PDA

View Full Version : New motors and chassis from HD for 2017

opas ride
08-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Harley is finally attempting to wake up to the 21st century and is introducing a new 107/114" motor for 2017...Also many changes to the suspension and forks are coming next year according to an article in CycleWorld and the internet...Better watch out for good deals on used HD's soon, if you care, as the market will be flooded with out-dated HD's as the "good ole boys" will be looking to update their "HOG" for the newer, supposedly faster motor...Who knows what evil lies in the heart of men!!!!!....Ride safe

stroguy
08-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Why would the typical pirate swap to some new fangled motor? Don't see many pirates that bought off on the Porsche HD. They'll stick with the rumbler.....it's cool, it's old fashioned.

BIGLRY
08-23-2016, 02:31 PM
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/motorcycles.html

http://motorbikewriter.com/2017-harley-davidson-107/

willtill
08-23-2016, 02:57 PM
In ALL ofl my years of motorcycling, I have NEVER ridden a Harley Davidson. I've sat on one several times at dealers but that's it... I just don't feel the attraction.

Is there something wrong with me? :shhh:

JGF6B
08-23-2016, 03:35 PM
In ALL ofl my years of motorcycling, I have NEVER ridden a Harley Davidson. I've sat on one several times at dealers but that's it... I just don't feel the attraction.

...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything (except ride a Harley Davidson).:icon_razz:

opas ride
08-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Why would the typical pirate swap to some new tangled motor? Don't see many pirates that bought off on the Porsche HD. They'll stick with the rumbler.....it's cool, it's old fashioned.
Cause the new motor still vibrates and rumbles like the older version according to the article, at riders requests...Up-date is to bring more compliance with the "Bullshit" EPA regs and to hopefully make the motor more reliable and durable over the next generations...!! The Porsche motor is a completely different concept with overhead cams and more modern gadgets!!!....I personally don't give a "rats ass" as like Willtill posted earlier, I have never ridden a later model HD and never intend too!!!....Ride safe

lake_carl
08-23-2016, 03:51 PM
The Harleys much like a corvette just have a feel and so many people look at you different
. Yes they not as fast and lack a bit or reliable status but in their own quirky way still fun for short rides. I have never owned a Harley, doubt if I ever will but they have a very unique sound and feel
I also think the f6b I own is likely the most boring motorcycle I have ever owned but perhaps I should act my age and just enjoy what the f6b is best about.... fair priced incredible reliable long lasting smooth ride

stroguy
08-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Yep Carl. The traditionalist doesn't want change. If they were into a new more reliable V they would have been riding Hondas or Yammys long ago.

seadog
08-23-2016, 06:05 PM
The Harleys much like a corvette just have a feel and so many people look at you different
. Yes they not as fast and lack a bit or reliable status but in their own quirky way still fun for short rides. I have never owned a Harley, doubt if I ever will but they have a very unique sound and feel
I also think the f6b I own is likely the most boring motorcycle I have ever owned but perhaps I should act my age and just enjoy what the f6b is best about.... fair priced incredible reliable long lasting smooth ride

I came from an M109R Suzuki Boulevard with loud pipes and next to nothing else save a windshield. I guess you could say it had good pickup and is slightly faster than the F6B and 100 pounds lighter. It shook continuously cause of the big pistons and you were totally worn out from riding after 300 miles. I don't know what your riding style is but the F6b is an exciting bike in the curves, smooth, fast, swift at take off to speed, I don't have to kick it down to pass just twist the throttle. If this isn't what your into then you bought the wrong ride. Probably that Harley or a corvette is more your style. I have had my F6B over a year and a half now and it still puts that big smile on my face when I light the wick on the piece of heaven! I'm not beat after 300 miles and am always looking for another twisty road on the way home.

bob109
08-23-2016, 06:21 PM

I had about a 5 mile ride on my cousins Anniversary Road King! I was never so glad to remove myself from a bike! Never again:shhh:

willtill
08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything (except ride a Harley Davidson).:icon_razz:

This is true. My lifetime experiences are not an absolute. :icon_wink:

lgjhn
08-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm........................no.

BIGLRY
08-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Is there something wrong with me? :shhh:Okay let me help you out, get the old lady's Hoover out of the closet, turn it on then throw some ball bearings on the floor and run the Hoover over them...the feeling in the Hoover's handle and the sound as the bearings go through he vacume will give you a good idea why you don't "feel the attraction" to a H-D. Next go to your laundry room put three pair of wet jeans on one side of the washer's tub, then turn on spin cycle, next try and set on the washer you will very fast realize why you don't own a H-D and why some women love them :icon_doh:

choptop
08-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I have owned (2) Harley's, a '85 Wide Glide and a '91 customized Fl w/a 127 ci engine and 5 speed. I loved both of them at the time and now I have a Black F6b and I love it. I still suffer at times w/Harleyitus, wanting the Vtwin look and rumble, but I love my 6.

Steve 0080
08-23-2016, 07:37 PM
You guys are killin me !!! I look at bikes like I do women. At least in my younger days I rode as many as I could, skinny, fat, short or tall, every bike did something the other did not and all of them were great! You guys need to open your minds ....Just sayin......

wantone
08-23-2016, 07:54 PM
I just got back from 7000 miles trip on my 16 Street Glide. I had the best riding experience. I had F6b last year that was totaled. Replaced that with 15 Indian chieftain which I traded in just 3 weeks. Chieftain has amazing mid range torque but did not like it. Took 16 Street Glide on a test and bought it. The only upgrade I have on SG is the Legends suspension. FYI I also had to upgrade front and rear suspension on my F6B. Google Traxxion and you will know how terrible factory suspension is on goldwing. No wonder so many folks swap it for Traxxion. Compared to Goldwing factory suspension, harley's was worst. What I don't like about Harley is the vibration at Idle. But when I'm moving, its really smooth. We were mostly doing 80 to 90 MPH all the way. And I did not feel uncomfortable at all. I was impressed how smooth it rode. Even after riding 700+ miles per day I was not tired.

This is my First Harley. And I have had close to 13 bikes in 4 years. And this is the most comfortable bike I've had. F6B was too big and bulky for my size. It was a fun bike, I still remember doing 70 MPH with my buddy who has a Bking on 35 MPH curves. And it was a blast. But on regular days I did not like it much. Changed the handlebars to Helibars, upgraded suspension, and seat but still was not comfortable on F6B.

Even though I ride harley, If someone asks me for any recommendation I suggest them checking out F6B. Just cuz It did not fit me better does not mean it's not a good bike. I think F6B is one of the best bikes out there. But not for everyone.

Steve 0080
08-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Variety is the spice of life...Short of that you are stuck in the missionary position! :yikes:

lake_carl
08-23-2016, 09:18 PM
I have owned more bikes than I can count. In 1988 think I had 12. Mostly crotch rockets and sport touring. Most current 4 cylinder 600 cc Japanese sport bikes are faster than the f6b and can double it's corner speed so I do not see why anyone would claim it to be fast. The f6b is a very smooth big Ole bike, handles really well for what it is and it's low tech engine will provide thousands of care free miles smooth and safely. Since I currently care to own one bike it seems to be a rather good compromise to get out and ride while often taking the wife in a comfortable ridr

AussieF6B
08-24-2016, 05:18 AM
Okay let me help you out, get the old lady's Hoover out of the closet, turn it on then throw some ball bearings on the floor and run the Hoover over them...the feeling in the Hoover's handle and the sound as the bearings go through he vacume will give you a good idea why you don't "feel the attraction" to a H-D. Next go to your laundry room put three pair of wet jeans on one side of the washer's tub, then turn on spin cycle, next try and set on the washer you will very fast realize why you don't own a H-D and why some women love them :icon_doh:

love it they need to make a bigger motor so they can keep up with the Honda LOL

AussieF6B
08-24-2016, 05:22 AM
what else can i say but

Brewdog
08-24-2016, 05:30 AM
I feel Harley failed again. Just my opinion. Let's see how they sell.

taxfree4
08-24-2016, 05:40 AM
So they're going to make a larger engine and NOT liquid cool it, yeah this will work. I dumped the 13' RG because it was a blow torch. Not everyone lives in the Midwest with open prairie to keep that bike at 60 mph + so the heat can escape, the reality is most bikers will hit traffic on a daily basis in some form or another. That's when Harleys turn a great ride into a miserable one, it takes the joy right out of the whole experience. I traded my RG in for the F6B and couldn't be happier. My 2013 Sportster has 147 miles on it and I have no plans of riding it, just waiting for someone dumb enough, like me, to purchase an air cooled bike living in an urban area just to dress up like a pirate.

willtill
08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Aargh! Shiver me timbers... :biker:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hgzek9.jpg

shortleg0521
08-24-2016, 07:01 AM

I have say I like the smile.
I owned a 2007 street glide that I rode many a mile across country.
The trips were good and bad, lie has been said all bikes are like women
all have something that we love about them.
But we know how much smooth and reliable is worth at the end of the day.22924

taxfree4
08-24-2016, 07:19 AM

That's what they think they look like and this is what it actually looks like to everyone else

bob109
08-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Harley has always sold a Persona/Image first and motorcycles second. What other motorcycle manufacturer do you know of that markets underwear with their name on it:icon_doh: Unlike their cycles, their "marketing ploy" is top rate/first class. The image is unmistakable! Elevated heeled boots, chained wallet folder, doo rag, vest with 1400 patches and a can of beer in their hand:shhh:

Old Ryder
08-24-2016, 08:01 AM
You guys are killin me !!! I look at bikes like I do women. At least in my younger days I rode as many as I could, skinny, fat, short or tall, every bike did something the other did not and all of them were great! You guys need to open your minds ....Just sayin......

BINGO!!!! We have a winner. All bikes are different. I have friends that ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to sit on my Harleys. Personally, I think that is the same Harley attitude in reverse---but hey--that's just me. I currently have an 06 Street Bob to go along with the B. It all depends on the mood I am in when I walk into the garage.

When it comes to bikes, I like a Harley much better than most of the people that ride em. Just sayin.............:tomatohit:

XHarley
08-24-2016, 12:10 PM
I just recently sold my 2009 Harley Road King Classic that was a great bike but I had owned it for a year and was ready to go back to another F6B and was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2016 Honda Goldwing F6BD in silver matte. Actually talked with an area dealer yesterday about starting the process of ordering one as he said that he now had some extra incentives from Honda and made me a really great price OTD.

We discussed why Honda may be adding extra incentives and whether they have a new 2017 Goldwing and F6B set to release with some major changes and he said that would be his guess. At the least he thinks that the F6B will get ABS brakes and even possibly a reverse gear. This sure clouds my decision to buy a new 2016 as I really would like both ABS and a reverse gear.

Other speculation is that he said that the F6B and the Valkyrie have been a real sales disappointment to Honda and they may even be discontinuing the models for 2017 and offering a full Goldwing that has a fully removable touring pack/rear passenger barcalounger and thus allowing someone to create a F6B or Valkyrie when the mood or riding requirements strikes them.

The possible 2017 Goldwing changes from Honda seem to shadow the just announced changes from Harley and make it a tough time for a new bike purchase decision. Last night I see the Harley announcement on their new 2017 engine and after doing some reading/research I have gotta say that this may just be one heck of an engine as it appears to be a modernized EVO engine with the single cam but with four valves per cylinder and an advanced head liquid cooling system. My local dealer will have some of the new Street Glide Specials, Road Glide Specials and Ultras on his floor this Saturday. He said that since this announcement the resale value on any twin cam bike is dropping like a rock at the auctions. Which means that if the new engine truly is the real deal there will be a ton of Harley riders wanting to have the latest and greatest and the value will truly drop on all of the Harley touring bikes out there.

Interesting times to be shopping for a new cruiser/touring big bike.

Ride safe

Xharley

MotoMike
08-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Went through my Harley phase and never looked back. When I was a youngster, I remember the likes of twin engine shovel drag bikes like "Sledgehammer" carpet bombing Lion's Dragstrip and the chill down my spine from the sound. Or lying in bed some late summer night night and hearing the blast of a built vtwin winding out in the distance. At 13 years old, I knew I would own one some day and no other brand would slake that thirst.
35 bikes later, I would own 3 different Harleys during my 'phase'. My favorite was my 67 FLHP shovel that I immediately dropped off at Micah Mcloskey in Canoga Park and had the engine and tranny built by one of the guys that built the Easy rider streamliner. It had a110 hp 96" S&S Sidewinder and the all Andrews gears tranny had a jockey shift with a rocker foot clutch. Paughco 1-1 strait fishtails allowed the blue flames somewhere to exit. It was a hoot doing 60 mile an hour rollons on the 405 against unsuspecting ricers. Brakes were wet dogturd stockers. Next one was an 05 FLSTSCI Springer Classic. Gorgeous bike, but didn't fit my needs. Traded that in on 08 FLHT LectraGlide standard. Spent way too much money trying to make that thing into the hotrod it would never be.
To be perfectly honest, I thought the Brembo ABS brakes were some of the best I've ever experienced. And it was also an all day comfort bike with the rubber mounted motor. But alas, I moved to the wide open spaces of the wild west and traded it in on two Brute Force 750 quads. HA! Best move I couldve made. Don't miss the Harley forced obsolescence on model years and their premium prices on their dogshit aftermarket offerings and oem parts. I still chuckle to myself when I see some guy twisting the guts out of his Thundersnort whatever racing header equipped 30k Screaming Chicken special up the on ramp at a blistering sounds-like-100-looks like 50 mph speed run. Nooooope! I'll take my industrial teutonic flat 6 Black Velvet, and someone else can deal with that schizzo bandaid plastered company's offerings.

