PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof gloves-really waterproof

Limbuck
09-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Need help from the pros guys. After about 6 hours in drenching rain this past weekend my waterproof gloves weren't so waterproof. They've been fine in shorter rain events but not this time. As you know, heavy soaked gloves are miserable. I've been on RevZilla and other sites looking. So much stuff. I'd like your experiences and opinions for a glove that will lay with me. Actually need a warm weather type and also cold weather type. I've seen "wonder" gloves from $50 to $200. Help please.

Phantom
09-23-2013, 10:35 AM
I have never used this product, use at your own risk. :iduno:

http://www.youtube.com/user/homedepot?v=hoKXTlqmUb8

MercuryF1
09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
I have never used this product, use at your own risk. :iduno:

http://www.youtube.com/user/homedepot?v=hoKXTlqmUb8

Looks like a great product ... if it works as claimed! :yes:

4DI2D
09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Toss vanity to the wind and get elephant ears.
Dry, warm and you can put them in the saddlebag when not needed.

MSGT-R
09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
I got a really nice pair of Gortex winter gloves at the International Motorcycle Show and they seemed to work great!

For summer gloves, get yourself a can of that Silicone Camp Dry spray from the sporting goods section and spray them well.

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 01:49 PM
After reading your post, and the responses, I was "forced"...forced I say...to go out to my motorcycle garage and get my favorite pair of waterproof gloves, and bring one inside, so I could get the details from it, to share with you.

The brand name on these is CYCLOAK. They have GORE-TEX on the index finger, in large embroidery type, and the word KEVLAR in embroidery type on the strap that tightens around the wrist.

I have had this one pair of waterproof gloves for more than 10 years. I recently looked to buy another pair, as back-up, and because they work so well. Could not find what I wanted. These gloves are 100 % waterproof, and I have never coated them or sprayed them with anything. I consider them to be a midweight glove, as they are NOT lightweight like a summer glove, but they are also NOT super heavy weight like a cold weather Winter glove.

The tag inside says that the shell is nylong Cordura, and it says they are made in China.

If I can find another pair of these, I would buy two more pairs, as they are that good. With Heated Grips...if you have those on your bike...these gloves work VERY good in the coldest of Winters...unless you went with Gerbing Heated Gloves. These are just thin enough to allow a good Heated Grip to permeate the sheel, and warm the hand.

My normal gloves...Summer weight gloves, and custom made for me by a company in Centralia, WA., called the Churchill Glove Co. They make a LOT of the gloves we use on bikes. (those made in the USA). I was lucky to find that they are about 10 miles from my house, and I can go there in person, have them take a template of each hand, and make gloves for me.

Elephant ears are a good...old-fashioned..idea. I like them, especially in much colder weather.

But for gloves...waterproof gloves...there are many options, and few that are truly 100 % waterprrof.

Steve 0080
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=water%20proof%20gloves&asug=

Here ya go!!!!!!!!!

1951vbs
09-23-2013, 07:04 PM
In warm weather I don't mind my gloves/hands getting wet so I never bothered looking for water proof summer gloves.
My cold weather waterproof gloves are Tourmaster Winter Elite II. They are also gortex like my electrafried friend from Washington mentioned. Gortex is a waterproof membrane that also breathes so your hands don't sweat and mine have stayed dry for hours in some very heavy rain. Almost all my motorcycle gear is gortex. Alpinestar Boots, Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece and AerostichTransit pants. No need for a rain suit. My really cold weather gloves are Gehrbing heated and are not waterproof but it seldom rains when I find it cold enough to wear them. Snow yes, rain no.

NemisusDM
09-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Trick I learned at the track from some racers is to use nitrile gloves under your leather gloves when riding in the rain. Works really well and it's cheap.

Limbuck
09-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks all. There's a Cycle Gear within 100 miles of me so I'm going to go there to check them out. They have a First Gear brand that looks good. I like to buy face up when possible due to fit and all. Thanks for the input. Gloves are like most our good gear in that you get what you pay for but I'll pay for quality stuff. Thanks for the extra effort and research Miles going out to the shop and all. When Miles speaks, I listen. The only thing I hate about going to that store is that I know I'll come out with a boatload of stuff.

MichaelG
09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
When Miles speaks, I listen. The only thing I hate about going to that store is that I know I'll come out with a boatload of stuff.

Okay, Limbuck, then here is a trick to save you money.

Before leaving the house to go to the CycleGear store, fill up your saddlebags with all kinds of "stuff" from your garage, leaving very little to NO room to stuff anything else into them. That way, when you buy anything at CycleGear, you have to think very carefully...how am I going to get this home. With a new pair of gloves, you can simply wear them home.

Now, don't take the mini-van, as that involves a lot of packing and unpacking, just to make the same point. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
09-24-2013, 12:43 PM

The brand name on these is CYCLOAK. They have GORE-TEX on the index finger, in large embroidery type, and the word KEVLAR in embroidery type on the strap that tightens around the wrist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycloak-GT-Pro-Glove-Small-/280420400526

MichaelG
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycloak-GT-Pro-Glove-Small-/280420400526

Yes, those are THEE gloves. But they only offer them...on that site...in a size Small. Most of us would wear a size Large, or larger.

If I could find a couple pair in size Large, or X-Large, I would buy two pair, for the future use of riding in the rain.

Of course, I would cover them in aluminum foil, so that the lightning...or aliens...cannot get to my hands.:shock:

Hornblower
09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Of course, I would cover them in aluminum foil, so that the lightning...or aliens...cannot get to my hands.:shock:

Only you would be thinking about how to foil the aliens :biggthumpup:

Hornblower
09-24-2013, 02:59 PM
If you're really interested, I see this ad on Craigslist for these gloves in XL. Looks like the SF Bay area. Check Posting ID: 4037038004

MichaelG
09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
If you're really interested, I see this ad on Craigslist for these gloves in XL. Looks like the SF Bay area. Check Posting ID: 4037038004

Thanks Ken. I did send the craigslist poster a reply, and hopefully he will sell me his gloves. His are a size XL...and I had to go back out to the motorcycdle garage to retrieve that pair of gloves...again...and found that mine are a size XXL. Had bigger hands than I thought I did. :icon_mrgreen:

But I will be happy to have a size XL, as these gloves are worth it.

Again, thank you.

kjelders
10-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I recently purchased the Gauntlet Waterproof Deer skin gloves made by the Churchill Glove Co that Miles mentioned. 100% thinsulate liner with outer deer skin being waterproof. I actually bought one size smaller (med) as I normally wear a large. They are not bulky as other type gloves that I have tried.

MichaelG
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I recently purchased the Gauntlet Waterproof Deer skin gloves made by the Churchill Glove Co that Miles mentioned. 100% thinsulate liner with outer deer skin being waterproof. I actually bought one size smaller (med) as I normally wear a large. They are not bulky as other type gloves that I have tried.

Kevin, here is what "I" would do with those new gloves....

I would get a new container of either Mink oil, or Sno-Seal, and I would put the gloves ON my hands, then dip my fingers into the Mink oil or Sno-Seal, and get a large dollop of the Mink oil or Sno-Seal, and work that into the gloves, rubbing both hands together, wringing your hands like you just won the lottery. Really coat the exterior of these gloves...very well, and in excess.

When you think you have an excess amount on the exterior of the gloves, take the gloves over to the kitchen oven that you were previously warming up, to about 150 degrees, and then lay these gloves out on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven, and close the door. This will heat the gloves up even more...but not cook the gloves. It will allow the Mink oil or Sno-Seal to permeate the deer skin, and make the gloves more waterproof than they would naturally be.

Leave them in the oven for 30 minutes, then turn the oven OFF, open the oven door slightly, and leave them inside overnight. The next morning, remove the cookie sheet from the oven, remove the gloves from the cookie sheet, and...most importantly...remember to WASH the cookie sheet.

Then, once a year put an additional coat of either Mink oil or Sno-Seal on the gloves, without having to heat them up again.

Note: make sure you get as much excess oil or sealant off the palm of the gloves, so that they do not slip and slide on the handlebars and controls.

kjelders
10-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks Miles. Sounds like a plan.
I bet Momma doesn't let me use her new cookie sheets she just bought! :shock: :icon_mrgreen:

WCody
10-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I've tried the CYCLOAK gloves (and I still have my pair in a drawer somewhere) but, they still didn't handle the issue of water flowing down your sleeves under the gauntlets.

I truly have not found a 100% waterproof glove. Water-resistant, yes. Each glove I've tried, I've had to ALSO use the 3-fingered Gortex overglove from Rider Wearhouse to achieve true waterproofness... up to now.

Last year, someone told me about the BMW Atlantis 3 glove.

A few months back, I picked up a pair of BMW Atlantis 3 gloves and I have to say, so far they are "Da Bomb!". They're not a true winter glove (although with heated grips, they could work). They're more of a mid-temp glove.

The cool thing I like about them that will jump right out at you is that they have a double-gauntlet - the inner one is a neoprene sleeve that goes inside your riding jacket's sleeve and the outer one goes over your riding jacket's sleeve and closes with a water-repellent zipper. So, if water does somehow get under the gauntlet (i.e., flowing under the sleeve), it cannot get inside the hand area of the glove. In fact, the glove has two little eyelets in the wrist area that allows that water to flow back out.

Other features:

- back soft cowhide leather, palm is smooth cowhide leather.
- windproof and waterproof and breathable with GORE-TEX.
- adjustable Velcro fastener at wrist.

There are several other features which you can see/read here: http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-atlantis-3-gloves

Check them out.

Bill

FlyinF
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
My local Cycle Gear is pretty cool.........I asked for waterproof gloves and they showed me them and then said go in the rest room and run water over them, see if you like............for the price if they last a year or two good nough for me.