PDA

View Full Version : Another rack thread

terryboyle
09-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Has anyone made a rack that bolts on with the passenger grab rail bolts and sits over the passenger seat for solo riding?

cueman
09-23-2016, 01:40 PM
That would be a good idea.

kenny urban
09-23-2016, 02:57 PM
That would be a good idea.I had made a template out of Poster Board,,then took-it to a Metal supply shop,,they did a CATIA Full-Size paper mock-up,,
I took-it home, and found I needed to widen the total sketch by 1/4 inch,,then they water jeted-it out of .11 Alum,,on the scetch, I added Four SETS of 1/4" x 1.5" slots(tie-down)they water jeted them as well,,I then took-it to a paint shop, and had-it Painted with epoxy paint,, I've used-it for TWO Years on my 2014 F6B,,I even mounted the Drivers Backrest onto the plate,,
NOW, when my wife rides,,I can take-out the TWO Bolts,,and take-off the whole set-up as one PC,,It is bolted to the PASSenger backrest Holes,,I used TWO PCs of Delron, and made TWO risers,,
that makes the Plate EVEN with the TOP of the drivers HUMP,,by his AZZ,,It just sits on there,,kennyU,,
NO pictures handy,,send me a Phone Text,, and I'll send you a picture on MY Phone,,2zero6-38zero-1zero51.

terryboyle
09-23-2016, 10:02 PM
2359723598235962359923600[ATTACH=CONFIG]

terryboyle
09-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Could you please give me an idea of the cost to produce and install? I already have the manufacturer's backrest and brackets on my bike.
Love the Givi adaptor plate and the antenna inclusion. How large a box can you install on that. I'd like to put a 55 litre one on.

kenny urban
09-24-2016, 12:25 AM
Could you please give me an idea of the cost to produce and install? I already have the manufacturer's backrest and brackets on my bike.
Love the Givi adaptor plate and the antenna inclusion. How large a box can you install on that. I'd like to put a 55 litre one on.the hard case is called a LUN,,It is the "ST" Size,,
16"W x 11"Deep x 10" Height,, It is a ABS Flat Black "MATTE" Finish,, as you can see,,there is enough room between the case and the CB Antenna, to fit a soft cooler or a Soft Hydro-Bag for LONG trips,,
the SOFT "POLAR BEAR"Kooler is from Wingstuff, It is the 12-Pack Size, they make a 6-Pack soft kooler as well,, the PT.# PLPB120,,My wife stopped riding, so this Rack stays on the bike all the time,,
ALL the allum. studs around the rack WERE needle pointed, it Looked pretty cool, BUT caused damage to almost every thing they touched,, so I made a jig to grind them ALL to the same Height,
OH WELL,,KennyU,,SEATTLE.

bob109
09-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Has anyone made a rack that bolts on with the passenger grab rail bolts and sits over the passenger seat for solo riding?

This "set-up" accomplishes the same feature for "solo riding"! After fabricating my "home brewed rack" from black Vinyl Material, I installed my "Cruiser Bag", with built in back rest, to the "passenger seat". Securely held in place with straps, the bag can be quickly removed if need be. I additionally made a "stacked riser" for the OEM Back Rest. The added height allows the Cruiser Bag additional support. With my highway pegs deployed, sitting and leaning back is like having a "Lazy Boy" on wheels:shhh: Having a solid covered stowage bag and rack provides the best of both worlds:icon_wink:

Some pic for "clarity"!

a1scoot
09-24-2016, 09:47 AM
I built one for my for my cross country ride back in May..
a1scoot

terryboyle
09-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Can't figure out how you tightened those attachment points up front. Please enlighten me.

terryboyle
09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Nice setup. Well done.

a1scoot
09-24-2016, 06:49 PM
I took some solid bar stock and heated it red hot and hand bent it 90 degrees…then I counterbored a hole thru for the stock seat bolt leaving a .125 thick floor..
Tapped a hole in the top for a 1/4-20 screw to attach the top plate with… The rear mounts utilize the stock backrest mounts with a couple sleeves to achieve the proper height to sit just above the passenger seat area..Top plate is 1/4 alum with rounded corners…Painted everything gloss black..
The entire build took me one day at a buddys machine shop..I had the aluminum suitcase laying around and ordered the chrome rack ( fits a harley tour pack) for $57.00…
Guess it helps that I am a retired tool and die maker…

a1scoot:icon_mrgreen: