PDA

View Full Version : Round Two of Cervical Epidurals

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Okay, I have to spell that out for Hornblower...(Ken)...they are sticking a long needle into my neck. Whew...glad to be past that description:shock:

Another day, another visit to the doctors office, or in this case...to the hospital. Today is round two of cervical epidurals, to try to deaden a nerve that is being pinched by the foraminal stenosis between C-6 and C-7 on the left side of my neck. The first time this was done, a couple months ago, it did not improve the situation. We are hoping for better results today.

This is one where they have to inject a dye into my system, watch it under an x-ray machine, and once the dye indicates the correct pathway that they want to inject into, then they shoot me up with a nerve killing agent (boric acid...arsenic...cyanide...something like that):iduno:

I am in and out of the hospital in about 3 hours.

Oh well...between all these doctors visits, and my bike being in the shop right now for lightning repairs, it gives those folks in the Southeast a chance to catch up to me in their riding mileage.:icon_rolleyes:

Philbert40
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Maybe someone is just trying to tell you that YOU ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK!

Hope it works out ok.

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Maybe someone is just trying to tell you that YOU ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK!

Hope it works out ok.

Thanks, Phil. And best of luck...or planning..with your upcoming ride.

Hornblower
09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Okay, I have to spell that out for Hornblower...(Ken)...they are sticking a long needle into my neck. Whew...glad to be past that description:shock:

I get it already :icon_rolleyes: You didn't mention the exact length of the needle...I'm assuming it's 1.314159" long. That about right? Seriously, I hope that all goes well and gives you some relief. Keep us posted!

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 11:16 AM
I get it already :icon_rolleyes: You didn't mention the exact length of the needle...I'm assuming it's 1.314159" long. That about right?

Nope ! it is about 5.314159 inches long....really ! no joke.:icon_frown:

CoCoKola
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I know what this is like; I have had 6 of these. They helped the intense pain i had, but mostly temporary unfortunately. hope it works better for your condition

1951vbs
09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
I was hoping the lightning bolt might have cauterized any recalcitrant nerves. I hope this procedure helps. Best wishes.

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I was hoping the lightning bolt might have cauterized any recalcitrant nerves. I hope this procedure helps. Best wishes.

Thanks, Mike. Two hours after the procedure, and it already feels better than the first time. I am hopeful that this time it will work.

Mustangjake
09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Glad you're doing better miles !

Steve 0080
09-18-2013, 07:46 PM
I broke my neck and back in 08..... I have had two surgeries on my neck, to make room for the nerves to exit to my right arm…… the shots never worked for me… get out the knife and get busy !!!!!

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
I broke my neck and back in 08..... I have had two surgeries on my neck, to make room for the nerves to exit to my right arm…… the shots never worked for me… get out the knife and get busy !!!!!

Can I just ride to Florida, and let you do it...with your Chrome Knife ? :icon_wink:

Steve 0080
09-19-2013, 12:27 AM
I am sure with the help of the Brain Surgeon who did my surgery we will be able to help you.... on my last surgery he brought books with pictures !!!

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
I am sure with the help of the Brain Surgeon who did my surgery we will be able to help you.... on my last surgery he brought books with pictures !!!

Steve, first, in all seriousness, I truly hope that your neck issues can and will be fully resolved, as it is a major thing to break a neck. While I have not actually broken mine, I have great empathy for you. I wish you the best.

Next, as a funy aside...while the doctor was doing the procedure yesterday (and he and I get along very well), he continued to check in with me to ask how I was doing, during the procedure. At one point I returned the question, to ask him how HE was doing. I then commented, I just wanted to make sure you were still awake, as I have had one doctor that fell asleep on me during one of these procedures. That got everyone in the OR laughing.

timjoebob
09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
I can't even read the title of this thread without my head spinning.

Get better!

MSGT-R
09-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Dang Miles, it's just one thing after another. Glad to read that your humor is still intact.

On a side note, my husband just rode from SoCal to Knoxville to attend a memorial service of a friend's daughter. He had a big black cloud following him through Texas and Arkansas. He was thinking about you and considering taking cover when it came down hard.

MichaelG
09-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Dang Miles, it's just one thing after another. Glad to read that your humor is still intact.

On a side note, my husband just rode from SoCal to Knoxville to attend a memorial service of a friend's daughter. He had a big black cloud following him through Texas and Arkansas. He was thinking about you and considering taking cover when it came down hard.

Terri, please tell your husband that I would NEVER rain on his parade. :icon_mrgreen:

BTW, three days past the epidural injections...and it appears that this time it resolved the nerve issues in my neck. YEAH ! That was an aggravating 5 months.

If this holds...as it is now...then I am out of the woods until the next time I bump my head.:icon_frown:

1951vbs
09-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Very good news Miles. It had to a real "pain in the neck" (pun intended) when you were riding long days with something like that nagging at you. I hope it stays fixed.