PDA

View Full Version : Finished installing the Helibars

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 07:37 AM
I can't believe the difference these bars make. If you have a shorter reach these bars take all the tension out of riding the Bee/Wing all day. I know that they are costly but they are priceless if you need them. I'm not getting any kick back from Helibars just a happy customer. Next step in making the Bee mine is the installing of the Bike Big drivers backrest into my Mustang seat. This pic does not show the bars but will add a pic of them later.

Bdog
10-03-2016, 08:02 AM
You said that you were going to put a "big bike drivers back rest" on your mustang seat. I also have a mustang seat and need more back support. Can you give me more info on this back rest. I tried to search it with no luck.

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 08:09 AM
You said that you were going to put a "big bike drivers back rest" on your mustang seat. I also have a mustang seat and need more back support. Can you give me more info on this back rest. I tried to search it with no luck.

Search "Mustang Seat, Utopia Rider Backrest Conversion". I'm using the Big Bike backrest because I have it on hand and I think it looks better. I will take pictures of my install and post them after I complete the task.

wantone
10-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I've such a short arm length that even helibars didn't help me. Decided to put other risers along with helibars but then totaled my bike before that happened.

Greg O
10-03-2016, 09:15 AM
How was the install of the Helibars. I assume you installed them yourself. How difficult is it, and how long did it take you?

Jimmytee
10-03-2016, 09:27 AM
How was the install of the Helibars. I assume you installed them yourself. How difficult is it, and how long did it take you?

If you have the slightest amount of mechanical aptitude, should be no issue. Pretty straight forward with good directions.

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 09:50 AM

I did and this was my second time. I had these bars on my 03 Wing. As Jimmy said it isn't that difficult of a job and the instructions that come with the Helibars are very good. The part I hate the most is having to bleed the front brakes and clutch after install. However, Helibars provides you with two bleed valves that make it a lot easier. Just hook up a Mityvac hand vacuum and suck the air out, remembering to keep your reservoir full. Brake fluid will remove your paint so make sure you cover things up good while bleeding.

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 09:51 AM
I've such a short arm length that even helibars didn't help me. Decided to put other risers along with helibars but then totaled my bike before that happened.

Hate that you crashed your bike. Hope you were ok.

Jimmytee
10-03-2016, 12:16 PM
The part I hate the most is having to bleed the front brakes and clutch after install. However, Helibars provides you with two bleed valves that make it a lot easier. Just hook up a Mityvac hand vacuum and suck the air out, remembering to keep your reservoir full. Brake fluid will remove your paint so make sure you cover things up good while bleeding.

I didn't have to use a vacuum brake bleeder when I did mine.Just followed the instructions and it was easy . I have a Mityvac,but didn't need to do that

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
I didn't have to use a vacuum brake bleeder when I did mine.Just followed the instructions and it was easy . I have a Mityvac,but didn't need to do that

Gotten use to using the mityvac. Thanks for clarifying that Jimmy.

Greg O
10-03-2016, 01:35 PM
How did it take to install the Helibars?

Jimmytee
10-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Gotten use to using the mityvac. Thanks for clarifying that Jimmy.

I just didn't want to leave the impression that someone had to have such a tool to install the Helibars.:icon_cool:

Looking forward to seeing you at the Fall Color Ride next weekend.

Greg O
10-03-2016, 06:08 PM
How long did it take to install the Helibars?

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 07:22 PM
How long did it take to install the Helibars?

The first time not counting reading through the instructions a few times I would say I spent around 6 hours. However, I never get into a hurry when working on my bikes.

Crazyhorse
10-03-2016, 07:25 PM
I just didn't want to leave the impression that someone had to have such a tool to install the Helibars.:icon_cool:

Looking forward to seeing you at the Fall Color Ride next weekend.

I'm glad you cleared that up. See you at the FCR.

ADV67
07-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

Just installed my Helibars this weekend, finally found some time to do this and an F6B friend helped me here.
The improvement and riding comfort is excellent! Should have done this mode earlier, especially as my seat is 2" higher and 2" set back.
I also mounted a set of MBL risers together with the Helibars.

However a problem arises: my handlebars and hands now perfectly block my mirror view. I have to bend sidewards or remove my hand from the grip to see who is riding behind me.

Do other riders have this and how did you solve it? Mirror relocators? :icon_rolleyes:

olegoat345
07-17-2017, 04:35 PM
I have them. Never a problem.
Maybe they need to be lowered & then pulled back ---&--- in --------------??? I don't know.
I've spoke with the owner / builder several years ago, great guy. I'm sure he could give you some good suggestions.

gadgeteer
07-17-2017, 04:48 PM
I guess I need to bail on this web site.
Pics don't open.. EVER!!
I checked settings for this site (all pictures open every site I have ever visited including GL1800 Riders and Honda F6B riders facebook) and don't see any reason pictures won't open.

So long people..

ADV67
07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
I have them. Never a problem.
Maybe they need to be lowered & then pulled back ---&--- in --------------??? I don't know.
I've spoke with the owner / builder several years ago, great guy. I'm sure he could give you some good suggestions.

Of course I could lower my Helibars but then I would lose all the benefits. I put them higher (MBL risers) and in a pretty straight angle (like enduro or motocross bars) and really like riding in that position as it's relaxing for my back. I can ride all day like that.
BUT... the sight in the mirrors is blocked now for 50%. A rider or car behind me sits in the blind spot now. Any tall riders here who came across the same and handled this issue?

willtill
07-17-2017, 05:59 PM
I guess I need to bail on this web site.
Pics don't open.. EVER!!
I checked settings for this site (all pictures open every site I have ever visited including GL1800 Riders and Honda F6B riders facebook) and don't see any reason pictures won't open.

So long people..

You need the know the story behind that.... it's a temporary thing.

In the meantime... use a free external hosting site... such as tinypic.com (what I use)