PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket front lights

kjelders
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Last weekend I ended up riding the last 90 miles in a downpour in the dark. Normally, I don't ride after dark, but had to get home in this instance. I have stock low and hi beam lights with EC single shooters in the lower cowl. I chose the single shooters for "being seen" not for lighting up the ditches, etc. I had a difficult time seeing as I couldn't keep my hi beams on for any length of time because of on coming traffic. A deer crossed the road about 150ft in front of me as I only saw it when it crossed in front of the on coming car. What are some alternatives to get more light up front on low beams?

MercuryF1
09-23-2013, 11:01 AM
I installed Hids for my lo beams from socalmotogear.com

Much brighter than stock. I am pleased with the results! Not sure if you can get more powerful fog lights though.

4DI2D
09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
I installed Nokya 5000K 70W bulbs in both low and high beams,
Not enough extra draw to harm the wiring and daylight output. They work really well and cost $25,00/pair!

kjelders
09-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I installed Hids for my lo beams from socalmotogear.com

Is it this kit (http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800_HID_KIT_INCLUDES_2_BULBS_AND_2_BALLASTS_p/gl18.htm)?

4DI2D
09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
You need to bypass the headlight relay to the oil pressure switch because having the HIDs flicker on and off when starting will burn out the electronics.

MercuryF1
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Is it this kit (http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800_HID_KIT_INCLUDES_2_BULBS_AND_2_BALLASTS_p/gl18.htm)?

That's the one! :yes:

You might also want to buy this from Electrical Connection to save your Hids.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl18-hid-cutout.htm

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Kevin, yes, you are on the right track. The info above is all correct. As with mine, I have the HID low beams, also from SoCalMoto. The link you provided is the correct part. And, as stated above, the Low-Beam cut-out relay from Electrical Connection is a must with these HIDs.

You want to install the EC cut-out relay first, then the HID low beams.

If you want help doing this, let me know, as I have done it already. If no help needed, maybe some advice via PM.

kjelders
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Kevin, yes, you are on the right track. The info above is all correct. As with mine, I have the HID low beams, also from SoCalMoto. The link you provided is the correct part. And, as stated above, the Low-Beam cut-out relay from Electrical Connection is a must with these HIDs.

If you want help doing this, let me know, as I have done it already. If no help needed, maybe some advice via PM.

Thanks Miles. Your help would be appreciated as long as you feel well enough to do so.

MSGT-R
09-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I have the relay, but haven't installed it yet. Where did you route the harness?

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I have the relay, but haven't installed it yet. Where did you route the harness?

Terri, are you saying that you already have HID's, and have not installed the low beam cut-out relay and harness yet ?

I routed the GROUND wire (black wire) from the cut-out harness down to the oil pressure sending unit, which is at a 1:00 o'clock position above the oil filter. By grounding the cut-out relay/harness at thye oil pressure sending unit, the low beam headlights will NOT come ON until the engine has started, and the oil pressure built up enough to ground the sending unit. That is the way it is designed.

The HOT lead for that same relay/harness is connected to the UPPER...LEFT...side of the Fuse Panel, at the accessory terminal. You must use the Uppermost terminal...on the LEFT side.

The rest of the relay/harness goes in place of the low beam relay, under the seat. The instructions for that part are pretty good.

BLACKBETTY12
09-23-2013, 06:47 PM
What is the part # for our bikes?

Steve 0080
09-23-2013, 09:02 PM
E/C Low Beam Cutout Harness...Part #02116
For those who want to up-grade to H.I.D. on the F6B, you should install the Electrical Connection Part# 02116...This part will put an end to the igniter going bad from being started and stopped and started again each time you start the bike...

The directions are straight forward,
Remove the seat...
Remove the lid from the relays by removing the two screws and then remove the relays in the bottom tray.
Remove the relay marked Head Light LO and place it in the new holder ( #02116)
Plug the wires from the #02116 into the ports where you just removed the relay..
Connect the Red wire to the TOP accessory screw inside the fuse box...
Remove the front cowling, and either the oil filter OR the horn to gain access to the oil pressure sending switch
Run the Black wire up to the front and down the face of the motor to the oil filter area, remove the boot from the oil pressure sending unit, loosen the screw and place this wire behind the screw and tighten, replace the boot and replace either the horn or the oil filter
Test unit by turning on the key...the headlight should NOT come on, start bike and then the H.I.D. will fire and come on...replace seat
Happy riding...great product and HID are well worth the time and effort!!!

Ebony Deluxe
10-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Just got SoCalMoto hids, anyone have a good link for non hid hi beam bulbs?

4DI2D
10-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Try racinglab.com for a wide selection of bulbs. Don't get anything above 5000K color temp as it starts to get blue and it impairs your night vision.

Ebony Deluxe
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for info,

Hornblower
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Try racinglab.com for a wide selection of bulbs. Don't get anything above 5000K color temp as it starts to get blue and it impairs your night vision.

You're probably technically right but considering noon time sunlight is around 5600K (and that doesn't appear blue to me), I don't think you really start seeing blue in light bulbs until around 6K. The HID's from SoCalMotoGear are 6K and, to me at least, project a nice, bright, white light. Similarly, the 960 lower cowl lights are 6K and don't appear noticeably blue. To my eye, anything above that color temp starts being noticeably blue.

Hornblower
10-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Just got SoCalMoto hids, anyone have a good link for non hid hi beam bulbs?

Since you already purchased the HID lo-beams from SoCalMotoGear, you might also want to consider their LED hi-beam bulbs. They are very bright and noticeable but don't expect super light projection down-the-road. I'm OK with it for my needs but you'll have to make your own evaluation. Still, each bulb draws only around 0.7 amps and color-match very nicely with the HID's.

Bruce B
10-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I had a PIAA bulb in my Valkyrie which was a big improvement over stock. Is there a simple bulb swap that will give reasonable improvement to the F6B lighting without getting into added wiring, etc.? What kind of bulb swap yields results without overloading the electrics? Remove and replace is what I'd like.

MichaelG
10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Bruce, the first thing I did with my lights up front was to change out the low beams H-7 bulbs with PIAA Super White bulbs, and I was very happy with that. Then when I changed all my headlights to HIDs, I saved the PIAA Super White bulbs that were removed. Now that my bike is undergoing electrical repairs (yuck yuck yuck) I am re-installing new HIDs in the Low beams, but putting the PIAA Super White bulbs in the High beams this time.

Bruce B
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Bruce, the first thing I did with my lights up front was to change out the low beams H-7 bulbs with PIAA Super White bulbs, and I was very happy with that. Then when I changed all my headlights to HIDs, I saved the PIAA Super White bulbs that were removed. Now that my bike is undergoing electrical repairs (yuck yuck yuck) I am re-installing new HIDs in the Low beams, but putting the PIAA Super White bulbs in the High beams this time.

Thanks, Miles. Just exactly what I wanted to know. By the way, isn't it both you and the bike that are undergoing electrical repairs? All kidding aside, I hope you're comfortable and recovering well.

kjelders
10-30-2013, 08:56 AM
I order the 960 lights (http://bikemp3.com/GL1800-960-Lights-HGW-LGT-G96.htm) Bikemp3 has for mounting under the fairing. I will mount them to shine more toward the outside to help light up the ditches while on low beams.

MichaelG
10-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I order the 960 lights (http://bikemp3.com/GL1800-960-Lights-HGW-LGT-G96.htm) Bikemp3 has for mounting under the fairing. I will mount them to shine more toward the outside to help light up the ditches while on low beams.

Kevin, these are great lights from BikeMP3. If you mount them in their normal mounting position...they WILL light up the shoulders of the road, just like you want them to. :yikes:

kjelders
10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Kevin, these are great lights from BikeMP3. If you mount them in their normal mounting position...they WILL light up the shoulders of the road, just like you want them to. :yikes:

That's good to know. On the last two long rides I did, I had to finish in the dark and a downpour and the other in the dark over Chinook Pass, when using high beams with OEM lights it lights up the highway and ditches. But with approaching traffic and low beams only, I couldn't see much of anything. Like you, I'm using EC Single Shooters Amber color in the lower cowl which is for me being "seen". So, I'm looking forward to mounting the 960's. Even though I don't plan to ride after dark! :shock:

MichaelG
10-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Like you, I'm using EC Single Shooters Amber color in the lower cowl which is for me being "seen". So, I'm looking forward to mounting the 960's. Even though I don't plan to ride after dark! :shock:

So, Kevin, where do you plan to mount the new 960 lights ? Are you removing the Single Shooter lights?

kjelders
10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
So, Kevin, where do you plan to mount the new 960 lights ? Are you removing the Single Shooter lights?

I'm not replacing the Single Shooters in the lower cowl. The 960 lights mount under the head lights.
Pete will be putting together a plug n play along with a switch I'll put in the left side fairing panel.

Ebony Deluxe
10-31-2013, 07:58 AM
Since you already purchased the HID lo-beams from SoCalMotoGear, you might also want to consider their LED hi-beam bulbs. They are very bright and noticeable but don't expect super light projection down-the-road. I'm OK with it for my needs but you'll have to make your own evaluation. Still, each bulb draws only around 0.7 amps and color-match very nicely with the HID's.

Just ordered those mentioned above, colors seem to match well in pics. Pricey little buggrs, Thanks again for info.

MichaelG
10-31-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm not replacing the Single Shooters in the lower cowl. The 960 lights mount under the head lights.
Pete will be putting together a plug n play along with a switch I'll put in the left side fairing panel.

Oh...so are you installing the 960 single lights...one on each side...under the fairing nose ? Rather than the 960 Dual lights, like the ones that can be mounted down in the lower cowling ?:shock:

"IF" that is what you are doing, then you "WILL" want to "AIM" them, so that they look a little to the sides, rather than straight ahead. When the 960 Dual lights are used in the lower cowling, with two (2) 960 units on each side of the lower cowling, they provide enough side light to light up the shoulders of the road.

But these 960 single lights, mounted up under the nose of the fairing, they actually allow you to adjust them side to side a little, to light up the sides of the road better.