PDA

View Full Version : What type of Mount to mount a Samsung Note 5

Greg O
09-10-2016, 12:05 PM
What type of Mount do I need to mount a Samsung Note 5 to the left handle bar. I also need to extend the 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug, so I need a female / male extension cord, where can I buy one 18 " long.

Vondawg
09-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Fire and explosion proof ?:jerkit:

Greg O
09-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Fire and explosion proof ?:jerkit:

That's the Note 7 that explodes, I have the 5, no problems as of yet.

nvmyf6
09-10-2016, 05:47 PM
What type of Mount do I need to mount a Samsung Note 5 to the left handle bar. I also need to extend the 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug, so I need a female / male extension cord, where can I buy one 18 " long.

I have this set-up

I modified the grip arms on one side slightly, so I was able to slide in my Note 4, with the defender otterbox case.
In the picture, you can see one side of the arms are taller. Gave me the wider grip I needed.

And for the ear phone plug extender, I went to Radio Shack. I also bought 2 , 90 degree adapter, to get the extension down the back side of the phone.

Greg O
09-10-2016, 08:46 PM
I have this set-up

I modified the grip arms on one side slightly, so I was able to slide in my Note 4, with the defender otterbox case.
In the picture, you can see one side of the arms are taller. Gave me the wider grip I needed.

And for the ear phone plug extender, I went to Radio Shack. I also bought 2 , 90 degree adapter, to get the extension down the back side of the phone.

I have the otter box defender on mine also, how did you modify the grip arms to be able to slide it in with the case on.

nvmyf6
09-10-2016, 10:09 PM
I have the otter box defender on mine also, how did you modify the grip arms to be able to slide it in with the case on.

The rubber grips pull right off, then I just straightened both arms and re-bend em. The arms that you squeeze to open up the X-grip

The outer box case is just a little large for the regular size x-grip.

A larger x-grip is available, but its way to big, and this modification is so minamal.

You can see, I have the extension wire, with the 2, 90 degree adapters at the top, and have the power wire at the bottom. These wires are ran up the handlebar, from the left cubby.

When these wires are not in use, I have them secured to the underside or the handlebar with a double sided Valero strip, wrapped around the wires and the clutch fluid hose.

Jimmytee
09-10-2016, 10:12 PM
This is how mine is set up. Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case. It is in an I-Bolt mount. I have a charging cable routed through the fairing. Mine can play via Bluetooth so no need for the 3.5 mm jack

Brewdog
09-11-2016, 06:38 AM
I have this set-up

I had one of these RAM mounts and took it off. If you buy one, make sure you use the rubber band setup to secure your phone. I had a Iphone6 pop out of the spring and rubber arms and hit a concrete barrier in a construction zone last month at 60 mph. The other issue I had was the rubber feet would press on the buttons making the phone do weird things. I took it off completely.

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 07:12 AM
This is the dock I use.
https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-xProDock-integrated-Motorola-handsets/dp/B00U9XT8RO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473595747&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Ibolt+doc

You can just buy the dock clamp thing and I believe it would mount to one of the various other ball type mounting systems. Not positive. I have one in my work truck and one on my F6B. It holds the phone VERY securely . In fact, it is a 2 handed process to put your phone in the dock and remove it from the dock.

https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-3362347-xProDock-holder/dp/B00KAJOSZO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473595684&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Ibolt+doc

scoplin
09-11-2016, 09:19 AM
After trying the X-mount, I didn't think it was secure enough and then tried the finger grip mount from ram RAM-HOL-UN4U and have been very pleased with it. Another issue I had with the X-mount, using it with the samsung phones is that the phone would slide down in the mount and the holders on the X-mount would either turn the volume down on the phone or turn it off. Since the finger mount has a finger on the bottom, it doesn't allow the phone to slide down and you can adjust the side fingers so they don't touch the buttons on the side of the phone. As seen in the picture I have added a SSD (safety securing device) aka rubber band even though it is very secure without it.

CheesyRider
09-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I have a dedicated GPS for my motorcycle, but I use a RAM X-mount in my van. My son recently purchased a knock-off X-mount for his scooter. It is actually better than the real thing. It grips much tighter, so you could probably get away with not using that rubber band thing. Plus, it has a USB charger built in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UC20QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nvmyf6
09-11-2016, 03:26 PM
I have this set-up

Something else I remember when I bought the X-grip.
I bought the short extension. Looks like there are 3 sizes.

On some of the rough roads I ride on, the phone does shake severely, so I grab it to keep it secured in the grip arms.

Once I'm back on smooth roads, I make sure the rubber tips are pushed all the way on. They can start to slide off.

Gluing them on is a good idea. Also I make sure my phone is pushed all the way back, against that back part. I just squeeze the arms slightly to loosen the grip, push back on the phone, release the arms.

Ya just have to maintain your equipment. Sometimes, while yer riding.

I have a friend who's phone did fly out of his X-grip.

We were on the back roads, dirt and grassy area, when it flew out. It took a while to find it, and when it was finally found, the screen was cracked, corner edge was damaged. The good news was, it still worked.

His phone was not in any kind of a decent case. It would have survived better if it was in the Defender Case.

The rubber tips on the x-grip do grip the rubber otterbox pretty well.

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Something else I remember when I bought the X-grip.
I bought the short extension. Looks like there are 3 sizes.

On some of the rough roads I ride on, the phone does shake severely, so I grab it to keep it secured in the grip arms.

Once I'm back on smooth roads, I make sure the rubber tips are pushed all the way on.

The I-Bolt doesn't let my phone slio at all. It has been through some severely rough roads at frightening paces and not one issue.

Brewdog
09-11-2016, 04:42 PM
After trying the X-mount, I didn't think it was secure enough and then tried the finger grip mount from ram RAM-HOL-UN4U and have been very pleased with it. Another issue I had with the X-mount, using it with the samsung phones is that the phone would slide down in the mount and the holders on the X-mount would either turn the volume down on the phone or turn it off. Since the finger mount has a finger on the bottom, it doesn't allow the phone to slide down and you can adjust the side fingers so they don't touch the buttons on the side of the phone. As seen in the picture I have added a SSD (safety securing device) aka rubber band even though it is very secure without it.

Scoplin,
Nice picture. This is exactly what I replaced my spring loaded RAM with. No issues with this mount at all !!

nvmyf6
09-11-2016, 05:06 PM
The I-Bolt doesn't let my phone slio at all. It has been through some severely rough roads at frightening paces and not one issue.

Yes, that mount looks awesome for sure Jimmy.

Looks like it works best in the landscape position. Will it work in the portrait position okay as well? If one wanted to mount it to the handlebar.

Greg O
09-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I need a mount that will fit a Samsung Note 5 with a Defender Otter box on it. The phone with the case measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Yes, that mount looks awesome for sure Jimmy.

Looks like it works best in the landscape position. Will it work in the portrait position okay as well? If one wanted to mount it to the handlebar.

Yes, that's just how I prefer it. It gruos the phone very tight. That is my Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case.

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 05:47 PM
I need a mount that will fit a Samsung Note 5 with a Defender Otter box on it. The phone with the case measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".

Mine is a Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case

nvmyf6
09-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Yep, no problem, the Note 4 and Note 5 appear to be the same size in the otter box defender case.

Greg O
09-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Mine is a Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case

What would I need to mount the I BOLT to the left side handlebar where the 2 bolts hold the clutch handle on?

scoplin
09-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks Brewdog,

Yep, I just didn't like my $700 phone in the X-mount, especially on the back roads bouncing and sliding around in that mount. I like that the finger mount had multiple finger sizes to choose from and haven't looked back since. My phone is much more secure, I'm not running an otter case, using the supcase, measures roughly 3.25" X 6". The slides offer many choices in size compatibility and you can adjust the fingers to make it as tight as you want. I couldn't get the picture to display in the portrait position, seemed to only display in landscape, even tried to re-code that line to force it to make a 90° turn and still no go.

Greg O
09-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Has anyone used a Tech mount, they claim it will not slide out.

Jimmytee
09-11-2016, 08:56 PM
What would I need to mount the I BOLT to the left side handlebar where the 2 bolts hold the clutch handle on?

I'm not sure. What size are the ball mounts for the RAM mounts? I was kind of thinking they were the same size as the ball the various docking stations and mounts use. If that the case I believe there is a ball mount made for the clutch cover.

scoplin
09-11-2016, 10:56 PM
If you are referring to the motorcycle Larry cover http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8 it is the same as the ram mounts I have installed. You can't really see it in the earlier picture I posted but my finger mount is on the clutch resevior ball from Larry's with a ram ball in front for my beverage holder.

Brewdog
09-12-2016, 05:44 AM

Here's my set up. Very secure and hasn't failed me.

scoplin
09-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Looks good!

Greg O
09-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Has anyone used the spring loaded Techmount brand, there claim is it will not slip out, watch the YouTube video. I may give this one a try.

Greg O
09-13-2016, 07:33 PM
I ended up buying a Techmount Tech Gripper that attaches to brake reservoir screws, it is also Ram mount compatible.

nvmyf6
09-14-2016, 03:53 AM
I ended up buying a Techmount Tech Gripper that attaches to brake reservoir screws, it is also Ram mount compatible.

I just checked out a couple of the you tube videos on the Techmount Gripper and it looks pretty good. I've never seen one before.

Let us know what you think about it when you get it.

:thumb:

Greg O
09-14-2016, 08:07 AM
I just checked out a couple of the you tube videos on the Techmount Gripper and it looks pretty good. I've never seen one before.

Let us know what you think about it when you get it.

:thumb:

YOU GOT IT.I WILL.

terryboyle
09-14-2016, 11:31 AM
I leave my phone in my pocket and use a bluetooth connection to my Uclear HBC200 intercom headset. When it rings I just say "pick up" and it does. Streams my music from my phone and google drive directions for my GPS needs.

Skunkworx
09-14-2016, 03:06 PM
I have an Otterbox so I use the Otterbox belt clip attached to a Ram ball mount that MisterB details here #12

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8521-Best-mounts-for-your-cell-phone&highlight=otterbox

Works great. Quick & Easy!

Brewdog
09-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Thought I would share a photo of my phone that popped out of the RAM spring arm holder due to a construction zone pot hole at 60 mph. I replaced the phone with a new 6S. My fault for not using the rubber security band. The problem with holder was the rubber cushions on each of the four arms would depress the phone buttons and the rubber band security strap just made it worse. I made a bad decision to buy it in the first place.

Jimmytee
09-14-2016, 06:27 PM
I leave my phone in my pocket and use a bluetooth connection to my Uclear HBC200 intercom headset. When it rings I just say "pick up" and it does. Streams my music from my phone and google drive directions for my GPS needs.

My phone streams via Blurtooth as well, but it also serves as my GPS, display and control for GoPro, I heart Radio, Pandora, and it is nice to see who is calling, plus I use a "Car Mode" App which simplifies operation and display with large Icons.

nvmyf6
09-15-2016, 04:04 AM

I use to use a Bluetooth headset, but I installed a factory CB, so now I am hard wired to the bike.

I have a ton of tunes on a thumb drive, installed in the left side bag connected to the thumb drive wire.

I use my phone for navigation when I need to.

I can't take a phone call, but with my phone located on the left handle bar, I sure can return a text message.

A very short text message, but at least the wife knows I'm doing okay.

dh2253
09-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Hi, does anyone know if the RAM-B-309-1U will work on the F6B? I ordered a RAM-B-309-6U but had to return it as it didn't fit the reservoir screw holes.

Also, where did you buy the Techmount Tech Gripper?

Finally, I ordered a RAM mount for my Garmin 2555LMT but it is apparently not compatible with the standard RAM mounting systems :banghead:. Can someone recommend a solution for that? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Greg O
09-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi, does anyone know if the RAM-B-309-1U will work on the F6B? I ordered a RAM-B-309-6U but had to return it as it didn't fit the reservoir screw holes.

Also, where did you buy the Techmount Tech Gripper?

Finally, I ordered a RAM mount for my Garmin 2555LMT but it is apparently not compatible with the standard RAM mounting systems :banghead:. Can someone recommend a solution for that? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

I just installed the Techmount Gripper using the control mount option. It took maybe 10 minutes, everything you need is in the package. I have a Samsung Note 5 in a thick Otter Box, fits perfect.. This thing is great, I highly recommend it. I tested it today going over railroad tracks at 30 mph phone didn't move at all. The Gripper is very strong. Check out the you tube video. I purchased it on Amazon for around 60 bucks