PDA

View Full Version : First long trip on F6B

VStarRider
08-24-2016, 01:21 PM
A 730 mile run (long for me, not for most of you) over four days through New York State, from the rural suburbs of Rochester to my camp in Oswego County...through the Adirondack Mountains to Plattsburgh, NY, across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT.

I did 110 miles to camp, then 260 the next day to get to Plattsburgh. Surfed a cold front for the entire stretch, staying dry the whole day Sunday.

On my way home Tuesday, I rode up 4900 ft. tall Whiteface Mtn, the only mountain in the Adirondacks with vehicle access.

Took the scenic route through Lake Placid, then a variety of state highways home, covering 360 miles in total on Tuesday.

Nine thoughts after my first trip on the F6B:

1. I bought this bike over a Victory because I was a little tired of Vtwin vibration. Last year, my VStar grew very fatiguing on a similar trip. The six-cylinder Honda made for smooooooooooooooth all day travels with no vibration on the bars or pegs and a pleasant hum under and behind me. Great engine for a long haul.

2. The factory seat is excellent for long rides. I could go up to 100 miles without a break and not have butt problems.

3. Man, this bike eats up the sweeping curves. I purposely looked for curvy, twisty mountain roads in planning my trip. I kept going faster and faster in those turns, with the bike feeling more surefooted at 70 mph than 55.

4. Great highway power - though a 6th upshift would be nice - I did do a sixth shift, but was a result of the uncertainty of whether or not this 2013 transmission was truly in 5th gear.

5. Typically got 45 mpg, a little less heading into a stiff W wind yesterday.

6. Cruise control - not something I miss in the mostly short (under 100 miles) rides I take - was missed on this trip.

7. The Ram mount combined with the SiriusXM app - great tunes the whole way (mostly Yacht Rock radio).

8. Climbing Whiteface Mtn - effortless. Did it in 4th gear at 30 mph without any struggle. This bike seems to use only about 30% of its available power at any time - a seemingly bottomless reservoir of grunt is on tap for any situation.

9. Did some unintentional off-roading...let's just say the F6B is better suited for pavement :icon_cool:4369437022938

RTaz
08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
:yes: Thanks for the report ,I also am new to the f6b and haven't put alot of miles on yet. I hope to soon.

Sorcerer
08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
You were 60 miles shy of Minneapolis MN to Cincinnati that I do to see family. I run that in one day, I hate .having to pay for overnight hotels. Glad you had a fun trip. Ride on.

VStarRider
08-24-2016, 03:59 PM
You were 60 miles shy of Minneapolis MN to Cincinnati that I do to see family. I run that in one day, I hate .having to pay for overnight hotels. Glad you had a fun trip. Ride on.

Good God! 790 miles in one day?!?! Could / would never do it. Way too much time to maintain focus, hydration, etc.

stillridin
08-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Good God! 790 miles in one day?!?! Could / would never do it. Way too much time to maintain focus, hydration, etc.

I have a friend who rides from Hamilton Ontario to Denver Colorado (nearly 1,600 miles) and back at least once a year to visit her grandkids. Then she does a side-trip to British Columbia to see her other grandkids. Ya, grandkids, she'd in her mid-60's. Takes her 3 days one way to Denver, alone, including waiting for/taking the ferry across Lake Michigan.

Her current ride is a Yamaha V-Star 250. This is her 3rd Yama 250 cruiser, having worn out 2 already. She had a 650 V-Star for a couple years but her doctor told her it was too big, hard on her back, she being 90 lbs soaking wet and with osteoporosis.

One tough lady...

VStarRider
08-25-2016, 04:58 AM
More power to her...figuratively speaking.

Cobraguy
08-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Mrs Cobraguy and I just got back from our trip to Chilliwack BC Canada. She on the F6B me on the 02 Wing. Our longest day was just over 400miles. 17 days and rode at least 100miles very one of them. Love these machines.

valkmc
08-25-2016, 11:36 AM
A 730 mile run (long for me, not for most of you) over four days through New York State, from the rural suburbs of Rochester to my camp in Oswego County...through the Adirondack Mountains to Plattsburgh, NY, across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT.

I did 110 miles to camp, then 260 the next day to get to Plattsburgh. Surfed a cold front for the entire stretch, staying dry the whole day Sunday.

On my way home Tuesday, I rode up 4900 ft. tall Whiteface Mtn, the only mountain in the Adirondacks with vehicle access.

Took the scenic route through Lake Placid, then a variety of state highways home, covering 360 miles in total on Tuesday.

I envy you...I grew up on a family farm just outside of Oswego and rode many of those roads many times as a youngster. Beautiful country and great people. I just grew to hate it from Dec. to March.

VStarRider
08-25-2016, 05:42 PM
I envy you...I grew up on a family farm just outside of Oswego and rode many of those roads many times as a youngster. Beautiful country and great people. I just grew to hate it from Dec. to March.

No doubt. My camp is between Altmar and Redfield. Oswego Co. has some of the best county roads I have ever seen...well marked and nearly as well built as state highways.

I try to get a ride through the Adirondacks at least once per year. The riding and scenery is just awesome.

Dec. - March ... I ride my two snowmobiles. Great riding of a different type! After 7,000 miles on the bike, I usually get 2-3,000 miles on the sleds!