PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my first flat tire kit

Redlinez
10-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Been riding off and on since 92 and have never carried anything for a flat tire possibility. Guess I've been lucky. I got the Stop n Go kit and the Slime 50001 pump and removed the slime bottle. Fit together perfectly!

DMAGOLDRDR
10-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Been riding off and on since 92 and have never carried anything for a flat tire possibility. Guess I've been lucky. I got the Stop n Go kit and the Slime 50001 pump and removed the slime bottle. Fit together perfectly!

I have had the Stop n Go kit for years and my advice is to use it and get familiar with how it works now while you are home. You may be surprised how difficult it is to plug a tire and it is better to learn this procedure in a stress free environment and not when you are lying on the ground in an unfamiliar setting with a flat tire.

Also,,, in case you do not have a center stand.... be aware when you have a rear flat your bike may not stay on the side stand due to the change in lean angle.

willtill
10-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Yep... echo his comments above about familiarizing yourself with that Stop -n- Go kit. It's a little more involved than using the simple string type tire plugger (which I now carry).

Redlinez
10-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Wasn't sure if one of those would work on a bike. Dang. Thanks for the tips. Believe I will have to get a center stand next year.

Redlinez
10-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Dual post

seadog
10-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Dual post

The center stand makes using your tire plugger that much better as it gets the tire off the ground and lets you get it in the right place to make plugging the hole much easier. A flat tire on a 850 pound bike does not roll worth a dam so the center stand comes on very handy. Also if you have an old tire you took off the bike drill a hole in it with a power drill and practice on that, lets you get the hang of that tire plugger.

Sorcerer
10-01-2016, 06:16 PM
If you are by your self , and unless your the incredible hulk you most likely will not be able to get the bike up on the center stand with a flat rear tire. Just ask the guys that have put the lowering link in the rear suspension.

willtill
10-01-2016, 06:21 PM
If you are by your self , and unless your the incredible hulk you most likely will not be able to get the bike up on the center stand with a flat rear tire. Just ask the guys that have put the lowering link in the rear suspension.

...but as another way; you can lay it over on the right side engine guard/saddlebag guards and get to the tire in that manner.

The problem presented is a flat tire. The solution is to address it as best you can. Or wait for a tow truck; time lost and rider happiness dissipated.

I opt to fix that sucker myself. and I have been there and done that.

We motorcyclists (for the large part of our population -weekend H.D. Pirates) should be self reliant. What do you think? :icon_cool:

Sorcerer
10-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I've carryed a tire repair kit sence 1981. The first bike,1981 CB900 custom,the first of many that I owned that had tubbless tires. I've had a Slime pump sence thay first came out. I had an expansion joint pull out what I later figured out was a 1/4" bolt at 70 mph on my 98 Valk. A Good Samaritan pulled over and asked if he could be of help. Where I had to fix the tire was a right hand, down hill curve on an interstate. I was great full for the help. With big rigs going by trying to blow the bike off the side stand I had him keep the bike upright while I laid on the ground plugging and airing up the tire.

willtill
10-03-2016, 05:38 AM
I've carryed a tire repair kit sence 1981. The first bike,1981 CB900 custom,the first of many that I owned that had tubbless tires. I've had a Slime pump sence thay first came out. I had an expansion joint pull out what I later figured out was a 1/4" bolt at 70 mph on my 98 Valk. A Good Samaritan pulled over and asked if he could be of help. Where I had to fix the tire was a right hand, down hill curve on an interstate. I was great full for the help. With big rigs going by trying to blow the bike off the side stand I had him keep the bike upright while I laid on the ground plugging and airing up the tire.

:yes: :yes:

zeus661
10-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Just a suggestion from someone with experience in having several flat tires. Do a dry run. Let the air out of your tire at home and inflate it. You will be glad you have done it at home in the comfort of your garage first before along the road some day.

yellow rex
10-07-2016, 06:28 PM
You may also want to get a small ratchet strap to keep the bike from being push of the center stand, that would be putting safety first.

You never how much push it will take to plug your tire, and the strap goes from center stand to front engine guard.

willtill
10-08-2016, 07:11 AM
You may also want to get a small ratchet strap to keep the bike from being push "OFF" of the center stand, that would be putting safety first.

You never how much push it will take to plug your tire, and the strap goes from center stand to front engine guard.

Yes, very good idea. Or at least be cognizant of the fact as to why you need it. As yellow rex pointed out above :shock:

Redlinez
10-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Once I have a center stand! This sounds like a real challenge.