PDA

View Full Version : Taking the bike to the dealer...for lightning repairs

MichaelG
09-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Today is the day that I need to take my bike into the dealer, for the Insurance Estimate of repairs that need to be done due to the lightning strike, and to leave the bike with them to have these repairs done. The bike is going to South Bound Honda, Lakewood, WA., which is owned by one of our forum members. There are closer Honda dealers to where I live...but NONE better. :icon_mrgreen:

Big Dawg
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Have them add a turbo while they have it.

Phantom
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Have them remove the string and Kite attached to the back :icon_mrgreen:

Deer Slayer
09-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Good one Phantom. Sparky keep the key. Good luck..

1951vbs
09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I am glad you have a competent dealer you trust. I'm sure nobody knows how much is affected just yet. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Retired Army
09-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Could there be a new paint job in the offing? :shock:

Steve 0080
09-17-2013, 11:25 PM
I picture a realistic picture of lighting bolts coming out of the sky !!!

1951vbs
09-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Lightning look paint jobs used to be pretty popular a few years ago. A little over done but it would be really be justified on Miles bike! Maybe a two tone, accent stripe or panels?

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I am going to have a local artist paint the new helmet, with some type of lightning images on it, but not overdone. I agree that it can easily be overdone, so it just needs to show the image, without going crazy, like...adding 31.4159 punds of chrome to your new bike, and then having to polish it everyday.

This is the local guy I will have do my helmet: http://www.screwydesigns.com/about.html

If I like what I see, I may have him do the entire bike, but...NOT with lightning scenes all over it. Maybe a Honda Titanium color paint, with muted Black Frost ghost flames on the front half.

Phantom
09-18-2013, 11:49 AM
If it were me .....

I would have the artist paint a drawing that looked 3D.

The image would look like a hole that you could see inside with the skin pulled back, skeleton shattered and the brain exposed with a little bit of smoke and a couple of tiny sparks coming out.

I know, I know, I know ...... I'm a sick puppy but I like 3D drawings.

BARRYS770
09-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Happy to see that you are able to ride. I thought that your equilibrium might be screwed up due to the ear drum damage.

Barry

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Happy to see that you are able to ride. I thought that your equilibrium might be screwed up due to the ear drum damage.

Barry

Thanks, Barry. I do know, and recognize that my brain is still not 100 % what it was before the lightning strike. I said that to my wife today, and her retort was, "well...even if you are only at 70 %, you are still more there than most people." My response was that I felt like I was at 75 %.

I feel it is important to self-recognize trhat I am not up to where I was...prior to meeting Hornblower...er...oops...I meant getting struck by lightning. :icon_mrgreen:

BARRYS770
09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Barry. I do know, and recognize that my brain is still not 100 % what it was before the lightning strike. I said that to my wife today, and her retort was, "well...even if you are only at 70 %, you are still more there than most people." My response was that I felt like I was at 75 %.

I feel it is important to self-recognize trhat I am not up to where I was...prior to meeting Hornblower...er...oops...I meant getting struck by lightning. :icon_mrgreen:

If the 25.314159% that you've lost is the negative stuff and you still have 74.685841% remaining that is the positive stuff in your life, you'll be good to go anywhere. Best wishes on your recovery.

Barry

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
If the 25.314159% that you've lost is the negative stuff and you still have 74.685841% remaining that is the positive stuff in your life, you'll be good to go anywhere. Best wishes on your recovery.

Barry

I like how you think, Barry. :icon_lol:

Hornblower
09-19-2013, 08:30 AM

What? :iduno: No, I'm quite sure it was the lightning strike that altered your ego, I mean IQ :icon_biggrin:

BTW, Miles, you had been thoughtful enough to ask about my brother earlier so seriously, thanks for that. For those interested, here's a quick update... his bike was considered totaled by the insurance company and so, he will be receiving a check for that. He has no plans to buy a replacement. After multiple trips to Urgent Care and ultimately the Wound Center, his leg injury is finally beginning to heal properly and we're all hoping he is out of the woods on that. He will likely have several more treatments to stay on top of this. He thanks you all for your prayers and concern and so do I.

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM
What? :iduno: No, I'm quite sure it was the lightning strike that altered your ego, I mean IQ :icon_biggrin:

BTW, Miles, you had been thoughtful enough to ask about my brother earlier so seriously, thanks for that. For those interested, here's a quick update... his bike was considered totaled by the insurance company and so, he will be receiving a check for that. He has no plans to buy a replacement. After multiple trips to Urgent Care and ultimately the Wound Center, his leg injury is finally beginning to heal properly and we're all hoping he is out of the woods on that. He will likely have several more treatments to stay on top of this. He thanks you all for your prayers and concern and so do I.

Ken, thank you for the update on Luther. Infections can be worse than the original injury.

I have no problem at all with Luther deciding not to buy another bike. That is his choice, and I respect him for making that difficult decision.

So...you mean to say...that I rode his "totaled" out bike up to the barn, and then got struck by lightning on my bike. Whew...Man...someone is trying to tell me something, but all I hear (with my ears blown out) is Big Dawg and Hornblower laughing at me.:icon_frown:

Thanks, Ken.

Hornblower
09-19-2013, 01:43 PM
So...you mean to say...that I rode his "totaled" out bike up to the barn, and then got struck by lightning on my bike. Whew...Man...someone is trying to tell me something, but all I hear (with my ears blown out) is Big Dawg and Hornblower laughing at me.:icon_frown:

Thanks, Ken.

The picture is still "etched" in my mind of seeing you ride off on my brother's totaled bike while looking back and saying, "I told you I could ride anything!".

I think I can speak for Big Dawg when I say we are laughing with you, not at you :icon_biggrin:.

hondabikepro
09-19-2013, 02:15 PM
I am going to have a local artist paint the new helmet, with some type of lightning images on it, but not overdone. I agree that it can easily be overdone, so it just needs to show the image, without going crazy, like...adding 31.4159 punds of chrome to your new bike, and then having to polish it everyday.

This is the local guy I will have do my helmet: http://www.screwydesigns.com/about.html

If I like what I see, I may have him do the entire bike, but...NOT with lightning scenes all over it. Maybe a Honda Titanium color paint, with muted Black Frost ghost flames on the front half.

screwy does all of are painting and does some cool paint jobs, he is going to paint my bushtec trailer to match my f6b.

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 03:36 PM
screwy does all of are painting and does some cool paint jobs, he is going to paint my bushtec trailer to match my f6b.

Thanks for the info, Dale. I have made contact with Scottie at Screwy, but I need to get over there and take my helmet to him.

1951vbs
09-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info, Dale. I have made contact with Scottie at Screwy, but I need to get over there and take my helmet to him.

This is kind of like the Darkside discussion, so do what you want but I have always heard that Helmet Companies frown on and advise not to paint their helmets because it can affect the integrity due to some sort of chemical reaction between the paint and the composite material. I have never seen any testing on this but I don't want to be the crash test dummy either.

MichaelG
09-20-2013, 11:05 PM
This is kind of like the Darkside discussion, so do what you want but I have always heard that Helmet Companies frown on and advise not to paint their helmets because it can affect the integrity due to some sort of chemical reaction between the paint and the composite material. I have never seen any testing on this but I don't want to be the crash test dummy either.

Mike, thanks for the info...however...this guy..Screwy, was the official helmet painter for Arai since 1989, and has painted over 7000 custom paint jobs on helmets for them. Most of the big name racers have had helmets done by him.

Mine is going to be very simple compared to those wild and crazy helmets we have all seen.

I guess...since I can cross the lines and buy...and mount...and try out a CT on my bike...then I suppose it won't be too much to have a customized helmet. :icon_wink:

1951vbs
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Mike, thanks for the info...however...this guy..Screwy, was the official helmet painter for Arai since 1989, and has painted over 7000 custom paint jobs on helmets for them. Most of the big name racers have had helmets done by him.

Mine is going to be very simple compared to those wild and crazy helmets we have all seen.

I guess...since I can cross the lines and buy...and mount...and try out a CT on my bike...then I suppose it won't be too much to have a customized helmet. :icon_wink:

Must be an ol wives tale like so many others. Besides if you can live through a lightning strike I have no doubt you are pretty much invincible! I am looking forward to your feedback on the CT. I was strongly considering it and then Ken Meese running a CT on a BMW 1600 had the rear end come around on him in heavy rain on the last day of this years Iron Butt Rally. Not sure if a cause has been determined but Hydroplaning was one guess. If true that might have happened with a MT as well.