PDA

View Full Version : Riding Long And Hard

Richie
09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
For those that ride long hours at high speeds, does this lead to your bike burning oil? This is something that will not happen to my bike, since i'm over 70 years old just not sure about any damage to the bike.
Richie

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
For those that ride long hours at high speeds, does this lead to your bike burning oil? This is something that will not happen to my bike, since i'm over 70 years old just not sure about any damage to the bike.
Richie

Richie, as for myself...my bikes do NOT burn any oil. I only use my newer bikes...i.e., F6B, GL-1800's, FJR's, ST's, etc. to ride the long rides that I do. My older bikes, i.e., Vincent Black Shadow and Ariel Square Four are relegated to local rides, and bike shows.

On the newer bikes, with very high-tech engines...water-cooled...I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil, or excess oil comsumption. I am very prudent about changing my engine oil and filter...every 5,000 miles, on an engine that has been fully broken in, and I use Mobil 1 oil...regular automotive style Mobil 1, in the 10w-30 weight.

I think there is a distinct difference between riding very long hours, at elevated speeds...versus thrashing a bike at unwarranted speeds...even in short distances. I can say with absolute certainty...I seriously CARE for the engines on my bikes, as I want...and expect...them to last a minimum of 100,000 miles, and preferably closer to 300,000 + miles.

I believe that a properly warmed up engine, ridden with thought, can last as long, or longer than a bike that is ridden for half the distance each day.
This is not about doing wheelies, or stoppies, or burn-outs, or really hard stops. It is about thoughtful engine care, maintenance, and simply having the personal desire to ride more miles each day.

BTW, Richie, in the IBA...70 years old...is YOUNG. !!!!!!! Many of the riders are much older than that. Ask Ardys Kellerman, who at 80 years old, rode her BMW to over 100,000 miles in a year. :icon_mrgreen:

unsub
09-19-2013, 07:59 PM
BTW, Richie, in the IBA...70 years old...is YOUNG. !!!!!!! Many of the riders are much older than that. Ask Ardys Kellerman, who at 80 years old, rode her BMW to over 100,000 miles in a year. :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry readers but Ardys Kellerman has passed away as result of a crash. She certainly was an accomplished cyclist though.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/81-year-old_female_motoryclist.html

MichaelG
09-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry readers but Ardys Kellerman has passed away as result of a crash. She certainly was an accomplished cyclist though.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/81-year-old_female_motoryclist.html

This truly saddens me. I have known Ardys for many years, have ridden together many times, and have shared many a dinner table with her.
I am also sad that I was not aware of this event before today. She was (is) truly a great rider, and an even better person.:icon_frown:

Richie
09-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Richie, as for myself...my bikes do NOT burn any oil. I only use my newer bikes...i.e., F6B, GL-1800's, FJR's, ST's, etc. to ride the long rides that I do. My older bikes, i.e., Vincent Black Shadow and Ariel Square Four are relegated to local rides, and bike shows.

On the newer bikes, with very high-tech engines...water-cooled...I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil, or excess oil comsumption. I am very prudent about changing my engine oil and filter...every 5,000 miles, on an engine that has been fully broken in, and I use Mobil 1 oil...regular automotive style Mobil 1, in the 10w-30 weight.

I think there is a distinct difference between riding very long hours, at elevated speeds...versus thrashing a bike at unwarranted speeds...even in short distances. I can say with absolute certainty...I seriously CARE for the engines on my bikes, as I want...and expect...them to last a minimum of 100,000 miles, and preferably closer to 300,000 + miles.

I believe that a properly warmed up engine, ridden with thought, can last as long, or longer than a bike that is ridden for half the distance each day.
This is not about doing wheelies, or stoppies, or burn-outs, or really hard stops. It is about thoughtful engine care, maintenance, and simply having the personal desire to ride more miles each day.

Miles thanks for the response.
Richie