PDA

View Full Version : PA Mts. Fall color ride Oct 9.

Bob Penn
09-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Just thought I would throw it out there to see if there's any interest in putting together an October ride through the Pocono mountains during what should be the height of the fall colors. If so I'll start working on a route, schedule, and menu.
Lets see now it only took 3 months to pull off the spring ride. We already have our first hints of color so the window of opportunity is limited to either the 9 or 16 of October. Then too you all know I don't ride in the rain.

wjduke
09-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Bob, put me in for a maybe...that's all I can say right now. More likely that I'll have to pass though.

bob109
09-12-2016, 11:26 AM
I'll be departing Pa. for Florida mid October! I get the full effects of the Fall Foliage from Pa. thru Maryland, Virginia and portions of N.C.

Keep us posted on a actual date:039:

DMAGOLDRDR
09-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I don't see anything on my calendar for the 9th so I'm in.

Bob Penn
09-16-2016, 05:47 AM
I've been thinking about the possible routes and things that may be of interest to the group. One thing that came to mind was a possible stop I make every year at a honey farm in the back hills. It seems they like to empty their heated tanks every fall and shut them down. So they run an end of year sale. Last year I paid $4.25 to fill a 16 oz. mason bottle with my choice of 3 varieties. All are totally natural with no additives. You do have to bring your own clean bottles. I bought 10 bottles for myself and friends. They all asked to double their orders for this year. I opened my last bottle a week ago.

I like to sip honey tea with my apple pie in early winter by the fire place!"coffee"

zzh54
09-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Put me in for a better then maybe

wjduke
09-28-2016, 04:37 AM
I'm in if the weather cooperates!

Bob Penn
09-28-2016, 06:00 AM
I'm in if the weather cooperates!

You got that weather thing right!!!

Last weekend I did the Bloomsburg Fair thing and ate myself into a belly ache with fair food. Thankfully we got back to the Hotel at 6:30 and I settled my stomach with a prime rib dinner. I had forgotten how good they make a rib with their home made horseradish on the side. But it was a perfect day for riding weather wise just a bit cool in the morning. By noon it was in the 70's

This weekend the plan was for the Garlic festival. The weather forecast is not looking too good right now and you know smart retired people don't ride in the rain. So I think I'll be following their advise.

Hopefully by the 9th the weather will clear but the morning temps. maybe a problem. How cold is too cold for you to ride in?

Should we meet at our usual spot off I-84 ?

DMAGOLDRDR
09-28-2016, 06:42 AM
Heated Gloves and Heated Vest along with my "winter windshield" and I'm good to go. The PA welcome center works for me.

wjduke
09-28-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm not worried about the cold...if you old guys are riding, I'm riding. :joke:

Rain, well, that changes things...nothing worse than cold rain!

Bob Penn
09-30-2016, 05:54 AM
I'm not worried about the cold...if you old guys are riding, I'm riding. :joke:

Rain, well, that changes things...nothing worse than cold rain!

Yes there is extra cold rain. I think they call it hail! There ain't no pitter patter there it's all ouch, ouch, ouch :yikes:

Bob Penn
10-05-2016, 08:06 AM
OK, They changed the weather forecast this morning, Mat's not coming up the north east coast now. It's supposedly blowing out to sea in NC. but there is still some chance of rain on Saturday and clearing on Sunday.
What are your thoughts. The colors will be peeking this weekend and next. :clap2:

DMAGOLDRDR
10-05-2016, 08:45 AM
OK, They changed the weather forecast this morning, Mat's not coming up the north east coast now. It's supposedly blowing out to sea in NC. but there is still some chance of rain on Saturday and clearing on Sunday.
What are your thoughts. The colors will be peeking this weekend and next. :clap2:

So far this Sunday still looks good for me.

PC Ninja
10-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Just thought I would throw it out there to see if there's any interest in putting together an October ride through the Pocono mountains during what should be the height of the fall colors. If so I'll start working on a route, schedule, and menu.
Lets see now it only took 3 months to pull off the spring ride. We already have our first hints of color so the window of opportunity is limited to either the 9 or 16 of October. Then too you all know I don't ride in the rain.

That's just what I was looking for this month. The 9th weekend is a no, babysitting the g-Babies this weekend. I would love one the 19th through that weekend - I'd be IN on that ride.

wjduke
10-05-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm hanging in as a go...weather rules. We can meet in Beacon again like old times. 9ish

Is a 10:00 am meet time ok at the Meeting Center?

zzh54
10-05-2016, 03:10 PM
As long as its not raining when I leave I am in. If the 10 o'clock at Matamoras rest stop works, I will be at the gas station ( Beacon) at exit 11 around 8:30. Looking forward to a nice easy cruise day.

wjduke
10-06-2016, 04:28 AM
As long as its not raining when I leave I am in. If the 10 o'clock at Matamoras rest stop works, I will be at the gas station ( Beacon) at exit 11 around 8:30. Looking forward to a nice easy cruise day.

I can be there for 9 or so Jeff. Will have to leave here around 5:30. I think your 3 hours, if I recall. I just saw rain for late Sat , early Sunday though. That could affect me. Hoping not. Want to ride with you guys again.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-06-2016, 07:00 PM

That all sounds good to me. see ya at Exit 11

Bob Penn
10-07-2016, 07:05 AM
The local forecast is for a cold front to pass through the area on Saturday producing rain then clearing Sat. night. Sunday is supposed to be cloudy and cool 62 degrees with breezy condition. Defiantly ride-able on a 6 'riding''riding'but not definitely dry. I would suggest we all tune into this channel tomorrow for a definitely on or off.
What's happening to the east in the land of the tea party maybe questionable!

Took a nice ride yesterday to get my honey for the year, it was sunny and 75 degrees. There is some color but still some green and the leaves really haven't started to fall yet. So no worries about slippery wet leaves.:nono:

wjduke
10-07-2016, 09:22 AM
The local forecast is for a cold front to pass through the area on Saturday producing rain then clearing Sat. night. Sunday is supposed to be cloudy and cool 62 degrees with breezy condition. Defiantly ride-able on a 6 'riding''riding'but not definitely dry. I would suggest we all tune into this channel tomorrow for a definitely on or off.
What's happening to the east in the land of the tea party maybe questionable!

Took a nice ride yesterday to get my honey for the year, it was sunny and 75 degrees. There is some color but still some green and the leaves really haven't started to fall yet. So no worries about slippery wet leaves.:nono:

Watching closely...still a possible ride...hate to have a slight shower, then it clears for the day. I might ride through it. Just need to see the intensity.

zzh54
10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Hey Bob, is the Honey farm included in the ride?? I picked up a couple mason jars and would like to get some..

Bob Penn
10-08-2016, 05:44 AM
Hey Bob, is the Honey farm included in the ride?? I picked up a couple mason jars and would like to get some..

That's why I made the run on Thursday. I called them Monday to check on their schedule and found out they are closed on Sundays. Seems you can't keep them down on the farm on Sundays :shrug:

Now I'm forced to re plan the route. Yesterday I took a ride to check on the condition of a river road that runs along the Lacawacksen river. It's a real scenic road running about 10 miles along a raging river bordered by 100 foot pines with very little or no traffic. The road was very ruff but the scenery with golden colors was worth the bumps and bruises. At least to me.

How do you all feel about riding slowly and carefully on a badly broken road??

Are there any specific things or places you want to see. Or are you just interested in a back mountain ride through the hills and farm country?

What about eats??? Where too?

wjduke
10-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Thanks to the hurricane, looks like I'm out on this one. Rain bands are moving in from the south and it's going to rain all day here. I'm not going to be into riding in heavy rain at night after a long day....have a great time! Not happy...probably the last ride of the season out there.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-08-2016, 07:42 AM
I woke up this morning with a nasty head cold, if I still feel like this later today I will have to back out. Sneezing inside a Helmet really sucks !!!

zzh54
10-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Hey Bob, How far is the Honey farm for you? If I bring down my jars would you be able to get them filled and I could ride down sometime and grab them from you? I'll see what she says, maybe find someplace around me.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Sorry guys I'm out for this ride, I feel like crap.

Bob Penn
10-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Hey Bob, How far is the Honey farm for you? If I bring down my jars would you be able to get them filled and I could ride down sometime and grab them from you? I'll see what she says, maybe find someplace around me.

Sounds like it's a no go for tomorrow! Feels like deja-vue all over again from the spring time ride

How does next Sunday the 16th sound? The weather forecast for this week is warming back up into the 70's with sunshine. We still haven't gotten a frost yet so it can't be called an Indian summer ride.

It's about a 50 mile ride each way to the honey farm from here but it's mostly beautiful hilly back country roads. If we move the ride to next week you could possibly talk me into making another trip up there this week to fill your order. What size Mason jars do you have and how many?

zzh54
10-08-2016, 05:54 PM
That works for me, If you can get up there to grab some more honey. I have 3 32oz jars ( quart size ). I will plan on bringing them next week if you make the trip this week.
Thanks

wjduke
10-08-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm not free next weekend....have a certain visitor flying in from GA. :shhh:

DMAGOLDRDR
10-08-2016, 07:55 PM
I can NOT do the 16th so enjoy the Honey guys.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Nice !!!!!!!

53driver
10-08-2016, 08:29 PM

Oh lol! Y'all have fun!
Not that she'd EVER ride bitch, but the fall colors in PA are awesome!!!!

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
10-09-2016, 06:02 AM
Oh lol! Y'all have fun!
Not that she'd EVER ride bitch, but the fall colors in PA are awesome!!!!

Cheers,
Steve

You got that right! Cagers for the weekend Steve

Bob Penn
10-15-2016, 10:10 PM
OK, I guess no ones up for it. It's a shame because the weather looks to be perfect, sunny with temps in the 70's. As promised, the colors are aflame and at their peak.

If we knew the date of the wedding we could start thinking about a spring ride.

53driver
10-16-2016, 07:07 PM

OK, I guess no ones up for it. It's a shame because the weather looks to be perfect, sunny with temps in the 70's. As promised, the colors are aflame and at their peak.

I can provide an awesome DJ rig or even a band!!!!

wjduke
10-17-2016, 04:44 AM

I can provide an awesome DJ rig or even a band!!!!

Easy guys ...things are great and she's back home. That's where it stands, but we are planning the next visit. Texts, phone, and emails will have to do for the foreseeable future. :icon_biggrin:

wjduke
10-17-2016, 04:54 AM
So you guys (who care) know she's alive and well...this is all you're getting from me! Newport, RI, 10/15/16

DMAGOLDRDR
10-17-2016, 06:30 AM
So you guys (who care) know she's alive and well...this is all you're getting from me! Newport, RI, 10/15/16

Good enough, the smiles tell me the rest!!!

53driver
10-17-2016, 07:27 AM

Truly awesome Wayne.
I'm very glad for both of you.
As mentioned - those are some great smiles.
Cheers!
Steve

wjduke
10-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Good enough, the smiles tell me the rest!!!

Truly awesome Wayne.
I'm very glad for both of you.
As mentioned - those are some great smiles.
Cheers!
Steve

Thank you

53driver
10-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Of course, if I recall her preferences correctly, this might require a new gender switch ad campaign:

willtill
10-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Of course, if I recall her preferences correctly, this might require a new gender switch ad campaign:

I wish I got one with the fluted barrel...

willtill
10-17-2016, 08:50 AM

:yes: :yes: