PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Mic O, Rivco Aero Blades, Kuryakyn Ergo III pegs so expensive?

terryboyle
09-28-2016, 08:45 AM
A buddy has the Rivco pegs and they just fit so well I want to get a set.
Checked our sponsor Wingstuff: $299.99.
So I look at the Ergo III pegs, they have to be more reasonable. Sure they are - $287.99.
Ergo II looks like a bargain at $198.99 but they are chrome and don't suit the aesthetic of my F6B.

Are these things made out of Unobtainium or Vibranium Steel alloy (like Captain America's shield)?:banghead:

Does anyone have a set they would like to sell because they were not what you wanted?

wjduke
09-28-2016, 08:50 AM
You just missed a black Rivco set for sale...they must be gone. A few guys were on them. I have the Rivco's at full price and wouldn't change a thing.

53driver
09-28-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm with Wayne - I paid full price for the black Aeros and never looked back.

They way they blend with the frame when stowed and the "blade look" when they are deployed is aesthetically very pleasing.
I don't like things that hang off...unless it's for my Harley.

Cheers,
Steve

DTOM
09-28-2016, 10:28 AM
I've heard on long trips that the Rivco blades get a little uncomfortable due to their lack of surrface area for the feet to rest on. Has anyone had this issue?

wjduke
09-28-2016, 10:58 AM
I've heard on long trips that the Rivco blades get a little uncomfortable due to their lack of surrface area for the feet to rest on. Has anyone had this issue?
I use mine strictly for leg reposition. 5 miles later, I'm back on the pegs. I couldn't use them for long stretches. The pegs are fine for me most of the time.

53driver
09-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Done a few 1000+ mile trips. No issues here.
Have a 30" inseam and size 9 feet so my boot heel hits them in a good spot for me.
However, I use them as an alternate - not a primary.
I also put my heels on them to stretch out my hamstrings.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Ixol Phaane
09-28-2016, 11:07 AM
I use mine strictly for leg reposition. 5 miles later, I'm back on the pegs. I couldn't use them for long stretches. The pegs are fine for me most of the time.

+1

1951vbs
09-28-2016, 06:46 PM
RIVCO is a great value at $299. Well worth it. Highly machined. Functional and look killer. Have you ever bought Harley aftermarket stuff?
I use mine a lot to alleviate the arthritis pain in my hips. Did some 1000+ miles days because of them....and my Russel seat!

stroguy
09-28-2016, 06:56 PM

PLUS ZWEI.

F6BPDX
09-28-2016, 10:15 PM
A buddy has the Rivco pegs and they just fit so well I want to get a set.
Checked our sponsor Wingstuff: $299.99.
So I look at the Ergo III pegs, they have to be more reasonable. Sure they are - $287.99.
Ergo II looks like a bargain at $198.99 but they are chrome and don't suit the aesthetic of my F6B.

Are these things made out of Unobtainium or Vibranium Steel alloy (like Captain America's shield)?:banghead:

Does anyone have a set they would like to sell because they were not what you wanted?

Hey Terry, I have a set of black Ergo II with the mini arms that don't work for me. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can hash out a price.

Brasco
09-28-2016, 11:01 PM

Terry, I faced the same dilemma and wanted the Rivco pegs but they were on backorder at the time and are pretty pricey. I was also a bit concerned about damage potential (however unlikely) with a tip over with the pegs extended. I chose to go with the Ergo II and just got them powder coated flat black. Like Steve, I wasn't thrilled about getting pegs that 'hang off' the engine guard given the streamlined look of the B. But now that I have them they look just fine IMHO and work well. Really came in handy on a 4,000 mile seven state tour this August.

RuneRider66
09-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Terry! Get the Rivco Aero pegs!!! You will will be satisfied! I have had them on the Rune for 50k miles and its the only mod that I cant do without. Long trips uncomfortable? BS!!
I almost use the pegs as my footpegs period. I bet I used mine on the rune 80 percent of the time. Even in the twisties. They look as if they were made for the bike. Its a nice clean look. They have 3 adjustments and should provide you with great comfort and enjoyment. I love them!

willtill
09-29-2016, 04:39 AM
Terry, I faced the same dilemma and wanted the Rivco pegs but they were on backorder at the time and are pretty pricey. I was also a bit concerned about damage potential (however unlikely) with a tip over with the pegs extended. I chose to go with the Ergo II and just got them powder coated flat black. Like Steve, I wasn't thrilled about getting pegs that 'hang off' the engine guard given the streamlined look of the B. But now that I have them they look just fine IMHO and work well. Really came in handy on a 4,000 mile seven state tour this August.

I have the Ergo III's and am concerned about the possible damage to the valve covers as well; if the bike decided to lay on it's side.

I don't think that the clamping force on the engine guards is strong enough to keep them from rotating upward into the valve covers; if they strike the pavement with force.

53driver
09-29-2016, 09:24 AM

There are several reports on the GW forums about the a bike getting tipped over with the pegs extended and with the original Aero's installed, there was valve cover damage.
The new pegs are "notched" to keep that from happening.
I have the originals, so I got my muscle memory to close them nearly all the way at speeds below 20 mph as a habit now.
Cheers,
Steve

There! All better!
Thread response...Take 2!

RickJ
09-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I did tip over with the old pegs (don't ask!) and suffered no damage to the VC, the good news is I could get the replacement arm in the new config- with the peg to extend) really helps. Oh..on the tip-over, ever hear that little voice that says "maybe you should __________ before you___________ and you ignore it??? well DON'T. Usually I listen...

[edit] I say I had "original" aero, I assumed that the no extended tip for swinging out with foot is "original"]