PDA

View Full Version : Sena 10 headset problems

Hodgey1
08-24-2016, 08:03 PM
We purchased Bell open face helmets that integrate the Sena 10 directly into the helmets. The idea was to go wireless instead of wired for communication.

So far we are having issues with terrible wind noise when in comm mode. I have pinpointed the wind noise coming from my wife's mic, I now have her cupping the mic while communicating which helps reduce wind noise but still not good. I posted this problem on another thread but went stale and someone pointed out that mic might be facing outward. When examining mic, it's open on both sides so I taped one side and faced it out and we still have same problem. As a side note Our F6B has the optional high windshield.

Any thoughts from users where I might be going wrong? We spent a pile and hoped for better performance, this is not good at all for the money we've invested and are frustrated.....

Steve 0080
08-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Did you or can you install a larger wind break? Wrong name, the black covering over the mike?

That should fix it or make it better. Foam thingy...

stroguy
08-24-2016, 08:17 PM
If possible swap mics. Try a face shield as well. Bell helmets do have snap on face shields. My buddy's Victory creates one hell of a low pressure spot on my back when I ride it solo. Maybe it is happening and wind is gathering from the rear. A face shield may pinpoint this. Have her try another helmet, closed face.

stroguy
08-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Another thought, do you know where the transducer is for the boom mic? Is it in the tip or in the receptacle where the boom fits the main assembly? If the transducer is in the main hub, there may be air slipping up the helmet past the hub and entering the boom to hub connection. Maybe some tape over the joint where the hub meets the boom. Or a scarf or muffler other neck wrap.

stroguy
08-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Just saw a pic of the 10, the mic hangs below the helmet neckline.

Canuck_Doug
08-24-2016, 08:29 PM
I also have a SMH10 headset, however I'm not experiencing the wind noise you have. I can travel at 70 mph an have a clear conversation. I too have the tall Honda windscreen. The only suggestion I can offer is to ensure the microphone is close to your mouth. I also read that the microphone is directional so rotate it 180 and try that. I believe there are larger foam covers.

shortleg0521
08-24-2016, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Canuck_Doug;132283]I also have a SMH10 headset, however I'm not experiencing the wind noise you have. I can travel at 70 mph an have a clear conversation. I too have the tall Honda windscreen. The only suggestion I can offer is to ensure the microphone is close to your mouth. I also read that the microphone is directional so rotate it 180 and try that. I believe there are larger foam covers.[/QUOTE
Also on this point, make sure the side of the mike with the pick up is pointed toward your mouth.
There is a projecting point on the mike to help you locate the pick up on the mike.
shortleg

r

Steve 0080
08-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Baker Hand Wings ??? This issue is with the pillion...

Hornblower
08-25-2016, 07:32 AM
I also have a SMH10 headset, however I'm not experiencing the wind noise you have. I can travel at 70 mph an have a clear conversation. I too have the tall Honda windscreen. The only suggestion I can offer is to ensure the microphone is close to your mouth. I also read that the microphone is directional so rotate it 180 and try that. I believe there are larger foam covers.

+1 on the directional part. If your mic is like the one on my 20S, there is a "fin" that needs to face to the front to insure the mic is turned in the right direction. Definitely, check that.

Graypictures
08-25-2016, 12:24 PM
We purchased Bell open face helmets that integrate the Sena 10 directly into the helmets. The idea was to go wireless instead of wired for communication.

So far we are having issues with terrible wind noise when in comm mode. I have pinpointed the wind noise coming from my wife's mic, I now have her cupping the mic while communicating which helps reduce wind noise but still not good. I posted this problem on another thread but went stale and someone pointed out that mic might be facing outward. When examining mic, it's open on both sides so I taped one side and faced it out and we still have same problem. As a side note Our F6B has the optional high windshield.

Any thoughts from users where I might be going wrong? We spent a pile and hoped for better performance, this is not good at all for the money we've invested and are frustrated.....

... with a face shield and have zero wind interference. Try fine tuning the VOX setting... and volume control... seemed to help a lot.

Hodgey1
08-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I will take some pictures of the helmet and Sena 10 set up and post them tomorrow.

Audiochris90
08-25-2016, 08:48 PM
I think its called a wind sock. my 20s came with a few. works well. Also after firmware update do a reset while powered on, should be a little pin hole on backside of com unit. I hade all kinda volume issues with tomtom and I phone. all instantly disappeared after reset.

Hodgey1
08-26-2016, 09:43 AM
I will take some pictures of the helmet and Sena 10 set up and post them tomorrow.

Have a look at the set-up in the pictures below.

Hodgey1
08-26-2016, 11:41 AM
I just looked on Sena's help forum and it seems riddled with wind noise complaints........... I hope I can rectify the issue because we bought the Bell Mag 9 helmets that integrate the Sena 10's. The main use I purchased them for is communication between my wife and I as we ride and right now they are worthless for that!:banghead: :icon_doh:

unsub
08-27-2016, 01:41 PM
You're missing a windsock for that mic for use with an open face helmet. Were is it?
It should look like this.

Hodgey1
08-27-2016, 02:14 PM
I took it off to take pictures to show the one side I put tape over.

Deer Slayer
08-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Did you or can you install a larger wind break? Wrong name, the black covering over the mike?

That should fix it or make it better. Foam thingy...

Wind pop ball. Ya'll have fun out West. Take care of Hornblower and each other. May try to hook up at Daytona.
Bill...

Hodgey1
08-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Are there any forum members successfuly using the Sena 10 as a drive-passenger communicator on the f6b?

I have a help ticket placed with Sena now, waiting for a response. As I mentioned earlier in this post, there seems to be a lot of people posting wind noise issue on the Sena site.

