PDA

View Full Version : Do you find it to more difficult to get the Bee on her center stand.

Crazyhorse
10-01-2016, 09:19 PM
I find it more difficult to get my F6B on her center stand than my 03 wing. Any tips on how to make it easier?

stroguy
10-01-2016, 09:37 PM
More cheeseburgers? My first center stand so I don't have any advice. I do not find it hard at all.

xgringo
10-01-2016, 09:55 PM
I find it more difficult to get my F6B on her center stand than my 03 wing. Any tips on how to make it easier?

I found rocking the bike once or twice does the job for me. However, at 155 lbs. I've been worried that under less than favorable conditions I may not be able to lift her up to fix a flat or something. So I bought a GL-1800 Center Stand EZ-LIFT from Phil's Farkles. It works like a charm. I keep it with me at all times.

http://www.philsfarkels.com/gl-1800--helping-hand--1.html

stroguy
10-01-2016, 10:45 PM
A nice lil helper.

Just some advice from some of us that have had oily or wet soles and had the foot slip off the center stand strut. Put some skateboard tape or other rough material on any surface you are going to stand on to prop the bike on her center stand. I almost put mine into some gas pumps on a rainy day at the gas pumps. Good luck.

Steve 0080
10-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Put a 1 X 12 under the rear wheel.....

Crazyhorse
10-02-2016, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. I'm 5' 6 and it is a little difficult to accomplish. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Cleaver1
10-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Cut a 1 inch board that will fit in the bottom of your saddle bag, put it behind the rear wheel and roll the bike back onto it, raises the bike just enough to make it easy.

Milkmaster
10-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Make sure the bike is in neutral will make it a lot easier to put the center stand in service. The same is true on every large bike I have owned.

seadog
10-02-2016, 08:35 AM
At 250 pounds I have not had a problem with the B getting it up on the center stand. You at a lighter weight will have to figure it out on your own as I have no insight as to how you might get it done better or easier.

willtill
10-02-2016, 09:21 AM
It is in the technique.

When I first started putting the bike on it's center stand, I found myself expending too much effort when I was facing the bike; stepping on the center stand pedal and then lifting the left passenger grab rail.

I eventually found it easier to do a half left face and then go through the same motions to get the bike on it's center stand.

So adjust your body in relation to the bike; and determine the best torso/hip position for you; to maximize your lifting strength on the grab handle.

willtill
10-02-2016, 09:24 AM
A nice lil helper.

Just some advice from some of us that have had oily or wet soles and had the foot slip off the center stand strut. Put some skateboard tape or other rough material on any surface you are going to stand on to prop the bike on her center stand. I almost put mine into some gas pumps on a rainy day at the gas pumps. Good luck.

I have done just that when you had mentioned it long ago. It really helps in keeping your foot firmly planted on the center stand lift pedal. Lowe's has a roll of anti-skid tape in the hardware/signage section; cheap and easy to cut out and stick onto the center stand. :yes:

Bruce B
10-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Cut a 1 inch board that will fit in the bottom of your saddle bag, put it behind the rear wheel and roll the bike back onto it, raises the bike just enough to make it easy.

+1 Works like a charm. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it makes things easy for an old guy.

cueman
10-02-2016, 01:18 PM
grip tape on foot pad and put nearly all your weight on it when lifting bike. your other foot just needs enough wait on it to keep your balance. .batman-smilie. cueman

wiggy
10-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Facing foreward on the left side, I grab the left handgrip with my left hand, the passenger grab rail with my right hand and get the bike off the kickstand and upright. Then with my right foot I push on the center stand pad until it hits the ground and steadies the bike in the upright position. From there, it's just a matter of continuing to push downward with the right leg and pulling slightly up and backwards on the passenger grabrail. It worked with my Valkyries and works equally well with the B.

shortleg0521
10-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I'm 5' 6 and it is a little difficult to accomplish. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I am 5 ft 6in and 142. I find it pretty easy to.I will admit I look for the right place to raise it.
When I travel I carry a small piece of 2x to go under tire.
In garage it is a snap.
It is all in how you step down and pull.

BadDawg
10-02-2016, 11:01 PM
It's a lot easier than my 76 wing

SimonTemplar
10-03-2016, 02:11 AM
I've not really found it difficult in the least to get it onto the centre stand. Certainly no more difficult than any other larger cycle I have owned.

The day I took delivery and rode it home, I put it up out in my driveway. I had heard all the stories and had seen all the online chatter about how tough it was to do. When I did it, it went up so easily that I thought maybe all the complaining I had seen was a practical joke.

....sT

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 07:01 AM
Facing foreward on the left side, I grab the left handgrip with my left hand, the passenger grab rail with my right hand and get the bike off the kickstand and upright. Then with my right foot I push on the center stand pad until it hits the ground and steadies the bike in the upright position. From there, it's just a matter of continuing to push downward with the right leg and pulling slightly up and backwards on the passenger grabrail. It worked with my Valkyries and works equally well with the B.

This is the position I use to lift the bike. The board will certainly make it easier. Thanks for all the input. Oh I always make sure it is in neutral.

98valk
10-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I believe that the higher your rear shock setting is, the easier it is to get the bike on the center stand. On my Valk, I had shorter rear shocks and it was a bi!ch to get on its center stand.

Also, once you have the center stand partly down with your foot on it, make sure that the bike is setting on both center stand pads. If you are leaning on one pad (like the one towards the side stand), it will be a lot harder to get the bike up.

kenny urban
10-06-2016, 11:40 AM
I believe that the higher your rear shock setting is, the easier it is to get the bike on the center stand. On my Valk, I had shorter rear shocks and it was a bi!ch to get on its center stand.

Also, once you have the center stand partly down with your foot on it, make sure that the bike is setting on both center stand pads. If you are leaning on one pad (like the one towards the side stand), it will be a lot harder to get the bike up.I find-it easier to just throw down a little 1" x 4" x 4" block of wood in front of the bike, and roll-Up onto-It,,I Keep-it in the front CuBBy,,
It is JUST-Enough to help get the bike onto the C.Stand,,KennyU

blackmetoc
10-08-2016, 06:50 AM

I couldn't do it. I would take my lift, get it under, give it a few pumps then kick the stand down. Everybody said, "Just stand on it. There is a technique." Techniquie, aye. But when your leg is full locked out, and the bike STILL doesn't "get over the hump," what do you do? You buy a different center stand or continue to do a lift assist.

willtill
10-08-2016, 07:04 AM
I couldn't do it. I would take my lift, get it under, give it a few pumps then kick the stand down. Everybody said, "Just stand on it. There is a technique." Techniquie, aye. But when your leg is full locked out, and the bike STILL doesn't "get over the hump," what do you do? You buy a different center stand or continue to do a lift assist.

It's not all in the leg; you also have to left upwards as you have extended your leg. Maybe you have someone near whom can coach you on how to do it?

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. My leg is at full extension while I am stepping down on the peg; and the bike is still not completely deployed on the center stand (over the hump) until I have completed the follow on lift if the left rear passenger grab handle.

You WANT your leg to be at full lock; or extension while you are following the movement to get the bike "over the hump". It's actually harder to do if your leg is still bent at the knee.

blackmetoc
10-09-2016, 07:36 PM
I have a new stand which works.

98valk
10-11-2016, 11:13 AM
I find-it easier to just throw down a little 1" x 4" x 4" block of wood in front of the bike, and roll-Up onto-It,,I Keep-it in the front CuBBy,,
It is JUST-Enough to help get the bike onto the C.Stand,,KennyU

That's thinking outside the box! I never thought to put a piece of wood under the front tire (always the rear).

This brings up another thought. I have always wondered if a got a flat tire, would I find my bike on its side the next morning? :shrug:

If I leave a piece of wood in the garage and park the front tire on it all the time, It should solve the falling over problem and ease putting the bike on the center stand at the same time.

Thanks Kenny! :yes: