PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever thank cagers?

wiggy
09-12-2016, 07:54 PM
I didn't want this to get buried at the bottom of Willtills "Almost Got Hit" thread. I Have been taken out and totaled my first Valk Interstate by a snot nosed teenager who blew a stop sign and I hit her broadside back in 07. I suffered multiple injuries and broken bones.

I'm all for "start Seeing Motorcycle" signs and such but wondered if anyone else "Thanks" motor vehicle drivers who DO wait for us to go by before pulling out-sometimes when there's even a couple hundred feet to spare. In these cases, I always give the drivers a friendly wave. I'd like to think I'm doing my small part to convince them that not all bikers are assholes and we appreciate their awareness. It's not much different than when someone holds a door for us....Yeah, they're really supposed to do it, but we still acknowledge them. Same theory. I hope others also do this or will join me in the practice. Thanks.

Travelor
09-12-2016, 08:03 PM
I didn't want this to get buried at the bottom of Willtills "Almost Got Hit" thread. I Have been taken out and totaled my first Valk Interstate by a snot nosed teenager who blew a stop sign and I hit her broadside back in 07. I suffered multiple injuries and broken bones.

I'm all for "start Seeing Motorcycle" signs and such but wondered if anyone else "Thanks" motor vehicle drivers who DO wait for us to go by before pulling out-sometimes when there's even a couple hundred feet to spare. In these cases, I always give the drivers a friendly wave. I'd like to think I'm doing my small part to convince them that not all bikers are assholes and we appreciate their awareness. It's not much different than when someone holds a door for us....Yeah, they're really supposed to do it, but we still acknowledge them. Same theory. I hope others also do this or will join me in the practice. Thanks.

I do. Sometimes all it takes is a nod of the head.

six2go
09-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Absolutely I do.

choptop
09-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I ride in a lot of group rides, usually in the back, a lot of cagers will let the whole group run threw a stop sign, I acknowledge them w/ a wave.

willtill
09-12-2016, 08:14 PM
I absolutely do as well. I will wave to a motorist(s) whom percievably do slow down to let me in; especially during a lane change.

opas ride
09-12-2016, 08:22 PM
I absolutely do as well. I will wave to a motorist(s) whom percievably do slow down to let me in; especially during a lane change.

+1, I agree as perhaps those motorist(s) that do so might ride bikes at other times???...Anyhow it is much appreciated by me and safer on many occasions...

stroguy
09-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Most certainly here as well. There are some good ones out there.

bob109
09-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Most certainly here as well. There are some good ones out there.

Same here! Courtesy begets courtesy:icon_biggrin:

RickJ
09-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Absolutely! I also stop for pedestrians in crosswalks- much to their surprise!

Willl
09-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I wave to Cager's daily, Police and Fire included

'gw-smiley'

YikesCops
09-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Most of those who drive cars are alert and courteous. You have to work with those guys and encourage that behavior.

bubbasparks
09-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Big problem I'm seeing is teenage kids behind the wheel texting and talking on the phone. I have reversed the old slug bug game as I played as a kid and now have my daughter 8yrs old counting and yelling motorcycle every time we see one.

seadog
09-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Since installing the bright white driving lights I bought last year from Value accessories I haven't had one car turn in front of me or pull out in front of me. Like was happening before the lights were installed. I had 4 close calls before the lights were there. I am a day rider and don't do much of anything at night and that was the reason I put them on. I leave them on all the time and definitely have notice a change in the drivers I have approached with them running. Has anyone else seen a change since installing these lights? I am really impressed with them for sure. Worth every cent I paid for them.

willtill
09-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Since installing the bright white driving lights I bought last year from Value accessories I haven't had one car turn in front of me or pull out in front of me. Like was happening before the lights were installed. I had 4 close calls before the lights were there. I am a day rider and don't do much of anything at night and that was the reason I put them on. I leave them on all the time and definitely have notice a change in the drivers I have approached with them running. Has anyone else seen a change since installing these lights? I am really impressed with them for sure. Worth every cent I paid for them.

Yes,

M30 LED's on my DR650 with a single Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator. And... Show Chrome LED driving lights on my F6B with dual Kisan Headlight Modulators .

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

98valk
09-13-2016, 10:57 AM
I figure that when a cager does something decent for me, it is probably another biker in his car. We do drive 4 wheels once in a while. :icon_lol: And yes, I thank them.

Victory65
09-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Sure, the ones I can tell didn't see me at first but then stop while I go by. I give them a nod and a wave hoping it will be positive reinforcement for them. Maybe it will help them to become more observant of motorcyclists.

wiggy
09-13-2016, 03:45 PM

Absolutely, the right equipment can do wonders for whether we're seen or not.

I'm not all the way there on what I want for a total look, but it's a start.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160327_103518_zps0gjarqxb.jpg

VStarRider
09-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for this thread.

I think about that all the time ... do I wave and acknowledge cagers for doing what they are supposed to, or do I just go on as if I were in a car?

Since reading this thread, I am going to start waving, especially at those who wait longer than they normally would just to make sure I am safe. I estimate that 95% of drivers are courteous and respectful of motorcycles, and want us to be safe.

Here's a dilemma - a bike offers opportunities to squeeze in and through certain traffic situations that cars cannot. Often, I will NOT take advantage of this ... because instead of being seen as a positive (relieving some traffic volume), those are seen as dick moves. An example would be using the shoulder to scoot around a long line of cars waiting at a red light without a green arrow, to not have to wait for those turning left on a two-way green.

Bigboy61
09-14-2016, 07:19 PM
As I see it most of us are at a disadvantage when riding our bikes. We are not surrounded by metal that can protect us in an accident.

We have also been conditioned by stereotypes from biker movies and reckless crotch rocket riders breaking speed limit laws and other things. This view translates to the rest of bike riders whether deserved or not.

Europeans enjoy the sharing of the road because it is a way of life over there. Not so here in the USA.

So, when I have a chance to signal a "thank you" for stopping or allowing a lane change I make sure I do the nod or the hand wave.

wiggy
09-14-2016, 07:31 PM
As I see it most of us are at a disadvantage when riding our bikes. We are not surrounded by metal that can protect us in an accident.

We have also been conditioned by stereotypes from biker movies and reckless crotch rocket riders breaking speed limit laws and other things. This view translates to the rest of bike riders whether deserved or not.

Europeans enjoy the sharing of the road because it is a way of life over there. Not so here in the USA.

So, when I have a chance to signal a "thank you" for stopping or allowing a lane change I make sure I do the nod or the hand wave.

We're thinking on the same page. I wave to acknowledge them and thank them for seeing us. But in a sense, I'm also trying to make up for those you mentioned and trying to build a good name for bikers with cagers.

53driver
09-14-2016, 07:56 PM
I wave at them in thanks as well.
I also give them an index finger "naughty-naughty" if they are driving distracted.
Some of them don't respond "favorably" and then I just laugh....