Travelor
08-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Are there any forum members successfuly using the Sena 10 as a drive-passenger communicator on the f6b?

I have a help ticket placed with Sena now, waiting for a response. As I mentioned earlier in this post, there seems to be a lot of people posting wind noise issue on the Sena site.

I have used them successfully for years. There is definitely wind noise with an open face helmet - don't know that it could be any different as the mike is out in the wind. That is why on longer trips we use full face helmets. by simply switching the power unit between helmets, But putting tape over the one side is not the answer. There is a common mode rejection amplifier that the mike is tied into - the idea is that a signal generated from both sides of the mike that is the same (wind noise) is automatically cancelled out, leaving only the voice signal from the one side to be amplified. May not work that well, but putting the tape on one side will not help.

Other than that, guess I don't have any good answers for you.

Hodgey1
08-29-2016, 07:03 PM
I have used them successfully for years. There is definitely wind noise with an open face helmet - don't know that it could be any different as the mike is out in the wind. That is why on longer trips we use full face helmets. by simply switching the power unit between helmets, But putting tape over the one side is not the answer. There is a common mode rejection amplifier that the mike is tied into - the idea is that a signal generated from both sides of the mike that is the same (wind noise) is automatically cancelled out, leaving only the voice signal from the one side to be amplified. May not work that well, but putting the tape on one side will not help.

Other than that, guess I don't have any good answers for you.
Thanks for your thoughts. I added the tape after experiencing the wind noise and was trying to resolve it. I will remove it since what you state makes sense. As far as the open face, then Bell needs their heads examined for selling the Bell Mag9 which was designed to integrated the Sena 10 directly into the helmet?

I've seen some post saying that firmware updates can help, that's where I'm heading next.

StonedInNy
08-29-2016, 07:57 PM
I also have been using the 10 for awhile. There should be a little clip on piece of plastic that goes on one side of the mic. The side that faces the wind. Then the foam sock goes over the mic. I still get some wind noise but people can hear me while on the phone. When I wear my full face all is good though.

tmac99
08-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Here are a couple of photos confirming what others have said. The first photo shows the standard setup "disassembled". Showing the microphone with the small fin (faces outwards, away from mouth), the plastic clip (that is the official way to do what you have done with your piece of tape) and the windsock. The second photo shows the plastic wind clip installed.
Having said all that, I have this set up and my wife and I have 2 (identical) full face helmets and we also have the issue you describe. From the front seat, I don't have much wind noise at all, people I talk to on the phone tell me that there is no (or negligible) wind noise. When I try to talk to my wife, I get a lot of wind noise in my headset as soon as I switch intercom. I have tired both the boom and non-boom miss (since we have full face helmets), and both setups had the same issue. The noise is worse at higher speeds.
I have never found a solution, so would love to hear from you if you ever find a fix.

StonedInNy
08-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Just asking but have you updated the units?

StonedInNy
08-30-2016, 11:22 AM
Just asking but have you updated the units?
Reason I ask they might have fixed that issue in a update.

Hodgey1
08-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Reason I ask they might have fixed that issue in a update.
I have updated the firmware today and have yet to test it. I will post my results.

Hodgey1
08-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Here are a couple of photos confirming what others have said. The first photo shows the standard setup "disassembled". Showing the microphone with the small fin (faces outwards, away from mouth), the plastic clip (that is the official way to do what you have done with your piece of tape) and the windsock. The second photo shows the plastic wind clip installed.
Having said all that, I have this set up and my wife and I have 2 (identical) full face helmets and we also have the issue you describe. From the front seat, I don't have much wind noise at all, people I talk to on the phone tell me that there is no (or negligible) wind noise. When I try to talk to my wife, I get a lot of wind noise in my headset as soon as I switch intercom. I have tired both the boom and non-boom miss (since we have full face helmets), and both setups had the same issue. The noise is worse at higher speeds.
I have never found a solution, so would love to hear from you if you ever find a fix.

Mine do not have the plastic clip on the mics

Hodgey1
09-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Update on Sena 10 issues. My wife and I are just getting back from a week long 1,100 mile trip on our F6B, using our Bell Mag 9 helmets with the built in Sena 10 . After seeing the photo's tmac99 posted showing that plastic clip over the micro phone, I got the box out that the pair of Sena's came in and in the bag that the allen wrench was in, was the clip shown in the photo. I attached the clip and then proceeded to do the firmware updates provided on the Sena web site.

The results were an improvement in that there was less wind noise, but..... Using them 7 days straight has taught us a few things as far as the wind problem. 1: The Mag 9 has a retractable clear shield, when its down and my wife has the mic bent upward, firmly placed behind the shield, there is almost no wind noise at all. 2: On days where it was very hot and she couldn't stand having the shield down, we would have to manually turn the intercom on and discuss what was needed and then shut them off, because there was an annoying amount of wind noise still there with the shield up. 3: The VOX option is worthless in the Mag 9 configuration due to the wind turning the intercom on intermittently and not shutting off.

I will continue to tweak and try to improve the operations of the Sena 10, but I would not recommend these to anyone, unless riding with a passenger with a full face helmet. As expensive as a helmet/intercom pairing as this marriage of Sena with Bell is, I would have expected something really well designed and functional. It's not the case in our experience and warn other to look else where. I now wish I'd had just bought the wired Honda intercom....... :banghead:

stevenolts
09-16-2016, 10:25 PM
(I know this is somewhat unrelated) I rode home the other night and with my shield up I got a phone call with my new Sena 20S I did not have time to put the shield back down. Even with the shield up total open air on the highway 80 mph and no wind sock over the microphone my friend said I sounded clear as if I was sitting in the living room. I never made any calls when I had the SMH10 so I can't compare. I just thought I would add my experience with the new Sena 20S.
Steve