PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Rally After Action comments

53driver
09-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Riders,
Please use this thread to let me know what you liked, didn't like, and any/all suggestions or improvements.

Examples:
I really liked the close proximity of the hotel to the riding roads - let's make sure that happens for the next rally.
I think having a bike rally in a "dry" county was silly, but I also realized that I woke up every day ready to ride, so that wasn't actually too bad.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Jimmytee
09-25-2016, 09:51 AM
I really can't think of much. The dry county thing wasn't a big deal since the wife brought the SUV to fetch the beer on the first day. We were close to the good roads ,as you mentioned. We had decent rooms. Nice having the immeditate access to the outside too, as opposed to having to walk through internal hallways to get to your room.

I was surprised by the amount of good roads to explore. Didn't really know what to expect as I had never been to AR. Great time was had by all I think. About the only thing that would have made it nicer was 10 - 15 degrees cooler or more. We can't control that however. At least it was sunny and dry.

I know this may come in a latter thread, but I am voting on either Franklin again or maybe even KY next year. There are a lot of options here and some nice roads to explore. Not just saying because it's close, but if KY, thinking of Bardstown. Just throwing it out there. If anyone here has done the Bourban Trail, there are some excellent roads getting to and from.

53driver
09-25-2016, 09:55 AM
I want to get this year sorted, lessons learned, etc so we can apply them to next year's location!

Jimmytee
09-25-2016, 10:03 AM
I want to get this year sorted, lessons learned, etc so we can apply them to next year's location!

Not really much to complain about then.:icon_cool:

Battoo
09-25-2016, 10:09 AM
First Thanks for the open arms Welcome , as this was my first
Second I like the Location , saw no issues with it it would be nice If all the rooms had been together in one area or one side
Third hell i do not see a third lets do it again and Kentucky sound good to me

stroguy
09-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Well it's hard to complain about anything for this event. The next location should just mirror this one.

You had easy access to event HQ if you were staying at hotel. You had instant access to the Interstate system. You had instant access to 3 filling stations. You had instant access to several food places. The host hotel had a very decent food service for breakfast that opened at 5. The dry county issue was easily overcome.

My comment will be about making sure we leave as small a trash and occupation footprint for the locals to complain about. I kinda felt right at home with the half full (optimist) water bottles left for dead. Someone came behind you to place them in the refuse can. Same with the aluminum can products. You know, some would consider it abuse. Lastly, a half empty (pessimist) high quality H2O bottle will hold many a cigarette butt. Just be aware that somebody is probably going to come behind you and clean up. That's my soapbox for the day. We did a great job of leaving that small footprint behind, but there's always room for improvement.

beppok
09-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Being an introvert and avoiding rally's for 40+ years I was pleasantly surprised.

Pluses - A person could go to all the events or none. There was no pressure to do or not do anything.
There were plenty of roads to choose from. Never followed the same route on any day we were there.
It was nice having members from the area helping with rides and knowing the lay of the land.
And all the stuff others have said about access, restaurants, and amenities.
Russellville Honda was a great asset.
The moderators who took the lead of the event were all great.

Negatives - Would have liked to see the agenda with times posted the first day. It did get me to talk to Steve and ask about the next morning's timing so maybe not all bad.

A plus and Minus - The Fayetteville rally. It was nice to go to but all the Harley's kinda ruined the riding on the last day.

Sad that Steve had to stay behind the first day to greet others as they came and then have his bike in for maintenance and the air filter R&R demo. Then to top it off with getting a bum loaner that last day. Next year if I can make it I would be happy to stay behind and greet the later arrivals. No one should have to give up that much time when they should be riding. There are plenty of us to lend a hand. We'll see what happens for next year.

Jimmytee
09-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Being an introvert

Next year if I can make it I would be happy to stay behind and greet the later arrivals..

Those two items would seem to be in conflict. :icon_lol:

broncsrule21
09-25-2016, 07:28 PM
:icon_wink: The only problem I see....is it wasn't in Colorado :icon_wink:

jm21ddd15
09-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Great location, but Franklin also is. If we go to Russelville again, I would hope it would be on a different weekend, rather than the BBB festival weekend. There were WAY TOO MANY SLOW Harleys, put-putting on the good roads on Friday, and even some on Thursday. Yes, they do have the same road rights as we do, but the majority of them were there for the BBB fest. Otherwise, a great Rally. Wishing for another!

beppok
09-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Those two items would seem to be in conflict. :icon_lol:

You are very astute. They are conflicting. But I am willing to help were needed. I am quiet and introverted by nature. But as I've grown older I've decided not to let my nature stand in the way of doing things. So just because because being around people drains me doesn't mean I can't suck it up and contribute when needed. Besides afterwards I can just ride it off.

I used to hate public speaking but today I can stand up and give a speech with the best of em.

My wife says I am the only person she knows who could be in solitary confinement for months and come out refreshed.

So yup full of conflicts.

lgjhn
09-25-2016, 09:34 PM
This was my first F6B rally and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Echoing some of the other comments: it would be good to have all our rooms together on one side of the hotel, but really not that big a deal.
It would be helpful to have our events listed out in advance, but I understand the logistics of trying to do that.
I have no problems with the Russellville location and area. We are up there 3-4 times/year and have yet to ever get "bored" with the area. Great roads almost everywhere there. However, I'm certainly open to other great locations as well.

stroguy
09-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Whammo, daily or weekly events can be posted for all to see. Member room numbers, yadayadayada yada. Easily edited.

http://www.magicwhiteboardproducts.com/products/magic-whiteboard-25-sheet-roll/

53driver
09-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks and keep it coming.

Posting the schedule - yes, I should have had that out on the first day - my bad.
I like the whiteboard idea...we'll see if that can play. I actually have some...

Again, we'll get to a 2017 location thread in the near future, but I want to capture all the "Good, Bad, & Ugly" from this event so we can properly choose for next year.

And Steve's not riding as much as he shoulda/coulda/woulda? Don't worry - I got that covered; I also made new best friends who have invited me back to tour the Ozarks.

There were over 58 registrants - so I'm hoping for at least 50 posts from everyone.
I know you guys - you all have an opinion.
Cheers,
Steve

Ixol Phaane
09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Well now...

First, I gotta say "Thanks!" again to Steve for accepting the mission to execute this rally. A fine job he did. And "Thanks!" also to Calvin, and Brian (Bryan?) and Stroguy for all the assistance they provided. Y'all make a great team. :icon_biggrin:

I thought the motel was more than adequate. Their operation did encounter a couple minor hiccups (billing, card key access) but nothing deal breaking. I thought it was clean and easily accessible to our ride routes, gas and eats. No complaints from me.

The routes to ride were AWESOME! Here I gotta thank Monk and DonnieOnTheRoad for that fantastic pre-rally scouting ride out to Oark on Tuesday. Thank you, sirs, for letting me tag along! And Donnie... thanks for your technical assistance and suggestion for tracking apps. I'm really diggin' the Spotwalla/SWconnect apps combination. Also "Thanks!" to Mike and Ken, Tom, JimmyT and BigCat for letting me tag along on your Thursday ride in lieu of going to Fayetteville. I think that was a great ride. I hope I didn't slow you down too much. Loved those yellow roads. And David, it was great to follow you on your trike... you were riding it like a boss! :icon_biggrin:

The weather was beautiful, so no complaints about that.

As for all the "water buffalo" :icon_wink: on the roads, that was never an issue on the routes I rode on all four days. Probably just lucky, so no complaint from me on that either.

I know you asked for suggestions, but I thoroughly enjoyed every day of the rally. I really could not have wished for a better week!

Oh, but wait! Okay, maybe a couple more group photo opportunities at some of the beautiful scenic stops and overlooks along the various routes. That would have been nice. And a group photo of the riders who attended would have been nice to have, also. So maybe next year we can try to pull that off.

Aside from that... great rally:icon_lol:!!

Pumper
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Opinions are like you know what we all have one and use it...

For me being my first F6B rally, I did not know what to expect. That said, I would say this group did a great job of putting this all together. Dry county, sucked, but I was not there to drink. Roads were awsum and in great proximity to our hotel.

Cagers on road were courteous also, that makes life much more fun when you are running the twisties. Not all places are this way, something to consider for future rallies. Further the road surfaces were in great shape and allowed for worry free travels (no sand/gravel).

Refreshments served were a nice benefit, every morning we had our choice of water and Gatorade type, saved time from stopping when riding...cause there was so many good roads to ride!

Monk gave me some insights on the locals road, unfortunately the day he was to lead he had kidney rocks...I hope you are healing now Monk. We rode 400 miles that day, and could have done more.

Hats off to those whom were responsible for a successful gathering!

Cheers,

Pumper

zzh54
09-27-2016, 07:15 PM
I think, this being my 2nd Rally, things went very well. A little more communication on what is going to happen and when, but that was solved with post on the tables.
I would have liked to seen a better grouping of the rooms, one block of rooms on one side of hotel.

Other then that BIG HI FIVE to all who chipped in to make it another great rally

lake_carl
09-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Not sure how much the tent rental was but local here some of the places will clear out one or two room set up tables for the groups to have common areas or bit bigger facilities have meeting rooms that might work better than tent if bad weather strikes

glide one
09-28-2016, 08:36 AM
All in all the rally was a success.
Thanks to Tony & Steve for all their time and work to make it happen.

One question: What happened to the bikini bike wash?

Ride Safe

53driver
09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
I know more of you attended......

Ixol Phaane
09-28-2016, 11:02 AM
...One question: What happened to the bikini bike wash?

Mr. Big Sexy was a little shy. :shhh:

zzh54
09-28-2016, 06:46 PM
I really don't think anyone there wanted to see me in that outfit, no less bending over to wash a bike.

stroguy
09-28-2016, 06:54 PM
All in all the rally was a success.
Thanks to Tony & Steve for all their time and work to make it happen.

One question: What happened to the bikini bike wash?

Ride Safe

I did mention Hooters girls visit HQ to Steve. We may need to chip in on that one.

Bighutch14
09-28-2016, 07:40 PM
I had a great time at the rally. There isn't much that needed to be changed in my opinion. Overall fun time and great conversation!

Papawhip
09-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm really wishing I could have made the rally. It sounds like fun times and new friends. I have only 1 suggestion. That being having a rally in the central part of the country. I'm in California and have no chance to make it to AK for this type of event. I'd love to meet as many of you I can and see all the amazing innovations that are on the bikes. Please keep it in mind when planning for next year.

Thanks,

Papawhip

53driver
09-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm really wishing I could have made the rally. It sounds like fun times and new friends. I have only 1 suggestion. That being having a rally in the central part of the country. I'm in California and have no chance to make it to AK for this type of event. I'd love to meet as many of you I can and see all the amazing innovations that are on the bikes. Please keep it in mind when planning for next year.

Thanks,

Papawhip

Noted! It would have been a haul for many of our PNW riders as well, although one gent from San Francisco made it.
There will be a thread soon to entertain locations for next year, incorporating as many of these A/As as possible!
Cheers,
Steve

stroguy
09-28-2016, 08:45 PM
New Mexico near Taos is gorgeous. Don't know what the snows are like in Spetember. Been skiing there and it is beautiful country.

Bob Penn
09-30-2016, 05:30 AM
Maybe what's really needed is two rallies one for each coast. Then a major rally in the middle! But then again that's a lot of beer, T paper and pie!!

CoCoKola
09-30-2016, 10:20 AM
here are my thoughts, and keep in mind I was happy with really and had a great time. All these suggestions are "over and beyond" the great job Tony and Steve (and others) did.

1. have the days rides info posted include who is leading to the destination, and approximate departure. That way I could plan if I have time to visit the area before departing.

2. Ideally for either the way there or way back, offer a choice of difficulty and respective leads. Of course, this would take more planning prior, and may not be possible.

For example, I realized on my way home I never knew of an opportunity to go ride (push mountain?) which sounded like the best ride in the area.

Perhaps this was shared prior to the 815 stand ups?

3.Make sure everyone takes initiative in the group (especially attendies who have been to these rallys prior) to introduce themselves to first time attendies. I tried to spend time meeting everyone, but I didn't find the time. I hoped to arrive earlier Tuesday and maybe that was my bad.. I'm not knocking anyone here!

4.For the group rides, get an idea of riders style ahead of the Rally, perhaps have two groups - a spirited /technical run (we may do +10 to +20 or more than the recommended speed for curves) and leisurely lead (more conservative keeping to suggested turn speeds, generally keeping to speed limits and taking more frequent breaks.)

Further, maybe prior to the rally, have a poll to determine which group each rider would join ( 1. I tend to exceed speed limits and I have a lawyer on retainer :icon_twisted: 2. I enjoy taking in the scenery at a leisurely pace and like more stops to take photos) :th_sunbathe:)

Maybe I needed to communicate better, but in hindsight I would have planned my days differently

5. Would have been nice to know who was going on what rides, or more importantly, if there were folks who were not going on the group rides, and who they were for Alternate outtings..

6. Designate a senior leader who can offer a look over for any possible concerns - such as tread or brake pad health. I'll openly admit although I am not new to riding, I am new to owning. I do visually inspect my bike, but I was delayed coming home due to a new problem with my tire cupping from the spitited rides of the week :icon_biggrin:

7. I would have liked to have evening time dedicated to "what I have done to my bike " group discussion. Riders can volunteer to talk about their favorite upgrades and why. For example, I would have loved to have a better idea of aftermarket pipes and seeing/hearing them. I think windshields, audio, lighting, wind deflectors, suspension upgrades might be interesting for many.

8. Perhaps see if any vendors who sponsor this site would come to the rally and demo their popular stuff.

9. For next year rally, I know others complained about the harleys being in the way but I do enjoy rallys with vendors. It was great to pick up a passenger drink holder due to the heat. Just my opinion.

10. Would any riders who teach safety or technique be willing to set aside time to observe riders and make suggestions? I appreciated the feedback received. Steve was already busy leading the group, surely the are others who could help.

11. Pre-rally thread for early arrivals to coordinate, as well as having someone lead coming from general areas. I saw some coordinate coming from my area.

12. Could motel have a meeting room for bad weather or after 1030 pm use?

13. Add a day to the rally, or just have the pre-rally day planned.

We liked the motel over hotel, walking distance to food and food open 24 nearby, nearby gas, proximity to good rides, the awards and giveaways were fun.
That's enough for now..

Thanks all,
Robert

pitcherd
09-30-2016, 09:52 PM
I was very happy with the meeting place. I really liked Russellville and the thought of a Honda Shop right around the corner. Luckily I did not need to use the Shop, but I know it was handy for a few peeps.

The Dry County thing was not that big of a deal, just would like to know that a head of time. I realize that is not something the coordinator needs to look into. It was something that I don't think about being in Florida we don't have dry counties.

I liked the Tent outside. Gave me a chance to socialize with everyone in one place. Smokers would have to go outside and Hotels that have services like that won't be affordable to me for a long vacation. I was very happy with the Best Western.

I seen Steve mention a white board, but I am not sure who is going to strap a board on the back of their F6B and ride across the country.

I think that things were put together very well. In my opinion I liked the way the rides were setup. It made people meet others and start their own conversations.

Everyone who spent hours and hours planning this ADVENTURE for everyone that showed up I want to say "THANK YOU!"

CoCoKola
10-01-2016, 04:47 PM
I concur. Also, did we skip the slow ride competition or did i misses it?

53driver
10-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I concur. Also, did we skip the slow ride competition or did i misses it?

When my bike was put back together, I went out to the Honda parking lot for the competition.
I was the only one there.
I rode VERY slowly.
I won.

willtill
10-01-2016, 05:22 PM
When my bike was put back together, I went out to the Honda parking lot for the competition.
I was the only one there.
I rode VERY slowly.
I won.

If you play with yourself, of course you will win. :shhh:

:icon_mrgreen:

CoCoKola
10-01-2016, 06:45 PM
If you play with yourself, of course you will win. :shhh:

:icon_mrgreen:

Huh, I thought it was at the hotel.. Oh wait, let's not talk about playing with yourself at the hotel...

masonmike
10-01-2016, 11:48 PM
I'd like to give a special thank you to Tony and Steve for making all this possible. The location was great, along with all the people I met and rode with. The roads were amazing, the best I've ever ridden on. I even received some good riding tips (Steve & Pumper) Finding a location that would make everyone happy, is impossible. Duh, it's a big country! Can I suggest we move the rally closer to one of the coasts and then alternate every year. This way you know if it's too far to go this year, in all likely hood it will be a lot closer next year. A good chance you'll make 50% of the forum happy every year. Probably not much different than this year. I believe September to be the perfect month for this. Motels also have there advantages.
One last thought: Do you think anyone can ever get tired of riding the dragon?... (I doubt it) There's my two cents, for what it's worth.

RickW
10-02-2016, 06:11 AM
"8. Perhaps see if any vendors who sponsor this site would come to the rally and demo their popular stuff."

I have been at the last 2 previous rallies with our own F6B, could not this year because we were on a Cruise Ship.
I would be willing to do it again depending on the date and where it is. I can possibly bring our trailer down.
We are very busy and just need advance notice on time.

We are going to be in Maggie Valley all this week riding and doing a Spyder Rally through next Saturday.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/2015%20Pictures/Motorcycle%20Pictures/Blue%20Ridge%20Pkwy%20NC%201015-5_zpsfum645oo.jpg

53driver
10-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Value Accessories supported us this year by providing some of those door and raffle prizes that adorned the tables.
It was a shame Rick couldn't be there.
He's always ready to talk to anyone about form and fitment of add ons.
As you can see on his "6" - he's tried most everything!

Thanks again Rick!
Cheers,
Steve

ddoug
10-02-2016, 10:57 AM
This was our first rally with the F6B group ; and we ( Patricia and I ) really enjoyed the event.
Seeing how I got the oldest award at 67 yr. young ; I think a couple of riders were afraid to expose being older than me! Oh well !!! Maybe next year!

choptop
10-02-2016, 04:46 PM
I'd like to give a special thank you to Tony and Steve for making all this possible. The location was great, along with all the people I met and rode with. The roads were amazing, the best I've ever ridden on. I even received some good riding tips (Steve & Pumper) Finding a location that would make everyone happy, is impossible. Duh, it's a big country! Can I suggest we move the rally closer to one of the coasts and then alternate every year. This way you know if it's too far to go this year, in all likely hood it will be a lot closer next year. A good chance you'll make 50% of the forum happy every year. Probably not much different than this year. I believe September to be the perfect month for this. Motels also have there advantages.
One last thought: Do you think anyone can ever get tired of riding the dragon?... (I doubt it) There's my two cents, for what it's worth.

:yes:

choptop
10-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Value Accessories supported us this year by providing some of those door and raffle prizes that adorned the tables.
It was a shame Rick couldn't be there.
He's always ready to talk to anyone about form and fitment of add ons.
As you can see on his "6" - he's tried most everything!

Thanks again Rick!
Cheers,
Steve

:yes::yes: