View Full Version : Converted my F6B to the Darkside

willtill
08-26-2016, 02:42 PM
:shock:

http://i68.tinypic.com/21evpr5.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/hwzmhd.jpg

Not a whole lot of clearance under the right saddlebag... but it's enough:

http://i63.tinypic.com/m8lqg9.jpg

Now to get on with getting the tire off and down to the tire guy... we gots a car tire to mount up !!! :yes:

willtill
08-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Got the tires ready to go to the shop :yes:

http://i63.tinypic.com/5yww42.jpg

Here she awaits the new rear shoe:

http://i64.tinypic.com/3451opk.jpg

Hardest part of all this (so far) was trying to get the center stand deployed after the bike was resting on the right side engine/saddlebag guard(s), I had to use my Sear jack to help me lift the side stand a little, so I could pull out the center stand; in order to get the tire off of the ground.

willtill
08-26-2016, 02:43 PM
New tire now on wheel :yes:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2u4n4hf.jpg

Had to grind down the nipple that holds the plastic retainer for the OEM stem; since I am using Fobo T-valve stems for the Steel Mate TPMS system:

http://i68.tinypic.com/znkj1y.jpg

Now to reverse everything that I done earlier... to get the bike back up on it's shoes. :icon_wink:

willtill
08-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Got 'r dun! :yes:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ev6rfk.jpg

Baby gots a new rear shoe! :icon_cool:

http://i68.tinypic.com/jk8s1s.jpg

While on the side stand I am assuming that this is the normal appearance of a dark side tire mounted on the F6B, at 34psi?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ymg3th.jpg

zzh54
08-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Good Job.. I just did mine a few weeks back, the hardest thing to do was get my mind around laying it down. Now we know better.

Nightwing_67
08-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Good Job.. I just did mine a few weeks back, the hardest thing to do was get my mind around laying it down. Now we know better.
how does it ride? do you feel any difference?

shortleg0521
08-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Got the tires ready to go to the shop :yes:

http://i63.tinypic.com/5yww42.jpg

Here she awaits the new rear shoe:

http://i64.tinypic.com/3451opk.jpg

Hardest part of all this (so far) was trying to get the center stand deployed after the bike was resting on the right side engine/saddlebag guard(s), I had to use my Sear jack to help me lift the side stand a little, so I could pull out the center stand; in order to get the tire off of the ground.
Will explain to me how you got the centerstand down.
I have not been able to get that part to work. Have had to use the the standard method of removal.
shortleg

willtill
08-26-2016, 04:50 PM
how does it ride? do you feel any difference?

I just took it to the VFW (about 10 miles of some twisty roads). It feels a little different but not bad. A little more effort is required to execute a very sharp turn but it's not like OMG this is different. :icon_wink:

I think I am going to like it. I have 34psi in it at the moment... no signs of abrasion off of the tread and on the sidewalls.

I read in another thread on this forum when I was self educating myself about this alternative, is to take a digital temp (I have one of those H.F. temp guns) and scan the tread across to see if there are hotspots which would indicate not an optimum tire pressure (especially if under inflated).

So I will be doing that tomorrow, to help me find the "sweet spot" although 34psi seems to be working for me at the moment.

willtill
08-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Will explain to me how you got the centerstand down.
I have not been able to get that part to work. Have had to use the the standard method of removal.
shortleg

Ya.. that part was difficult. Once the bike is laid over, there are four main points of contact; the front right engine guard, the right rear saddle bag guard, and the front and rear wheel.

In order to extend the center stand, one has to basically "coax" that center stand to deploy while the seemingly full weight of the bike is resting on it.... You are basically lifting both wheels off of the ground during that little maneuver. :shock:

So I found the best way was to use my Sear's motorcycle jack and lift up the extended side stand with it (but you need to make sure the jack does not move away from the bike - even positioning the jack perpendicular to the bike will make it try to slide away) while you are lifting it up. But it works, the jack will lift the side stand and then you can simultaneously start grabbing the center stand and deploy it to the extended position; thus raising the rear tire (and front tire) from the ground.

SierraKen
08-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Ya.. that part was difficult. Once the bike is laid over, there are four main points of contact; the front right engine guard, the right rear saddle bag guard, and the front and rear wheel.

In order to extend the center stand, one has to basically "coax" that center stand to deploy while the seemingly full weight of the bike is resting on it.... You are basically lifting both wheels off of the ground during that little maneuver. :shock:

So I found the best way was to use my Sear's motorcycle jack and lift up the extended side stand with it (but you need to make sure the jack does not move away from the bike - even positioning the jack perpendicular to the bike will make it try to slide away) while you are lifting it up. But it works, the jack will lift the side stand and then you can simultaneously start grabbing the center stand and deploy it to the extended position; thus raising the rear tire (and front tire) from the ground.

Yesterday was my day to go Darkside. Layed the bike over and mounted a Bridgestone Driveguard. Not as strong as in my younger days (66 yo), I too used my Sears jack in place of my center stand to lift the rear tire of ground so I could remove the wheel and drop the new wheel onto the studs. Was actually pretty simple.

Between last nights ride and today's, I have approximately 125 miles over all sorts of roads and am enjoying the new tire. Rides smoother, handles well in all sorts of curves. I too noticed it takes alittle more effort to initiate a curve but after just a few miles I got use to it. I don't notice it now.

Currently running the Driveguard at 32 psi. Seems fine but will adjust as necessary.

MisterB
08-26-2016, 08:20 PM
A little more effort is required to execute a very sharp turn but it's not like OMG this is different. :icon_wink:

Yup. It's not that it CAN'T do it, but you just need to ask a little nicer.
I've only got 8k on my stock tires and my WIFE said something about "damn you need to do something about that rear tire!". I like to run it til they fall off but I've got some Orange TPMS to install and might as well go double dark sooner than later. CT and BAttleax on ST1300 is good for 20k or more depending on riding style, some folks run the rear CT up to 30k.
Shop that changed my ST1300 tires went out of business, I may have to play the "trike conversion" card elsewhere.

lgjhn
08-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Good job, Will.
I darksided mine the day before. I've not yet got to ride her since I put the new shoe on, but hopefully tomorrow, it will dry out enough around here where I can take her for a spin.
I'm fortunate enough to have a 1500 lb. table lift and full-blown tire machine in my shop so obviously my technique is of a more "classical" approach...LOL.
The sideways method is good to know when out on the road far away from the shop. At 65 years of age, I hope I don't ever have to do it that way, but ya never know.
Ride safe, my friend. :cheers:

seadog
08-27-2016, 12:27 PM

You turn your backside to the bike, you can even layback on the bike a little, with the kick stand swung out grab it and the center stand and using your legs lean back and pull up and swing the center stand out. It wasn't that hard and there is no big red S on my T-shirt either.

willtill
08-27-2016, 01:35 PM
You turn your backside to the bike, you can even layback on the bike a little, with the kick stand swung out grab it and the center stand and using your legs lean back and pull up and swing the center stand out. It wasn't that hard and there is no big red S on my T-shirt either.

Hmmm... I must've missed that memo :icon_doh: At any rate... it is done :icon_wink:

Steve 0080
08-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Hey Will what is the name brand tire you used? Try 32# then start up if necessary....steve

willtill
08-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Hey Will what is the name brand tire you used? Try 32# then start up if necessary....steve

Steve, it is a Michelin Primacy Alpine ZP 195/55 R 16 Run Flat.

I weigh roughly 240 and ride mostly solo. Was thinking that 34psi was a good start. But why do you say start at 32psi? What am I looking for, to start increasing the pressure in one pound increments? Wash out of the rear during a turn? Or something else?

pilotguy299
08-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Took long enough. Since what? May???

Now you just need to take a ride to like Ocean City and back.

Steve 0080
08-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Will, although your weight is a variable I don't think it is a major variable. I had the same tire and pulled a trailer, ( tongue weight ) ( me, 225 ) I say 32* because I had the Alpine wear in the middle and not on the outside, showing me it was over inflated. Remember the CT is designed to hold up a car and we are using about 1/4 of its ability! Read load limits and then figure you have maybe 500# on the rear tire.

Lower to 32# and try to forget there is a CT on your bike and just go ride. I truly believe with the Alpine if you did not look and no one told you...you would not know! Right now you are feeling every pebble in the road...it will go away and you will stop thinking about it! GREAT tire choice !!!!!

willtill
08-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Will, although your weight is a variable I don't think it is a major variable. I had the same tire and pulled a trailer, ( tongue weight ) ( me, 225 ) I say 32* because I had the Alpine wear in the middle and not on the outside, showing me it was over inflated. Remember the CT is designed to hold up a car and we are using about 1/4 of its ability! Read load limits and then figure you have maybe 500# on the rear tire.

Lower to 32# and try to forget there is a CT on your bike and just go ride. I truly believe with the Alpine if you did not look and no one told you...you would not know! Right now you are feeling every pebble in the road...it will go away and you will stop thinking about it! GREAT tire choice !!!!!

You know Steve, I have noticed that I am not scraping my pegs as much as I was, since I have mounted this Michellin car tire. Maybe that is a indicator of too much pressure @ 34psi? I will drop it to 32psi per yor suggestion and see how that goes. :icon_cool:

Thanks! :039:

Steve 0080
08-27-2016, 03:52 PM
My pleasure !!! Again, Great tire choice....

willtill
08-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Took long enough. Since what? May???

Now you just need to take a ride to like Ocean City and back.

It has been awhile, for sure. :icon_lol: I just didn't want to pull off the OEM M/C tire with so much rubber available on it. It seems to have a good 4K left on it at the moment.... and to compound my personal matters more; I have a Brand New black G/W wheel with a Brand New Bridgestone mounted on it. For a spare... in case I didn't like the Michelin car tire

What to do, what to do... wit it. :shrug:

wiggy
08-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Yesterday was my day to go Darkside. Layed the bike over and mounted a Bridgestone Driveguard. Not as strong as in my younger days (66 yo), I too used my Sears jack in place of my center stand to lift the rear tire of ground so I could remove the wheel and drop the new wheel onto the studs. Was actually pretty simple.

Between last nights ride and today's, I have approximately 125 miles over all sorts of roads and am enjoying the new tire. Rides smoother, handles well in all sorts of curves. I too noticed it takes alittle more effort to initiate a curve but after just a few miles I got use to it. I don't notice it now.

Currently running the Driveguard at 32 psi. Seems fine but will adjust as necessary.

Ken, I mounted the Driveguard a couple months back and have about 1800 miles on mine. I really like this tire. I would however recommend getting tire pressure monitors. I have the FOBO TPM on my bike. It sells for about a hundred bucks. It's just peace of mind but I want to know when my tires lose air. It's great having a runflat tire knowing I don't have to fix the tire right on the spot if I lose pressure.
If I can get 18-22k out of this tire, I'll be one happy camper considering I only paid about 106 at a local tire place called Flatso's. I'm running about 34 psi cold pressure in mine. As I ride, the tpms report up to a 4 or 5 psi increase.

SierraKen
08-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Ken, I mounted the Driveguard a couple months back and have about 1800 miles on mine. I really like this tire. I would however recommend getting tire pressure monitors. I have the FOBO TPM on my bike. It sells for about a hundred bucks. It's just peace of mind but I want to know when my tires lose air. It's great having a runflat tire knowing I don't have to fix the tire right on the spot if I lose pressure.
If I can get 18-22k out of this tire, I'll be one happy camper considering I only paid about 106 at a local tire place called Flatso's. I'm running about 34 psi cold pressure in mine. As I ride, the tpms report up to a 4 or 5 psi increase.

Was out again today on the bike and put the new tire thru some good twisties. Also loving the tire. Running currently at 32 psi and it seems fine. I also use the FOBO sensors which I had put on my old mOtorcycle tires. Ride safe and often!

willtill
09-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Now I have "officially" completed my Darkside conversion :icon_mrgreen:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ltiqm8.jpg

blackmetoc
10-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Good job, Will.
I darksided mine the day before. I've not yet got to ride her since I put the new shoe on, but hopefully tomorrow, it will dry out enough around here where I can take her for a spin.
I'm fortunate enough to have a 1500 lb. table lift and full-blown tire machine in my shop so obviously my technique is of a more "classical" approach...LOL.
The sideways method is good to know when out on the road far away from the shop. At 65 years of age, I hope I don't ever have to do it that way, but ya never know.
Ride safe, my friend. :cheers:

I have a nail in my back tire so I am going to go Darkside. I need to get a tire first.

willtill
10-19-2016, 07:11 PM
I have a nail in my back tire so I am going to go Darkside. I need to get a tire first.

If it's near the center line if the tire; plug it and keep rolling

blackmetoc
10-19-2016, 11:10 PM
If it's near the center line if the tire; plug it and keep rolling

Damned near dead center.

bob109
10-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Damned near dead center.

Plug and ride! If using a "string type plug" ensure your give the Insertion Tool 1/4 turn before pulling it out of the tire:icon_wink:

willtill
10-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Plug and ride! If using a "string type plug" ensure your give the Insertion Tool 1/4 turn before pulling it out of the tire:icon_wink:

:nono:

Not needed. No need to turn insertion tool when withdrawing.

blackmetoc
10-20-2016, 04:27 PM
The nail is flush so I need to figure how to grab it.

bob109
10-20-2016, 05:59 PM
The nail is flush so I need to figure how to grab it.

Heavy Needle Nose Pliers with serrated tip ends! Slightly open the plier ends and push the rubber down on both sides of the nail, squeeze tightly, pull and you'll extract the nail:icon_wink:

blackmetoc
10-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Heavy Needle Nose Pliers with serrated tip ends! Slightly open the plier ends and push the rubber down on both sides of the nail, squeeze tightly, pull and you'll extract the nail:icon_wink:

Sweet, I'll give it a shot. There is no head on the nail, so it will be a tough grab. I am headed out to get the magical tool set for air filter replacement. I'll get a plug as well.

mshneyer
07-06-2017, 04:26 PM
I like your technique. Thanks

olegoat345
01-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Don't know much about the dark side but I would think your tire pressure should be 40psi. or more, perhaps max PSI....... Seems like that would help to "round" the tread a bit and remove any "squirm" in the side wall. The "B" is not much weight for a car tire, it might out last you....................

Felloverboard
01-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Don't know much about the dark side but I would think your tire pressure should be 40psi. or more, perhaps max PSI....... Seems like that would help to "round" the tread a bit and remove any "squirm" in the side wall. The "B" is not much weight for a car tire, it might out last you....................

28--30 lbs air on a Driveguard RF has given me 28,000 miles on the tire with no slip or slide and the best traction I have had in any tire. The tire at those pressures with bend on the tread will still give more tread on the ground than any Moto tire. If you put 40 lbs in you would ride up on the edge of the tire instead of letting the tire bend and conform to the road/weight ratio. You do not want a car tire to be round, you want the tread to bend. Soft rubber on the outside, silica bands in the middle and you can put in a plug if needed. I ride out from Orlando, FL to the NC mountains and WV often. Handles great on the interstate and on the Dragon if you so desire. I prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway myself.

Cali261
03-22-2019, 06:42 PM
28--30 lbs air on a Driveguard RF has given me 28,000 miles on the tire with no slip or slide and the best traction I have had in any tire. The tire at those pressures with bend on the tread will still give more tread on the ground than any Moto tire. If you put 40 lbs in you would ride up on the edge of the tire instead of letting the tire bend and conform to the road/weight ratio. You do not want a car tire to be round, you want the tread to bend. Soft rubber on the outside, silica bands in the middle and you can put in a plug if needed. I ride out from Orlando, FL to the NC mountains and WV often. Handles great on the interstate and on the Dragon if you so desire. I prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway myself.

I have no dog in the fight, and no plans to switch over. Just providing this link for those that are curious about what may or may not be something to consider about making the transition. In other words: don’t kill the messenger....

https://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/

valkmc
03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Recycled article from July of 2012. Seen it on the internet many times usually used to defend mc tires only opinions.

f6bcarider
04-17-2019, 07:17 PM
I just went to the darkside and I really like it took about ten minutes to get used to the tire, it works well on the interstate highway

VaBob
04-18-2019, 06:44 AM
what tire did you go with if you dont mind me asking?

gadgeteer
04-18-2019, 09:21 AM
. . . I am headed out to get the magical tool set for air filter replacement.
What magical tool??

BIGLRY
04-18-2019, 11:20 AM
What magical tool??

https://pics.me.me/a-its-a-magical-tool-from-another-world-20998370.png
http://positivemagicallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wiccan-wand.jpg:D

Teree211
04-18-2020, 12:25 PM
What size tire did you run? Darkside for an F6B

willtill
08-29-2020, 11:49 AM
what size tire did you run? Darkside for an f6b