VStarRider
08-24-2016, 01:00 PM
I have owned more bikes than I can count. In 1988 think I had 12. Mostly crotch rockets and sport touring. Most current 4 cylinder 600 cc Japanese sport bikes are faster than the f6b and can double it's corner speed so I do not see why anyone would claim it to be fast. The f6b is a very smooth big Ole bike, handles really well for what it is and it's low tech engine will provide thousands of care free miles smooth and safely. Since I currently care to own one bike it seems to be a rather good compromise to get out and ride while often taking the wife in a comfortable ridr

Is this really true? When a magazine tested a 2013 F6B, they reported a 3.3 second 0-60 mph time and a 11.-- 1/4 mile time...which is on par with a CBR900.

As for Harleys, I have never ridden one but wouldn't time trying one out. I like innovation, high-tech and efficient when it comes to motor vehicles...seems as though Harley is kinda hampered by their customer base by not wanting to get too far away from the "Harley" experience...which is based in 60s and 70s tech. Frankly, I want less vibration, less noise, and more comfort and will steer clear of any manufacturer that seems to be avoiding those things.

Circle-5
08-24-2016, 01:30 PM
The new Milwaukee Eight engine does nothing short of catapulting Harley Davidson from the 1960s directly into the 1980s. Impressive!

BIGLRY
08-24-2016, 02:08 PM
The new Milwaukee Eight engine does nothing short of catapulting Harley Davidson from the 1960s directly into the 1980s. Impressive!:lolup: :icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::biggthumpup:

stillridin
08-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Harley knows its core demographic and it's not me, or probably any other F6B rider. Where Harley faces its biggest future challenge in North America is the same as all the bike mfr's... where will the new generation(s) of riders come from? Millennials who are holding down two part-time minimum wage jobs to pay the rent bills ain't buying a new bike, let alone a Harley, either as a recreational vehicle or even commuter ride. Up here in ONterrible Canada, basic liability insurance on a used 250cc bike can run a new under-25 rider multiple $1000s/yr, and we only get MAYBE 6 months warm riding weather.

So Harley is putting in the technology it must to meet gov't regs and help it's customers not be quite as embarrassed when F6B riders quietly smoke past them in the curves or the straights. But they are preaching to the choir which is older and more gray each year.

Old Ryder
08-24-2016, 04:06 PM
BINGO!!!! We have a winner. All bikes are different. I have friends that ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to sit on my Harleys. Personally, I think that is the same Harley attitude in reverse---but hey--that's just me. I currently have an 06 Street Bob to go along with the B. It all depends on the mood I am in when I walk into the garage.

When it comes to bikes, I like a Harley much better than most of the people that ride em. Just sayin.............:tomatohit:

WOW! I just noticed my words and that did not come out right. What I meant to say was that I like the motorcycle more than the people that ride Harleys. Most can be real jerks. (Whew...............I needed to straighten that out) :shock:

unsub
08-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Okay let me help you out, get the old lady's Hoover out of the closet, turn it on then throw some ball bearings on the floor and run the Hoover over them...the feeling in the Hoover's handle and the sound as the bearings go through he vacume will give you a good idea why you don't "feel the attraction" to a H-D. Next go to your laundry room put three pair of wet jeans on one side of the washer's tub, then turn on spin cycle, next try and set on the washer you will very fast realize why you don't own a H-D and why some women love them :icon_doh:

BIG(bad)LRY:icon_wink:

I'll remember those demonstrations when I sell F6B's door to door.

AussieF6B
08-24-2016, 06:20 PM
I just recently sold my 2009 Harley Road King Classic that was a great bike but I had owned it for a year and was ready to go back to another F6B and was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2016 Honda Goldwing F6BD in silver matte. Actually talked with an area dealer yesterday about starting the process of ordering one as he said that he now had some extra incentives from Honda and made me a really great price OTD.

We discussed why Honda may be adding extra incentives and whether they have a new 2017 Goldwing and F6B set to release with some major changes and he said that would be his guess. At the least he thinks that the F6B will get ABS brakes and even possibly a reverse gear. This sure clouds my decision to buy a new 2016 as I really would like both ABS and a reverse gear.

Other speculation is that he said that the F6B and the Valkyrie have been a real sales disappointment to Honda and they may even be discontinuing the models for 2017 and offering a full Goldwing that has a fully removable touring pack/rear passenger barcalounger and thus allowing someone to create a F6B or Valkyrie when the mood or riding requirements strikes them.

Interesting times to be shopping for a new cruiser/touring big bike.

Ride safe

Xharley
the Aussie 2016 has Reverse ABS and cruise control as standard they need to put a centre stand on it as standard

stillridin
08-24-2016, 07:12 PM
the Aussie 2016 has Reverse ABS and cruise control as standard they need to put a centre stand on it as standard

In Canada in 2016 we get Cruise, Combined/ABS as "standard" (no reverse offered, even as an option... want reverse? Buy a Wing). To add to the confusion, the only Cdn 2015 F6B model was listed as "ABS" on the Honda Canada website but had the same standard features...

willtill
08-24-2016, 07:21 PM
The new Milwaukee Eight engine does nothing short of catapulting Harley Davidson from the 1960s directly into the 1980s. Impressive!

:lolup: :icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::biggthumpup:

THAT was Very good indeed. :icon_mrgreen: I snorted beer through my sinuses when I read that. Seriously. :icon_lol:

Blk6bgg6
08-24-2016, 07:38 PM
I've never owned a harley.when finally could afford a touring ride the f6b was choice cause of sport bike past and wife who loved the seat.However, I personally think street glide is coolest looking tourer out there.Wantone and Old rider good posts.I just can't stomach the harley riders who can't acknowledge other great bikes.like has been mentioned millenials just can't as a whole afford these bikes.Frankly smaller displacement midsized bikes will probably become more popular.

XHarley
08-24-2016, 08:47 PM

AussieF6B,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the curb weight is on your F6B and is yours a standard or a Deluxe?

The 2016 US standard model has a curb weight of 844 lbs wet and the Deluxe has a weight of 855 lbs wet.

Would be interested in seeing what the addition of the reverse unit and the ABS adds to the total weight.

And, I would gladly give up a center stand for ABS brakes. I like the linked brakes that the F6B has but ABS is a safety item that shouldn't be an option on a modern heavy touring machine. Traction control is also good and would be nice to also have on the F6B.

Thanks and ride safe,

XHarley

stillridin
08-24-2016, 10:45 PM
AussieF6B,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the curb weight is on your F6B and is yours a standard or a Deluxe?

The 2016 US standard model has a curb weight of 844 lbs wet and the Deluxe has a weight of 855 lbs wet.

Would be interested in seeing what the addition of the reverse unit and the ABS adds to the total weight.

And, I would gladly give up a center stand for ABS brakes. I like the linked brakes that the F6B has but ABS is a safety item that shouldn't be an option on a modern heavy touring machine. Traction control is also good and would be nice to also have on the F6B.

Thanks and ride safe,

XHarley

The Canadian version (ABS and Cruise standard) is stated as 851lb curb weight with fluids and full tank. The Aussie version is listed by Honda as 847lbs (385kg) kerb weight, no mention if that's dry or wet. Probably dry as the only major difference between the Cdn And Aussie version seems to be reverse, which must add at least 10 pounds.

But 10 pounds one way or the other won't make much difference for an 850lb bike. We've all lost that much after a hot day's work and a good sized dump. :yikes:

I doubt the F6B will ever see active traction (acceleration) control like the hyper-sport bikes have. ABS, OK... linked brakes, if Honda insists. The price of rear tires/installation is a better "traction control" than more electronics.

Bear in mind a Cdn Goldwing Airbag is listed at 919lbs wet... but also is the ABS version, presumably only missing the Airbag. So the published Honda numbers may not be all that accurate in absolute terms, just for comparison.

Steve 0080
08-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Honda is not big on telling the truth on a lot of issues. How many, what color, where they went, list price and weight to name a few...Vin numbers are

the best one to look at. They are 5 #1 Runes, many, many vins that match other than color...to funny

XHarley
08-25-2016, 10:06 AM
The Canadian version (ABS and Cruise standard) is stated as 851lb curb weight with fluids and full tank. The Aussie version is listed by Honda as 847lbs (385kg) kerb weight, no mention if that's dry or wet. Probably dry as the only major difference between the Cdn And Aussie version seems to be reverse, which must add at least 10 pounds.

But 10 pounds one way or the other won't make much difference for an 850lb bike. We've all lost that much after a hot day's work and a good sized dump. :yikes:

I doubt the F6B will ever see active traction (acceleration) control like the hyper-sport bikes have. ABS, OK... linked brakes, if Honda insists. The price of rear tires/installation is a better "traction control" than more electronics.

Bear in mind a Cdn Goldwing Airbag is listed at 919lbs wet... but also is the ABS version, presumably only missing the Airbag. So the published Honda numbers may not be all that accurate in absolute terms, just for comparison.

Stillridin,

Thanks for the information. It appears that the ABS will only add a small amount of weight and the F6B machine will probably never get the reverse gear as Honda is building these to a price point and probably doesn't want to pull potential customers/riders off their much more profitable full Goldwings by offering the lower cost F6B with all the goodies.

It would still be nice to see Honda offer a full wing with the ability to remove the rear trunk and huge passenger seating area as that way they get their extra profit and we get all the goodies plus the ability to convert back to a F6B look alike. I know that there are kits to remove the trunk but these are a more permanent move and not the convertible that I would be interested in buying. I really love the look of the F6B but have a unique and difficult to back in storage situation where I am on pea gravel and walking backwards is not easy.

Anyway, I think that Honda has something up their sleeve for 2017 on the Goldwings so we will wait and see.

Ride safe,

XHarley

Spanky
08-25-2016, 02:27 PM

willtill
08-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Very good. :icon_lol:

opas ride
08-25-2016, 03:03 PM

What about Victory and Indian?...Where do they fall on the chart....Both are really nice bikes and seem very reliable so far...I have had two and they were great bikes for V-twins....JMHO

XHarley
08-26-2016, 09:04 AM

That was good Spanky, especially the BMW riders.

I don't know what it is about BMW riders but they almost all seem to have an arrogance that would put any Harley rider to shame.

I can laugh at the pirated suited Harley riders but the BMW riders I just shake my head and walk away.

Ride safe

XHarley

VStarRider
08-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Is it common for a rider to wave or gesture towards you when you cross paths while out cruising? It is in this area...though...I have noticed that only about half of Harley riders acknowledge me on my "furrin" machine.

BIGLRY
08-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Is it common for a rider to wave or gesture towards you when you cross paths while out cruising? It is in this area...though...I have noticed that only about half of Harley riders acknowledge me on my "furrin" machine.Cause riding a H-D with one hand is very unsafe.:icon_doh::stirthepot:

VStarRider
08-26-2016, 06:47 PM
:crackup: :lolup:

Point taken....

53driver
08-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Is it common for a rider to wave or gesture towards you when you cross paths while out cruising? It is in this area...though...I have noticed that only about half of Harley riders acknowledge me on my "furrin" machine.

I do it all across the country. I always wave.
Been snubbed by all makes & models - and yes, I know they saw me.
I still wave.
I'm happy in my skin - they obviously have the issues.
Cheers,
Steve

F6Dave
08-27-2016, 09:13 AM
This isn't mine, I found it on another board...

To Wave or Not to Wave

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When I pass them on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets. God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys, I don't wave at them either Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

ADV67
08-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Well after 30 years of riding I bought one last year in sepember. I went to 2 HOG events, one was the largest here in Europe with over 10.000 bikes which is a lot here. I sold the Harley in June and bought the F6B. HD's and the whole community hype around them are just not my thing. I have several other bikes (mainly dirtbikes) in the garage which I love riding but I'll leave Harley out. Been there, got the T-shirt, took a good ride and that was it. .batman-smilie.

Not later than yesterday i stopped at a gasstation. Paid and bought some bottled water inside, we have over 100 degrees this week. Enjoying the airco inside, got out 10 mins later and there you have it, 4 Hell Angels with HD's standing around my 6 and looking. I open the trunk to stuff my water bottle.
"Smooooth!" comments one of the brothers. :icon_cool: They kinda liked the 6. Their bikes looked worn and pretty hardcore. We greeted and I drove off. "fireybat"

XHarley
08-27-2016, 11:09 AM
I do it all across the country. I always wave.
Been snubbed by all makes & models - and yes, I know they saw me.
I still wave.
I'm happy in my skin - they obviously have the issues.
Cheers,
Steve

:biggthumpup:

I agree with 53 Driver, I wave at all, even the scooters. We are all brothers of the knees in the breeze crowd so might as well be a good example.

Ride safe

X

XHarley
08-27-2016, 11:48 AM
To get back on the original topic I went to my local HD dealer yesterday to test ride one of the new 2017 touring bikes with the all new Milwaukee Eight engines.

The reason for this was that I am currently between bikes having sold my 2009 Harley Road King and replacing it with a 2015 Yamaha FJR1300ES that was a super bike but the footpeg position just didn't work for me (leg circulatory issues) so in the process of selling it and looking for a new two wheel ride and wanted to give Harley another chance.

I was now limiting my search to a motorcycle with foot placement either under and slightly forward like the Goldwing or F6B or the floor boards of the Harley that I had grown very use to and found to be comfortable.

Well, they rolled out the brand new 2017 Street Glide Special and off I went for about an eight mile circuit ride. Here is my analysis of the new Harley engine and bike.

The engine is certainly smoother than the prior twin cam motors at both idle and at running speeds. This is probably due to their adding a counter balance to the engine. The engine raps up a lot faster than the prior engines and the seat of the pants gauge is that it has more HP and torque and gets it to the back tire with ease. As a former F6B owner I can say that the new Harley might even be able to keep up with a F6B in acceleration and there will now be no reason for someone to spend a couple of grand on a brand new bike to get it to run better. It also seems to be a little cooler running but that was difficult to gauge as the outside air temp was approaching 100 degrees F yesterday mid afternoon but due to better oil passages in the heads it should be a little cooler running but it is still an air/oil cooled engine.

Those were the positives, now for the negatives.

The engine does not have the same feel as all prior Harleys and by this I mean the vibration cadence seems to be different and strange and this could be a real turn off for the die hard Harley fans. One of the service advisers said that it had a Japanese feel to it which is probably a good thing but could be bad for Harley if the diehards don't buy into it.

The exhaust sound is much louder than prior stock exhaust and to me it bordered on way too loud. This was a negative for me but for the dyed in the wool Harley rider it will probably be welcomed.

The new slipper clutch wasn't an improvement that I could tell any difference versus my prior Harley and it still clunks loudly going into first gear from neutral. They should have never gone to the hydraulic clutch as I preferred the cable system on the 2009-2013 touring bikes. Just something else to give trouble.

The Street Glide did not handle that well compared to my most recent ride, the FJR1300ES but than what does. I am also used to less hung weight on the front end with my old Road King and not used to the SG with its batwing fairing so to me it didn't handle as well as the old Road King. Harley claims they improved the suspension but I didn't feel it. The F6B has it and any Harley beat in the large bike handling department.

Overall it is probably an improvement over the prior twin cam engine especially if the cam chain tensioner and bad charging stator and weak lower end issues are now corrected. But, is it worth $24K+ for the non liquid cooled models and $27K+ for the Ultra Limited with cooled heads, not in my opinion. Harley has been losing sales to Indian and Victory and this new engine is their response to stop the loss and these changes may work but it is still a very hot running machine with less than desirable handling and a big price tag. The only real fix is a fully liquid cooled engine and they know that once they go that route they will have to compete head up with the Japanese bikes and they will loose that battle.

All in all, the F6B is back on the top of my list and waiting on a local dealer to call me back regarding a 2015 deluxe in silver that they have in inventory.

May be XXXHarley soon.

Ride safe,

X

opas ride
08-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Nice report on your experience with the (old, newer) HD and its motor...I am sure they are okay bikes, but "NO WAY" will they get my $24/25,000 for the damn things...Only crazy dedicated, and perhaps not wrapped so tight, HD riders would pop that kind of coin so they can become one of the herd!!!....Meanwhile I will ride and love my F6B for now and wait to see if the new/old Harley can out-run my F6B...I doubt it!!!....Ride safe.

VStarRider
08-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the update.

