PDA

View Full Version : Sena 20S / SMH10 has anyone replaced the speakers

stevenolts
09-14-2016, 03:14 PM
I think the sound in both the Sena 20S and the Sena SMH10 is not loud enough.

Has anyone replace the speakers? I know I read that someone has but I need more details before I try it. I have read online a little about this but it is important to get the right speaker to make it a good quality and louder upgrade.
Steve

radi0chik
09-14-2016, 03:45 PM
sorry can't help with the speakers, but have you ever considered earbuds? nothing will ever sound as good, plus it helps with protecting your ears from damage due to wind noise....

stevenolts
09-14-2016, 04:07 PM
I use earbuds with the half helmet. The new Sena 20S has a port for earbuds maybe I will try that on the way home tonight to see if it sounds better. The ear buds in a 3/4 or modular helmet hurt my ears after a while.

Steve

Jimmytee
09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
My impressions have been that volume was never an issue for me, just sound quality in general and the lack of bass with the speakers. I've read of some replacing the speakers with speakers from decent headphones. On my modular, I have a clamp that allows me to use the speakers or plug in ear buds. The ear buds make the sound as good as the quality of your ear buds. As for the speakers that come with the clamps, they work fine for GPS , intercom or telephone, but much rather listen to my bikes speakers for the music.

stevenolts
09-14-2016, 04:16 PM
My impressions have been that volume was never an issue for me, just sound quality in general and the lack of bass with the speakers. I've read of some replacing the speakers with speakers from decent headphones. On my modular, I have a clamp that allows me to use the speakers or plug in ear buds. The ear buds make the sound as good as the quality of your ear buds. As for the speakers that come with the clamps, they work fine for GPS , intercom or telephone, but much rather listen to my bikes speakers for the music.

What ear buds do you recommend?
Steve

Jimmytee
09-14-2016, 05:13 PM
What ear buds do you recommend?
Steve

Heck that's a loaded question. Just ant quality ear buds. You can spend little or a lot. You also have to consider whether they will fit with the helmet on, so they can't have a lot of bulk to them. Bose makes some pretty decent. There are some pretty expensive sets that are custome molded to your ear, but the name of those escape me at the moment. I usually spend $40- $50 on a set. Look at reviews online to see what others have said.

MisterB
09-14-2016, 11:13 PM
I have the SMH-10R and the speakers sound fantastic!
Well, they sound fantastic if you can get them cupped over your ears like headphones, but you can't with the way their made.
The only way it would be possible to get decent sound out of any of these speakers would be to take the ear pads off some headphones and build them into your helmet.
The Sena have spacers available to get the speakers closer to your ears. I tried them but they only mashed the hard speakers against my antihelix.
I haven't worried about it since I got the B, I prefer the cluttered, imperfect sound from the stereo mixed with all the sounds of riding to the isolated experience it would be to have helmet speakers that had a good enough seal to have substantial bass response.
The Sena is great for answering phone calls that I never get and I occasionally go for rides with an ST1300 buddy who has a different BT system that the Sena can connect to. Scala, I think. The lack of bass is not a problem for human voice clarity.

Mike
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
I use the SENA 10C and have several friends that have SENA SMH10 and we use them all the time. They work great and I love the HD camera:yes::yes:.

Switchmonkey
09-15-2016, 12:02 AM
I use these babies! Ultimate Ears

Zero wind noise... nothing but outstanding sound.

stevenolts
09-15-2016, 06:33 AM
I have been wearing my Schuberth C3 helmet and the Sena 20S speakers sound fine in this helmet. It is just my Scorpion 3/4 that is noisy. My main complaint is the false advertising by Sena making it sound like the speakers would be so much better than the older SMH10 speakers.

I have decided to just be happy with it the way it is and ride baby ride.
Steve

Audiochris90
09-15-2016, 08:45 AM
I use these babies! Ultimate Ears

Zero wind noise... nothing but outstanding sound.

Those are some fine ear bubs, sound rivals the best in the audiophile world.

radi0chik
09-15-2016, 10:40 AM
I use these http://www.plugup.com/custom_made_earplug_speakers_stereo_earbudss_s/73.htm fantastic sound and comfortable all day