PDA

View Full Version : Heated gear users

speedjunkie
10-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Getting on towards winter, so I better get my heated gear working. How have you guys mounted your controllers? Mine is a portable controller and don't want a bunch of wires and such hanging out everywhere and scratching the paint. I see there are remote controllers now, not sure if they're a dual unit though. Thanks!

Mike

Hornblower
10-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Mike--My Gerbing controller is in a "pouch" that can be clipped to my jacket. Also, I run the pigtail out from under the front of the seat so that, if I forget to connect, I can connect on-the-fly more easily.

Jimmytee
10-10-2016, 10:35 AM
I have the Kuryakyn console thing that goes in the place of the glove box. In the left side I ran the power supply and that is where I keep my dual controller and cables I plug my gear into. When not using, the cover is on or the controller and cables.tidy.

speedjunkie
10-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Mine is in a pouch too. I should have pulled the side panel before I posted, but wasn't sure on the routing. My hot wire has a coax style connection that plugs into a tender lead, so I hooked up a tender connection to the battery and slipped it through the little hole in the side panel. It doesn't look too offensive sticking out. I can unplug the hot lead and stash the controller, plus plug a battery tender in once in awhile.

Mike

speedjunkie
10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
I have the Kuryakyn console thing that goes in the place of the glove box. In the left side I ran the power supply and that is where I keep my dual controller and cables I plug my gear into. When not using, the cover is on or the controller and cables.tidy.

This sounds very clean! I don't know if I'll get a Kury cubby though, I like the security, if you can call it that, of the lockable glovebox lid. Out of sight, out of mind.

Mike

unsub
10-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Gerbing here also. Controller in the pocket. Placing the pigtail like so also allows for easy access to the battery tender. I'm thinking about putting a barrel type receptacle somewhere nested in the left shelter controls like my beemer, but still working out the placement plan.

kenny urban
10-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Getting on towards winter, so I better get my heated gear working. How have you guys mounted your controllers? Mine is a portable controller and don't want a bunch of wires and such hanging out everywhere and scratching the paint. I see there are remote controllers now, not sure if they're a dual unit though. Thanks!

MikeI was told sometime ago that you should not UNPLUG the gerbing with them-ON,,
so, I hooked my Gerbings to a AUX. Power fuse block with a relay,,
I hooked the trigger for the relay to the rear Lisence plate light,,
when you turn-on the key, it turns on the fuse block for the Gerbings,,so you just pull-up to the pump or rest stop, and when you turn off the key, the gerbings turn-off,,also, when you turn-on the key to accessory, they don't come-on, ONLY when the bike is on,,KennyU

DMAGOLDRDR
10-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Getting on towards winter, so I better get my heated gear working. How have you guys mounted your controllers? Mine is a portable controller and don't want a bunch of wires and such hanging out everywhere and scratching the paint. I see there are remote controllers now, not sure if they're a dual unit though. Thanks!Mike

Being an all year rider I have been using Heated Gear for over 15 yrs, so I have everything mounted for ease of use.
The Controls on the right side of the Fairing operate the Plugs fuel tank cover.... The Permanent Dual Temp Controller is about $120. and both those covers are fairly inexpensive to replace IF I ever get rid of the bike and want to take the wiring back out..

unsub
10-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Being an all year rider I have been using Heated Gear for over 15 yrs, so I have everything mounted for ease of use.
The Controls on the right side of the Fairing operate the Plugs fuel tank cover.... The Permanent Dual Temp Controller is about $120. and both those covers are fairly inexpensive to replace IF I ever get rid of the bike and want to take the wiring back out..

Just when I thought I had a plan to relocate my connections you post this! I like.... a lot! Very slick.:yes:

kenny urban
10-10-2016, 04:25 PM
The Controls on the right side of the Fairing operate the Plugs fuel tank cover.... The Permanent Dual Temp Controller is about $120. and both those covers are fairly inexpensive to replace IF I ever get rid of the bike and want to take the wiring back out.. on the GAS DOOR-that's cool, but I do a lot of poker runs, and that's where my FUN RUN/Poker run directions go in a map holder,,Just a thought,,KennyU

speedjunkie
10-10-2016, 04:42 PM
The right panel was where I'd mount the switches if I get hard wired. The fuel door for the plugs is great too, well done!

Mike

DMAGOLDRDR
10-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys !!!! It is nice not to have wires hanging all over the bike.