PDA

View Full Version : Ape hangers

firetat2
08-24-2016, 11:17 AM
I've seen one photo Google search with a red F6B with ape hangers, I'm interested just wondering has anyone seen or tried this

thunder217
08-26-2016, 01:35 AM
I have seen them here in Maryland on a black F6B. The rider also had change the front wheel to a think a 21 inch wheel and the rear fender was removed because of the size of the front rim. It did look bad and he indicated that it was very comfortable. the rider was tall. LOL

taxfree4
08-26-2016, 03:50 AM
A good friend of mine put a pair of Paul Yaffe bars on his RG Ultra. These were not even that radical and when I saw them on the bike I said there's no way that can be comfortable. He assured me they were as comfortable as "When you drive a car." Sure enough, we took a ride, with him leading, and there he was dropping his arms and shaking them out. I know he would never admit to me, after spending all that $ since the bars had to be sent to Yaffe to snake the cables through, that he made a mistake.

Jimmytee
08-26-2016, 04:52 AM
I ride with a lot of people who have apes on their bikes. All of them claim they are comfortable. To me, I think it's more style over substance. I've not ridden with apes, but depending on the height, it would just seem not to be the best position for handling in the twisties. Also, one look and you can see that any wind protection the fairing would provide for the hands is compromised by using apes. Not a big issue in the summer, but in cold weather riding for sure. But hey, they look cool.:icon_cool:

willtill
08-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Now you KNOW someone was going to post this :icon_mrgreen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/a5imu.jpg

taxfree4
08-26-2016, 06:06 AM

Ridiculous, those Dyna guys were always a little farther out there.

stevenolts
08-26-2016, 06:24 AM
I had 12" Mini apes on my Fat Boy and they were perfect for me. They were way more comfortable than the F6B stock bars for me / I feel like I am reaching just slightly for the F6B stock bars. I still use the stock bars for 20000 miles so far on the F6B. It is all about ergonomics for the individual rider. I have tried my friends Heritage Classic with the real tall ape hangers and it really was not that bad. I have seen him shaking his hand before. I always thought that you would not have good control with bars that high no matter how comfortable they are. The 12" or 14" Mini Apes fit me perfect on the Harley and I still feel like I have total control / leverage.
Steve

Retired Army
08-26-2016, 07:37 AM

He can only ride for two blocks then all the blood is gone out of his arms.

Jimmytee
08-26-2016, 09:02 AM
I had 12" Mini apes on my Fat Boy and they were perfect for me. They were way more comfortable than the F6B stock bars for me / I feel like I am reaching just slightly for the F6B stock bars. I still use the stock bars for 20000 miles so far on the F6B. It is all about ergonomics for the individual rider. I have tried my friends Heritage Classic with the real tall ape hangers and it really was not that bad. I have seen him shaking his hand before. I always thought that you would not have good control with bars that high no matter how comfortable they are. The 12" or 14" Mini Apes fit me perfect on the Harley and I still feel like I have total control / leverage.
Steve
I couldn't deal with the stock bars on the B. I went to the Helibars and that has been Nirvana for me.

stevenolts
08-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Are the Helibars better for you because of the angle of the wrist or better reach etc...
Steve

Jimmytee
08-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Both, but I believe the wrist angle was the biggest issue I had with the stock bars. Didn't even really realize that was the big issue until having the Helibars and being able to change the grip angle. Would get a really painful neck and shoulder pain with the OEM bars after just an hour riding. Tried risers, didn't work for me. It was either the Helibars or face possibly selling g the bike shortly after buying it. Absolutely none of the described pain after the Helibars and I have been 15-16 hours in the saddle.:icon_wink:

firetat2
08-26-2016, 05:42 PM
A good friend of mine put a pair of Paul Yaffe bars on his RG Ultra. These were not even that radical and when I saw them on the bike I said there's no way that can be comfortable. He assured me they were as comfortable as "When you drive a car." Sure enough, we took a ride, with him leading, and there he was dropping his arms and shaking them out. I know he would never admit to me, after spending all that $ since the bars had to be sent to Yaffe to snake the cables through, that he made a mistake.

Ive had them on HD and they are comfortable Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center, just was wondering if anyone knew the guy that did it... who did it and maybe how much was the cost, of cours they look good as well, i have a garage in Illinois that does custom metric bikes and they said they were going to look into it for me, No info on pic from google search of who bike that was

98valk
08-26-2016, 08:00 PM
I Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center,

I have the helis. I wasn't real crazy about that bar being right there "in your face". But, when you want to mount something like a GPS or a TPMS dislplay, suddenly it is in just the right place. So, it's a trade off. In fact, the bar looks better with something mounted on it. :crackup:

Jimmytee
08-26-2016, 09:09 PM
I have the helis. I wasn't real crazy about that bar being right there "in your face". But, when you want to mount something like a GPS or a TPMS dislplay, suddenly it is in just the right place. So, it's a trade off. In fact, the bar looks better with something mounted on it. :crackup:

Not just that,but it also adds a whole lot to the rigidity of the front end feel. I have a cup holder on mine.

taxfree4
08-27-2016, 05:39 AM
Ive had them on HD and they are comfortable Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center, just was wondering if anyone knew the guy that did it... who did it and maybe how much was the cost, of cours they look good as well, i have a garage in Illinois that does custom metric bikes and they said they were going to look into it for me, No info on pic from google search of who bike that was

I don't doubt that they may be comfortable for a while, short rides, but anything of distance, and we just rode a small part of the Hawks Nest and he was shaking out on 12" bars, has got to start getting uncomfortable. It just goes against anatomy, our arms are not made to be above our shoulders for any extended length of time. Even driving in a car at the 10 -2 o'clock position only lasts so long, you eventually have to drop your arm/s and drive with them down low. There is no doubt they look great, I'm just more of a function over form guy.

bob109
08-27-2016, 06:30 AM
I don't doubt that they may be comfortable for a while, short rides, but anything of distance, and we just rode a small part of the Hawks Nest and he was shaking out on 12" bars, has got to start getting uncomfortable. It just goes against anatomy, our arms are not made to be above our shoulders for any extended length of time. Even driving in a car at the 10 -2 o'clock position only lasts so long, you eventually have to drop your arm/s and drive with them down low. There is no doubt they look great, I'm just more of a function over form guy.

+1 Gravity definitely plays on the blood! Numbness set in rather quickly and that isn't fun/comfortable:icon_frown: Regarding Hawk's Nest, weather permitting, I visit/ride there twice per week. There's a great little Deli in Barrysville where I usually stop for a good sandwich:shhh:

taxfree4
08-27-2016, 07:26 AM
+1 Gravity definitely plays on the blood! Numbness set in rather quickly and that isn't fun/comfortable:icon_frown: Regarding Hawk's Nest, weather permitting, I visit/ride there twice per week. There's a great little Deli in Barrysville where I usually stop for a good sandwich:shhh:

If it's the Carriage House I've been there, good eats.

bob109
08-27-2016, 07:48 AM
If it's the Carriage House I've been there, good eats.

Half a block from the Carriage House on the same side of 97.:039:

Retired Army
08-27-2016, 08:03 AM

Another advantage of the Heli Bars is some fork stability is gained by the connecting bar. The deciding factor is the price. I purchased mine during a Christmas sale and got a great price cut.

Nightwing_67
08-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Another advantage of the Heli Bars is some fork stability is gained by the connecting bar. The deciding factor is the price. I purchased mine during a Christmas sale and got a great price cut.

I love the Helibars. I tried tilting them forward and angling them for a semi "mini ape" handlebar look combined with a straight "racer bar" look...i liked it alot, until you turn the handlebars, it hits the windshield before you had the handlebars turn all the way left or right....so it would not be safe if you had to take a sharp turn or make a uturn...so after some adjustments i have the handlebars set. Its more comfortable than before, just not the look i was hoping for...comfort wins.😊 BTW is that a sticker of stripes over your speaker covers? If so, doesnt it muffle you sound?

Retired Army
08-27-2016, 12:12 PM
I love the Helibars. I tried tilting them forward and angling them for a semi "mini ape" handlebar look combined with a straight "racer bar" look...i liked it alot, until you turn the handlebars, it hits the windshield before you had the handlebars turn all the way left or right....so it would not be safe if you had to take a sharp turn or make a uturn...so after some adjustments i have the handlebars set. Its more comfortable than before, just not the look i was hoping for...comfort wins.Λ BTW is that a sticker of stripes over your speaker covers? If so, doesnt it muffle you sound?
No they are from Wing Bling and painted on.

Nightwing_67
08-27-2016, 08:15 PM
No they are from Wing Bling and painted on.
Sweet👍😎

taxfree4
08-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Half a block from the Carriage House on the same side of 97.:039:

I will definitely look for it next time around, thanks for the heads up.

2kewlgypsy
08-31-2016, 03:29 PM
So, have been saving up for the Helibars - though I really don't like the look of them, and have had the MLB risers (Narrow) on the bike a couple of times, and back to stock a couple of times, and was just about to do the drill out procedure that someone (Big Larry, maybe?) found where you drill the holes to 1/2 inch and pull the bars out while tightening down on the bolts, when I thought as a last ditch I remember someone putting the MLB risers on backwards - that is the L on the R and the R on the L
I figured I didn't have much to lose - and Oh My Word, I am in love with the bike all over again!!!!
Turned the handlebars more flat - that is no wrist bend, and up and out - and with my carved out seat (thanks Mean City Cycles) my hands are only a couple inches below my shoulder height.
Absolutely love my handlebars now!
The ONLY complaint I have is when I turn all the way, like to maneuver in the garage my handlebar actually hits the speaker housing dash piece - as I painted it to match, I'm going to be bummed when it leaves a mark - we will cross that bridge another time - in the meantime I love this $30 fix (bought the MLB risers off of eBay)
much respect,
2~kewl, Gypsy MC

53driver
08-31-2016, 03:48 PM
So, have been saving up for the Helibars - though I really don't like the look of them, and have had the MLB risers (Narrow) on the bike a couple of times, and back to stock a couple of times, and was just about to do the drill out procedure that someone (Big Larry, maybe?) found where you drill the holes to 1/2 inch and pull the bars out while tightening down on the bolts, when I thought as a last ditch I remember someone putting the MLB risers on backwards - that is the L on the R and the R on the L
I figured I didn't have much to lose - and Oh My Word, I am in love with the bike all over again!!!!
Turned the handlebars more flat - that is no wrist bend, and up and out - and with my carved out seat (thanks Mean City Cycles) my hands are only a couple inches below my shoulder height.
The ONLY complaint I have is when I turn all the way, like to maneuver in the garage my handlebar actually hits the speaker housing dash piece - as I painted it to match, I'm going to be bummed when it leaves a mark - we will cross that bridge another time - in the meantime I love this $30 fix (bought the MLB risers off of eBay)
much respect,
2~kewl, Gypsy MC

Sounds like a great idea! Pictures of end state??????

98valk
09-01-2016, 05:02 PM
much respect,
2~kewl, Gypsy MC

Could you drill out 1 hole on each riser to pull the bars back just enough to not mess up your new paint?

2kewlgypsy
09-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Not sure if I could drill out still, but maybe! I think by pulling them back in, you get the wrist angle again - and that is the part that I believe does in my back and neck.
Here is some shots that my wife just took - pardon the non riding gear - sitting in the garage, but you can get an idea of arm and wrist angles

I have no idea why they are upside down, or how to fix that, but they were upside down whether I picked attachments or insert images.
:banghead:

Jimmytee
09-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Not sure if I could drill out still, but maybe! I think by pulling them back in, you get the wrist angle again - and that is the part that I believe does in my back and neck.
Here is some shots that my wife just took - pardon the non riding gear - sitting in the garage, but you can get an idea of arm and wrist angles

I have no idea why they are upside down, or how to fix that, but they were upside down whether I picked attachments or insert images.

try turning over your computer

yellow rex
09-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Here you go and I like the red tape on the front wheel.
23143 23144

23145 23146

2kewlgypsy
09-06-2016, 10:31 AM
I still have no idea how my pictures got to be upside down - there should be a sticky maybe?
the wheels were easy - and took about 15 minutes - http://www.tapeworks.com/stripeitall/
did my wife's bike as well - both reflective tape - we look a little like tron running down the road.

Juris
09-12-2016, 09:32 PM
2kewlgypsie you look bad on your F6b.

jeffedose
09-25-2016, 10:13 PM

hello which Mbl risers did you use the wide or standard? thanks

Mike
09-26-2016, 12:02 AM
Here is an F6B with apes! :yes:

2kewlgypsy
09-26-2016, 06:44 AM
I used what I think they call narrow - the bottom mounting hole is inside the rest of the pattern. But when you turn them around so they are on the wrong side, the bottom bolt moves to outside the pattern, Hence the wider profile of the bars.

firetat2
09-28-2016, 10:12 PM
yes thats it but who did the work?????
Anyone bueller?????

Here is an F6B with apes! :yes:

Crazyhorse
09-29-2016, 06:29 AM
I thought the same as many others about the comfort of apes until about two years ago. Purchased a 2008 Road King that had 18" apes. Asked the owner if he had the stock bars, he did not. Took it home thinking I have to change these bar. After riding it and getting custom to the way it handle it turned out to be one of the most comfortable riding positions of any bike I've owned. Yes I have owner a few.

Bryster
09-29-2016, 06:48 AM

The sales pitch? - " You want to ride looking like you're raping a water buffalo? These are the bars for you!"

Circle-5
09-29-2016, 11:54 AM
A couple more photos of this stylish, well-hung gentleman: