PDA

View Full Version : Is the F6B a heater during the summer?

Milkmaster
09-29-2016, 12:29 PM
It is an understatement that my Honda ST1300 is a very hot ride during the summer. The seat gets hot and the air off the motor and radiator pretty much cook a rider during over 80 degree days. So tell me how the F6B is in that regard? Does it roast your chestnuts during the summer from the engine heat?

Steve 0080
09-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Nope !

Battoo
09-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Not that I have noticed

BIGLRY
09-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Nope and one nice feature of the fan in the cooling system is air is blown out and away from the faring when the fans come on so hot air is not pushed on the rider or passanger.

kenny urban
09-29-2016, 01:17 PM
It is an understatement that my Honda ST1300 is a very hot ride during the summer. The seat gets hot and the air off the motor and radiator pretty much cook a rider during over 80 degree days. So tell me how the F6B is in that regard? Does it roast your chestnuts during the summer from the engine heat?also the fans blow out the front of the bike while it is sitting still and up to I THINK 5 miles an Hour,, then the air IS coming thru the radiators during riding and blows out the sides,, the F6B has a NEW radiator EXIT design,, It is different that the Goldwing,, check-it out,,
KennyU

DMAGOLDRDR
09-29-2016, 01:20 PM
One nice thing about the Wings being encased in plastic is to channel heat through the bike and not onto the rider.

The only heat you will feel is at some slower speeds the heat from the radiators will come around the Fairing, but it is very minimal.

Circle-5
09-29-2016, 02:01 PM
When compared to a Harley or Rocket III, the engine heat is surprisingly well-channeled away from the rider. The F6B is a cool bike, in more ways than one.

BIGLRY
09-29-2016, 02:07 PM
When compared to a Harley or Rocket III, the engine heat is surprisingly well-channeled away from the rider. The F6B is a cool bike, in more ways than one. +1

Hodgey1
09-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Completed 1,100 miles last month on a slow speed tour of PA with my F6B, in the upper 80's and low 90's everyday and no hot chestnuts. The hot air is blown out the sides of the fairing, from the radiators, like other have stated. It works very well at keeping the heat away from the boys.

lake_carl
09-29-2016, 03:17 PM
I purchased mine in July and here in mid missouri the July august and even Sept much warmer than normal rode because it new to me many miles with heat index over 100 and was the coolest motorcycle I have ever rode in b those conditions

Rudy
09-29-2016, 03:32 PM
As mentioned above the 6B does a good job at getting the heat away from the rider. Not an issue. I sold me ST1300 after only owning it for no more than 45 days. The heat coming of that bike was unbearable.

speedjunkie
09-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Don't ride one of the new HD with the new 107 watercooled engines then. It makes the Wing look like a toaster oven!

Mike

stroguy
09-29-2016, 04:01 PM
This is South TEXAS calling Tennessee.........so much easier to summer ride than my VSTAR. Baker handwings make it even more of a breeze. Have no fear.

RWS0292
09-29-2016, 04:05 PM
It is an understatement that my Honda ST1300 is a very hot ride during the summer. The seat gets hot and the air off the motor and radiator pretty much cook a rider during over 80 degree days. So tell me how the F6B is in that regard? Does it roast your chestnuts during the summer from the engine heat?

I live in Tampa and I ride all through the summer. The heat from the road is much more noticeable than any heat from the bike itself. I think you will be happy with the way the heat drafts away from the rider. My wife rides with me frequently and she doesn't get heat from the exhaust either. It really is a well designed bike from that standpoint. Add a windshield with a vent and I think you will be very pleased. My Slingshot on the other hand is like an oven... :)

Jimmytee
09-29-2016, 04:29 PM
I got a friend who rides Valkyries ( he has 3). I have one right now. He , at one time, bought a Gold Wing, and said he couldn't get used to how hot he was riding it in the summer. I don't know, I told him, I don't notice any of what he described on my F6B. :shrug:

MisterB
09-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Sold my ST1300 and got the F6B a week later, no heat sneaking up through the front of the seat and no tip-overs on the F6B!
No electric windshield, but that's one less thing to break.
I use seat beads on the stock seat and have no butt sweat.
It lacks some of the fancy features of other bikes but makes up for it with an absolutely luxurious ride.

Redlinez
09-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Funny you should ask this. I traded in a 15 Ninja 1000 that would burn my shins even at 80mph unless I rode bowlegged. Anything over 87 or so degrees outside and the heat was intense.

VStarRider
09-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Yep, x16 above. You would think heat would be an issue with such a big motor, but I have NEVER felt heat on my legs or anywhere else.

There is a stream of engine heat coming from the radiators that run along side the bike, getting pulled away in the wind as it goes around the fairing. From either side of your quadriceps, that stream of warm air is about 8 inches outside of the pocket of air you sit in.

Wanna warm up your left hand on a cool morning? Just stick it out about a foot from your body!

kenny urban
09-30-2016, 02:21 PM
It is an understatement that my Honda ST1300 is a very hot ride during the summer. The seat gets hot and the air off the motor and radiator pretty much cook a rider during over 80 degree days. So tell me how the F6B is in that regard? Does it roast your chestnuts during the summer from the engine heat?FYI Only,,the GL1500 in 98, had a 2-inch tall cap, that would screw-onto the lower vent by your KNEEs,,It had a little 12V motor,, it would trap the heat, and fins on the duct, would blow warmth onto your knees in the winter,, and out the side during the summer, it was a neat design. KennyU

Sonny
09-30-2016, 04:49 PM
This is my first bike with a faring and it's not any more noticeable than my hd. I asked the wife she said f6 is a lot cooler for her.Living in south Mississippi, I'm used to sweating my butt off anyways.

Old Ryder
09-30-2016, 05:21 PM
I didn't know how much until I rotated them to get some air flow. Boy was that a mistake. Air moving around the engine makes heat in the summer.

TandemGeek
09-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Yes, I know.... Zombie thread.

However, after being out on the F6B this past weekend and riding it for the first time with temps back in the upper 80's and 90's I will say that I was amazed by how much heat the radiators put off. There was plenty of cool air to be had, but I had to put my arm through a 12" curtain of hot bleed air coming out of the radiators to confirm that I wasn't riding in Death Valley. Wow, I had no idea! My 1998 CBR1100XX was water cooled and would get hot, but a t speed it was evacuated quite nicely through two huge vents on either side of the bike.

Our CVO with it's 110" air cooled motor puts out an insane amount of heat, registering 400°F+ at the rear exhaust header with oil temps pushing close to 285°F. Of course, on the Harley its a very concentrated heat issue in that it's your thighs, tweeners and passengers lower legs that get cooked, and I do mean cooked on a hot day. Upper body, head, etc. all get to bask in the ambient air flow.

Not so on the F6B; the envelope of heat that surrounds the rider and passenger is really quite amazing, and not in a great way. Not sure I'm ready to hang a bunch of wind deflectors on the bike to address it so I'll be doing a lot more research to see how best to address it without resorting to plastic farkle.

Oh, my fix for the 110" -- after only making margin reductions in the heat via changing out the intake & exhaust, putting "screens" in the lower air deflectors to increase air flow past the engine, etc. -- is a recent decision to sell the CVO and replace it with a Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU) sporting the water-cooled Milwaukee 8 engine...

... wait for it, because my wife just likes the Harleys. Yup, it it was me we'd use the F6B for our road trips or add a NOS 40th Annniv. GL1800 to the stable for our two-up road trips but she says no way: we have to have a Harley!

Any, I had to search long and hard to come up with something to complain about on the F6B: this is all I got. Not too bad, we'll just harden-the-f-up" and deal with it like we have with the other hot bikes we own or previously owned.

cueman
09-18-2017, 07:58 PM
maybe the new models will have optional Air conditioning! :crackup: cueman

TandemGeek
09-18-2017, 08:16 PM
maybe the new models will have optional Air conditioning! :crackup: cueman

Careful.... I don't think anyone saw the airbags coming. 'gw-smiley'

:039:

Wavalk
09-18-2017, 11:10 PM
I recently returned from a ride to Vegas. It was 114 degrees between Reno and Vegas. I didn't notice any heat from the bike. My buddies on their harleys sure felt the heat. One was complaining that his leg was burnt.

unsub
09-19-2017, 02:05 AM

However, after being out on the F6B this past weekend and riding it for the first time with temps back in the upper 80's and 90's I will say that I was amazed by how much heat the radiators put off. There was plenty of cool air to be had, but I had to put my arm through a 12" curtain of hot bleed air coming out of the radiators to confirm that I wasn't riding in Death Valley. Wow, I had no idea! My 1998 CBR1100XX was water cooled and would get hot, but a t speed it was evacuated quite nicely through two huge vents on either side of the bike.

Our CVO with it's 110" air cooled motor puts out an insane amount of heat, registering 400°F+ at the rear exhaust header with oil temps pushing close to 285°F. Of course, on the Harley its a very concentrated heat issue in that it's your thighs, tweeners and passengers lower legs that get cooked, and I do mean cooked on a hot day. Upper body, head, etc. all get to bask in the ambient air flow.

Not so on the F6B; the envelope of heat that surrounds the rider and passenger is really quite amazing, and not in a great way. Not sure I'm ready to hang a bunch of wind deflectors on the bike to address it so I'll be doing a lot more research to see how best to address it without resorting to plastic farkle.

Oh, my fix for the 110" -- after only making margin reductions in the heat via changing out the intake & exhaust, putting "screens" in the lower air deflectors to increase air flow past the engine, etc. -- is a recent decision to sell the CVO and replace it with a Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU) sporting the water-cooled Milwaukee 8 engine...

... wait for it, because my wife just likes the Harleys. Yup, it it was me we'd use the F6B for our road trips or add a NOS 40th Annniv. GL1800 to the stable for our two-up road trips but she says no way: we have to have a Harley!

Any, I had to search long and hard to come up with something to complain about on the F6B: this is all I got. Not too bad, we'll just harden-the-f-up" and deal with it like we have with the other hot bikes we own or previously owned.

Well I just completed 700 miles in just over 12 hours with ambient temps reaching 100+ and I don't share your observations.....did you try taking it out of 1st? :icon_mrgreen:

TandemGeek
09-19-2017, 07:42 AM
To be fair, our freeway / highway time on the bike has been minimal as we're between road trips. So my observations are based on urban riding at urban riding speeds with stops at traffic lights and sitting in traffic on the afternoon commute home.

I have no doubt that when crusing along at freeway speeds it's far less noticeable. But by design, radiators draw heat out of coolant and that heat has to go somewhere.

Again, it was an unexpected discovery having been away from water cooled motorcycles for the past 7 years. My BMW oil heads and the air cooled Harleys definitely generate a bunch of heat as well, such is the nature of machines with large displacement engines.

TandemGeek
09-19-2017, 07:52 AM
My buddies on their harleys sure felt the heat. One was complaining that his leg was burnt.

No doubt. We've ridden our CVO 110 Road King to Key West the past three years in July and if you don't position your leg just right the engine heat even cruising along at 80 with 95°F + ambient will give you a 1st degree burn through denim. It's the one thing that there is no fix for other than moving to a water cooled Harley which is our next move.

Yes, I tried to sell my wife on just using F6B as our only big bike and also attempted to woo her with a 40th anniv GL1800. No dice, she likes the Harleys.

53driver
09-19-2017, 09:06 AM
No doubt. We've ridden our CVO 110 Road King to Key West the past three years in July and if you don't position your leg just right the engine heat even cruising along at 80 with 95°F + ambient will give you a 1st degree burn through denim. It's the one thing that there is no fix for other than moving to a water cooled Harley which is our next move.

Yes, I tried to sell my wife on just using F6B as our only big bike and also attempted to woo her with a 40th anniv GL1800. No dice, she likes the Harleys.

She needs to take the course and get her own bike!
Why should you have to burn your bits for her aesthetic inclinations?
Wait, don't answer that...we don't need to know...:nono:

TandemGeek
09-19-2017, 10:06 AM
She needs to take the course and get her own bike!
Why should you have to burn your bits for her aesthetic inclinations?
Wait, don't answer that...we don't need to know...:nono:

Really?

https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/20150906_191709.jpg

53driver
09-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Really?

https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/20150906_191709.jpg

Nice chassis....good on you.

I still think she should get her own though......lol.
Cheers,
Steve

TandemGeek
09-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Nice chassis....good on you.

I still think she should get her own though......lol.
Cheers,
Steve

Debbie prefers riding two-up... On all things two wheeled aND thats fine by me. And at 60, taking up riding big bikes probably isn't a wise choice even though she rides a mean pedal bike.

:cheers:

https://tandemgeek.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-8-54-15-pm.png

53driver
09-19-2017, 11:52 AM
FWIW: I've licensed people to ride a motorcycle up to 83 years old!
Y'all seem in fine shape, and as long as the reflexes and motor skills are good (pedal bike operation) should be no problem.

But, she seems happy, so brother, rock on!
:cheers:

Verismo
09-22-2017, 10:28 PM

I'm glad to see others share this observation. It's really my one complaint about the B. I'm coming from a 2014 Valkyrie, and that's the one thing that bike did better, in my opinion. I guess because it's so much more open and so much more air passes around the rider, you literally cannot feel heat on that bike. It's freaky, in a great way.

The B in the other hand is infinitely more comfortable for my frame, but I really don't like the envelope of heat that comes off the radiators and surrounds me, and I hate how much the baker's screw up the svelte look. Also, I haven't heard very many reports of the baker's being excellent at deflecting the engine heat, so I'm really not sure about the trade off.

Jason

willtill
09-23-2017, 09:28 AM
When I am at moderate speed, I don't even feel the heat coming off of the radiators of the F6B, unless I stick my hand into the lower wind stream from the side fairings. Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat... :shrug:

53driver
09-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Unless I'm stopped AND the fans are on, I don't feel anything either.

Certainly nothing like an 80cu in EVO.
Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
09-23-2017, 10:12 AM
ditto x2

TandemGeek
09-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat... :shrug:

You see...,,y'all say issue, I said I was amazed which to say I didn't think about how the heat was evacuated from the radiators.

This was made after our first ride in an urban environment on a social ride, not blasting down the interstate. And in an urban environment the GL1800 throws off a lot of heat. If that wasn't true there wouldn't be all of these hideous heat and air deflectors being sold in the aftermarket.

But it's not an issue, it is what it is. 1st and 2nd degree right thigh burns caused by the 110" engine in Harley is an issue.

Brewdog
09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
My B gets warm. I added the vent kit below the side mirrors to push cool air toward me. They blow out the heat that comes in to the rider from the side radiators.

Verismo
09-23-2017, 10:51 PM
When I am at moderate speed, I don't even feel the heat coming off of the radiators of the F6B, unless I stick my hand into the lower wind stream from the side fairings. Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat... :shrug:

I'm not, either, willtill. There are several possible explanations:

1. Regional climate. I live in South Texas. It's hot as hell down here regularly, and if you're used to 70's and 80's riding, then we don't have a good baseline for comparison, because it's often hotter than that at midnight here.

2. Something's wrong with ours that's not with yours. Blocked air route in the cowls, malfunctioning fan, something along those lines. I doubt this is it, considering how new mine was when I got it, and the temp guage reads under the halfway mark when totally warm. But this is the reason I was glad to hear others reporting the same.

3. Windshield selection. This one may seem like an odd culprit. But different windshields will have very different aerodynamic effects on the rider area. I am running the OEM tall with vent, and I actually like it. But it does cause a rather pleasant bit of negative pressure at my back. This negative pressure could be pulling more of the radiator heat up and at me. I recently got a Madstad but haven't installed it, yet. It will be interesting to see what properties change after install.

4. Subjective experience. This seems to be many riders' immediate knee jerk reaction/answer to any criticisms regarding the B. It MUST be the rider. The rider is a sissy/communist, and should be on a V Twin or a Harley. Maybe. It's an understandable reaction, given how fantastic the machine is and the loyalty it inspires. And, these things are certainly all possible given that everyone has varying experience on different platforms, different expectations, and different tolerances. But it's also entirely possible that some riders maybe need to unpucker just a little so that those of us who think this platform is excellent, but maybe not perfect, can figure out ways to make it better for us.:cheers:

Jason

SpeedyWho
09-24-2017, 06:02 PM
I rode mine to work year round in Phoenix, I've seen the bike read over 120*. I always rode with full gear and a full face helmet. The only thing that got unbearable was the heat coming up off the road surface. I swear the bottom of my boots felt like they where melting.

willtill
09-24-2017, 06:31 PM
I rode mine to work year round in Phoenix, I've seen the bike read over 120*. I always rode with full gear and a full face helmet. The only thing that got unbearable was the heat coming up off the road surface. I swear the bottom of my boots felt like they where melting.

I used to live in Scottsdale, Arizona during my adolescent years... before "circumstances" put me in military service.... :shhh: :icon_mrgreen:

ATGATT does not exist in that hotspot back during the '70's.... too eager to ride.... we were of the old class of riders back then out in the boondocks of the Pima Indian Reservation and some serious points north of that.

Occasional broken bones and wipe outs were the norm back in my day. Experience was born from those hard earned lessons earned. :shhh:

Huge fun nethertheless. I wish I could go back to those days. Much better than the present. :icon_frown:

98valk
09-25-2017, 02:19 PM

Me too. I'm in New Mexico. It gets hot here. Unless I am stopped in traffic, the bike is not hot at all. The road is hot, the damn sun is hot, but the bike is not.