PDA

View Full Version : New member thinking about an F6B

Eric R.
09-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi guys, I am currently trying to sell my 2010 Nomad which I bought new six years ago. I am debating replacing it with either an F6B or a Triumph Rocket three touring.
I am mainly a solo rider, but my wife may join me for short rides.
I had been determined to have ABS on my next bike, and I was very disappointed to learn the F6B does not offer them. The Rocket has ABS.
I know the F6B has the linked braking system, which is somewhat of an improvement.
I am not a gadget nut, which is one of the things about the Rocket that appeals to me. It's all business. But, I also like the extra weather protection that the Honda offers.
How do you guys feel about the lack of ABS? Obviously, you are all owners, but do you think this one issue should be a disqualifier? Am I making too big a deal over the brakes?
I've been reading about the paint issues on older models. Hopefully, this is not an issue any more.
If I had the Honda, I would only add front pegs and a taller shield. Same as the Rocket.
Thanks for any opinions, Eric

lloydmoore1
09-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Good choices .
I too came from a nomad. had it 7 yrs and only replaced brakes, tires, oil and oh yes the neck bearing. The F6b will stop on a dime period so no worries about the brakes.
If you had the chance to test drive both bikes your choice would and will be the F6B.
good luck

Ixol Phaane
09-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the board, Eric R.

The F6B is really really hard to beat. I've had mine for 2 years and 46,000 miles. Some have called it the Best. Bike. Ever. :icon_biggrin:

No, it doesn't have ABS... but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. I think the linked brakes are more than adequate when you gotta brake this beast down. Very solid. Braking is a non-issue for most of us here, I think.

As for the paint... it seems the '13s were the worst, and lots of owners were pretty vocal. I have no complaint about my '14. And the complaints seem to have died down. Just know that with the big painted panels on this bike, liquid waxes and sealants are your friend.

There are several folks on the forum who had or still have Rockets... but guess which bike gets most of their attention. And if your wife is gonna ride with you, it doesn't get better than a Gold Wing. There's no comparison.

53driver
09-28-2016, 09:26 AM
How do you guys feel about the lack of ABS? Obviously, you are all owners, but do you think this one issue should be a disqualifier? Am I making too big a deal over the brakes?

Eric,
Welcome to the Forums - or the "B Hive" as some refer to it.
As an MSF instructor, I see lots of different bikes in the Level 2 Courses - some ABS, some not.
Having taken all the Level 2 classes on the 6, I will tell you that I can achieve threshold braking on the 6 and stop more effectively than many people I've seen with ABS bikes.
In fact, after a particularly quick stop with no skidding, the Rider Coach held me up and started looking for the ABS timing ring on my front tire!
When he didn't find it, he yelled "I thought all Gold Wings had ABS?!"
I responded "Not me!"
After the exercise was finished, he came over and said "No, really. No ABS? Because that was a helluva stop."
I smiled, and replied "No. Really. I'm just that good."

The key to stopping a bike is intimate familiarity and practice.
Definitely not a "deal breaker" unless you ride infrequently, have no desire to improve, and have sloppy braking habits.
Time for more coffee!

Cheers,
Steve

Eric R.
09-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Good choices .
I too came from a nomad. had it 7 yrs and only replaced brakes, tires, oil and oh yes the neck bearing. The F6b will stop on a dime period so no worries about the brakes.
If you had the chance to test drive both bikes your choice would and will be the F6B.
good luck

Hi Lloyd, what makes you say that I would choose the F6B so readily over the Rocket touring?
From everything I've read, the r3t is a highly refined machine.
My Nomad has been trouble free. I'm getting older and am feeling cramped on it more.

opas ride
09-28-2016, 10:44 AM
ABS brakes, or the lack thereof, would not be any deal breaker for me and it was not...Had them on my Victory Vision and the F6B stops just as good, if not better, in the riding situations I find my self in....The Trimuph Rocket is a nice bike, but very few dealers around here know much about them when it comes to service, etc...I would buy the F6B in a heartbeat over the III as it a great bike in most things that riders need..plus, better wind protection, smoother, and has plenty of power for two-up riding.....JMHO

53driver
09-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi Lloyd, what makes you say that I would choose the F6B so readily over the Rocket touring?
My Nomad has been trouble free. I'm getting older and am feeling cramped on it more.

I concur the Triumph is a nice machine....it was on my short list.
However, having ridden both, it's more of an apples and oranges comparison.
As you mentioned, the shelter of an F6B vs the R3T is superior - better for touring.
But the main difference in my experience was the center of gravity differences; the R3T has a much higher CG.
I usually travel solo at 220 lbs and the F6B ease of turns and handling was better than the Triumph's at slow speeds.
At fast speeds, depending upon if you lean the bike or move it underneath you, I felt the "heaviness" of the R3 in the lean.

I consider the R3 more of a street fighter and the F6B the heavy cruiser/bagger.

Ride both, see what YOU feel, because in the end, that's what matters!
Cheers,
Steve

Ixol Phaane
09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I found this out on the Interwebs...

TopSpeed Review - 2016 Triumph Rocket III (http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/triumph/2016-triumph-rocket-iii-ar171041.html) - includes a slight comparison w our own F6B.

wjduke
09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Eric, I'm from Mass...you want to try my mine, I can make that happen. I just did 3,700 miles to Maggie Valley, NC and back last week, and I could go again today. Bought it last November, over 20,000 miles and I smile at it every mile. I came from an M109. I never rode a Triumph, can't compare. I don't see how you wouldn't like this bike. If you want smooth, quiet, and balls, this should do it.

I'm Wayne. Text me at 508-353-7748 if you want a test ride. Palmer is a hike, but I like hikes.

lloydmoore1
09-28-2016, 11:02 AM

because the F6B rides so much lighter like a ten speed bicycle on steroids and the Rocket all though a great bike still rides like a mountain bike on steroids. After coming from the nomad you will recognize that and pick the B.

Eric R.
09-28-2016, 01:18 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies so far. I got a thing for the r3t because it reminds me somewhat of my 98 Valkyrie tourer when I had it.
I am familiar with the Wings low center of gravity. The Triumph salesman that I spoke with says the r3t's cog is low also due to its 40 lb crankshaft. But with those three huge cylinders pointing upwards, it's got to make it more top heavy than the f6b I would think.
Sitting on the rocket felt like sitting on an elephant. I really like it though.
After we went to the triumph dealer we went to a Honda dealer to look at the F6B. They had a white 15 on the floor. I did not try it out but they started it up for me.
I do want to get away from the top-heavy feel of my nomad. I wish I could have sold it this fall but I have had no luck yet.

53driver
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies so far. I got a thing for the r3t because it reminds me somewhat of my 98 Valkyrie tourer when I had it.
I am familiar with the Wings low center of gravity. The Triumph salesman that I spoke with says the r3t's cog is low also due to its 40 lb crankshaft. But with those three huge cylinders pointing upwards, it's got to make it more top heavy than the f6b I would think.
Sitting on the rocket felt like sitting on an elephant. I really like it though.
After we went to the triumph dealer we went to a Honda dealer to look at the F6B. They had a white 15 on the floor. I did not try it out but they started it up for me.
I do want to get away from the top-heavy feel of my nomad. I wish I could have sold it this fall but I have had no luck yet.

That nearly 6 gallon gas tank is also up high......
Draw a line from axle to axle on each bike and relatively measure how far up the weight is.....including passenger and storage.

Cheers,
Steve

Redlinez
09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
I thought I wanted a Kawasaki Vtwin cruiser and rode the Voyager thinking it was a done deal because I rode a 06 Nomad several months back. I then rode my first Harley test ride, the Road King. I liked the Road King quite a bit better than the Kawi but couldn't get it financed with my negative equity. So I bought my second F6B and won't be looking back. Great handling bike with a lot more power than anything like it. Very practical with plenty of storage, stereo, 87 octane, etc. I got 42-44mpg on my last one.

lake_carl
09-28-2016, 02:21 PM
I took a 20 year break from owning bikes, mid July went shopping with half of planned riding being 2 up started looking at sport touring bikes and I liked to look of the f6b. Now after 5000 miles of owning it is still am not comfortable enough to get anywhere near max corner speed out of it, but am extremely impressed how well the bike brakes even mid corner with decent lean and stay on line. Smooth is understatement

Milkmaster
09-28-2016, 02:57 PM
What brand of tires are on the F6B when new?

53driver
09-28-2016, 03:27 PM
What brand of tires are on the F6B when new?

Bridgestone

98valk
09-28-2016, 04:25 PM
I found this out on the Interwebs...

TopSpeed Review - 2016 Triumph Rocket III (http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/triumph/2016-triumph-rocket-iii-ar171041.html) - includes a slight comparison w our own F6B.

That was an interesting article. It makes me want a bigger garage.

