PDA

View Full Version : Is it just my eyes

DMAGOLDRDR
09-19-2016, 06:58 AM
I am guessing it is just my getting older but it seems to me as Headlights get brighter and my eyes get older it gets more difficult to see Turn Signal lights on cars. Because of aesthetics most car manufacturers place Turn Signals right next to Headlights which make it very difficult to see the dimmer Signal. Now I realize most folks around here don't even bother to use them but for the ones that do, it would be nice if they were more distinguishable.

bob109
09-19-2016, 10:56 AM
I am guessing it is just my getting older but it seems to me as Headlights get brighter and my eyes get older it gets more difficult to see Turn Signal lights on cars. Because of aesthetics most car manufacturers place Turn Signals right next to Headlights which make it very difficult to see the dimmer Signal. Now I realize most folks around here don't even bother to use them but for the ones that do, it would be nice if they were more distinguishable.

Welcome to the "Over the Hill Gang":shhh: You're right about "new car" headlight/turn signal design! They are tough to see! My problem is "night driving" with the infamous oncoming headlight "halo":shock: No eye problems according to my eye doctor! Just age:039:

DMAGOLDRDR
09-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the "Over the Hill Gang":shhh: You're right about "new car" headlight/turn signal design! They are tough to see! My problem is "night driving" with the infamous oncoming headlight "halo":shock: No eye problems according to my eye doctor! Just age:039:

Well,, I guess seeing that it takes me longer to rest than it did to get tired I am defiantly in the "over the hill gang". My Doc said the same thing about the eyes.

Retired Army
09-19-2016, 11:12 AM
DM,
Have you had cataract surgery yet? I did and my eyes are really sensitive to light now. Welcome to aging.

seadog
09-19-2016, 12:44 PM
DM,
Have you had cataract surgery yet? I did and my eyes are really sensitive to light now. Welcome to aging.

Back when I was 20 years old I was very sensitive to lights and as I got passed 60 years old my sensitivity had diminished. Then the Cataract surgery and now I am back to 20 years old light sensitivity. Unfortunately it didn't do any reversal on my age. Just my eyes!
Car headlights and over zealous motorcycle riders putting in bulbs that are way brighter than they should be have become a problem at night. So 325 dollars later and the new night driving glasses so I am able to see at night, all it takes is money to compensate.

Bob Penn
09-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Back when I was 20 years old I was very sensitive to lights and as I got passed 60 years old my sensitivity had diminished. Then the Cataract surgery and now I am back to 20 years old light sensitivity. Unfortunately it didn't do any reversal on my age. Just my eyes!
Car headlights and over zealous motorcycle riders putting in bulbs that are way brighter than they should be have become a problem at night. So 325 dollars later and the new night driving glasses so I am able to see at night, all it takes is money to compensate.

Hey seadog at our age we're supposed to be in bed by 7 pm. not out gallivanting like a hound in heat.:nono:

seadog
09-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Hey seadog at our age we're supposed to be in bed by 7 pm. not out gallivanting like a hound in heat.:nono:

The lazyboy recliner boy!

DMAGOLDRDR
09-19-2016, 03:07 PM
DM,

The only surgery I have ever had on my eyes came about 25yrs ago when a sliver of steel had to be drilled out.

The rest of my body, well that's a different story,,,

Old Ryder
09-20-2016, 01:25 PM
I got my drivers license renewed about 3 months--- I have always been an organ donor since 16. The lady asked me if I wanted to continue. I said "Sure, if they can find anything that isn't wore out".

Seriously, the thing that kills me now is the new "Style" for 4WD pickups--you raise the front and lower the rear and that always puts the light beam burning a hole in my retina. :banghead:

stevenolts
09-20-2016, 04:44 PM
I have always been sensitive to bright lights / even worse now or I am not willing to put up with any inconvenience these days. I am only 56 and I am quickly becoming an angry old man if I don't get my way. I only have so much time left and I am realizing that life is too short now to let someone else tell me what to do. I have spent my entire life taking care of my family. My daughters are all grown up and it is my turn now.

Steve

MisterB
09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Seriously, the thing that kills me now is the new "Style" for 4WD pickups--you raise the front and lower the rear and that always puts the light beam burning a hole in my retina. :banghead:
Yup. Many of you dismiss it as old age, but headlight technology was static for decades, now there are awful after-market pop-ins that are so cool tinted I've thought they were law enforcement blue lights.
For the better part of a century you'd go buy a sealed glass headlight and maybe you'd have a halogen option. Now it looks like a string of Christmas lights dragging down the highway at night. Tint and output used to be fairly consistent and you could be cited for misaligned or improper lighting. It's "anything goes" nowadays.
Reflectors are carefully designed for the bulb or emitter they couple with, I see folks with god-only-knows in their headlights and dream of days gone by.
So like the doc said, there's probably nothing wrong with your eyes.
Welcome to the new normal.

Brasco
09-21-2016, 12:00 AM
I have always been sensitive to bright lights / even worse now or I am not willing to put up with any inconvenience these days. I am only 56 and I am quickly becoming an angry old man if I don't get my way. I only have so much time left and I am realizing that life is too short now to let someone else tell me what to do. I have spent my entire life taking care of my family. My daughters are all grown up and it is my turn now.

Steve

You took the words out of my mouth . . . 56 with adult daughters too and I feel exactly the same way as you. Curmudgeons R'Us and we're just getting warmed up!

Aardvark
09-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Yellow lenses help to reduce the halo during night driving (at least for me). The yellow lenses may be those that are "blue blockers" - they block blue light - I'm not sure. And I don't drive the Wing at night; just the cage, since I'm a geezer.

seadog
09-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Yellow lenses help to reduce the halo during night driving (at least for me). The yellow lenses may be those that are "blue blockers" - they block blue light - I'm not sure. And I don't drive the Wing at night; just the cage, since I'm a geezer.

Most good night driving glasses have two coating, one is the yellow tint, the second is a Zeis coating like what is on a set of binoculars which very efficiently block the glare you get from oncoming bright lights. My night drivers were fairly expensive at about 325 buck but there isn't any other set that I have ever had that equaled them for blocking the bright and glare of oncoming headlights. they also work great seeing in a heavy downpour, you wouldn't think they would help but they are excellent for that also.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Good anti glare glasses are well worth the cost for night driving ( I have worn glasses from the age of 5) BUT my main issue is with the headlights over powering a cars signal lights. and making it hard to see the signals.
If and when someone actually uses their signals before turning left in front of me, I would like to see the signal and be ready for the guy to "not see me" and turn in front of me.

seadog
09-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Good anti glare glasses are well worth the cost for night driving ( I have worn glasses from the age of 5) BUT my main issue is with the headlights over powering a cars signal lights. and making it hard to see the signals.
If and when someone actually uses their signals before turning left in front of me, I would like to see the signal and be ready for the guy to "not see me" and turn in front of me.

Its not only good to be able to see his turn signal but like you said, for him to see you. Since I bought the bright white driving lights from Value Accessories I haven't had one car turn in front of me or pull out in front of me and I can only think that those lower bright white light are working for people to see me. I had 4 or 5 close encounters before their installation and none since. I didn't change anything else, still have the stock headlights in and the driving lights were the only change. I think they are worth the money just for the safety aspect as I am just a day rider and leave them on all the time and I don't ride at night.