PDA

View Full Version : Here is my air filter.

Jimmytee
10-08-2016, 12:59 PM
So here is my air filter at just shy of 31k. Looking at it , I think it validates that I hadn't perceived any performance loss . Doesn't hurt to replace it, but you open up the pleats and it looks pretty good. Now that I've took it out, the new one is going in.
I have a scope camera. When I get close to the next change, I'll be running it up and taking a look first.

unsub
10-08-2016, 01:18 PM
So here is my air filter at just shy of 31k. Looking at it , I think it validates that I hadn't perceived any performance loss . Doesn't hurt to replace it, but you open up the pleats and it looks pretty good. Now that I've took it out, the new one is going in.
I have a scope camera. When I get close to the next change, I'll be running it up and taking a look first.

Thanks for sharing. On the scopecam, how will you navigate past the filter box to see the filter, and will you have enough light to actually see that kind of detail in there? I've only used a scope cam on structures, never engines.

Jimmytee
10-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. On the scopecam, how will you navigate past the filter box to see the filter, and will you have enough light to actually see that kind of detail in there? I've only used a scope cam on structures, never engines.

The end of the camera or scope is lighted. I can run it through the intake air ducts.

willtill
10-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Yes, it is possible to run a lighted scope camera all of the way to the air filter. I plan to do this myself.

Thanks JimmyTee for sharing the pic and report of your air filter. :yes:

Vondawg
10-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the perspective of 30,000+ and it doesn't look all that bad.

Jimmytee
10-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the perspective of 30,000+ and it doesn't look all that bad.

No problem, just keep in mind, my experience may very well be different than someone elses. Really dependent on what the bike has been breathing for those miles. I see a wide variety of conditions and ride pretty much all year if the roads allow. The vast majority of my riding is on rural back roads in a mixture of farmlands, woods and mountains.

opas ride
10-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Not at all bad...I have seen a couple of K&N filters pulled at 50,000 miles and they looked almost a clean as new..A lot depends on where you live and the weather you ride in!!....Ride safe....

stroguy
10-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Not at all bad...I have seen a couple of K&N filters pulled at 50,000 miles and they looked almost a clean as new..A lot depends on where you live and the weather you ride in!!....Ride safe....

Mine at 12000 was pristine. But since the bike was opened for some radiator work I asked them to swap it. After seeing the filter my palm met my forehead with near violent speed.

bob109
10-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Did my filter change at 30K miles and its condition was very similar to yours! I noticed no increase in performance or gas mileage with the new filter. I used a OEM Honda for replacement as the stock filter performed above my expectations:icon_wink:

Now that I'm aware of a good trick/tool for seperating the array of electrical connectors with "Hose Pliers" when accessing the filter, I anticipate the process to be quicker and use less "vulgarity":yikes:

53driver
10-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Mine was about the same at 33k at the demo at HoR.
I wouldn't change it before 30k unless you're riding in the desert a lot.

Cheers,
Steve

nvmyf6
10-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing Jimmytee,
Looks like you definitely needed to change that out.

I changed out mine at just under 22000 miles, after I got back from my trip of just under 8000 miles, to the most northern part of Maine, leaving from Blythe, CA. the desert, hahaha.

Jimmytee
10-09-2016, 05:36 AM
Thanks for sharing Jimmytee,
Looks like you definitely needed to change that out.

I changed out mine at just under 22000 miles, after I got back from my trip of just under 8000 miles, to the most northern part of Maine, leaving from Blythe, CA. the desert, hahaha.

It didn't hurt changing it, but it really was not too bad. Of course the leading edges of the pleats catch and show the dirt, but opening up the pleats the filter doesn't look too bad. Yes definitely changed it after digging down to replace it though.:icon_lol:

F6Dave
10-09-2016, 09:02 AM

That's because K&N filters let so much of the dirt through! :icon_lol:

I bought one of those inspection cameras a few years ago and keep finding new uses for it. I check brake pads and do other inspections without having to crawl under the vehicle. I'm definitely going to have a look at my air filter.

Steve 0080
10-09-2016, 10:05 AM
I changed mine on time as well...could have gone to 50,000 miles easily !!!

Broken Hand
10-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Mind sharing the brand of camera you guys use.

opas ride
10-09-2016, 10:38 AM
That's because K&N filters let so much of the dirt through! :icon_lol:

I bought one of those inspection cameras a few years ago and keep finding new uses for it. I check brake pads and do other inspections without having to crawl under the vehicle. I'm definitely going to have a look at my air filter.

Dave, I take exception to your post about the K&N filter...Data from many sources do not support your statement..Maybe an opinion on your part, but not accurate...Those of us, including myself, that have used these filters for years without any problems I am aware of, also might disagree with you....As for me, I will continue to use K&N in all my vehicles as I have done for thousands of miles and many, many years....Ride safe

willtill
10-09-2016, 02:26 PM

I'm using the Whistler 9mm camera

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Wireless-Inspection-Camera/dp/B009QYU07E

You can get a good, cheap remote inspection camera from Harbor Freight as well.

willtill
10-09-2016, 03:59 PM
:icon_cool:
Dave, I take exception to your post about the K&N filter...Data from many sources do not support your statement..Maybe an opinion on your part, but not accurate...Those of us, including myself, that have used these filters for years without any problems I am aware of, also might disagree with you....As for me, I will continue to use K&N in all my vehicles as I have done for thousands of miles and many, many years....Ride safe

Kind of sensed that it was a joke Opas....

But anyway.... who in the hell is going to spend extra money into installing (and subsequent cleaning)of a washable, cleanable air filter in a F6B's innards when cheaper paper filter elements are proven to do a better job at filtering?

K&N's are cool when you can SEE them. Not so cool when they're buried. I only use K&N's for the :icon_cool: aesthetic factor.

unsub
10-09-2016, 04:02 PM
The end of the camera or scope is lighted. I can run it through the intake air ducts.

OK Thanks.

Jimmytee
10-09-2016, 04:36 PM

Mine is made by Rigid.

nvmyf6
10-09-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm using the Whistler 9mm camera

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Wireless-Inspection-Camera/dp/B009QYU07E

You can get a good, cheap remote inspection camera from Harbor Freight as well.

That's a high tech looking item for sure.

I was an automotive technician for many years, and I had bought a ProVision 100. Maybe this could work.

Jimmytee
10-09-2016, 05:24 PM
That's a high tech looking item for sure.

I was an automotive technician for many years, and I had bought a ProVision 100. Maybe this could work.

My rigid has a 3 ft length and then another 3 ft extension for a total of 6 ft. Mine is bigger.:icon_wink::icon_lol:

nvmyf6
10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
My rigid has a 3 ft length and then another 3 ft extension for a total of 6 ft. Mine is bigger.:icon_wink::icon_lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHA :lolup: .notworthy.

Jimmytee
10-09-2016, 05:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA :lolup: .notworthy.

I could not resist. Darn that 12 year old that lives in my brain.:icon_biggrin:

opas ride
10-09-2016, 05:55 PM

But anyway.... who in the hell is going to spend extra money into installing (and subsequent cleaning)of a washable, cleanable air filter in a F6B's innards when cheaper paper filter elements are proven to do a better job at filtering?

K&N's are cool when you can SEE them. Not so cool when they're buried. I only use K&N's for the :icon_cool: aesthetic factor.

Maybe so, but show me some PROOF, that paper filters are better at filtering....I have not seen any so far....Not really a big issue anyhow as many more things are much more important in today's world....Regards and ride safe....

willtill
10-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Maybe so, but show me some PROOF, that paper filters are better at filtering....I have not seen any so far....Not really a big issue anyhow as many more things are much more important in today's world....Regards and ride safe....

Opas... the "proof" is out there... for Keerists sake yer a retired old fart and I am sure that you could find the time to explore, research, and kind of answer yer own question. :icon_wink:

Not to say that I am getting ready to retire myself and plan to trundle around. Will you meet me for a beer (or more) in the coming year? :039:

opas ride
10-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Opas... the "proof" is out there... for Keerists sake yer a retired old fart and I am sure that you could find the time to explore, research, and kind of answer yer own question. :icon_wink:

Not to say that I am getting ready to retire myself and plan to trundle around. Will you meet me for a beer (or more) in the coming year? :039:
Willtill, Absolutely , but I don't drink!!..Would love to share a cola or two anytime....I understand where your coming from and I do have the time to read a lot of useless data, but old habits are hard to change...In reality, I have no clue which is the better filter and have used K&N in my bikes and cars for years for whatever reason...No problems yet and I will probably use them until I "croak"...This is the first GW type motor I have used one in and only did so as the bike was apart for painting. As I only ride about 3500/ 4000 miles a year, I figure that by the time I have to change filters, I will either be riding another bike or nothing at all!!!....Regards and ride safe..

F6Dave
10-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Yes, it was a joke. I'm a past K&N user as well. The washing and re-oiling was a real pain. It's so much easier to open the wrapper and have a clean, new filter ready to install.

I've known a few real K&N 'evangelists', and they tend to reject any evidence that shakes their faith in those filters. But like you said, there's plenty evidence showing that paper filters do a much better job. Just search on 'Spicer air filter test' and you'll find conclusive data showing precisely how much more dirt a K&N flows compared to paper filters. It's a LOT. That only makes sense: a filter CAPABLE of flowing air at a higher rate (even if the engine can't utilize the excess air) will need to be more porous, and more porosity will allow more, and larger, particles of dirt through.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence as well. On the Valkyrie Forum website a member used to run K&N filters on every vehicle he owned. He bought one for his son's Harley as a birthday present. His son, a certified mechanic, oiled and installed it properly -- tight with no leaks. Three months later he opened it up and saw dirt lining the throttle body. No more K&N filters for that family!

Luckily our GL engines can last for hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal maintenance. So a K&N isn't going to destroy your engine. But it will let more dirt in, and that could accelerate the wear of some internal parts. As you said, the Honda filters cost less and filter better. They also can easily last 30,000 miles or more. Why bother with anything else?

wiggy
10-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks for sharing the info, Jimmy. It gives us a good baseline on when to start dreading the process....Btw, after you were done, how many fasteners did you have left over? 😂