit and it looked Great!!!

AV8Rick
05-15-2014, 07:07 AM
My wife thought the same thing but after a few miles I havent heard a complaint.

unsub
05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Just a few pics and post from August of last year.

I'm happy.

That's all that counts.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe.