PDA

View Full Version : Does it bother anybody else?

er.medic
09-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I was told today that the resale value on 2014 was only $10,700 :shock: And I read in another post on this forum that Honda is likely to halt production of the F6B starting in 2017 :icon_frown: Why doesn't anybody else seem to like our bikes? I know it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy with it, but when they stop making a particular bike, don't suppliers and other folks stop making accessories and such for those bikes? Is the F6B a misfit?

willtill
09-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Motorcycles are not an investment and are not to be considered part of your financial portfolio. :nono:

We had a recent discussion about that.

Spare parts will be around for the F6B for a very long time. Much is interchangeble with the GL1800

Do not lament about what rumors you here about the contnuince of the F6B even if they're factual. This bike is going to last many times of us for a very long time... If one chooses so. :icon_wink:

Sorcerer
09-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Mid July I paid $12,900 for a used 2014 with 7060 miles. My insurance Co paid out $11,600 + accessories on my my totaled 2013 with 35,000 miles. That was market rate here in MN. Kelly and NADI both listed a 2013 delouxe around $14,480 for retail. Trade in value at $10,500. Even if Honda discontinues the F6B, the cross over from the full GL1800 I beleave the after market venders will be around for a while. I bought my 1998 Valk in 2000 as a new hold over. As we know the last production year was 2002 and there are still venders out there supporting them almost 15 years after production stopped. Ya it sucks that they haven't kept there value. The 13$14 will be the least sought as the 15s came with CC. The F6B IS a nitch market as was the early Valks. As the saying gos "I got mine".

Cool Hand Luke
09-05-2016, 06:31 PM
I was told today that the resale value on 2014 was only $10,700 :shock: And I read in another post on this forum that Honda is likely to halt production of the F6B starting in 2017 :icon_frown: Why doesn't anybody else seem to like our bikes? I know it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy with it, but when they stop making a particular bike, don't suppliers and other folks stop making accessories and such for those bikes? Is the F6B a misfit?

The problem with F6B is that Goldwing guys like Goldwings, not F6B, due to extras. Heated seats, grips, reverse, cruise and more luggage space with passenger accomodations are all factors. Cruise guys like cruisers, which F6B is not. Sport touring bikes are lighter and have removable luggage.

So, F6B is not really in any one category in my opinion. It does many things well but this makes it a niche product.

However I think that as prices of used ones drop they will slow down over time. There will be people who appreciate this kind of a bike but could not afford the new price. I think many people will think this is a great value 4-5 years old for around ten grand, especially when new Goldwing is $25-30,000+.

It is similar with cars. Most cars loose their value around 50% in only 3-4 years! Just check out resale trade in value on any BMW that's 3-4 years old.

With the new 107 ci and 117 ci engines for 2017, predictions are that twin cam engined HD's prices will drop fast, too. Did you notice that HD is already laying off people?

I bought 1 year old Victory Cross Country last year with 1000 miles on it (not a missprint) for $10,500, when new ones are around $20,000. BTW, it's an awesome bike.

Also in 2001 I bought the then new 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom for $12,000, new was $22,000, with 3,000 miles on it. I sold it 8-9 years later with over 80,000 miles on it for $8,000. Still ran perfect and looked like new.

So, no need to worry about resale value now. If you sell it fairly new then you would expect to loose a lot in the process, relatively speaking. It also matters how good of a deal you get on a next bike you get. Keep it for several years, use it as much as you can, then get a great deal on a next bike and everything will be fine. Sell it too early with as little miles on it and you will feel bad about it. That's the case with pretty much everything.

stroguy
09-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Rune.........let them stop producing the B.........I have one.

Cool Hand Luke
09-05-2016, 07:09 PM
I can also add that Honda has missed the boat strategicaly wise with several of it's bikes lately, F6B included, which does affect the desirability and therefore resale value. In case of F6B, I think Honda should have offered the bike in 2013 with cruise control and reverse as standard equipment, at least in the US market. Cruise control came in 2 years later but it was the case of too little too late. I believe people would have bought F6B in larger numbers with these features even at the higher prices as F6B would still be cheaper than full on Goldwing. And the higher spec model should have had heated grips and heated seats for extra dough. Also the turn signals should have been left alone, meaning self cancelling for all models. Centerstand should have been standard, too.

On the accessory front Honda missed a great opportunity here. They should have offered a removable trunk option, maybe even 2 different sizes, a smaller one for a solo rider and bigger one for passenger. These should have been designed specifically for F6B and looked different than GW trunk, which in my opinion does not match the back of the bike at all. Offering these should have helped bridge the gap between F6B and GW so more GW guys would have possibly switched to GW. This would have possibly gotten some sport touring guys switch over as well, especially the ones that ride two up and want more room but are not quite ready for full on Wing.

I think that Honda itself didn't have a clear vision of F6B, it looks to me that they thought of F6B as watered down GW instead of a totally different platform. That's why Honda simply deleted certain features from GW for F6B and gave it a light restyling. I understand that saves money in manufacturing process, but what's the use if it does not translate in many sales? Poor choice for new product strategy and sales are reflecting that.

I also don't understand Honda's other motorcycles either, who are they for? I don't see their new product strategy working for new Valkyrie or many CTX bikes either. Their cruiser sales must be slow too. I think Honda's corporate thinking is way off. I am therefore very scared of what the new Goldwing might look like as well with this line of thinking. I like their quality but the excitement is going away rapidly.

On the other hand I really like new Indian development direction and I'm keeping an eye on Victory, too. Check out new Indian fairing bikes with 7" touch screen gps, bluetooth entertainment center. Where is Honda's technology? I had a GW with built in gps and it was awful, upgrades are sorely needed.

On the other hand, I still may pick up a lightly used new Valkyrie model when the price gets down to around six grand, which looks like it would be only in another year or two. I still don't care for it's looks but it must be a hoot to ride and reliable to boot. By then hopefully someone will come up with a nice looking fairing and bags for it (Corbin's are way too pricey!). I can just leave it in my mountain house and use it for curves! :icon_wink:

unsub
09-05-2016, 07:20 PM
I agree with most of Cool Hand Luke's narrative. Personally I think the F6B style is ahead of it's time and may grow a bigger following with lower used prices, then begin to appreciate in value when production stops. So, I think we're all in a good position with what is indisputably The Best Bike Ever.

As much as the Valkyrie is butt ugly IMO I'd jump at the chance to have a brand new $6000.00 GL1800 in my garage.

unsub
09-05-2016, 07:26 PM
I think Honda's corporate thinking is way off. I am therefore very scared of what the new Goldwing might look like as well with this line of thinking. I like their quality but the excitement is going away rapidly.

They're still recovering from the move back to Japan. They maybe still be living out of boxes.:icon_mrgreen:

opas ride
09-05-2016, 07:53 PM
An "insider", so he says, told me a while back, the F6B was introduced to unload hundreds of already built 1800 motors that Honda has/had on hand as they already have a different motor designed for future Goldwings...This also was applied to the Valkyrie which "bombed" out badly...I certainly love my F6B and intend to keep it for a while but after riding the new Indian Chieftain Dark Horse and the Victory Magnum, I might be tempted to go back to a V-twin...I have heard a lot of good reports on the new HD motor and suspension improvements so "who knows"....Honda has been "dropping the ball" lately for some reason in my opinion....Ride safe

Wing'n it
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Honda was targeting a different age group with the "B".... worked for me! I liked my 02 full Wing but felt like my dad riding it and all the "slightly" younger people asking me why i'm on an old mans bike. The Wing (and the B) are awesome bikes to cover some serious ground and see some sites.

VStarRider
09-05-2016, 08:21 PM
There are some excellent points in this thread, such as:

The problem with F6B is that Goldwing guys like Goldwings, not F6B, due to extras. Heated seats, grips, reverse, cruise and more luggage space with passenger accomodations are all factors. Cruise guys like cruisers, which F6B is not. Sport touring bikes are lighter and have removable luggage.

So, F6B is not really in any one category in my opinion. It does many things well but this makes it a niche product.

I have had the exact same thought. The F6B is quite a transition from a cruiser, which I think was the intended market. I appreciate Honda offering something completely different than just another bored-out twin model. That's why I bought it over the Victory CC Tour - the engine.

I gave up a lot of features on the Vic to get my hands on the flat-six and I have been happy with it. After a 700 miles trip on a Vtwin last summer, I knew I had to get a smoother bike. However, I still like the cruiser style. The F6B is really the only option available for people who are looking for that.

motozeke
09-05-2016, 10:21 PM
As a guy who bought his 2013 black Deluxe for not much off list, I really could care less about resale value or whether or not they're discontinuing the model. The one remaining change I haven't made that I'm likely to make is a suspension upgrade (widely available), whereafter I would intend to continue riding the bike until either it or me falls apart. Since I'm 51 now, it's even money on which one of us goes first. :icon_razz:

Bottom line is that this is an awesome bike that is near-perfect for me and my needs. When I move from the city to the Sierra foothills, I'll maintain a smaller second naked bike for summer day rides, since the weather protection is so flawless on my F6B that it just bakes in the summer. Otherwise, I'm grabbing the keys for the F6 every. Single. Time.

53driver
09-05-2016, 10:52 PM
As a guy who bought his 2013 black Deluxe for not much off list, I really could care less about resale value or whether or not they're discontinuing the model. The one remaining change I haven't made that I'm likely to make is a suspension upgrade (widely available), whereafter I would intend to continue riding the bike until either it or me falls apart. Since I'm 51 now, it's even money on which one of us goes first. :icon_razz:

Bottom line is that this is an awesome bike that is near-perfect for me and my needs. When I move from the city to the Sierra foothills, I'll maintain a smaller second naked bike for summer day rides, since the weather protection is so flawless on my F6B that it just bakes in the summer. Otherwise, I'm grabbing the keys for the F6 every. Single. Time.

Did you say naked?????

These girls are absolutely beautiful - inside and out!

Jimmytee
09-06-2016, 10:04 AM
As talked about in other posts, the rumors are that Honda is changing the Gold Wing for 2017. An F6B model just may not be a viable model with the new changes particularly if the sales figures just didn't support it. It's a shame ,but hopefully the new Wing won't be a disappointment. I have my F6B. Every time I'm out on it, I'm having a blast. Still enjoy my old school Valkyrie too and they were discontinued 13 years ago. Who k ow what may happen in the future.

Spanky
09-06-2016, 10:13 AM
I think they started wrong. They introduced at a unreasonable price point. Look at it from a consumers perspective:
list on 2013 $20,999 deluxe
Right next to it on the floor was a loaded gl1800 for $24k?
sure the B looks cool, but for 3k more i can get all the bells.

I purchased mine a year later for 16K and got a good deal in my mind.
a year after that, My wife bought a 13 for 13k which was also a good deal
( just sold hers after a year for 13K) with 5100 miles. so even.
in 2013 those bikes flew off the floor at 19K not at 21K
It's a exercise in economics.

Old Ryder
09-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Honda has always had strange marketing and pricing strategies.

I bought a new VTX 1800--and they quit making them and boy did I loose my shirt on that one. But I did not buy it to make a profit or resale---the problem was that all of the aftermarket folks quit producing stuff. The B doesn't bother me as most Wing stuff will fit and there is a ton of options out there for wings.

HOWEVER-----I have often said that a full wing does not excite me at all, but the B screamed at me from the other side of the showroom. Like the new Valkyrie, I think the appeal is to a smaller audience and there is not many of us out there. We love the big powerful bike--but without reverse not everybody can muscle these things around. Then you figure in the lace of CC and that turns off a bunch of folks, too. A sales person told me that the lack of bags and storage is what kills the Valk, so you add bags and you have a F6B with no fairing or tunes.

grendl
09-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Just adding my two cents to what has been said,most of it valid. But to answer no it does not bother me. It wouldn't bother me if the resale price of my baby dropped to 2 cents. I bought it from an emotional standpoint. It has a tried and true engine,and is beautiful in my opinion. I dont intend to sell it as long as I can ride it reliably(then it wouldnt be worth much-maybe I'll put it in the living room)
It has proven to be a good twisties bike for my skills and an excellent 'highway chile'. I have limited the accessories I have added to be functional with an eye to maybe later adding things which may make it more beautiful to my eye.
My F6B is all personal not business.
Did I mention I love this bike?

unsub
09-10-2016, 01:00 PM
The Honda US site shows the 2016 F6B listed under both Cruisers and Touring categories, while the Honda Canada site lists the F6B only under the Touring category now.

Is it possible that the consumer has defined the F6B as a better touring bike than a cruiser [we already know this] and Honda is at a crossroads as to what to do with what could be potentially 2 top tier touring models?

If we look way back to the original Goldwing the same thing happened. Honda introduced a sport road bike and the consumer drove it's metamorphosis into a top tier tourer.

Victory65
09-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Where I live F6B's are a niche market at best. The closest Honda dealer to me has only ever had one F6B and they still have it. Harley, Victory and Indian rule the roost in my area with a smattering of sport bikes and metric cruisers.

I'm not sure why the B has such small appeal. To me it's the cats meow and exactly what I want. Fortunately Honda came out with it and have demonstrated to their fans how good the GL platform can look.

lake_carl
09-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Does not bother me I boutique my 2013 mid July 2016 had 5300 miles for 12k with recent dealer check and oil change. Figured I would ride till spring if I liked it keep it till it dies if not sell it and if I loose 2 grand or so the fun worth that

VStarRider
09-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Where I live F6B's are a niche market at best. The closest Honda dealer to me has only ever had one F6B and they still have it. Harley, Victory and Indian rule the roost in my area with a smattering of sport bikes and metric cruisers.

I'm not sure why the B has such small appeal. To me it's the cats meow and exactly what I want. Fortunately Honda came out with it and have demonstrated to their fans how good the GL platform can look.

Same thing here, basically in upstate NY, which seems to have a lot in common with Michigan and other upper Midwest states.

Someone posted that these bikes drift in-between touring and cruisers, depending upon location.

I would place the F6B in the "touring" category myself, with the bags and tunes and fairing. Most tourers are optioned-up cruisers. Look at the Victory CC and CC Tour.

I think, as others have said, the F6B does not fit in any one category. It has not latched onto to any particular market. It has a full-touring motor, comparable with Honda's own full Wing and the BMW 1600. Yet, it looks like a cruiser. However, the seating position is of modified standard Japanese motorcycle nature, like the Gold Wing is. Yet, like the full Wing, it has sport bike origins. However, it has limited full-touring capacity and the stock windshield screams "cruiser".

I don't get what Honda was after with this bike. Cruiser? Cruiser tourer? Modified standard with bags and gobs of power? I dunno. I like what it offers, and so do all of the members of this forum, but obviously we are unique because Honda doesn't sell many of these bikes and I can see why. Not a well-thought out marketing strategy.

Jimmytee
09-10-2016, 06:11 PM

Harleys are big here too, like everywhere else.:icon_wink: The dealer I bought my F6B from though is a little dealer and he has sold bunches of them. All of them leftovers. He gets one in and it doesn't stay for maybe 2 weeks the most. Odd huh? Mine was the first he sold. They had just been open a few months and he had been waiting on the new 2014 F6B he had ordered. I called him, he is 2 miles from my house, and told him what deals I had found elsewhere. He called back in half an hour, told me he could have me one the next day and beat the best price I had found by $300. After that he cancelled the 2014 he had been waiting on and just started bringing in new 2013s. Those have become scarce so he statred bringing in 2014s and a couple of low mileage used ones. He sells everyone he brings in.One didn't even last a day.:icon_biggrin:

F6Dave
09-10-2016, 08:30 PM
As an owner of 2 of the original Valkyries, I've become used to buying niche motorcycles that Honda builds, then drops. The Valkyrie was reasonably popular when it hit the market in '96 as a '97 model. Then Honda decided to build loads of them, and ended up with a huge surplus. They had to sell those at deep discounts, and ended Valkyrie production in 2003. Sounds familiar!

I don't care anymore because I love the flat six platform. It's hard to beat its durability, ease of maintenance, smoothness, and power characteristics. Luckily, since my old Valks were based on the very popular GL1500 platform, there hasn't been a problem finding the few mechanical parts I've needed. I expect the F6B to be the same.

Other manufacturers sometimes build low volume niche bikes for years. Examples are the Kawasaki Concours (I owned one of the originals) and the Yamaha (Star) Venture Royale. I'm not sure why Honda can't do that.

Brewdog
09-11-2016, 06:56 AM
I was pulling in to a Harley Davidson dealer and a guy saw me ride up to with my wife. I had just got off my bike and he walked up to me with excitement in his eyes and said " are you trading that in?" Quickly I said no way, this is the best bike I've ever owned! He said, that bike looks like an airplane, I love it. I've had comments like futuristic, airplane, look at the controls, looks star wars. Pretty cool stuff.

stevenolts
09-11-2016, 08:23 AM
I love the bike and I feel like I got a great deal at $13600.00. It does not matter what the resale value is because even though I may buy another bike I will never sell my F6B. I have put 20,000 miles on it in 18 months and it is getting better all the time. I have ridden a lot of bikes and there is still nothing like it. Sure there are a few bikes I would like to own but if I had them they would probably be a second bike to the F6B. They would be fun to take a spin on now and again but most of the time I would choose my baby for any real ride.
Steve

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
I won't pretend to tell the future, but it would take a really good upgrade in the Gold Wing to make me worry about selling my F6B or trading it in. I really love my bike. Have it set up pretty well, and it puts smiles on me every time I ride her. I'm thinking of a new paint job and suspension upgrades are in my near future. The bike will just keep getting better I'm sure.

VStarRider
09-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I took a late evening 30 mile cruise along the Lake (Ontario) tonight after washing the bike. From time to time, I really take note of how smooth and refined it is. You need at least four cylinders to get that, IMO. There is a stretch of road that has manhole covers that is pretty quiet so I always practice my avoidance maneuvers there. For a 900 lb bike, it responds so quickly and gracefully to inputs ... it feels like it is "on your side" if that isn't too lame to put in a public forum. The closest bike I have had that glides like this one is my '82 Suzuki GS650, a bike half the size and weight. I learned to ride on that one - very smooth in its own right. I miss the days when four cylinder bikes were standard fare!

My 2006 Yamaha Apex snowmobile - with a version of the R1 motorcycle engine - was similar in its hefty, yet graceful, power, handling and ride combination on groomed trails.

On a side note, I have had many people look at the bike and say it looks like it belongs in a Batman movie.

Retired Army
09-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Lets set the record straight, my F6B came from the factory with Gold Wing right on the bike just above the ignition key. I would say that makes it a Gold Wing F6B. Honda has applied for a patent in japan to produce the Gold Wing with a leading link front end. It also sound like they will be sticking with the flat engine. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/honda-patent-reveals-leading-link-suspension-for-next-gold-wing-motorcyclist-magazine-concepts

luckyluciano
09-11-2016, 08:25 PM
I paid full list. I think for the look of the bike, it should of had a lot more features as previously mentioned in this thread. The original list price is just too expensive to not have the extra features. I don't think it would've caused Honda a lot more money to include the perks. They should've included everything, cruise control, heated seats and grips, reverse, GPS, and a power when the screen would be extra cool .
Having said that, if you keep this bike for 10 years it averages out to depreciate at $2 to $3000 a year, if you paid a list like I did.
It's worth it.

JMartin
09-11-2016, 09:48 PM
I've just begun looking at the F6B lately. I currently own a PC800 and an ST1100P, but there is a White/Matte 2016 sitting at my local dealership that has been calling out to me. I haven't discussed any price with them yet... in fact, I just threw my leg over it for the first time this past week. I will say though, it amazes me that there are so many very lightly used F6B's for sale that are $7,000 or $8,000 below the list price of the new one. My problem is that I only want the White/Matte color combo, and if I understand correctly, it just came out in 2016? So it may be a while before I see any used White editions on the market.

I just can't stomach paying anywhere near list for a new one, only to lose several thousand dollars just by putting a plate on it. Ugh. :icon_frown:

In the mean time, I'm going to hang out here on the F6B Riders Forum for a while and gain some insight into the bike.

pilotguy299
09-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Kinda bothers me a little. Especially since I paid just under msrp otd with a few extras.

Then I go for a ride and start picking up women instead.

ymmv

wantone
09-17-2016, 06:31 AM
The One thing that will make me buy f6b is Reverse. I'm 5'4 and this bike is very big for me to push back. Just bought a 2016 street glide and the first thing I did was add an reverse to it. It's motor trike reverse. If I decide in a year or two to jump on a new Milwaukee eight engine, the reverse can be removed and transferred to new bike. There's a bakers reverse kit for Harley but that goes into the tranny. So with bakers u basically have shift points as R-1-N-2-3-4-5-6.

unsub
09-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Essentially 2 up and 5 down? Seems like a logical place to put reverse, but I'd like to hear the experiences of someone that has that installed on a two wheeler . Would be very unusual to get used to I'd think. Especially going into reverse from neutral.

Bighutch14
09-17-2016, 06:07 PM
I've just begun looking at the F6B lately. I currently own a PC800 and an ST1100P, but there is a White/Matte 2016 sitting at my local dealership that has been calling out to me. I haven't discussed any price with them yet... in fact, I just threw my leg over it for the first time this past week. I will say though, it amazes me that there are so many very lightly used F6B's for sale that are $7,000 or $8,000 below the list price of the new one. My problem is that I only want the White/Matte color combo, and if I understand correctly, it just came out in 2016? So it may be a while before I see any used White editions on the market.

I just can't stomach paying anywhere near list for a new one, only to lose several thousand dollars just by putting a plate on it. Ugh. :icon_frown:

In the mean time, I'm going to hang out here on the F6B Riders Forum for a while and gain some insight into the bike.

You could find the best deal on any color and then get it painted white. You would probably still be ahead from buying a '16.

JMartin
09-17-2016, 07:41 PM
You could find the best deal on any color and then get it painted white. You would probably still be ahead from buying a '16.

I'm finding White 2016's for $16k and $17k out the door, so if I decide to go for it, I just have to convince my local dealer to make a local happy and not make me ride cross country to get my new bike.
Not that it would be such a bad thing. :icon_wink:

wantone
09-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Essentially 2 up and 5 down? Seems like a logical place to put reverse, but I'd like to hear the experiences of someone that has that installed on a two wheeler . Would be very unusual to get used to I'd think. Especially going into reverse from neutral.

This is the one I have on my 16 street glide :

https://youtu.be/CO9qBHqa7-k

unsub
09-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Well explained for what you've installed, thanks for posting.

fxdl2051
09-19-2016, 03:17 AM
Doesn't bother me, who wants to pull in for a burger with 50 other matching bikes in the parking lot? If that's what I wanted I would have kept the Harley. I've seen less than a dozen f6s in WA since I bought my '13, no one even knows what it is, but a lot of people ask about it. I kinda like it that way.

Miks
09-24-2016, 08:12 PM
I was recently at my Honda dealer, they have two unsold F6B's for 2016, along with a 2015 GoldWing and a 2016 Goldwing.

Personally, I think the F6B is one awesome bike! The power, handling, performance all are great, along with the styling. I left the multi-line Honda dealership, and went down the road to Harley Davidson, where they were selling bikes like you read about. Of course, the new 107 Cu In Milwaukee Eight is an engine that Honda should build, it is that close to a nice product. I then stopped by the Victory/Indian dealer, and again, bikes were moving off the showroom, things were exciting. Now..I have ridden the 2017 Indian Chieftain with the new Ride Command Touchscreen, and although nice, the engine is sort of a pooch off idle, but pulls pretty good. An F6B will leave it in the dust, I can assure you of that!

So...here is the problem at Honda. It is ran by accountants that keep new features from , being introduced, under the guise of cost savings of any development. I hate to admit it, but Harley has it figured out. They came out with the Rushmore project, EVERYONE that actually rides was trading in the old style Harley, for the new improved bike. Harley sold a TON of the Rushmore project bikes, the touch sceen was nice, bluetooth, throttle by wire has been with Harley for a long time, along with a $300 cruise control option.

What is lacking at Honda, is real product development we want! Honda can't sell the bikes, although they are priced at a discount to the competition, and it is because they build a boring motorcycle. For a technology company, I can't believe they don't have a touch screen, and that all come with ABS and traction control, as every modern bike should have. Bluetooth connectivity isn't my thing, but I know people like this, and the throttle by wire just works so well, integrates with the fuel mapping AND the cruise control is so much better!

Now that Harley has the new 107 cu in Milwaukee Eight, they have the riders excited and buying the product. They recently laid of 200 people at the plant in Pennsylvania that builds the new Milwaukee Eight, but that is because they built a ton of the bikes for the dealership network, and like to control the DEMAND by limiting production. I know this spring, Harley will sell every single bike they can build, ZERO discounts folks!

The Indian Ride Command Touchscreen was sort of cool, although I think it is obnoxiously too large and placed too high, the buyers are coming out in droves to buy the latest version of the bike. I have been told a lot of the Indian Roadmasters sold, were to people who traded in the Goldwing for one. Now, the Roadmasters are being traded in on the new touchscreen...because that is what everyone wants.

This is my theory on Honda, they are concentrating on the sub 500 cc bikes, and don't give a damn about the bikes that they could make the most money on if they knew anything about motorcycles and riders!

Jimmytee
09-25-2016, 08:22 AM
I was recently at my Honda dealer, they have two unsold F6B's for 2016, along with a 2015 GoldWing and a 2016 Goldwing.

Personally, I think the F6B is one awesome bike! The power, handling, performance all are great, along with the styling. I left the multi-line Honda dealership, and went down the road to Harley Davidson, where they were selling bikes like you read about. Of course, the new 107 Cu In Milwaukee Eight is an engine that Honda should build, it is that close to a nice product. I then stopped by the Victory/Indian dealer, and again, bikes were moving off the showroom, things were exciting. Now..I have ridden the 2017 Indian Chieftain with the new Ride Command Touchscreen, and although nice, the engine is sort of a pooch off idle, but pulls pretty good. An F6B will leave it in the dust, I can assure you of that!

So...here is the problem at Honda. It is ran by accountants that keep new features from , being introduced, under the guise of cost savings of any development. I hate to admit it, but Harley has it figured out. They came out with the Rushmore project, EVERYONE that actually rides was trading in the old style Harley, for the new improved bike. Harley sold a TON of the Rushmore project bikes, the touch sceen was nice, bluetooth, throttle by wire has been with Harley for a long time, along with a $300 cruise control option.

What is lacking at Honda, is real product development we want! Honda can't sell the bikes, although they are priced at a discount to the competition, and it is because they build a boring motorcycle. For a technology company, I can't believe they don't have a touch screen, and that all come with ABS and traction control, as every modern bike should have. Bluetooth connectivity isn't my thing, but I know people like this, and the throttle by wire just works so well, integrates with the fuel mapping AND the cruise control is so much better!

Now that Harley has the new 107 cu in Milwaukee Eight, they have the riders excited and buying the product. They recently laid of 200 people at the plant in Pennsylvania that builds the new Milwaukee Eight, but that is because they built a ton of the bikes for the dealership network, and like to control the DEMAND by limiting production. I know this spring, Harley will sell every single bike they can build, ZERO discounts folks!

The Indian Ride Command Touchscreen was sort of cool, although I think it is obnoxiously too large and placed too high, the buyers are coming out in droves to buy the latest version of the bike. I have been told a lot of the Indian Roadmasters sold, were to people who traded in the Goldwing for one. Now, the Roadmasters are being traded in on the new touchscreen...because that is what everyone wants.

This is my theory on Honda, they are concentrating on the sub 500 cc bikes, and don't give a damn about the bikes that they could make the most money on if they knew anything about motorcycles and riders!

You have to also consider that Harley is playing to a kept crowd. I ride with more Harley riders than anyone else on a regular basis. It wouldn't matter what Honda did, they're going to buy a Harley. Two of my riding buddies have 2016 Ultras. One is a Water cooled version. Both have had warranty issues already. My one buddy has been down on the side of the road with a faulty clutch issue. He's been pretty mad, and has vocalized buying a Honda as a replacement, but in the end he stays true to Harley.:icon_wink:

I'm a different breed. I appreciate the flat 6 power and durability. I love how this big bike handles in the twisties. I've added my own gadgets, mostly stereo related. I love this bike. I hope Honda reads and takes some clues from sites like this, but in the end , it's out of my control. I'm going to continue to ride my B like I stole it.:icon_biggrin:

stroguy
09-25-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm a different breed. I appreciate the flat 6 power and durability. I love how this big bike handles in the twisties. I've added my own gadgets, mostly stereo related. I love this bike. I hope Honda reads and takes some clues from sites like this, but in the end , it's out of my control. I'm going to continue to ride my B like I stole it.

Pretty much dead on for me as well after this last week in AR. Charlie and myself did the AR123 to Mount Judea Friday. On the way to MJ we were passed by a few crazy beemer mountain bikes that the B just could never hang with on that road. On the return I pressed the B harder than the venture in. I eventually caught one of the 408 HD variants. I didn't want to press the HD, I wanted him to enjoy the ride, so I didn't ride him hard. The pace he set was fine with my. But it was instantly apparent that the B would smoke this HD in any condition on that road. I could out accelerate him, out turn him, out scrape him. I am only an average rider of the B after seeing some of our better drivers last week. But those 3 days made it abundtly clear that me and others made the right decision over any HD. The HD give a good show but the B gives you show and GO!

Switchmonkey
09-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Say what you may about the 6.

Mine is the one that attracts the gawkers, the inquirers, the batman fans... when parked with the HD, and other brand guys I ride with. There is not a bike in the crowd that I cannot hang with or outrun, except for my own XDiavel, but I can't ride both at the same time, so moot point. I paid list because I wanted the bike I now own, and I wanted it now. I know what the bike has been through, and I know how it is ridden. There is not a 'gently used' bike out there that has been gently used imo. For me, I will accept the resale value because it will still be in my inventory long to come.