PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank scuffing

Rayz
08-31-2016, 04:35 PM
Bought new Klim air pants and now my tank is scuffed. Is there anyone selling tank covers for theF6B?

Switchmonkey
08-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Bought new Klim air pants and now my tank is scuffed. Is there anyone selling tank covers for theF6B?

Jeezus, Mary, & Joseph... those are pricy pants. Expensive scuff.

willtill
08-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Make Klim pay for it. Gawd knows you probably put one of their kids through college, for the retail price of those pants. :shock:

:icon_mrgreen:

seadog
08-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Make Klim pay for it. Gawd knows you probably put one of their kids through college, for the retail price of those pants. :shock:

:icon_mrgreen:

On the Duluth Trading 5 pocket fire hose jeans for $59.50 and are probably more durable then those big money pants and they wouldn't have scuff his tank, since they are just heavy cotton.

willtill
08-31-2016, 05:59 PM
On the Duluth Trading 5 pocket fire hose jeans for $59.50 and are probably more durable then those big money pants and they wouldn't have scuff his tank, since they are just heavy cotton.

I do have a pair of Dragg'n Jeans (in black) but it have been contemplating those Duluth fire hose pants me self . :yes:

Not to hi-jack this thread (my apologies to the O.P.) I do understand from Stevenoltes other post about how he wants to have a "one design fits all" solution in protective clothing (and he may have found it for himself) but I'd get rather stinky wearing the same suit all of the time.... not to mention the accelerated wear of the same suit all of the time.

I think Wingstuff has gas tank adhesive "grippers" for the sides of the F6B's plastics that surround the gas tank.

JBnAZ
08-31-2016, 08:35 PM
Look up techspec tank grip pads on line. I installed a set that cover the sides and top of my tank under the gas fill. I also added them to the top of my saddle bags. I like to steer with my legs and often apply pressure on my tank and scuff my tank. These work great and add to the mean look, if you have the faster black color, as I do.

Get them placed correctly the first try, like with most stick on pads. Enjoy the pucker moment, right before you stick em on.

Pringle
08-31-2016, 09:52 PM
Look up techspec tank grip pads on line. I installed a set that cover the sides and top of my tank under the gas fill. I also added them to the top of my saddle bags. I like to steer with my legs and often apply pressure on my tank and scuff my tank. These work great and add to the mean look, if you have the faster black color, as I do.

Get them placed correctly the first try, like with most stick on pads. Enjoy the pucker moment, right before you stick em on.

I have those as well and like them as well. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techspec-c3-tank-pads-honda-goldwing-1800-2011-2015

MisterB
08-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Enjoy the pucker moment, right before you stick em on.
I've been putting screen protectors on my PDAs and such since about 1999 and only recently found an application tip that really had me wishing I could go back and do them all over. It'll probably work for these as well.
Get the sticker perfectly in place then tape one edge to device, (or motorcycle part), using the tape as a hinge, pull the other side of the sticker away, peel off protective coating and then swing it back into place. Remove tape.
I'm sure they're great as protectors but they also look great. Hmmm, wonder if I could swing paying for that out of the Vehicle Maintenance savings account?
Thanks for the info and links!

Me no speak good, video show gooder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPqDwVZzzM

miramiramira
08-31-2016, 10:36 PM

Both my Olympia waterproof pants and my aerostich pants leave black scuffing. tabkslapper film does an excellent job. I'll probably switch to the scotchguard option sometime this winter.

broncsrule21
08-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Got a pic of how they look on the black?

Sorcerer
08-31-2016, 11:07 PM
I just picked up a kit by Saddleman, it comes with 2 - 6"x12" clear panels. Supposed to be paint safe.

GNW
09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
I never hug the tank.
No problem here.
When I wear rain gear, I have Velcro straps around (1 on each leg) to stop the buffeting of the rain gear around the tank area. Not uncomfortable for me. But it is on my mind and I don't let it happen.

JBnAZ
09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
MisterB - good suggestion for application. The side tank panels are large and I used a similar technique. I've found, no matter how well prepared I am, and regardless of application technique, there's a moment of truth - point of no return, which always causes a little panic.

Bruce B
09-02-2016, 12:10 AM

+1 on the techspec pads. Work great and after well over 2 years in the northern California sun, they still look like new. I got the "Snake Skin".

Elroy
09-02-2016, 07:16 AM
Got a pic of how they look on the black?

I've got the techspec as well on my sides and top of gas tank. Look and work great! Instructions recommend quite a warm surface temp for proper adhesion. Adhere (no pun intended) to this recommendation or you'll kick yourself.

I'll take a pic of mine on my lunch break and post if I can remember to do so.

Audiochris90
09-02-2016, 08:10 AM
I just got the Revit airwave2 pants. I didn't even consider scraping up a tank. Is this issue specific to the klim or is it the heavy material in protective pants causes the problem. Ive only used jeans so far.

radi0chik
09-02-2016, 01:54 PM
tankslapper http://thetankslapper.biz/motorcycles/honda/
protects the paint looks like new and prevents chips etc as well...

unsub
09-02-2016, 02:58 PM

What I would try:

1st try polishing out the scuff, then try some sort of vinyl wrap that you could custom cut for that area.

Rayz
09-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this . I have ordered a pair of Triumph tank knee pads. Will see how they work out!

fxdl2051
09-25-2016, 12:46 PM
You could go to an auto shop and have them cut some 3m clear film or purchase a whole body kit from an on line supplier. It protects the paint from scratching, tho of course the film will scratch, but you can always replace that.

pdxstriper
09-30-2016, 12:40 PM
tankslapper http://thetankslapper.biz/motorcycles/honda/
protects the paint looks like new and prevents chips etc as well...

I looked at this and in sounds good. Which of the 4-5 "film types" did you choose?
Thanks,
Pete

DTOM
09-30-2016, 03:27 PM

Just curious, are the Duluth jeans extra long to cover boots when sitting on the bike? I'm tired of so called motorcycle pants (Bilt comes to mind) that are constantly inching up past my boots.

Cool Hand Luke
09-30-2016, 07:46 PM
I use these:

They are Honda Racing ones, link: http://www.motosport.com/honda-genuine-accessories-carbon-fiber-knee-pads

I think they make the bike look great , true carbon fiber and it actually says Honda Racing on them:

Dirtstiff's F6B
09-30-2016, 08:39 PM
You could go to an auto shop and have them cut some 3m clear film or purchase a whole body kit from an on line supplier. It protects the paint from scratching, tho of course the film will scratch, but you can always replace that.

I made some patterns of these with my laser cutter out of clear 3m protective material.
The shape and quality of the cut was great, but what I found is you need to use 3m's Premium clear sheeting.
I have a black bike and could see the sheeting on the tank, even though clear. I cut some out of the thin, high priced 3m ultra clear, but have not yet installed them.
J