PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Rally Road Reports

Monk
08-29-2016, 07:11 AM
I know most of you coming to the Rally have never been to Arkansas and may not know anything about the best roads in the Ozarks. Also we have some construction going on right now, especially on one of our major routes in the mountains.

So with that in mind I would like to provide some helpful information. I hope it is allowable to post a link to another Forum? A Rider from Arkansas started a thread in May. It's purpose is to keep people up on places to avoid and roads to ride, etc.

I've edited this post to take out the link, since I found it can create some problems with some of our computers. So, I will be doing some copy and paste from the other Forum to provide you with the more important information. This may take a few posts by me to get this done, so be patient. :yes:

53driver
08-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Monk - pertinent logistics information that will affect our forum members / travelers is ALWAYS welcome!
The more factual information a person has often yields the best choices.

Thanks so much for the link.
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
08-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Ozark Tar snakes :no:

Monk
08-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Ozark Tar snakes :no:

100% agree!! :yes:

Avoid the southern section of highway 23 and you will be good!

To be more specific. The section between I-40 and the junction of highway 215. If you must go that way, when going north slow way down at the first sharp left then right hard curve, or you might end up in the woods. :shock:

Monk
08-29-2016, 12:41 PM
May 7, 2016
A lot of people plan a trip to the Ozarks this time of year. I wanted to start a thread here to help people plan their routes. The Ozarks of Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri are the closest twisties for a lot of people in mid-America and a favorite destination.

I rode AR 7 from Russellville to Jasper yesterday, (May 5, 2016). I recommend you avoid AR 7 this summer. It's not terrible, but there are many nice alternative routes you should enjoy. The pavement north of Dover to the Newton county line is not in good shape. There are two new areas where they are widening the road and adding passing lanes. There was one area where there was a Flagler and we had to wait about 5 minutes. The pavement is better in Newton county south of Jasper but there are a few sections with plentiful tar snakes.

AR 74 from Jasper to Ponca was in great shape and lots of fun. Bodley valley is still the prettiest place in Arkansas and should be on every siteseer's list when visiting. I didn't see the Elk heard yesterday but mid-afternoon is not prime viewing time.

AR 16 and 21 are also in great shape south to Clarksville and are a good route to use if you want to avoid the construction on AR 7.

I rode AR 23 (Pig Trail) north of Ozark a few weeks ago and there are tar snakes south of Turner Bend. I'm not talking about a few tar snakes, I mean they are awful. Be careful when the weather warms up.

Both 7 and 23 have been damaged from the record rainfalls the last couple of winters. There are places where the ground has slipped and created bumps in the road.

Don't let me scare you off. There are still plenty of great roads here in the Ozarks.

Everyone else feel free to add your comments about current conditions.

August 23, 2016

Avoid hwy 7 north of Dover on your way to the good roads in Mo!!!

I came south thru there yesterday on my way home. They are putting down asphalt in the construction area just south
of Pelser. What a mess my white bike is in. Also some fresh chip and seal in spots north of hwy 16, toward Deer, to about
the Cliff House.

Monk
08-29-2016, 12:51 PM
May 7, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
I'm hoping Monk will contribute. He's the real authority on this subject. He gets around a lot more than I do.
Thanks donniejoe for starting this thread. What a great idea!!

I would have to agree regarding highway 7 and 23. About three weeks ago I went to Harrison by way of highway 7 and got stopped three times by construction. But then on Sunday a couple of weeks ago did the whole thing with no trouble. I guess it all depends on if you feel lucky.

Don't get me started on the Tar snakes on highway 23. Somebody should lose their job over that. The absolute worst road treatment I have ever seen. It is no fun sliding around a curve. When it gets hot this summer, I will be real surprised if we don't hear about some accidents in that area.

Highway 16 from 23 over to 21 is in good shape. I really enjoyed that section today and enjoyed the southern part of 21 down to Clarksville.

Highway 109 between the Arkansas River and Scranton was chip and sealed a few weeks ago. It is better now, but use caution.

And watch for the big bump on highway 215 about one mile from 23 going toward Oark. I went over it today and it was better than a few weeks ago. So, they have worked on it some.

May 16, 2016

Ran 123 from Lamar to Pelsor yesterday. It was a delight. I forgot how much I love that road. Wish I would have had time to run it all the way to Western Grove.

June 3, 2016

Hey got a little route worked up for a run up to check out Push Mountain. It's been too long since I've been able to get up there.

Also included 254 in the route. I've not been on that one in a long time, but if memory serves it is a pretty good road. It is hard for me to include in a ride because of its location.

What do you think?

https://goo.gl/maps/Po9Z17wdiau

June 6, 2016

Ditto on the Pig Trail south of 215.....especially the NB side...it's bad.

Rode 123 last weekend.....there were a few places where dirt/rocks had washed out onto the road......didn't find anything thing mid turn, but there were a couple of places where the braking zone entering those corners had some gravel across the driving lane.

215 was clear, however the Canoeing season is firing up....lotta folks hauling canoes, so there were a few traffic back ups...also found a bit of mud at certain places from all of the quads running up and down the hillsides.

Push Mountain road was clear of any road hazards, aside from the road surface that could use a re-paving.

The most common roadway maladies?

Snakes and turtles.....a guy on a Tri-Glide a snake...it landed on the windshield of my wife's Can Am....

For those interested in doing/seeing something other than just knocking out miles.....Glory Hole Falls is flowing quite well....it is about a 1.5 mile walk back to the falls, but it's worth it.

July 14, 2016

I finally managed to make that run on Push Mountain. Went up yesterday using this route.
https://goo.gl/maps/o4kf48aSfsm

I did enjoy the entire length! It was nice to ride without having to watch for those big gravel areas!

I ran into a couple of riders at the service station in Big Flat from the St. Louis area. They were trying to find good twisty roads. So they went up with me to run Push Mountain. We had a blast!!

Monk
08-29-2016, 12:53 PM
July 31, 2016

I ran the Pig Trail north from Ozark to 16 then east to 7 then south to Russellville today. Temps were in the mid 80's, which isn't so bad for this time of year.

The tar snakes are nasty and thick about 5 miles south of Turner Bend. It's like riding on black snot. Take your time and don't let it suprise you and you'll be fine. I expect some bad crashes on them before the summer is over.

7 still has the construction zones but it didn't delay me a bit on a Sunday.

The person who is getting paid to clean the bathrooms at the Rotary Ann rest area should be arrested for stealing from the government. NASTY!

August 28, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
Has anyone taken Hwy 103 north of Clarksville? Looks like fun on the map.
That is one of the two ways to go up the Oark General Store for some of the best pie in the state.

Be sure to take 215 west on the way out for another very nice ride. If you take 215 and turn south on highway 23, be VERY careful of the tar snakes on the southern section of that road.

It would be best and more fun to take 23 north, then 16 east and 21 south back to Clarksville.

DonnieOnTheRoad
08-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Thanks Bob (Monk)

Looking forward to riding ALL those roads AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN as we have done together in the past.
NEVER GETS OLD !!!

Will be great to meet new riders and share that enjoyment.
Arkansas Roads ... Definitely one of if not the best curvy roads you will find in our great country in my opinion.

Can't Wait.

Donnie

Monk
08-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks Bob (Monk)

Looking forward to riding ALL those roads AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN as we have done together in the past.
NEVER GETS OLD !!!

Will be great to meet new riders and share that enjoyment.
Arkansas Roads ... Definitely one of if not the best curvy roads you will find in our great country in my opinion.

Can't Wait.

Donnie

You know getting here a couple of days early would be a real good thing. We could get the roads broke in for the Rally!! :icon_lol:

Monk
08-30-2016, 07:16 AM
After communicating with Tony(Phantom) regarding possibilities for Wednesday, I've worked up the following route.

https://goo.gl/maps/AGDm11naSM32

It includes lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper.

I remember seeing a discussion about the Cliff House Restaurant which is about six miles south of Jasper on highway 7. However, I would like to check the condition of the highway in that area before recommending that. They have just put down new chip and seal. It is hard to know what kind of shape it will be in by Rally time. I will make a point of looking that over before y'all arrive.

They have a beautiful view there, but the restaurant is not very big, so they may not be able to accommodate this large of a group? I will also check on that. If the restaurant size is a problem, I can show you a couple of places with good mountain vistas in the area for those that are interested.

The final decision on a restaurant choice can be made before pulling out on Wednesday morning.

Crazyhorse
08-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Monk,
What about hwy 64 out of Memphis. Thinking of taking it on the way over.

Monk
08-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Monk,
What about hwy 64 out of Memphis. Thinking of taking it on the way over.

Good choice! That is usually the way I go. I HATE I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock. It is big truck heaven!!!

At Bald Knob, highway 64 runs with the interstate down to Beebe, Arkansas before turning West for Conway. Be aware there is road construction between Beebe and the Vilonia Bypass. It is not real bad, but you could get stopped a couple of times.