They really cut the horsepower down on the touring model! From 148hp to 106hp! I don't get that. :shrug: That turns what in theory would be a potential buy into a dud for me. :icon_frown:

I'll keep my flat 6. :yes:

VStarRider
09-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi guys, I am currently trying to sell my 2010 Nomad which I bought new six years ago. I am debating replacing it with either an F6B or a Triumph Rocket three touring.
I am mainly a solo rider, but my wife may join me for short rides.
I had been determined to have ABS on my next bike, and I was very disappointed to learn the F6B does not offer them. The Rocket has ABS.
I know the F6B has the linked braking system, which is somewhat of an improvement.
I am not a gadget nut, which is one of the things about the Rocket that appeals to me. It's all business. But, I also like the extra weather protection that the Honda offers.
I've been reading about the paint issues on older models. Hopefully, this is not an issue any more.
If I had the Honda, I would only add front pegs and a taller shield. Same as the Rocket.

Eric, in July 2015, I knew I had outgrown my 1100 VStar. I started to research touring bikes that didn't look like RVs (like the full Gold Wing...fugly).

By October, I was down to two, in this order:

1.) Victory Cross Country Tour
2.) Honda F6B

I pulled into a Victory dealer in the first week of October last year and it was love at first sight on the Vic XC Tour. Beautiful gloss black. Salesman was great; he went over the machine, explaining the ABS, cruise, etc. This bike had everything I wanted. I was leaning against getting another twin, but with so many other features and bottomless storage on the Vic, it was tops on my list.

I cut the test ride short and went to the Honda dealer, five miles away, and bought a leftover '13 black F6B.

I gave up ABS, cruise, tons of storage and an awesome cruiser look to go with the F6B (good looking in its own way).

I felt the Vic had quality control issues. For a $22k bike, things seemed cheap. Too much vibration and crudeness to justify this much cake to be spent. I am sure it is engineered for the Harley buyer but not for me. A great bike - tons of storage, good comfort, lots of features, tons of foot room, etc.

I had a a helluva deal on the table too - the dealer was basically gonna let it go for $18k plus two trade ins (snowmobile and my old Star, paying retail for both)...but I walked.

The flat-six got me...hook, line and sinker. I gave up all of that to ride a bike that, at 55 mph, is like driving your car with the two driver's side windows half open. No vibration, smooth jet-like power, effortless handling (yes, effortless, even at 900 lbs). This bike is just easy to ride and a comfortable way to get one's knees in the breeze.

I have never ridden a Triumph, but I certainly understand your attraction. They are beauties. 2300cc, correct? Awesome.

Another thing - the flat six dates back 20+ years, a simple SOHC two-valve per cylinder design. It is NOT a sophisticated power plant; just extremely oversized for a 900 lb bike. Therefore, it is bulletproof reliable and practically maintenance free. This is not BS from a biased owner; this bike needs basically nothing. Just go ride it. I barely wash mine.

Good luck, and this forum has a plethora of information if you decide to go with the Honda.

Eric R.
09-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Eric, I'm from Mass...you want to try my mine, I can make that happen. I just did 3,700 miles to Maggie Valley, NC and back last week, and I could go again today. Bought it last November, over 20,000 miles and I smile at it every mile. I came from an M109. I never rode a Triumph, can't compare. I don't see how you wouldn't like this bike. If you want smooth, quiet, and balls, this should do it.

I'm Wayne. Text me at 508-353-7748 if you want a test ride. Palmer is a hike, but I like hikes.

Thank you for the friendly offer Wayne. I am familiar with the gl1800 feel because I also owned an 03 for three years. I am wanting to get away from the v twin now, and back to a more upright seating style. I am not ready to buy prolly till spring, and I don't seem to be getting any offers on my Nomad. I guess it's too late in the season.

wjduke
09-29-2016, 06:47 AM
Thank you for the friendly offer Wayne. I am familiar with the gl1800 feel because I also owned an 03 for three years. I am wanting to get away from the v twin now, and back to a more upright seating style. I am not ready to buy prolly till spring, and I don't seem to be getting any offers on my Nomad. I guess it's too late in the season.
If you pull the trigger, I'd love to take trip out that way. Awesome riding with 6's. Down in Maggie there was 4 of us and I was the only guy.

53driver
09-29-2016, 08:47 AM
If you pull the trigger, I'd love to take trip out that way. Awesome riding with 6's. Down in Maggie there was 4 of us and I was the only guy.

Wayne - Did you get your membership in the F6B BABC FB page for that? :icon_mrgreen: