PDA

View Full Version : Put together my F6B "Tool Kit" today

willtill
08-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Decided to finally get some tools together and have them ready to throw in the saddlebag for the Rally next month. Had some extra tools laying around and just augmented them with some new ones as well for this kit. Maybe taking too much... but better to have it and not need it; rather than to need it and not have it :icon_wink: Not ever expecting having to use these tools on the F6B... but may come in handy for someone else whom is come across; stranded for lack of a tool :yes:

Probably the MOST important tool(s) in the kit below are the air compressor and the tire plugging kit. This is absolutely a MUST for a tubeless motorcycle. :shhh:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2m4f2pz.jpg

Metric assorted wrench set (18mm - 7mm)
Flat tip screwdrivers
Phillips screwdrivers
Needle nose pliers
Slip joint pliers
Wide mouth adjustable wrench
SAE Hex key combo tool
Metric Hex key combo tool
Torx Hex key combo tool
Jumper cables
Slime air compressor
Digital tire air gauge
Razor knife
Tire Plugging kit
Electrical tape
Electrical wire
Flashlight
Assorted Mini and ATA fuses

All weighs 10 pounds when said and done; in the bag

http://i65.tinypic.com/k80nt.jpg

What else may I have missed, that you would feel would be necessary for a travel tool bag?

stroguy
08-21-2016, 01:54 PM
A credit card.

Sorcerer
08-21-2016, 01:57 PM
You don't have anything to remove the front or rear wheels. For trip I carry tools to remove the seat/ backrest to access the relays hidden underneath the seat. Also sockets/ allen sockets a 3/8" long handle wratcitwrench, adapters , torqwrench to remove both tires. Slime air pump, stop&ago mushrum plug kit. Addiquit space on a cc for a roll back.

willtill
08-21-2016, 01:58 PM
A credit card.

Yep. Got that too... but not in the kit :icon_wink:

Also have a mobile phone. But I think I need to throw in a roll of 100mph tape in the bag... that stuff is a great field expedient. :yes:

willtill
08-21-2016, 02:01 PM
You don't have anything to remove the front or rear wheels. For trip I carry tools to remove the seat/ backrest to access the relays hidden underneath the seat. Also sockets/ allen sockets a 3/8" long handle wratcitwrench, adapters , torqwrench to remove both tires. Slime air pump, stop&ago mushrum plug kit. Addiquit space on a cc for a roll back.

You know.. I was thinking of that... but if I'm at the point where I have to remove the rear (or front) wheel.. I am already looking for mobile assistance. I believe the rear lugs are 19mm deep well socket, and the front axle is a 22mm wrench or socket...

The Metric Hex key combo tool that I have; has the necessary hex key sizes (5 and 6mm) to remove the F6B's luggage rack and seat.

seadog
08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
That's not a Harley your riding, its a Honda Goldwing, it would have to be a Harley to require that many tools. I have a Cruz metric tool kit, the small slime compressor, a Stop and Go tire plugging kit and a flash light

RoadTech RTM3 Metric Tool Kit by Cruz Tools
Includes:
•Combination wrenches (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm)
•8" adjustable wrench
•Mini ratchet 2" extension
•Sockets (8mm, 10mm, 12mm)
•Hex keys (3mm-6mm)
•6-in-1 screwdriver
•2-in-1 spark plug socket (5/8" x 13/16")
•Gap gauge
•Locking pliers
•Electrical tape
•Cable ties
•Mechanics wire
•Thread locker
•Tire pressure gauge
•3.5" x 9.5" roll-up polyester pouch

and its all rolled up in a small nice tie roll and doesn't hardly take up very much room

shortleg0521
08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Decided to finally get some tools together and have them ready to throw in the saddlebag for the Rally next month. Had some extra tools laying around and just augmented them with some new ones as well for this kit. Maybe taking too much... but better to have it and not need it; rather than to need it and not have it :icon_wink: Not ever expecting having to use these tools on the F6B... but may come in handy for someone else whom is come across; stranded for lack of a tool :yes:

Probably the MOST important tool(s) in the kit below are the air compressor and the tire plugging kit. This is absolutely a MUST for a tubeless motorcycle. :shhh:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2m4f2pz.jpg

Metric assorted wrench set (18mm - 7mm)
Flat tip screwdrivers
Phillips screwdrivers
Needle nose pliers
Slip joint pliers
Wide mouth adjustable wrench
SAE Hex key combo tool
Metric Hex key combo tool
Torx Hex key combo tool
Jumper cables
Slime air compressor
Digital tire air gauge
Razor knife
Tire Plugging kit
Electrical tape
Electrical wire
Flashlight
Assorted Mini and ATA fuses

All weighs 10 pounds when said and done; in the bag

http://i65.tinypic.com/k80nt.jpg

What else may I have missed, that you would feel would be necessary for a travel tool bag?
My brother I think you have gotten it all, as far as not needing it you are probably right.
But the idea of being able to help another is where it,s at for all of us that ride.
shortleg

Greg O
08-21-2016, 03:17 PM
That's not a Harley your riding, its a Honda Goldwing, it would have to be a Harley to require that many tools. I have a Cruz metric tool kit, the small slime compressor, a Stop and Go tire plugging kit and a flash light

Includes:
•8" adjustable wrench
•Hex keys (3mm-6mm)
•6-in-1 screwdriver
•Gap gauge
•Locking pliers
•Electrical tape
•Cable ties
•Mechanics wire
•Thread locker
•Tire pressure gauge

and its all rolled up in a small nice tie roll and doesn't hardly take up very much room
+1 you bought a Honda, you don't need any of that. If you bought a Honda car would you carry all that stuff with you on a trip. LOL

willtill
08-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Includes:
•8" adjustable wrench
•Hex keys (3mm-6mm)
•6-in-1 screwdriver
•Gap gauge
•Locking pliers
•Electrical tape
•Cable ties
•Mechanics wire
•Thread locker
•Tire pressure gauge

Seadog, I've been looking at those "ready to go" motorcycle tool kits but.... think they are waaaay overpriced for what you get in them.

All of the tools (and bag) that I have listed in my original post cost me (approximately) no more than $100.00... and that was made possible by a sale today at Harbor Freight (I love Harbor Freight). :icon_wink:

The metric wrench set (in totality of sizes), the SAE and Torx Hex Hex combo wrenches, and the large mouth adjustable wrench are probably "overkill" on my own admission... but minimal in cost and adequate room for them in the tool bag

If I was a minimalist, I could replace all of the screwdrivers, razor knife, needle nose pliers, and the slip joint pliers with a leatherman combo tool. :shhh:

ShanghaiDan
08-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I put mine together, too:

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Portals/3/EasyDNNNews/thumbs/393/404cards16.png

$49 per year, covers me on any vehicle I ride or drive (even ones I rent or borrow). Really easy to pack, too... :)

willtill
08-21-2016, 03:49 PM
I put mine together, too:

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Portals/3/EasyDNNNews/thumbs/393/404cards16.png

$49 per year, covers me on any vehicle I ride or drive (even ones I rent or borrow). Really easy to pack, too... :)

I have that too. :icon_wink:

But I could plug a flat tire and be on my way quicker, or replace a blown fuse, or jump off a dead battery... than be sitting around waiting for a tow truck :icon_wink:

seadog
08-21-2016, 05:14 PM
I bought it on a sale $75 and change and it doesn't take up a lot of room Plus it only had the tools in it that you would need and nothing extra you don't need. 22861

willtill
08-21-2016, 05:26 PM
I bought it on a sale $75 and change and it doesn't take up a lot of room Plus it only had the tools in it that you would need and nothing extra you don't need. 22861

That seems to be an adequate tool kit for our F6B's. :yes:

Have you actually used the "Stop n Go" tire repair kit as of yet? I had one on other bikes (past and recently present) and carried it forever, but have always used the string plug kits (like the one pictured in my original post). When pushing in a plug, you really are going to want a good handle to assist you. The force required can be tremendous; excaperated by the fact that you are laying down next to the tire, and it can be tough to get a good approach while you are in a contorted prone position alongside the bike.

Earlier this year I emptied the CO2 canisters and ditched the kit. While the science behind the tool and plug is workable, it was more involved with trying to get their special plug loaded into the tool and inserted into the tread.... and less complication is more appreciated while you are addressing a tubeless flat motorcycle tire, while away from home base

Been there, done it. :icon_wink:

seadog
08-21-2016, 05:57 PM
That seems to be an adequate tool kit for our F6B's. :yes:

Have you actually used the "Stop n Go" tire repair kit as of yet? I had one on other bikes (past and recently present) and carried it forever, but have always used the string plug kits (like the one pictured in my original post). When pushing in a plug, you really are going to want a good handle to assist you. The force required can be tremendous; excaperated by the fact that you are laying down next to the tire, and it can be tough to get a good approach while you are in a contorted prone position alongside the bike.

Earlier this year I emptied the CO2 canisters and ditched the kit. While the science behind the tool and plug is workable, it was more involved with trying to get their special plug loaded into the tool and inserted into the tread.... and less complication is more appreciated while you are addressing a tubeless flat motorcycle tire, while away from home base

Been there, done it. :icon_wink:

On the car, and it was very easy to get the plug into the tire, and you must have a pair of pliers to tighten the plug back against the inside of the tire and something sharp to cut off the excess. Are you sure you have use that Stop and Go plug kit. Its as easy as anything out there for plugging a nail or small bolt hole. I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for the reason that if the hole in the tire is hard to find you can burn up all your canisters trying to find it. That why the small slime compressor comes into use to find the leak. Obviously the stop and go plug kit would be good for a sliced tire but of course most kits aren't.

willtill
08-21-2016, 06:07 PM
On the car, and it was very easy to get the plug into the tire, and you must have a pair of pliers to tighten the plug back against the inside of the tire and something sharp to cut off the excess. Are you sure you have use that Stop and Go plug kit. Its as easy as anything out there for plugging a nail or small bolt hole. I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for the reason that if the hole in the tire is hard to find you can burn up all your canisters trying to find it. That why the small slime compressor comes into use to find the leak. Obviously the stop and go plug kit would be good for a sliced tire but of course most kits aren't.

Your post above confuses me Seadog;

1. The canisters (CO2) are to air up the tire after you have plugged the hole; they are not to be used to find the hole.

2. You can't plug a sliced tire Seadog.

3. What are you drinking tonight? I want some :icon_lol: :039:

seadog
08-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Your post above confuses me Seadog;

1. The canisters (CO2) are to air up the tire after you have plugged the hole; they are not to be used to find the hole.

2. You can't plug a sliced tire Seadog.

3. What are you drinking tonight? I want some :icon_lol: :039:

If you don't have the air compressor and you just bought the Stop and Go tire plugging kit with the CO2 canisters and if you can't immediately find the air leak, how are you going to find it without burning up a few of the canister of CO2? What I said was I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for that reason and bought the small slime compressor to help find a leak that wasn't immediately obvious and yes if the slice isn't too long you can put enough in it to slow the air loss but if its a good size one you are definitely waiting for the wrecker to come and save you.
I didn't type that out right in thread #14 I meant to type that the Stop and Go Plugging kit wouldn't be good for plugging a slice in the tire.

willtill
08-22-2016, 09:00 AM
If you don't have the air compressor and you just bought the Stop and Go tire plugging kit with the CO2 canisters and if you can't immediately find the air leak, how are you going to find it without burning up a few of the canister of CO2? What I said was I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for that reason and bought the small slime compressor to help find a leak that wasn't immediately obvious and yes if the slice isn't too long you can put enough in it to slow the air loss but if its a good size one you are definitely waiting for the wrecker to come and save you.
I didn't type that out right in thread #14 I meant to type that the Stop and Go Plugging kit wouldn't be good for plugging a slice in the tire.

In my experience, I have seen the cause of the leak (foreign object embedded) in tire.

seadog
08-22-2016, 09:33 AM
I had a piece of glass work its way thru one of my tires on a 750 Honda I use to own and it gave me fits trying to find what was leaking. I didn't have an air compressor back then and filling the tire at the gas station revealed no instant location on the leak. I finally had to take the tire off and submerge it in water and even then it took time to locate it. Obviously a nail or a small screw or bolt is pretty easy to find but a small nail in a board that you ran over can be a challenge to locate. the small slime air compressor is definitely the way to go over CO2 canisters. At least you have a constant air supply to help locate the breach.

willtill
08-22-2016, 09:34 AM
I had a piece of glass work its way thru one of my tires on a 750 Honda I use to own and it gave me fits trying to find what was leaking. I didn't have an air compressor back then and filling the tire at the gas station revealed no instant location on the leak. I finally had to take the tire off and submerge it in water and even then it took time to locate it. Obviously a nail or a small screw or bolt is pretty easy to find but a small nail in a board that you ran over can be a challenge to locate. the small slime air compressor is definitely the way to go over CO2 canisters. At least you have a constant air supply to help locate the breach.

I agree. I never said that using CO2 canisters in that kit was a good thing. Why are we discussing that? :icon_lol:

I gotta get a roll of duct tape for my "tool kit"... :yes:

98valk
08-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks Will,
I appreciate you laying out the tools and listing them. It gives us a nice base line to either add to or subtract from. Good one! :yes:

seadog
08-22-2016, 11:27 AM
I agree. I never said that using CO2 canisters in that kit was a good thing. Why are we discussing that? :icon_lol:

I gotta get a roll of duct tape for my "tool kit"... :yes:

Don't forget the swiss army knife! lol

Buckeye_F6B
08-23-2016, 10:00 AM
I'll take a small toolkit and a first aid kit.

Buckeye_F6B
08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Is this what you were thinking of doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Zh6hk5tEA