PDA

View Full Version : Short rider question

Joker
10-08-2016, 09:40 AM
I am not vertically challenged but my wife is. At a height of 5`2 do any of you think we can modify the bike enough for safe riding? She is an experienced rider mostly on a sportster. She has been riding an Ultra low but doesn't feel comfortable on it at stops and parking. She isn't flat footed and can't maneuver because of the weight. Is it crazy to think we can make the F6B work for her. Inseam is 28 inches. All of 120 lbs. We know about the lowering kit and would more than like have a seat modified for her. Has anyone done that out there? Any riders in that 5`2 ranger?

willtill
10-08-2016, 09:47 AM
To be blunt; there's a point sometimes where there is too much bike for a rider.

A mustang seat will lower her down some; much more that the stock OEM seat.

Milkmaster
10-08-2016, 09:49 AM
It will fit an F6B too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_YWLw0QEw

opas ride
10-08-2016, 12:06 PM
It will fit an F6B too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_YWLw0QEw

I am 5"9", barely, with a short inseam, and even with the Mustang seat and 1/2" soles and heels added to my boots, this 835 lb bike is sometimes a little "scary" for me...I am almost 77 years old and still in pretty good shape, but at 5'2"..I would suggest you try a lighter and smaller bike.....JMHO

seadog
10-08-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm almost 6'3" and 250 lbs and have a 32 inch inseam and this big bike can give me trouble and I am an experience rider also, like the one thread said, their is a point where a bike can be too big a problem. You need to be flat footed when stopped and if your not the bike is the wrong size and if the weight is too much that is always a problem. There are some very nice low seat Honda's out there that fit Ladies just fine and are fast and able motorcycles.

stevenolts
10-08-2016, 01:32 PM
I have a 5' 8" with a 29" inseam and the Mustang seat makes it almost OK / one foot or the other not both unless I squish my boys and stand up sort-of. I am fairly strong (I play soccer 2X a week) and sometimes it seems like it could get away from me. One little slippery spot or gravel etc... and you better be strong as hell. The bike is very well balanced and is OK 99.99% of the time.
Steve

stevenolts
10-08-2016, 01:33 PM
sorry!!! I just realized I could correct my posts. The above post has been fixed.
Steve

Cobraguy
10-08-2016, 03:01 PM
My wife is 5'2" also. Yes I installed the Lowing kit and pulled the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Added a belly pan. Had a mustang seat but it put her too far back and she was reaching for the bars. Installed Helibars. Still reaching so put the stock seat back on and sold the mustang. She's can flat foot it but still backing it up is difficult so she parks nose up if she can't pull through. When she first got it she was intimidated and frankly a little scared of it. Some practice and she'll never need another bike.

Hodgey1
10-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Is it crazy to think we can make the F6B work for her.
Yes, it's crazy. The bike is amazing while in motion, when not, it's a bohemith. When coming to a stop or maneuvering around in a parking lot, you quickly realize the weight. I'm plenty strong at 50 and still contemplate stops after 4K miles of riding my B. Do the right thing and buy her something way lighter. She'll enjoy it more and so will you, not having to help her move it around.

pilotguy299
10-09-2016, 09:12 AM
I think it will be a quite a bit too tall for her. Find something with a much lower seat height. I had to have my seat lowered, and I'm at 5'10".

If you/she are dead set on the f6b, you'd probably need to trike it, or get the leg up landing gear.

Joker
10-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I kind of already figured the bike was too much for her but I wanted her to see the responses and opinions. I know she can ride it but handling at stops and parking would make me a nervous wreck if I wasn't riding with her. I think the Softail Slim is the route to go for her. I appreciate you all.

opas ride
10-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I kind of already figured the bike was too much for her but I wanted her to see the responses and opinions. I know she can ride it but handling at stops and parking would make me a nervous wreck if I wasn't riding with her. I think the Softail Slim is the route to go for her. I appreciate you all.
Just my opinion, but I would definitely check out a smaller Indian or Victory bike before any HD offering..Honda also has a couple really nice smaller, lighter bikes.....Ride safe and enjoy.....

Joker
10-09-2016, 03:17 PM
I ride the F6B and Valkyrie before that. Owned several other bikes as well. I like both the Indian and Victory. However, the wife has riden the HD for almost 10 years. I think she wants the Slim so she doesn't feel hypocritical since 3/4 of her closet is HD stuff. Lol

willtill
10-09-2016, 03:40 PM
I ride the F6B and Valkyrie before that. Owned several other bikes as well. I like both the Indian and Victory. However, the wife has riden the HD for almost 10 years. I think she wants the Slim so she doesn't feel hypocritical since 3/4 of her closet is HD stuff. Lol

She's gotta go with what she knows. :icon_lol:

Victory is a nice bike and I really liked my Vision, until it had an issue and the warranty (according to the local dealer here) didn't cover it; same issue occurred again (failed front drive sprocket inner seal) after they had "repaired it" on my dime.... and they expected me to bend over backwards once again. Eff that chit.

Beware of the Victorys. :no: the Vision Is a GREAT comfortable Tourer but in certain locales, the franchised suck azz service department (like Annapolis, Maryland) and phantom factory warranty will quickly ruin the positives of the bike. :jerkit:

wantone
10-09-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm 5 5 and finally gave up modifying f6b. Luckily I totaled it and was paid by insurance. I've had close to 13 bikes in 4 yrs. bought 2015 Indian chieftain after f6b. Had it for 4 weeks and finally traded it for 16 street glide special. Couldn't be happier. I love SG and have already put 11000 miles in 3 months. It's still heavy for me so I had to add reverse to help me Manauver the bike. F6b seat height is 29 in which is really tall for small riders. The more u lower the bike it will be problematic in handling. Try bikes that have seat height less than 26 to 25 inches. Just my humble opinion.

Jimmytee
10-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Echo what others have said. I'm 5'8" (my wife questions whether that is still true :icon_wink:) with a 30" inseam.
I don't have any trouble with moving the bike around, but I'm a hoss. :icon_rolleyes:
I actually think that this bike is easier to move around than similar weighted bikes because all the weight is lower.
However, if someone is on their tippy toes, it would still make things difficult.
My wife is 5' 2" nd she can flat foot a VTX 1300 .
If she can handle the Harley, and likes that bike then that's probably her best bet.

shortleg0521
10-10-2016, 11:19 AM

My wife had a VTX 1800 retro with an ultimate seat and she could flat foot it and keep up
with the old man on his Valkyie Interstate.
There are plenty of them out there with low miles, might be an idea.
Have fun with it and go around to different dealers and see what they have.
Make sure that the bike you pick fits her, most of all she feels comfortable with it.
Now will it have the power she wants, and will she need to haul any cargo.
Go with those few things and I think you will have it.
JUST REMEMBER IT IS HER BIKE NOT YOUR,S!,,