PDA

View Full Version : Harley Davidson gets their...

willtill
08-18-2016, 04:12 PM
...tallywhacker slapped by Big Brother. :shock:

No more "Screaming Eagle" tuners :shhh:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-18/harley-ends-screamin-eagle-sales-after-u-s-emissions-suit

Harley-Davidson Inc. will pay $15 million to end a U.S. lawsuit accusing the iconic motorcycle maker of selling performance-enhancing engine tuners the government said were illegal emission-control defeat devices.

In a settlement announced Thursday, Harley also said it would stop selling and buy back and destroy its “Screamin’ Eagle” Pro Super Tuners.

taxfree4
08-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Europe has VW and America has Harley Davidson, they're like two moronic cousins although I can't hate them for trying to screw the environmental wackos that believe a can of deodorant or a tailpipe will cause the Apocolypse, at least don't get caught.

bob109
08-18-2016, 04:46 PM
With the Screaming Eagle enhancements now done, how are those Harley Folks going to "pull stumps":shock:

There should be a big decrease in "sticker prices" at the HD Dealers. Maybe a "fire sale" of sorts:icon_doh:

We best not be too smug as Big Brother will be looking at other "fuel/performance add on boxes":shhh:

Not sure if this is the culprit or not! Just $250.00 from your local HD Dealer!

unsub
08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
For it to be a successful buy back program owners need to be willing to bring them back to the store. Willing is the operative word.

Now that the hammer has come down I imagine the value of any bike with that installed will command a higher price, albeit just outside the law..

BIGLRY
08-18-2016, 06:17 PM
For it to be a successful buy back program owners need to be willing to bring them back to the store. Willing is the operative word.

Now that the hammer has come down I imagine the value of any bike with that installed will command a higher price, albeit just outside the law..Here is the real kicker and is going to have a lot of H-D owners up in arms "provision in the settlement discourages owners from using the modifications by terminating their warranty if they do."
The case is U.S. v. Harley-Davidson Inc., 16-cv-1687, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/enrd/pages/attachments/2016/08/18/env_enforcement-2608481-v1-harley_davidson_consent_decree-filed.pdf
and my stock in H-D fell almost 8 percent on news of the lawsuit before rebounding. They closed down 1.7 percent in New York trading today.:yikes:

opas ride
08-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Shame on HD, but a $12 million dollar fine is "peanuts" to a company as big as they are...Should have been fined $50 million in my opinion...If they were a car company they would have paid "up the ass"......JMHO

BIGLRY
08-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Shame on HD, but a $12 million dollar fine is "peanuts" to a company as big as they are...Should have been fined $50 million in my opinion...If they were a car company they would have paid "up the ass"......JMHO
Yea the fine ain't much, but what they are going to lose in stock price, buybacks, customer loyalty and just plain pissed off guys who can't get warranty work done if they still have the screaming chicken still on is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $12 million IMO. time will tell:icon_lol:

Steve 0080
08-18-2016, 07:26 PM

And WHO do you think pays these fines? F&*K the EPA.....

unsub
08-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Here is the real kicker and is going to have a lot of H-D owners up in arms "provision in the settlement discourages owners from using the modifications by terminating their warranty if they do."
The case is U.S. v. Harley-Davidson Inc., 16-cv-1687, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/enrd/pages/attachments/2016/08/18/env_enforcement-2608481-v1-harley_davidson_consent_decree-filed.pdf
and my stock in H-D fell almost 8 percent on news of the lawsuit before rebounding. They closed down 1.7 percent in New York trading today.:yikes:

yeah maybe to those that have warranty coverage still. Otherwise uh-uh...

willtill
08-19-2016, 05:50 AM
I think almost any type "aftermarket" accessory that you can buy, has a disclaimer of "for off road use only". Especially air/fuel/exhaust/ECM enhancements.

This supposedly covers the third party manufacturers butt. However the EPA did attempt a move towards the regulation of "off road" vehicles in the same aspect... but then withdrew. Here's just a quick link that I found remarking that:

http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/victory-epa-withdraws-proposed-rule-devastated-alabama-racing/

opas ride
08-19-2016, 09:15 AM
And WHO do you think pays these fines? F&*K the EPA.....

HD fine is a "drop in the bucket" compared to the $Billions we give to Iran, Irag, etc. etc....This country is so F'd up in its priorities that we will never get out of debt.......Huck Fillary!!!!

YikesCops
08-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I would not bring the bike back. Who cares about the warranty. You would make the money on the resale. You want to be an "outlaw," here's your chance.

Spanky
08-19-2016, 12:28 PM
So if I remember correctly, after I bought mine, The SERT, or race tuner was a module that unlocked the ECM, to load custom tunes.
What's stopping someone from loading the latest map, returning it for a full refund? Will HD really remap all bikes to the stock tune?
I may be able to fine mine somewhere in a box.

willtill
08-19-2016, 12:37 PM
So if I remember correctly, after I bought mine, The SERT, or race tuner was a module that unlocked the ECM, to load custom tunes.
What's stopping someone from loading the latest map, returning it for a full refund? Will HD really remap all bikes to the stock tune?
I may be able to fine mine somewhere in a box.

If it ever comes in for service, they probably have a record of the customer purchasing a screaming chicken in the computer.. and they may just reflash the ECM as a matter of protocol.

Penguin
08-22-2016, 11:10 AM
With the Screaming Eagle enhancements now done, how are those Harley Folks going to "pull stumps":shock:

There should be a big decrease in "sticker prices" at the HD Dealers. Maybe a "fire sale" of sorts:icon_doh:

We best not be too smug as Big Brother will be looking at other "fuel/performance add on boxes":shhh:

Not sure if this is the culprit or not! Just $250.00 from your local HD Dealer!

Those tuners were absolute junk and at the dealer I worked at quit installing them. First you had to find a place to stuff it into and second you had to spend serious time and money on the dyno. Harley is notorious for coming out with junk products that don't work and then discontinuing them.

Circle-5
08-22-2016, 01:10 PM
The worst part about this is how it opens the door for heavy-handed regulation on after-market exhaust pipes, ECU remapping (both hardware and software) and any other performance enhancements. There are countless government regulators out there, trying to justify their existence ...

YikesCops
08-22-2016, 01:17 PM
The worst part about this is how it opens the door for heavy-handed regulation on after-market exhaust pipes, ECU remapping (both hardware and software) and any other performance enhancements. There are countless government regulators out there, trying to justify their existence ...

Great point. I have no idea of how they would keep up with after market equipment that's sold all over the world. Again, not a good use of government resources chasing around middle-aged dudes trying to make their rides better.

Circle-5
08-22-2016, 04:24 PM
I have no idea of how they would keep up with after market equipment that's sold all over the world. Again, not a good use of government resources chasing around middle-aged dudes trying to make their rides better.

Simple: pass a regulation that requires certain components to have a DOT-approved inscription (like helmets already do), then enforce it by confiscating money from violators. Heck, every acronym in government could demand a share of such easy money: EPA, AQMDs, OAR (that's the Office of Air and Radiation, for those who don't keep up. Yes, somebody is in charge of the air).

In France, the government is banning motorcycles from entering Paris, if they were built before 2000. Other cities are salivating at the idea of doing the same. Can you imagine getting a hefty fine because you dared enter the city on your 1999 Valkyrie? And they call themselves "liberals".

Yes, governments will always invent ever increasing regulatory burdens, until everybody is constantly breaking one law or another, simply to fund their pension liabilities.

But I digress ...