I have always wondered what the profit margin is on H-Ds. They get $20-30K for an air-cooled twin with some features, but otherwise a pretty basic bike. Not to mention, the aftermarket add-ons and clothing that has a high markup on it. Then, there is the service and maintenance.

unsub
08-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Have you ever had a wave withdrawn at the last second? I have twice, both times from HD riders. Funny as hell to see the approaching bike with arm ready to extend in brotherly love, only to be pulled back faster than a slip of the wrist on a table saw once they clued in the Honda wasn't what they were expecting.

:crackup:

53driver
08-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Have you ever had a wave withdrawn at the last second? I have twice, both times from HD riders. Funny as hell to see the approaching bike with arm ready to extend in brotherly love, only to be pulled back faster than a slip of the wrist on a table saw once they clued in the Honda wasn't what they were expecting.

Yes! And I laughed!

Jimmytee
08-27-2016, 05:51 PM

I've done it. :icon_lol:

Extend my arm out and then realize it just some yahoo on a moped/scooter.

Steve 0080
08-27-2016, 06:17 PM
I don't wave...out grew that years ago.....

opas ride
08-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Many years ago I would most generally wave to other riders if I noticed they were doing the same...Now there are so many bikes on the roads, around here anyway, that I pretty much have given it up..I rarely get a wave from the HD rider, as if I give a "shit," and on occasion will reciprocate a wave from a GW rider... Getting to old to really care what other riders do as I enjoy my rides when I can get away.....Regards and ride safe...

Jimmytee
08-27-2016, 07:09 PM
I get waves from Harley riders and everyone. You all must have some unfriendly people where you are at.:icon_wink:

xgringo
08-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I always wave and would rather be snubbed myself than snub someone else. Every now and then a pack of ten or twenty loudish cruisers will snub me and I keep the wave high over my head waving back in forth in all my high viz glory. I get a laugh out of it and always joke that I must be too preppy looking.

XHarley
08-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the update.

I have always wondered what the profit margin is on H-Ds. They get $20-30K for an air-cooled twin with some features, but otherwise a pretty basic bike. Not to mention, the aftermarket add-ons and clothing that has a high markup on it. Then, there is the service and maintenance.

VStarRider,

HD dealers have a 25% margin over their cost on the actual motorcycle which is high in my opinion.

I researched and found this out when I was interested in buying a 2016 Ultra Limited in vivid black. The MSRP on this bike is $26,399 plus freight and setup that can add another $1K and the actual dealer invoice cost from HD is $21,119 plus a freight charge of around $650.

I have been told that the clothing line and accessories pays for the cost to run the business and the overhead so the margin on the bike sales is almost all profit less the sales commission. There is probably more money hid away in dealer incentives and holdbacks that even the store's sales manager never sees.

If you have been to a HD dealer you will have noticed that most of the newer locations are very expensive structures with at least a third dedicated to their accessories lines. These dealerships are like going to a high priced retailer like Neiman Marcus. Someone has to pay for all of that glitz and overhead. Pretty expensive place to shop for a pirate...arrgh!

Ride safe

X

53driver
08-27-2016, 09:28 PM
I don't wave...out grew that years ago.....

You NEVER outgrow manners!

MotoMike
08-28-2016, 01:16 PM
The ol' start-to-wave-but-quickly-adjust-visor-instead move. Seen that a few times as well. Like someone else here mentioned, we are all Brothers Of The Wind, I wave to all, even the scooter and dual sport guys.

mikey
08-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Harley is finally attempting to wake up to the 21st century and is introducing a new 107/114" motor for 2017...Also many changes to the suspension and forks are coming next year according to an article in CycleWorld and the internet...Better watch out for good deals on used HD's soon, if you care, as the market will be flooded with out-dated HD's as the "good ole boys" will be looking to update their "HOG" for the newer, supposedly faster motor...Who knows what evil lies in the heart of men!!!!!....Ride safe

Wow- just wow.... I think along with the bigger engine should be a bigger name/acronym that h-d is so famous for. Hmmmm.... perhaps the "all new" FLUFFPUFFHUFFlimitedpatriotallamericanwolfheadwate rheadhideglidespecial CVOomgscreamineaglehead. Then they should offer a "performance upgrade" kit.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ whew! [I'm bored at work today] BTW, I still have very close friends that ride Harleys,we have a lot of good natured fun back & forth. Ride safe everyone!