PDA

View Full Version : Did you wet your Ultimate?

moosedog
09-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Fairly new convert to the Ultimate King which was purchased used through this site (thanks Crazy Horse). Completely love this seat except that I have read that the seat is not water proof. Apparently, the seats are usually shipped new with a rain cover but this one did not come with one. Has anyone here been caught in a good rain without the cover? Did it soak up water and take days to dry out? Can the seat be treated with something adequately so as not to need the cover? Thanks for the help.

seadog
09-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Fairly new convert to the Ultimate King which was purchased used through this site (thanks Crazy Horse). Completely love this seat except that I have read that the seat is not water proof. Apparently, the seats are usually shipped new with a rain cover but this one did not come with one. Has anyone here been caught in a good rain without the cover? Did it soak up water and take days to dry out? Can the seat be treated with something adequately so as not to need the cover? Thanks for the help.

Go to their website and call the company and ask if you can purchase a ride on rain cover for your Ultimate King. They maybe have them in stock and could ship you a new one. I rode in the rain with the OEM Honda seat in an all day rain and it was fine. But don't know if the Ultimate has that ability.

rich
09-27-2016, 03:02 PM

I would second the suggestion to get a ride on seat cover, most aftermarket seats are not waterproof but that's what makes them breathable.

Rich

stroguy
09-27-2016, 03:13 PM
I spent 15 minutes in a downpour Saturday returning from the rally. The seat did not soak up any appreciable water. I was riding the next day and there was no moisture. I have the ride-on cover but did not use it.

beppok
09-27-2016, 03:44 PM

Just before going to the rally I put on an Ultimate Mid. The first night at the hotel I neglected to put the cover on it and when I got up in the morning I had puddles of dew on the seat and I mean a lot of puddles. The entire bike was soaked. Wiped it off got on and rode it all day. I didn't really notice any wetness coming back out of the seat but I put the cover on at night for the rest of my stay. They recommend using a cover so I will when leaving it outside but I really had no adverse effects. I bought the seat from a forum member who had obviously treated it with something before I got it because it was pretty slick at first. I don't know if that helped prevent the water from soaking in or not. My two cents worth - get a cover. After saying all that I will probably never use it while riding because then I am the cover and I am waterproof.

Wing'n it
09-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Worried about that? My new seat has a velour top, got a rain cover and it's rolled up in my rain suit figured if I need the suit I need the cover for the seat.

Hornblower
09-27-2016, 05:36 PM
According to Ultimate, a premium grade marine vinyl is used which I would assume is as water-resistant as any OEM seat cover. What is missing is the layer of plastic between the vinyl and foam that many OEM seats have. As most of us have learned, moisture gets inside mainly through the seams. I was overly cautious early on with my Ultimate seat but, due to how difficult it is to get the protective cover on, I wound up skipping the cover altogether without any bad results. That said, I don't normally leave it out in the rain and when traveling, I use a bike cover.

Dave Ritsema
09-27-2016, 05:39 PM
According to Ultimate, a premium grade marine vinyl is used which I would assume is as water-resistant as any OEM seat cover. What is missing is the layer of plastic between the vinyl and foam that many OEM seats have. As most of us have learned, moisture gets inside mainly through the seams. I was overly cautious early on with my Ultimate seat but, due to how difficult it is to get the protective cover on, I wound up skipping the cover altogether without any bad results. That said, I don't normally leave it out in the rain and when traveling, I use a bike cover.

I believe it's the stitching that creates the path for water intrusion.

Steve 0080
09-27-2016, 05:46 PM
I have owned four of their seats and have never had a problem nor have I ever covered one as well.....

Battoo
09-27-2016, 05:51 PM
from what i have heard the stitching and the lack of a plastic inside cover is the reason for covering a Ultimate it may not be a immediate issue but the manufactor recommends covering

willtill
09-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Rub beeswax into the stitching?

rich
09-27-2016, 06:38 PM
There are products that will seal the seams temporarily such as Doc Baileys and protect all, Baileys has a wax byproduct. It seemed to work well on my mustang seat.

Rich

moosedog
09-27-2016, 08:06 PM
My seat is a bit slick as well so I expect it was treated with something. I will contact Ultimate about getting a cover but was curious about some of your actual experiences.

RickJ
09-27-2016, 10:19 PM
There is no room between the seat and the bike to slip the cover under...it was incredibly frustrating. I want to figure out something for when I travel and leave it parked overnight...that dew can get pretty heavy!

willtill
09-28-2016, 05:19 AM
There is no room between the seat and the bike to slip the cover under...it was incredibly frustrating. I want to figure out something for when I travel and leave it parked overnight...that dew can get pretty heavy!

If you have done the "two washers" trick on the front catch of your Ultimate seat; there is room to coax the front of the Ultimate seat's rain cover so it's secured between the front of the seat and the tank. Been there, done it.

The tight spot that I have found is the rear of the Ultimate seat; due to the OEM backrest and luggage rack (if you have one). You can still push the seat cover adequately enough into that area and though it won't completely stretch around the back of the seat; it's enough for protection.

unsub
09-29-2016, 07:39 PM

I'm glad you're asking that question. I was reading their website today and I noticed that they include a rain cover for the seat at no charge, which leads me to believe it's necessary. Cutting up a seat to install a driver's backrest makes me uneasy and a deal breaker if the seat will soak up water. Reading over their documentation it seems to be a concern for them also.

willtill
09-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm glad you're asking that question. I was reading their website today and I noticed that they include a rain cover for the seat at no charge, which leads me to believe it's necessary. Cutting up a seat to install a driver's backrest makes me uneasy and a deal breaker if the seat will soak up water. Reading over their documentation it seems to be a concern for them also.

That's interesting. I had to pay additional for my raincover when I ordered my Ultimate seat. :shhh:

moosedog
09-30-2016, 10:52 PM

I thought that at first too when I started to read about the Ultimate seats. One ride on one though convinced me I would deal with the rain issue one way or another. The seat is that good. If you are still comfortable on the stock seat then stay with it. I made it a year and 12000 miles on the stocker and then made the mistake of trying a friends Ultimate. As reported in this thread, the seat may not be as susceptible to rain as we may think. Perhaps Ultimate is just trying to cover all bases as a responsible company should by including the rain cover. I will buy the cover and enjoy this seat as I enjoy the incredible bike it sits on.

RickJ
09-30-2016, 11:11 PM
That's interesting. I had to pay additional for my raincover when I ordered my Ultimate seat. :shhh:

I THINK it is free if you get the seat and backrest as a package.

JGF6B
10-01-2016, 05:23 AM

Yes, and if you try to force it, the cover rips.
I tried to install my ride on rain cover only for the purpose of learning how to install it...... and I ripped the cover trying to get it between the front of the seat and the bike.
I haven't contacted Ultimate about it because I'm not sure I'll ever need it. I am a fair weather rider:icon_lol:

JGF6B
10-01-2016, 05:25 AM
I THINK it is free if you get the seat and backrest as a package.

I bought the seat with driver's back rest and paid for the rain cover.

Old Ryder
10-01-2016, 06:27 PM
The cover is free if you buy it at a show. It is the "show special discount "