PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if anyone has put the TPMS units on stock stems

DMAGOLDRDR
10-11-2016, 06:08 AM
I picked up a Steelmate system and installed it on my older bike seeing it has steel Valve Stems and was needed on that bike more than the F6B. I am pleased with the unit and will be looking to get another set up for the F6B. I already have a Goldwing rear rim with the solid angle Valve Stem but have not changed the front stem yet.

Are there guys running the stock stem ???

And please guys, I already know the T stems or at least solid mounted stems are the way to go and how easy it is to install the T stem. I just want to know IF anyone out there is using a system with stock stems.

AussieF6B
10-11-2016, 06:23 AM
yes im using FOBO on stock stems no problems with them leaking yet been on for 3 weeks now will change them onto metal ones when next replacing tyres

DMAGOLDRDR
10-11-2016, 08:21 AM
yes im using FOBO on stock stems no problems with them leaking yet been on for 3 weeks now will change them onto metal ones when next replacing tyres

Thanks for the feedback....

98valk
10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
I ran my Steelmate on the rubber stems for a couple of days around town to test them out.

On line, I found a centrifugal force calculator that claimed those 10 gram sensors feel like about 4 lbs at 60 mph!

Probably the sensor is just beating itself against the rim at that point and not hurting the valve stem (maybe not so good on the sensor, though). With that info, I never took the rubber stems on the freeway.

I did manage to change out both of my valve stems with the tires still on the bike. I would not say it was easy. And I punished the heck out of the tires doing it. But it seems to be working with no leaks.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I ran my Steelmate on the rubber stems for a couple of days around town to test them out.On line, I found a centrifugal force calculator that claimed those 10 gram sensors feel like about 4 lbs at 60 mph! Probably the sensor is just beating itself against the rim at that point and not hurting the valve stem (maybe not so good on the sensor, though). With that info, I never took the rubber stems on the freeway.I did manage to change out both of my valve stems with the tires still on the bike. I would not say it was easy. And I punished the heck out of the tires doing it. But it seems to be working with no leaks.

Thank you also,,, I would guess if the Stem Support is in place it would hold it but as you said, if the centrifugal force pushes that 10 grams up to 4 lbs that changes things considerably.

scoplin
10-11-2016, 11:56 AM
I have had the steelmate on the stock stems for approximately 1500 miles, no issues. I do have the steel T-stems and am installing them eventually.

Davidk
10-11-2016, 01:28 PM
My guess would be that the wear would be more a long term issue. I ran them on the stock stems for a few hundred miles until I had my tire changes done and installed metal T-valves at that point.

SimonTemplar
10-12-2016, 02:34 AM
TPMS caps will work just great on the stock rubber-mounted valve stems. You'll have no troubles whatsoever with that application.

None, that is....right up until the rubber-mounted stem fails from a mixture of age and the stress of the significantly higher induced G-forces caused by the extra weight of the heavier caps. Then...I just hope you're not on a curve at speed, or on the interstate doing 80mph. Because your tire will go flat in roughly a quarter of a second...

.....and perhaps you will as well.

To those who are about to die....we salute you. :039:

....sT

PS-- yeah yeah, I know....I mangled the quote.