PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust opinions

speedjunkie
09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
So I need more exhaust note from the B. I drilled two 3/4" holes in either one, but that didn't do much. I've gotta have black, so I've narrowed my search to Torq Master, Two Brothers, & Rush. Cobra is out, can't get past the looks. Any opinions on those options? I like the replaceable baffles in the TM & Rush to adjust tone. Any others I've missed or forgotten that are black? A tip that's polished is ok too. Thanks!

Mike

stroguy
09-27-2016, 07:02 PM
I drove Charlie's bike with the Cobra 6 and the drone @2800-3200 was pretty bad. That scares me from any exhaust. I like the 15 factory.

Bighutch14
09-27-2016, 07:04 PM
I drove Charlie's bike with the Cobra 6 and the drone @2800-3200 was pretty bad. That scares me from any exhaust. I like the 15 factory.
Hmmm. I didn't notice the drone when I test rode his bike. Maybe I'm not sure what to listen for. Lol

Redlinez
09-27-2016, 07:37 PM
What about trying the Torqloopz?

speedjunkie
09-27-2016, 08:13 PM
Do loops add tone/volume? How does mother Honda feel about removing the cats while still in warranty?

Mike

seventwenty
09-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Do loops add tone/volume? How does mother Honda feel about removing the cats while still in warranty?

Mike

Not sure about mother Honda but my dealer claims it will void the warranty. I was wanting to start with the Loops and build from there, dealer had never even heard of them.:icon_rolleyes:

speedjunkie
09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Not sure about mother Honda but my dealer claims it will void the warranty. I was wanting to start with the Loops and build from there, dealer had never even heard of them.:icon_rolleyes:

I don't have a local dealer I trust, but could call my selling dealer. I figure I can get away with slip ons, but the cats are unlikely.

Mike

Sorcerer
09-27-2016, 11:10 PM
So I need more exhaust note from the B. I drilled two 3/4" holes in either one, but that didn't do much. I've gotta have black, so I've narrowed my search to Torq Master, Two Brothers, & Rush. Cobra is out, can't get past the looks. Any opinions on those options? I like the replaceable baffles in the TM & Rush to adjust tone. Any others I've missed or forgotten that are black? A tip that's polished is ok too. Thanks!

Mike

If you drilled the end plates of the muffler, then put the tips on with out cutting the stub pipe off or drilling or removing the metal cone from the tip, you locked the sound inside of the muffler tip. On my first B I drilled 3, 1/2" holes in the muffler end plate and the cone area of the tips. Ended up just at the point of being to loud for me. Then I ran a full tank of gas through the bike and discovered that I lost 10 mpg. I covered up all the holes in the muffler end plates then put a single 5/16" hole in each end plate to give it a little tone.

speedjunkie
09-28-2016, 07:02 AM
If you drilled the end plates of the muffler, then put the tips on with out cutting the stub pipe off or drilling or removing the metal cone from the tip, you locked the sound inside of the muffler tip. On my first B I drilled 3, 1/2" holes in the muffler end plate and the cone area of the tips. Ended up just at the point of being to loud for me. Then I ran a full tank of gas through the bike and discovered that I lost 10 mpg. I covered up all the holes in the muffler end plates then put a single 5/16" hole in each end plate to give it a little tone.

My tips have slots cut in the bottom of them from the factory. Figured that was enough to get the sound through. It was a PITA to drill around the little extensions though!

Mike

speedjunkie
10-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Well crap! I'm not a fan of the looks of the 6-2-6, but damn they sound good!

Mike

zzh54
10-01-2016, 08:19 AM
I've had the Rush pipes on the since almost new, got the 2.5 baffles, they have sound but not crazy. This past spring I put the Torq Loops on, a little more sound no more drone.
Gas mileage is about the same as it was.

I put the Loops on because I never had a full helmet, always wore 1/2 helmet, over the summer months I bought a Modular helmet and didn't want the drone to interfere with my first experience of the Modular.

speedjunkie
10-03-2016, 06:47 AM
I've had the Rush pipes on the since almost new, got the 2.5 baffles, they have sound but not crazy. This past spring I put the Torq Loops on, a little more sound no more drone.
Gas mileage is about the same as it was.

I put the Loops on because I never had a full helmet, always wore 1/2 helmet, over the summer months I bought a Modular helmet and didn't want the drone to interfere with my first experience of the Modular.

Thank you sir! I broke down and ordered the Cobras, along with the Ergo III pegs, and a riders backrest.

Mike

Battoo
10-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I have the Cobra 6 2 6 on wifes F6B sounds great I pulled the baffles and it sounds even better

speedjunkie
10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
I have the Cobra 6 2 6 on wifes F6B sounds great I pulled the baffles and it sounds even better

Thanks! I heard a couple clips with all but 2 of the baffles out, NIIIIICE! :icon_twisted: Think I'll start there! Hehehe!

Mike

Sonny
10-03-2016, 09:51 PM
A little advice about the cobras, pull out one baffle at a time and test. They are a pain to put back in if you're not happy.
It took me 30 min. to take them all out and within 30 sec. Into the test ride I knew i messed up. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get 3 back in.

CPTAwesome
10-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Mike

I had Cobra's 6-2-6 in chrome on the bike when I bought it. I was sick of the drone so I started looking around, reading this board for info, etc. I wound up going with black TBR slip ons and torq loops. Now, TBR lists the pipes for $799.98 on their site but I picked them up for $542.80 (weird number right?). I see them on Amazon right now for $560.80 w/ free shipping (fulfilled by Powersport Superstore). I received brand new pipes, no scratches, mars, missing hardware, etc. Whether it was the pipes or the loops, or a combo,.....the drone is gone. I love the throaty Porsche like growl these put out. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PCNFZK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

speedjunkie
10-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys! I'll wait on the loops for now, at least until the warranty is up.

Mike

speedjunkie
10-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Exhaust arrived yesterday and I slipped em on the morning. Pulled one baffle from each, it's all I could get out! Sounds damn good in the drive! Test ride here in a bit!

Mike

Sonny
10-05-2016, 04:07 PM
:clap2:

speedjunkie
10-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Well, the drone at 60 is pretty substantial, my left ear actually has a ring to it. My straight piped shovel is quieter! It's gonna require earplugs at that speed. The drone actually improves at 70 and 80.

Mike

Sonny
10-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Did you pull all of the baffles out?

tinknocker
10-05-2016, 07:22 PM
You don't need to buy to get something black..I drilled 3 7/8" holes in both mufflers and cut out the cones in from the tips.......sound is reasonable and I haven't noticed any drop in gas mileage4461...oven and grill paint..less than $20 invested

speedjunkie
10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Sonny,

I only pulled one baffle in each.

Tin,

I had previously drilled two 3/4" holes but left the little exhaust extension thing. Didn't see the need to remove it since the slanted tip is open at the bottom anyway. Wasn't enough of a difference to make me happy.

Mike

speedjunkie
10-06-2016, 07:03 PM
I put the baffles back in this afternoon and went for a quick ride. It's tolerable at 60 now. Now sure how the kid will feel about it with a full face on, but we'll maybe see this weekend.

Mike

speedjunkie
10-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Kid said too much drone, so early plugs are a must. Fine. Pulled 4 baffles if I gotta wear plugs anyway!

pilotguy299
10-09-2016, 09:28 AM
I actually like how quiet the bike is with the stock pipes. All of the pirates around here have obnoxiously loud pipes, and I don't see how it can be comfortable to listen to on long rides. I've had quite a few people comment on how nice and quiet my bike is. Plus it makes it easier to hear the music.

speedjunkie
10-09-2016, 11:34 AM
It's all subjective. My shovel is loud with straight pipes, but I wear earplugs because of the wind noise, not the exhaust. My twink is real nice with 2.25" baffles, until you start pounding out miles at 75 and above, then earbuds are a must. The fairing cuts too much wind/road noise, and reflects the exhaust note. The wing isn't any different, except the cat they use is very bad about resonance. I can definitely see Torq Loopz in the future.

Mike

Felloverboard
10-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I think this bike has a more quality sound as it comes stock. I like being able to ease up then give them shock and awe as I did some poor child today. Him in his new camaro all black with a few small orange details on the wheels and such. I put his troaty rumble down about 4 spaces by second gear. I think I embarassed him with my quiet bike.

Jimmytee
10-09-2016, 08:39 PM
I really have not had any real desire to make my F6B louder. I honestly have not heard any of the GL1800s with various different exhaust sound as good as the 1500 Valkyrie. I have heard some decent ones, but not quite hit the mark as the 6 into 6. Just my opinion.

I have my Valkyrie with true 6 into 6 exhaust when I want the hot rod sound. :icon_wink:

erazor55
10-09-2016, 08:42 PM
I will agree that the stock F6B is pretty quiet, and refined. I purchased this bike after riding Harley Ultra's for 10 years. I added slip-ons to both Harley's, believing being heard is being seen. I don't have any evidence of such, but thought I might be less visible on my quiet F6B, so I started with Tri-Ovals, then migrated to Cobra 6-2-6. I'll admit I was a little concerned with what I perceived as a loud bike with the Cobra's. But, it's nothing compared to the fairly quiet Rinehart slip-ons on my last Harley. Drone? I think that's a matter of personal perception.

speedjunkie
10-10-2016, 08:50 AM
I don't fully subscribe to the heard to be seen idea. I just prefer my scooters to not sound like a car. Hearing the exhaust is music to my ears.

Mike

BIGLRY
10-10-2016, 01:15 PM
I love my Jekill & Hyde system as I can be quite when needed or wanted:shhh: or sound like a Porch on steroids if the "dress like a pirate" riders need a reminder that I can turn a https://www.tshirtster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Whoop-Ass-Machine-T-shirt.jpg on them any time I want.;groucho;

MO64
10-18-2016, 05:49 PM
I have had my 2015 F6b for a month and during that time have put a 1000 miles on it in mixed interstate and secondary road riding.- What is for certain about the F6b is that the exhaust note from the stock muffler is not quiet. Prior to the F6b, I owned a 2009 Suzuki M90 which was very quiet at all speeds.- I also owed a 2009 Kawasaki Concours with an after-market two-brother’s pipe. The Concours would bark as you went through the gears but would quieten to whisper jet-like at 75-80 miles per hour. The F6b’s standard muffler has a great exhaust note (IMO and that of longtime Harley rider) as you go through the gears. At interstate speeds, the exhaust note continues to let you know it’s there, snarling, begging for a sixth gear to set it free.- I don’t know if the F6b’s exhaust note was changed for the 2015 model, but Goldwing quiet it is not…IMO.--

willtill
10-18-2016, 06:34 PM
This is one bike that does not need exhaust work. It's perfect for the motor. The 2015's+ have a nice warble.

Spend money on something else. :icon_wink: This ain't no Harley.

willtill
10-18-2016, 06:37 PM
I don't fully subscribe to the heard to be seen idea. I just prefer my scooters to not sound like a car. Hearing the exhaust is music to my ears.

Mike

I do subscribe to that. However I do not want to change the exhaust note on the F6B to accommodate that. Maybe playing cards in the wheels... I dunno... but I do miss the presence of aftermarket exhaust (on my past V-Twin's) and the perceptible adjacent traffic reaction to it; when you barked it. I don't get that same response with the F6B. Not a show stopper though... I just have to be extra careful on this bike. It's just too silent in the roar and din of traffic.

James2003x
10-20-2016, 12:36 AM
I don't have a local dealer I trust, but could call my selling dealer. I figure I can get away with slip ons, but the cats are unlikely.

Mike

Buy another set of headers with the cats off ebay then if you need any warranty work done put your originals back on

Chas
10-20-2016, 03:28 PM
I have the Cobras on mine and have had for over a year. I like the sound and see no need to remove baffles. I also would wonder about the change of back pressure causing the ECM to not give the best fuel mileage, like lowering the mileage over all. I will keep mine as they came and recommend them.

speedjunkie
10-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Buy another set of headers with the cats off ebay then if you need any warranty work done put your originals back on

I thought Torq Loopz replaced the shared cat, so no header needed. Is that not right?

Mike

Redlinez
10-20-2016, 06:55 PM
I think the Two Brothers is the best sounding muffler I've heard, but these prices buy the same parts for my 15 Mustang GT!

BIGLRY
10-20-2016, 08:10 PM
I thought Torq Loopz replaced the shared cat, so no header needed. Is that not right?

MikeThat is correct and if you spend a few more ducats you can get a reversal kit that alows you to reinstall the cat if you want to go back to OEM.

speedjunkie
10-20-2016, 08:15 PM
That is correct and if you spend a few more ducats you can get a reversal kit that alows you to reinstall the cat if you want to go back to OEM.

???? We're still talking Loopz, right?

Mike

BIGLRY
10-20-2016, 08:24 PM
???? We're still talking Loopz, right?

MikeYes, Jimmy makes a connector with clamps you can buy when you buy his Loopz that allows you to reinstall the cat if you want, he told me when I talked to him that he don't sell many of them and I did not buy the kit either. I bought my Loopz several years ago so I don't know for sure if he is still offering the cat reinstall kit for sale.

James2003x
10-20-2016, 11:42 PM
I love my Jekill & Hyde system as I can be quite when needed or wanted:shhh: or sound like a Porch on steroids if the "dress like a pirate" riders need a reminder that I can turn a https://www.tshirtster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Whoop-Ass-Machine-T-shirt.jpg on them any time I want.;groucho;

I was able to hear that system on a floor model at Southern Honda. Man sounded GREAT... But no way I would spend two grand on an exhaust.

speedjunkie
10-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks Larry!

Mike

BIGLRY
10-21-2016, 12:36 PM
I was able to hear that system on a floor model at Southern Honda. Man sounded GREAT... But no way I would spend two grand on an exhaust.
Yea, I have not heard any other aftermarket exhaust system that even sounds close to the Jekill & Hyde system with Loopz on an F6B and after all if I did not spend my discretionary funds on my toys what am I to do .....take it with me? :icon_lol:

Hartleyf6b
11-26-2016, 05:33 AM
When I bought the B in August, the dealer had a 2016 with the Cobra 6 into 6 pipes sitting on the showroom. He started it up and I fell in love. Having maxed my budget to get the B, I didn't have an extra $700 for the Cobra's. Searching on line, I found the for $100 less a couple weeks later and decided the budget could take the hit. Absolutely love the sound when not on the bike but about blew my eardrums out with the drone in my full face helmet. I Kept doing research and read a lot about the Torq Loopz but kept hoping for a miracle that the drone would become "acceptable" the more I rode. It didn't. Ordered the Loopz last week and had time Thanksgiving morning to install them before I had to be in the kitchen to make a spectacular meal. What a difference!!! NO MORE DRONE! I only had time for a short ride up and down the block but I could tell right away the drone was replace by a low, sweet, rumble that I was hoping for. It took me just under 3 hours to get the cat out and the loopz in and I think the worst part of the installation was getting the lower right side cover (the long one behind the brake pedal) to go back on. Pictures included with the directions could use some improvements but over all pretty easy installation. Well worth the $$$ if you have aftermarket pipes and like me, always wear a helmet (I prefer full face) and feel like your heads about to explode from the drone. THANKS TORQ LOOPZ!

RickW
11-26-2016, 07:24 AM
When I bought the B in August, the dealer had a 2016 with the Cobra 6 into 6 pipes sitting on the showroom. He started it up and I fell in love. Having maxed my budget to get the B, I didn't have an extra $700 for the Cobra's. Searching on line, I found the for $100 less a couple weeks later and decided the budget could take the hit. Absolutely love the sound when not on the bike but about blew my eardrums out with the drone in my full face helmet. I Kept doing research and read a lot about the Torq Loopz but kept hoping for a miracle that the drone would become "acceptable" the more I rode. It didn't. Ordered the Loopz last week and had time Thanksgiving morning to install them before I had to be in the kitchen to make a spectacular meal. What a difference!!! NO MORE DRONE! I only had time for a short ride up and down the block but I could tell right away the drone was replace by a low, sweet, rumble that I was hoping for. It took me just under 3 hours to get the cat out and the loopz in and I think the worst part of the installation was getting the lower right side cover (the long one behind the brake pedal) to go back on. Pictures included with the directions could use some improvements but over all pretty easy installation. Well worth the $$$ if you have aftermarket pipes and like me, always wear a helmet (I prefer full face) and feel like your heads about to explode from the drone. THANKS TORQ LOOPZ!

We put together a video with sound for the Torq Loopz (http://store.valueaccessories.net/TorqLoopzHondaGL1800.aspx). May help anyone that wonders what the sound is like. We have another video on the product page that shows installation, definitely helps to give you a better ideal of exactly how the installation is performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuIfsnKpBw

Hartleyf6b
11-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Rick,

I listened all the video's out on the web before I bought the Cobra's (and then the Torq Loopz). What you can't find is one with the sound you get once you put a helmet on. After I installed the Cobra's I took it for a short ride (maybe 1/2 mile) with out a helmet and it sounds fine. I've always ridden with a full face helmet and once you dawn that "special piece of equipment" WOW, it's a killer. I tired wedging my MP3 player into my helmet before I installed the loops just so I could post the sound change if there was any. Unfortunately after 3 attempts at recording I decided I was too cold to continue (29 degrees in North West Iowa) and just installed them. Like I said, the change was amazing and I'm thankful I installed the Loopz rather than put up with the drone or go back to stock exhaust. As a selling feature, how about making a recording while riding of before and after with a microphone inside a helmet? You might kill the slip on pipe aftermarket (for a while) but any one (like me) that already has them and is trying to figure out what to do next would pick your product in a heartbeat and share it with everyone they know.

DTOM
11-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Rick,

I listened all the video's out on the web before I bought the Cobra's (and then the Torq Loopz). What you can't find is one with the sound you get once you put a helmet on. After I installed the Cobra's I took it for a short ride (maybe 1/2 mile) with out a helmet and it sounds fine. I've always ridden with a full face helmet and once you dawn that "special piece of equipment" WOW, it's a killer. I tired wedging my MP3 player into my helmet before I installed the loops just so I could post the sound change if there was any. Unfortunately after 3 attempts at recording I decided I was too cold to continue (29 degrees in North West Iowa) and just installed them. Like I said, the change was amazing and I'm thankful I installed the Loopz rather than put up with the drone or go back to stock exhaust. As a selling feature, how about making a recording while riding of before and after with a microphone inside a helmet? You might kill the slip on pipe aftermarket (for a while) but any one (like me) that already has them and is trying to figure out what to do next would pick your product in a heartbeat and share it with everyone they know.

Thanks for the info, Hartley. The B I bought already had Two Bros exhaust and the drone at a particular RPM range with full helmet is downright annoying, exhausting, disappointing, etc. I've been debating with myself for a couple of months. Do I get the loopz or go back to the stock exhaust? I had heard that the loopz do wonders for the drone, but I've been skeptical. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm leaning more and more toward the loopz.

stratochile
11-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Hi Rick.....are you having a cyber Monday sale???

53driver
12-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Rick,

After some minor intellectual masturbation, this is the recording by HartleyF6B from inside a full face helmet, with the visor up.
His narrative begins at about the 20 second mark...

https://youtu.be/rq2yQsHjFU8

gregj
12-09-2016, 07:56 AM
I recently put the Loopz on with a set of TBR I got from a member here. LOVE THEM!!! and the Loopz removed the drone.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10054-TBR-and-Torque-Loopz