PDA

View Full Version : New Gear for Safety and Comfort

stevenolts
08-31-2016, 07:35 AM
I just bought some excellent riding gear and wanted to share my experience with you. Maybe you can get the benefits without spending as much money as I did.
I don't want to hear that this gear is way too expensive because most of us are willing to spend $800.00+ on Helibars, new seat etc... What is your safety and comfort worth.

background:
I had an accident a few years ago that made me get more serious about safe riding gear. I also had a few co-workers that have had accidents which made me feel even more that I need to be prepared for the worst. I can't be riding down the highway in a t-shirt and jeans / shorts no matter how hot it is.

First let me say that safety should be number one above everything else. After saying this I was on a quest to get some riding gear that I would actually wear. After all if I don't wear the gear it can not protect me. I have been struggling to find gear that is both comfortable and safe.

When I first started this quest I tried Scorpion because I found it highly discounted (motorcylclegear.com). (I now use revzilla.com) I bought two leather jackets and a mesh jacket. All of these have rain / wind liners. I bought an Alpinestars jacket because it was so cool looking. (I was developing a leather fetish I think for a while)

I then decided to buy more functional riding gear. I bought the Tourmaster heated liner which is fantastic and will greatly extend your riding season to all year long if you want (why be cold ever / it is nor safe). I bought the tourmaster rain pants which are totally waterproof but very hot.

I then decided to get better quality gear so I tried Dainese. Over the years I have bought Dainese leather pants, textile pants, mesh pants and mesh jacket and each serves a purpose but does not provide rain protection. I had all the gear I would ever need so I thought. I then rode to Florida 800 + miles each way this spring for bike week. It rained on and off all the way to Florida (but nothing was going to stop me from riding my bike to bike week right) I had to take off my rain gear / put on my rain gear 50 times. This made me insane and pissed off and I got wet because by the time I got the rain gear back on I got soaked. I was caught in a bad place because it was too hot to wear the rain gear and raining too hard not to wear the rain gear.

Scorpion, Alpinestars, Tourmaster, and Dainese all make very nice gear that I could recommend before I bought the Klim grear

Quest for GoreTex
I started searching for a GoreTex jacket which we all know are very expensive. I could not really afford the gear but I kept researching anyway. I guess I have an obsessive personality once I start something I do not let it go. During my research I determined that I could not afford not to get the gear. I guess I found a way after reading about the comfort and protection the gear could provide to rationalize spending the big bucks to be safe and happy.

Klim
I found after researching exhaustively for a month or so that I could not live with out the Klim gear.

I bought the Jacket and pants and could not be happier with this riding gear. It provides the best overall package of protection, rain proof, comfort, and flexibility for different temperatures. Its flexibility is built in because Klim provides you a GoreTex (guaranteed for life) waterproof shell that has excellent venting and you provide your own layers as needed.

If you are interested you need to research Klim for yourself. I can say that I love my Klim riding gear and it is the most comfortable, versatile gear I have and I have way too much gear. I have ridden in 95 degree weather to work and back several times and while it is hot if you are stopped it is cool as you can get wearing gear on the highway.

Klim Overland Jacket $400.00

Klim Lattitude Pants $499.00

I know many of you will think that is too much to pay for ridding gear. I guess the bottom line is what is your safety, comfort and ridding experience worth. This gear has improved my ridding experience and I am very happy with it. It was about the price of Helibars (maybe a little more). Another benefit is now I have another saddle bag to use without all the extra gear I used to carry. What is that worth?

Steve

lloydmoore1
08-31-2016, 08:47 AM
thanks for the good info

I too have spent a bit on jackets, 3 since last year. 2 Joe Rocket and just last week I bought a Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket. The only reason I got the tourmaster jacket was because it was on sale for 125.00..too good of a deal to pass up.
The tourmaster is by far an excellent jacket. It looks like a bulky heavy warm jacket but it's not at all. I was very surprised at how comfortable the fit was. It is lighter than any of my other jackets and it has the best ventilation by far and the bonus is it's waterproof. I would highly recommend this jacket.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tourmaster+Transition+4+Jacket&safe=active&biw=1280&bih=878&tbm=isch&imgil=HDbHaqLGh6P_OM%253A%253Bt5nsbqEzA5P4VM%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.webbikeworld.com%25252 Fr4%25252Ftourmaster-transition-series-3-jacket%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=HDbHaqLGh6P_OM%253A%252Ct5nsbqEzA5P4VM%252C_&usg=__TvllE_XDb0DHN_VXpWZxnZrFPOo%3D&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwj7yJeO5evOAhWKlh4KHdl7DKIQyjcIhAE&ei=oN_GV_v4Goqtetn3sZAK#imgrc=HDbHaqLGh6P_OM%3A

RWS0292
08-31-2016, 11:12 AM
I just bought some excellent riding gear and wanted to share my experience with you. Maybe you can get the benefits without spending as much money as I did.
I don't want to hear that this gear is way too expensive because most of us are willing to spend $800.00+ on Helibars, new seat etc... What is your safety and comfort worth.

background:
I had an accident a few years ago that made me get more serious about safe riding gear. I also had a few co-workers that have had accidents which made me feel even more that I need to be prepared for the worst. I can't be riding down the highway in a t-shirt and jeans / shorts no matter how hot it is.

First let me say that safety should be number one above everything else. After saying this I was on a quest to get some riding gear that I would actually wear. After all if I don't wear the gear it can not protect me. I have been struggling to find gear that is both comfortable and safe.

When I first started this quest I tried Scorpion because I found it highly discounted (motorcylclegear.com). (I now use revzilla.com) I bought two leather jackets and a mesh jacket. All of these have rain / wind liners. I bought an Alpinestars jacket because it was so cool looking. (I was developing a leather fetish I think for a while)

I then decided to buy more functional riding gear. I bought the Tourmaster heated liner which is fantastic and will greatly extend your riding season to all year long if you want (why be cold ever / it is nor safe). I bought the tourmaster rain pants which are totally waterproof but very hot.

I then decided to get better quality gear so I tried Dainese. Over the years I have bought Dainese leather pants, textile pants, mesh pants and mesh jacket and each serves a purpose but does not provide rain protection. I had all the gear I would ever need so I thought. I then rode to Florida 800 + miles each way this spring for bike week. It rained on and off all the way to Florida (but nothing was going to stop me from riding my bike to bike week right) I had to take off my rain gear / put on my rain gear 50 times. This made me insane and pissed off and I got wet because by the time I got the rain gear back on I got soaked. I was caught in a bad place because it was too hot to wear the rain gear and raining too hard not to wear the rain gear.

Scorpion, Alpinestars, Tourmaster, and Dainese all make very nice gear that I could recommend before I bought the Klim grear

Quest for GoreTex
I started searching for a GoreTex jacket which we all know are very expensive. I could not really afford the gear but I kept researching anyway. I guess I have an obsessive personality once I start something I do not let it go. During my research I determined that I could not afford not to get the gear. I guess I found a way after reading about the comfort and protection the gear could provide to rationalize spending the big bucks to be safe and happy.

Klim
I found after researching exhaustively for a month or so that I could not live with out the Klim gear.

I bought the Jacket and pants and could not be happier with this riding gear. It provides the best overall package of protection, rain proof, comfort, and flexibility for different temperatures. Its flexibility is built in because Klim provides you a GoreTex (guaranteed for life) waterproof shell that has excellent venting and you provide your own layers as needed.

If you are interested you need to research Klim for yourself. I can say that I love my Klim riding gear and it is the most comfortable, versatile gear I have and I have way too much gear. I have ridden in 95 degree weather to work and back several times and while it is hot if you are stopped it is cool as you can get wearing gear on the highway.

Klim Overland Jacket $400.00

Klim Lattitude Pants $499.00

I know many of you will think that is too much to pay for ridding gear. I guess the bottom line is what is your safety, comfort and ridding experience worth. This gear has improved my ridding experience and I am very happy with it. It was about the price of Helibars (maybe a little more). Another benefit is now I have another saddle bag to use without all the extra gear I used to carry. What is that worth?

Steve

Steve,

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing this information. I have a BMW Airshell jacket that I love, but I have never found riding pants that really fit what I want (rain/comfort) and that allow me to slip them over a pair of dress pants so I can ride to work. I'll definitely check these items out.