PDA

View Full Version : Fly and Buy?

VaBob
09-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Who has flown to buy a motorcycle. I kinda want to do a f6b this way so that I can get into the fun real quick.

RuneRider66
09-23-2016, 07:05 AM
I did, although not to buy the B. I flew from Columbia SC to Indianapolis IN and picked up a 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. I flew in late, stayed at a hotel. The seller picked me up the next morning at 8am. 8:50am....I was on the road back to Columbia. 6pm I was in my driveway. A very good experience. Still talk to the seller now and then. Do it, I don't think you will regret it. Just make sure your comfortable with the seller and the condition of the B first.

Felloverboard
09-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Plane trip was not close enough to where I needed to be, so I took a Greyhound bus..... Now that was an adventure. I came from Orlando to mid Mississippi. Rode the bike 700 miles home the next day. Went thru the gears slowly at each 2 hour gas stop. Kept the bik e at 65 or below on the trip. Found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ridden, like the stock seat. I would do it all again. I have almost 23,000 on the bike now and runs same as new. Have 19,000 on a CT Bridgestone Driveguard rear tire. Use Rotella and a basic filter. Bellypan for speedbumps. Headlight modulator and brake strobes. Repainted a few months back to a red metallic with metallic and several coats of clearcoat. Some really great deals out there right now on 2013 and 2014 leftovers.

seadog
09-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Plane trip was not close enough to where I needed to be, so I took a Greyhound bus..... Now that was an adventure. I came from Orlando to mid Mississippi. Rode the bike 700 miles home the next day. Went thru the gears slowly at each 2 hour gas stop. Kept the bik e at 65 or below on the trip. Found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ridden, like the stock seat. I would do it all again. I have almost 23,000 on the bike now and runs same as new. Have 19,000 on a CT Bridgestone Driveguard rear tire. Use Rotella and a basic filter. Bellypan for speedbumps. Headlight modulator and brake strobes. Repainted a few months back to a red metallic with metallic and several coats of clearcoat. Some really great deals out there right now on 2013 and 2014 leftovers.

I just had to clear this up, break in on a new bike is 5 seconds in first gear then you ride it like you stole it. The pistons in a new engine need to top out in the cylinders and if you don't push it and drive it like the manual says that doesn't happen. I have broken in every new engine the same way, have never had a problem with it burning oil. Babying a new engine is just plain wrong. Absolutely the worst way to break in a new engine. That isn't just my humble opinion either, a professional will tell you the same thing.

Motorn
09-23-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm prepared to fly to buy my F6B. I've been looking all over Canada and there are some good deals out there. If I could sell my vfr1200, I'm ready to go!

carpdm
09-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Who has flown to buy a motorcycle. I kinda want to do a f6b this way so that I can get into the fun real quick.

I've done it twice. Once to buy from dealer and once from private party. Both times were a fun adventure for me. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Old Ryder
09-23-2016, 09:48 AM
I just had to clear this up, break in on a new bike is 5 seconds in first gear then you ride it like you stole it. The pistons in a new engine need to top out in the cylinders and if you don't push it and drive it like the manual says that doesn't happen. I have broken in every new engine the same way, have never had a problem with it burning oil. Babying a new engine is just plain wrong. Absolutely the worst way to break in a new engine. That isn't just my humble opinion either, a professional will tell you the same thing.

I drove 375 miles to pick mine up and drove it home. It needs to be said that over 300 of the miles were on I-95 southbound. It was rare when the speed-O dropped below 80 MPH---always because of stalled traffic.

DTOM
09-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I flew from Utah to Indiana last November to buy. I took the southern route and just spent most of my time on Interstate until northern New Mexico...then I had some fun state roads to ride. The ride was great until the pan handle of Texas...28 degrees....brutal. I bought from South Carolina a couple of weeks ago, but chose shipping. I couldn't break away this time. Go get her!

Nuke
09-23-2016, 06:11 PM

I flew up to Pennsylvania from Chattanooga Tennessee and bought my gently used 2013 F6B, flight was cool but the ride home was fantastic 750 miles. I had a blast. Saw some country I've never seen and brought home my 5th gold wing. I also came off a sport bike to a F6B, these handle a lot like a big sport bike. I really enjoy my bike. Its my daily driver..welcome20.

VaBob
09-26-2016, 03:35 PM
I started this thread while looking at honda of russelvilles inventory. But it looks like Bill And Hillary clinton airport is the only thing relatively close, I just dont know........

Ayres
09-26-2016, 11:02 PM
I hitched a ride with a relative from Montana to Louisiana in June to pick up a 2013 bike. I ended putting on 2500 miles before I got home. Great ride and I would do it again anytime.

VStarRider
09-27-2016, 03:33 PM
I might do this if I decide to go after a second bike in a few years, just for shits and giggles.

On a side note, the OL and I occasionally talk about flying out to Seattle or Portland, staying a few days, then renting a convertible and driving back to NY.