PDA

View Full Version : New helmet arrived

MichaelG
09-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Yesterday, just before riding off into the sunset to take my bike to South Bound Honda...Lakewood, WA....I found that UPS delivered a box to my front gate. With my hearing gone, I could not even hear the UPS truck pull up out in front, and I was working close by getting my bike ready to take in. I found the box, as I was trying to ride out thrugh the gate, so I had to stop everything...STOP EVERYTHING...and take the box into my motorcycle garage, and deal with it when I got back home. I knew what it was, so it could wait.

BTW, the helmet I wore to the dealership, was an antique Shoei Duotec that I have had for more than 20 years, and has been sitting on the shelves in my big shop, just collecting dust. After a brief wipe-down, clean the faceshield, etc, I wore it for the 45 mile ride to the dealership, and once there...I tossed it into their dumpster. It was still a good helmet by North Carolina standards...as Big Dawg would have used it for one of his dogs...as water bowl, but for me it was just in the way, and no longer a good helmet. Toss...goodbye...:icon_lol:

The new helmet I got, from Arai, and I mean...directly from Arai...was sent to me for free...to replace my Arai that was so attractive to lightning.
This is a link to show what my new helmet looks like: http://www.araiamericas.com/#/helmets/moto/ct-z/solid/black-frost

It is just how it looks in the picture...same Black Frost color...which is a flat black, with a slight satin sheen. It will be great for painting a scene of a lightning strike onto the sides of it.

I want to publicly THANK the folks at Arai for stepping up and doing this. Very Cool !:yes:

jkelley
09-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Great, at least you got something out of your electrifying experience.

F6B-RICH
09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Thats a sweet helmet you got there Sparky :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
09-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Miles, please let me know how you like that helmet... I have an Arai and was looking at that helmet for the visor alone...

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Miles, please let me know how you like that helmet... I have an Arai and was looking at that helmet for the visor alone...

Steve, I will let you know, once I am able to get my bike back, and take it for a ride. I have no intention of rushing this good dealer to fix my bike. I want them to take their time, with no pressure from me. I could try it on with one of my other bikes...but I know that my brain is still not where I want it to be, so I am willing to wait for my F6B to be done.

The "bill" or "visor" on this new helmet is the one thing that is a little odd to me. Arai calls it a "beak". I have thought about possibly removing it. Once I get a chance to ride with the new helmet, I will have a better idea of removing it, or keeping it on the helmet.

I will say, as we all know, that every helmet fits differently, and every brand...and every brands' sizing...is different. On my way to drop my bike off at the dealer, I stopped by Eagle Leather, an accessory store in Lakewood, WA., just to try on a few helmets, to spend some time, as I was early for the bike drop off. On entering the doors to Eagle Leather, I was approached by several salespersonnel that asked me if I was the guy struck by lightning. Duh !

I tried on about 6 different brands...in a couple of different sizes...and ultimately NONE of the total of 10 helmets that I tried on fit me like my old Arai does. I knew I had the new Arai waiting for me back at the house, so I had no intention of buying...just wanted to try them on, for fit.

Once I got back home that day, I tried on the new Arai, the new CT-Z, and was immediately pleased with how the helmet fit my head. That was a relief, as this was a new helmet...a new model...for me. I guess I just have an Arai shaped head.

Go ahead Hornblower and Big Dawg...bring on the head shape jokes...:bowdown:

kjelders
09-19-2013, 08:25 AM
So Sparky.....if you put your cell phone in your pocket, does it stay charged now? :icon_mrgreen:

Hornblower
09-19-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't have any head-shaped jokes but this thought did come to mind...for all the "environmentalists" out there, forget about solar power, we've got something much better now-Sparky Power :bowdown: