PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to add air every week or so?

stevenolts
09-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I have the t-valves from FOBO installed and I still have to put air in the tires about once a week.
Do you need to add air once a week or so? When the bike was new I needed to add air once a week or so also.

jm21ddd15
09-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Well, how much air do you have to add each time you check the tires? And does the front or rear seem to lose more than the other? I run an oem stone on the front, and run it at 41lbs. Seem to add maybe 1 or 2 lbs every 2 weeks. Got a darkside on the rear, and that General G-max , I run at 42, and it seems to be holding air as well as my front.

stroguy
09-13-2016, 07:41 PM
I rarely have to add air. You have a sleak.

Miks
09-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Interesting...I installed these on my bike, and noted what I thought was a slight leak around the air valve. Prior to that, I could go a month before having to add a few pounds to each tire, but that was about it. I find the FOBO is really sensitive, especially to ambient temperatures. Not sure if it is the transmitters, or the way temperatures affect the tire pressures the way they do. I get about a four or five pound increase in pressures if the temperature is warm and I am on the highway.

I have noted my tire pressures showing a pound low, go to the gas station to buy some beer since it is football season, and drive home I note an increase of a pound + in my tire pressures. It isn't even a mile each way at 30 miles per hour, so I just leave them alone and fill up about once a month to the recommended pressures.

lgjhn
09-13-2016, 07:51 PM
I have the t-valves from FOBO installed and I still have to put air in the tires about once a week.
Do you need to add air once a week or so? When the bike was new I needed to add air once a week or so also.

I check pressure before every ride. Unless I've picked up a nail or something in the tire, it doesn't vary all that much at all.
IF you're adding air every week, I'd suggest getting some soapy water and start looking for a leak, especially around the valve stems.

stevenolts
09-13-2016, 07:51 PM
I have had a leak in 3 back tires / 2 rims and 2 front tires / 2 rims with 5 different valve stems then. The 4 original tires, rims, and valve stems and the 2 t-valve replacements. I bought silver rims as take offs from Honda of Russelville and the original new bike tires and rims. That sounds highly unlikely that all of these parts could be bad.
Steve

willtill
09-13-2016, 08:14 PM
If you have added Fobo T-Stem(s)... you have had to most certainly break down the tire bead(s) to do so.

In doing so, sometimes it does take a while for the tire to completely seal back onto the rim. It happened to me as well when I installed my front T-Stem recently. I have seen this with new tires mounted as well.

Check the Fobo T-stem with soapy water (mine does not bubble, even ever so slightly). Check the air pressure frequently (daily at the same ambient temperature) and ride the bike. More likely than not... the slight loss of air will eventually cease. It did for me

Also take into account that lower ambient air temperature will result in a decrease of your tire pressure. Making you think you may have a leak.

stevenolts
09-13-2016, 08:30 PM
I had the FOBO t-valves installed by the dealer.

willtill
09-13-2016, 08:33 PM
I had the FOBO t-valves installed by the dealer.

Are they tight on the rim? Or are they loose (can you wiggle them)? Did you spray them with soapy water to check for leaks?

DocF6B
09-14-2016, 08:28 AM
I only have had to add air in extreme temp changes or in the spring after sitting for a few months. - 2015 B Deluxe

Old Ryder
09-14-2016, 09:27 AM
For some reason, ALL of the Honda's I have owned (F6B, VTX 1800, and Valkyrie) leak down in a week or so-- from 40 to 34-36 just like clockwork. Very strange since other bikes I have owned have never had that problem.

opas ride
09-14-2016, 09:44 AM
For some reason, ALL of the Honda's I have owned (F6B, VTX 1800, and Valkyrie) leak down in a week or so-- from 40 to 34-36 just like clockwork. Very strange since other bikes I have owned have never had that problem.

+1, I have noticed the same pressure changes on all my Honda bikes also. Usually a couple psi every other week or so..I generally check them about once week , and always before a longer ride...Just something to live with I suppose as I have no leaks as far as I know...I think ambient temps have something to do with changes in PSI..

stevenolts
09-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I am not that anal about this normally but the FOBO TPMS warns me (or should I say the whole house) all night long if I am low on air. This seems to happen about once a week. My wife is going to kill me because it gives an alarm every couple of hours and wakes her up. I personally have not been awakened by the alarm. But I can sleep through anything and if I do wake up it takes me seconds to fall back to sleep.

This is a problem because I need to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to stop the alarm. I am about to change the low warning so this does not happen. Changing the low setting is not a good thing. I would think there should be a way to get my tires to hold air better.

Steve

53driver
09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
I am not that anal about this normally but the FOBO TPMS warns me (or should I say the whole house) all night long if I am low on air. This seems to happen about once a week. My wife is going to kill me because it gives an alarm every couple of hours and wakes her up. I personally have not been awakened by the alarm. But I can sleep through anything and if I do wake up it takes me seconds to fall back to sleep.

This is a problem because I need to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to stop the alarm. I am about to change the low warning so this does not happen. Changing the low setting is not a good thing. I would think there should be a way to get my tires to hold air better.

Steve

You can change the tolerances for the warning.

willtill
09-14-2016, 02:29 PM
You can change the tolerances for the warning.

Just FYI for other... The Steel Mate TPMS that I have (I know you guys have/are talking about the FOBO though) has a threshold before it starts alarming. 10 psi in either direction of the threshold. I had to set it at 36psi, since my front is 40psi and my rear is 31psi; in order to accommodate both tire ranges. It won't apply individual thresholds to each tire

53driver
09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Just FYI for other... The Steel Mate TPMS that I have (I know you guys have/are talking about the FOBO though) has a threshold before it starts alarming. 10 psi in either direction of the threshold. I had to set it at 36psi, since my front is 40psi and my rear is 31psi; in order to accommodate both tire ranges. It won't apply individual thresholds to each tire

The FOBO app will let you set them individually. :icon_mrgreen:

willtill
09-14-2016, 02:34 PM
The FOBO app will let you set them individually. :icon_mrgreen:

Ya.. I opted for the K-Mart Chinese version :shhh:

stevenolts
09-14-2016, 02:45 PM
I have had the FOBO for a year now and I know I can set the tolerances anywhere I like. I have just been reluctant since that is the best part of the FOBO TPMS. It lets you know before you get on the bike and I can add air if needed. I thought one I got new tires again and different rims they would maybe hold air better. But they are the same as the other tires rims and valve stems. I think I just need to go ahead and set the tolerance lower so I don't get a warning until I am further off the optimal air pressure. Then I need to force myself to check it more often.
Steve

unsub
09-14-2016, 08:21 PM

I do a pre trip before every ride. I never have to add air...

SimonTemplar
09-15-2016, 12:17 AM
I use the FOBO T-Valves with Garmin TPMS caps.

I find that I lose almost exactly 1.0psi per week. I have ALSO found that (at least in terms of the Garmin system...and therefore I presume the others as well, as the systems are pretty much the same throughout the industry) the pressure readout can vary a bit from hour to hour and day to day...indicating that the system doesn't always read EXACTLY the same each and every time. The variance can be as much as 0.6-0.7psi.

When I first installed the system, I chased the pressure a bit...but found, if I had a low reading, that quite often if I let the bike sit and waited a few hours it would read closer to the expected values. This may be due to changes in ambient air temp or perhaps changes in ambient air pressure.

Either way, I eventually DO need to trot out the compressor every 7-10 days to bring it back up to running pressures. This has annoyed me as well, as all of my past bikes (eleven in total..ranging from Yamaha's to Triumphs to Matchless to Katanas ) all have held pressures for several months or more.

Speaking of alarms. The Garmin system doesn't ping your phone, but can be set to any threshold you choose and will alarm on your GPS unit.

....sT

Old Ryder
09-15-2016, 08:54 AM
I use the FOBO T-Valves with Garmin TPMS caps.

I find that I lose almost exactly 1.0psi per week. I have ALSO found that (at least in terms of the Garmin system...and therefore I presume the others as well, as the systems are pretty much the same throughout the industry) the pressure readout can vary a bit from hour to hour and day to day...indicating that the system doesn't always read EXACTLY the same each and every time. The variance can be as much as 0.6-0.7psi.

When I first installed the system, I chased the pressure a bit...but found, if I had a low reading, that quite often if I let the bike sit and waited a few hours it would read closer to the expected values. This may be due to changes in ambient air temp or perhaps changes in ambient air pressure.

Either way, I eventually DO need to trot out the compressor every 7-10 days to bring it back up to running pressures. This has annoyed me as well, as all of my past bikes (eleven in total..ranging from Yamaha's to Triumphs to Matchless to Katanas ) all have held pressures for several months or more.

Speaking of alarms. The Garmin system doesn't ping your phone, but can be set to any threshold you choose and will alarm on your GPS unit.

....sT

Me too. What I cannot understand is what does Honda do that makes this unique to their bikes. Never had the problem on my Victorys or Harleys. :shrug:

wjduke
09-15-2016, 09:30 AM
On my original tires, even after a cold winter, I didn't lose more than 1lb. I just changed both and installed new 90deg stems, so we'll see.

Bob Penn
09-15-2016, 09:50 AM
On my original tires, even after a cold winter, I didn't lose more than 1lb. I just changed both and installed new 90deg stems, so we'll see.

Wayne I think you got it right!

Too many people worry too much and ride too little.

It's like watching my bathroom scale, sure there's fluctuation, but then I sit down in there and the problem just seems to go away.

willtill
09-15-2016, 10:03 AM

It's like watching my bathroom scale, sure there's fluctuation, but then I sit down in there and the problem just seems to go away.

In my past, "worrying too much" kept me alive. :shhh:

53driver
09-15-2016, 10:23 AM

That, good sir, is funny - and too true!

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2016, 11:51 AM
We do seem to be an obsessive bunch (Motorcycle riders in general) because I check my Motorcycle tires PSI before every ride but check my car and trucks MAYBE once every couple months... Nothing I have has TPMS. It's just me and my gauge.

I will say I would NOT be comfortable with a PSI loss every week. My guess is valve core. I have seen very small leaks that are only detected by sliding a piece of 6in length or so clear tube with soapy water over the valve stem. Then sit and have a coffee (or beverage of choice) and watch for bubbles.

stevenolts
09-15-2016, 05:10 PM
That is better than my waiting for my early warning system to tell me my tire looks low with the cars. (my wife)
I just don't feel as vulnerable in a car.

Steve

unsub
09-15-2016, 09:39 PM
We do seem to be an obsessive bunch (Motorcycle riders in general) because I check my Motorcycle tires PSI before every ride but check my car and trucks MAYBE once every couple months... Nothing I have has TPMS. It's just me and my gauge.

I will say I would NOT be comfortable with a PSI loss every week. My guess is valve core. I have seen very small leaks that are only detected by sliding a piece of 6in length or so clear tube with soapy water over the valve stem. Then sit and have a coffee (or beverage of choice) and watch for bubbles.

True, but a blowout on 4 wheels is more recoverable than a blowout on two.

SimonTemplar
09-16-2016, 01:35 AM
True, but a blowout on 4 wheels is more recoverable than a blowout on two.

....and that is PRECISELY the reason I couldn't get the Honda 90-degree stems off of my wheels fast enough. Even if I'd never bothered with TPMS, those Honda stems had to go and go quickly.

Being mounted in rubber the way that they are....sure they're fine to begin with, but get some age on them and let that rubber start aging and degenerating. Couple that with the forces created by slinging them in a circle at the rotational speeds caused by 60+mph.....talk about disaster on the hoof!

....sT